Start by marking “Fablehaven (Fablehaven, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fablehaven (Fablehaven, #1)

Fablehaven

(Fablehaven #1)

4.10  ·  Rating details ·  126,951 ratings  ·  9,710 reviews
For centuries mystical creatures of all description were gathered into a hidden refuge called Fablehaven to prevent their extinction. The sanctuary survives today as one of the last strongholds of true magic. Enchanting? Absolutely. Exciting? You bet. Safe? Well, actually, quite the opposite.

Kendra and her brother, Seth, have no idea that their grandfather is the current c
Published June 7th 2006 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Fablehaven, please sign up.
Bisaya Reader u should ASAP, this is really a very good book,
spiderwick meeets narnia meets harry potter…more
u should ASAP, this is really a very good book,
spiderwick meeets narnia meets harry potter(less)
Donniemo I'll look at a book, read the liner, if it sounds interesting I'll begin. If I don't like it, I'll at least read 100 pages. If it do not get any bette…moreI'll look at a book, read the liner, if it sounds interesting I'll begin. If I don't like it, I'll at least read 100 pages. If it do not get any better I'll move on. Personally I really liked this series and have reread it a few times. Every once in awhile I'll think 'what an idiot Seth is' or gosh, this is dumb. but at 68 and an avid reader, I do not understand why they say these are kids books? I really like all the critters and creatures Brandon has to offer.(less)

·  126,951 ratings  ·  9,710 reviews

Start your review of Fablehaven (Fablehaven, #1)
Shannon
This book was mediocre. The author has some good ideas but the execution is terrible. His writing is amateurish and frustrating to read. None of the main characters are likable. Still though, I find myself wanting to know what will happen next, strange as that seems. I didn't hate this book but I'm glad I didn't spend money on it.

Seth and Kendra's parents are going on a cruise and they need to dump their kids off at their grandparents' house. Of course, Seth and Kendra are grumpy for being left
Ahmad Sharabiani
Fablehaven (Fablehaven #1), Brandon Mull

تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز سیزدهم ماه ژانویه سال 2012 میلادی
عنوان: آشیانه افسانه کتاب اول؛ نویسنده: براندن (براندون) مال (مول)؛ مترجم: میلاد فشتمی؛ تهران، بهنام، 1389، در
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

It's very rare, in this day and age of Harry Potter mania (and yes, I admit I'm a very devoted victim!) to find a fantasy story that can actually hold your attention. With FABLEHAVEN, though, new author Brandon Mull manages to do just that from the very first page to the last. Not to mention, thank the fairies, that there's already another book planned in the series.

The premise is simple enough: two siblings, thirteen-year-old Kendra and her eleven-year-old br
Kimberley doruyter
why can't i stop re-reading this series?

no matter how many times i re-read this i still love it
and i have got the boxset, a b-day present from my mom.

i love the whole series so much, i must buy myself the boxset.
Kathryn
Apr 29, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathryn by: lots of people on GoodReads posts
It was hard to determine what rating to give this book--I think 2.5 is my verdict. For "interesting concept" I'd give it four stars--but for execution/delivery only two stars. On "fulfilling expectations" I'd give it one star. This is one of the most disappointing reads I've come across. Thankfully the final few chapters were decent, so that saved the book from being a dismal failure in my mind.

Without giving away too much of the plot, I must say that this book is NOT really about caring for ma
Lindsey Rey
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
[4.5 Stars]
Eric
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
At first I was thinking, "Oh great, not another story about fairies." But after a while I realized that Mull puts some very interesting twists in his version of fantastical creatures. His adds some great morals and gives the reader a chance to see how great kids can be, as if we somehow lose sight of their potential when we become adults. A great read!
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
I don't know why I don't have an official review for this book, but suffice to say I've lost count of the number of times I've read it, and it will always have a special place in my heart and on my shelf. :)
Calista
This is one of the best kept secrets out there. This series is amazing and it's my favorite series after Harry Potter. It's surprising and twisting and you are just cheering by the end. Divergent and Hunger Games are great, but this is better. Check it out

This is about a magical creatures reserve run by an elder couple. Their grandkids have to come live with them in the summer and the fun is the kids discovering the magic surrounding them. Each step is wonderful and each book gets better and bet
Kimberley doruyter
reminds me of the spiderwick chronicles just better.

i have just noticed how much of a drama queen kendra is.
Exina
Fablehaven is a great opening book of the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull. It is about Kendra and Seth's adventures in Fablehaven, that is a sanctuary of mystical creatures.

Kendra & Seth. Typical siblings. As the older one, Kendra is more mature, careful, and sober than her brother. Seth, as the younger one, always breaks the rules, generating the main conflicts of the story.

Grandpa & Grandma. When Grandpa is out of the scene, Grandma appears and takes over his role. They aren’t distinguishab
Jason
I hate these children; I kept thinking either what horrid whiny little brats they are, or else what spoiled selfish raging aholes they are. Seth cannot learn an effing lesson because his stupid grampa won’t punish him for his horrid behavior, and he thinks it’s fine to just go around capturing sentient beings - any consequences that befall him lead to him being like “well we’re even now, so whatevs” after someone else rescues his sorry ass. And Kendra says stuff like “I thought you were just the ...more
Lanette
Jan 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who likes Fantasy
Recommended to Lanette by: Kellie
Shelves: fantasy, children
I really enjoyed this book. It's different from many other popular fantasy books, because there is a complete family structure included. No orphan, no "who could the mother / father be?", no "who's going to be the 'father/mentor' figure that gets killed?" Not here -- there's a mother, a father, and two sets of grandparents, one set of whom die before the first book in an ordinary gas leak. Due to their maternal grandparents death, they are introduced to Fablehaven and its mythical creatures. I'v ...more
Jolie
May 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
My daughter, Sarah, (8 years old, but a great reader) and I have loved this book, as well as its sequel, Rise of the Evening Star. She is currently reading the third, Grip of the Shadow Plague because she snatched it up before I could! Brandon Mull (another LDS author...they seems to be everywhere...) has created a vibrant fantasy series with great characters and snappy dialogue. Because there are both a brother and sister at the center of the intrigue, this will appeal to both boys and girls (t ...more
Angela
Feb 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
.I adored this book! Absolutely gripping and wonderful. Wonderful fantasy and strong characters without being too goody goody.
Recommended to everyone!
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Are you looking for fun and adventure - this is your book!
Are you looking for a light and easy read - this is your book!
Are you looking for magic and all sorts of magic creatures - this is your book!

Regardless if you're 14 or 40 - you're gonna love this book!

Fablehaven the sanctuary survives today as one of the last strongholds of true magic.

Kendra and her brother, Seth, have no idea that the
Sanaa
Apr 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
[3.5 Stars] This was pretty good, but I was a little conflicted about my rating. If I hadn't already read the Spiderwick Chronicles this would have gotten a higher rating, but alas I have. They had elements that were fairly similar and as a result I didn't enjoy this as much as I should have. I also think I'm just spoiled by Chris Riddell and Paul Stewart when it comes to middle grade. Regardless this was a fun read, and I'll definitely continue on!
Ann
Dec 30, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ann by: Multple people!
I find it very difficult to write a review for this book. I suppose I'll start with the fact that I'd expected the book to focus more on the actual "Fantastical Preserve" - ie, what a caretaker actually does day-in and day-out to care for magical creatures. However, there really wasn't any of that. Or very little at least. It was more like a giant patch of land where the magical beings could exist. Which, is fine, just not what I'd expected.
So, now for the unfortunate things - at least, in my op
Shauna
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I have no idea this book could be so awesome! I have to admit.... the cover scared me away (not a huge "fantasy" fan, generally....) but this was honestly one of the best books I've ever read. Fantastic writing for older elementary - but held me glued to it as an adult. Off to the library to get the rest in the series....
Brigid ✩
2.5 Stars

Hugo slackened his pace, and they came to a stop in front of the shadowy doorway. The church was completely still. There was no sign anybody had been there in a hundred years.

"I'd rather have the sun, but at least we still have some light," Grandma said, using a tool to set the silver-headed arrow to the string of her undersized crossbow and pull it into position. "Let's get this over with as soon as we can. Evil likes darkness."

"Why is that?" Seth asked.

Grandma thought about the que
Kells Next Read

"None of these creatures are good. Not the way we think of good. None are safe. Much of morality is peculiar to mortality. The best creatures here are merely not evil."

This was such a wonderful mythical magical read. Kendra and Seth are ( siblings ) the leads in this fantasy filled with fairies, naiads, golems and witches. This is my first Brandon Mull book and I can boldly say, I was left feeling more than satisfied with frequent nostalgic feelings of my younger days lol. Even though this is a
Joey Rambles
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it

I am so sorry. I just couldn't resist!

Did I just have really bad taste in books growing up?

Was that it? Because the more I read MG novels, especially the fantasy ones, the more I feel the urge to kick myself in the shin for not reading them sooner. But hey, you know what they say. You're never too old to have a happy childhood.

There is a lot that I love about this novel. I love the characters, I love the writing, I love the world that they live in, and I especially love the last line. (No spoil
Jen
Feb 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book after attending a "Meet the Author" event at our local library. I had to fight my 9-year old daughter for it..."Mom, are you reading my book AGAIN?" We loved it. Fablehaven is a fascinating place, brought to life vividly by Brandon Mull. But it was more than just magic, it had a moral and some very good discussion points that my daughter and I talked about after we finished. This book and its sequel were ones that you WANT to read with your kids. And both of us are waiting ...more
MitchL
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Easily one of the most entertaining and satisfying reads! Initially, I was not too enthusiastic over the whole "fairies" thing, but this book came highly recommended! I feel the hype; I experienced it. There are some exciting twists in this story. A great read!
Erica Henry
Mysterious. Magical. Action packed. A series I know I will recommend over and over, even though I've only just begun this journey.
Kamilla
Jun 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book was so frustrating. I wanted desperately to like it, but it was a struggle to keep reading past the first few chapters. I had major issues with Mull's writing style, and his characters were little better than basic stock characters. His mythology seemed a little bit contrived, and the history that was offered for it was sketchy, abrupt, and in all honesty kind of difficult to believe... It did show promise though, and I'm sure that the series gets better as Mull is bound to find his st ...more
Tara
While their parents are off on a 2 week cruise, Kendra and Seth are sent to stay with their grandparents, which they think will be boring beyond belief... but they couldn't be more wrong! Their grandparents live on the magical preserve, Fablehaven, a refuge for fairies, trolls, satyrs, and many of the things that go BUMP! in the night.

Overwhelmed and excited by all that the house and its vast yard have to offer, Kendra and Seth both exhibit very different approaches to interacting with Fablehave
Rollie
Oct 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
As Kendra and Seth’s parents off to a cruise, they visit their Grandfather Sorenson’s house for one summer vacation. But as they lived in their grandpa’s house, not just the rules are seem to be odd but also the place their grandpa claimed to be his own.

Kendra being the rule bearer and Seth as the rule breaker, one will try to break his grandfather’s rule while one will try to obey the said rule. However, both ways will unveil the secrets behind Fablehaven. And as they venture Fablehaven, they d
Ken B
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
5 STARS
✨ Gramy ✨
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read was totally impressed with the storyline, characters, and development. You are invited to stretch your imagination and interact with all types of magical creatures in this adventure. Of course, there will be some twists and turns to keep you captivated as well. This was a great adventure, filled with mystical creatures and magical places. Of course, there was a good verses evil battle to overcome.

It is chocked full of excitement, concern, humor, and mystery to entertain any age reader.

• The Red Pyramid: The Graphic Novel (The Kane Chronicles: The Graphic Novels, #1)
  • The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1)
  • The Unwanteds (Unwanteds, #1)
  • Magyk (Septimus Heap, #1)
  • The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1)
  • Fablehaven: Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary
  • The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
  • The Mark of Athena Excerpt
  • The Red Pyramid (The Kane Chronicles, #1)
  • Janitors (Janitors, #1)
  • Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo (Leven Thumps, #1)
  • Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1)
  • Fablehaven: Rise of the Evening Star
  • Comic Book for Blood of Olympus
  • The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4)
  • Dragon Slippers (Dragon Slippers, #1)
  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5, Part 1)
  • The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #1)
Brandon Mull resides in a happy little valley near the mouth of a canyon with his wife and three children. He spent two years living in the Atacama Desert of Northern Chile where he learned Spanish and juggling. He once won a pudding eating contest in the park behind his grandma’s house, earning a gold medal. Brandon is the author of the New York Times bestselling Fablehaven series and The Candy S ...more

Fablehaven (5 books)
  • Rise of the Evening Star (Fablehaven, #2)
  • Grip of the Shadow Plague (Fablehaven, #3)
  • Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary (Fablehaven, #4)
  • Keys to the Demon Prison (Fablehaven, #5)

News & Interviews

“Smart people learn from their mistakes. But the real sharp ones learn from the mistakes of others.” 1180 likes
“Drink the milk.” 351 likes