Start by marking “Assassin Study (Study, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Assassin Study (Study, #1.5)

Assassin Study

(Poison Study #1.5)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  8,401 Ratings  ·  615 Reviews
Yelena, the heroine of Maria V. Snyder's stunning debut novel Poison Study, is on her way to her ancestral homeland of Sitia to be reunited with her family and to learn more about her magical powers. An order of execution hangs over her head should she ever return to Ixia. But her true love, Valek, quickly learns that an assassin has taken it upon himself to make sure Yele ...more
Published March 1st 2008 by MIRA Books

To ask other readers questions about Assassin Study, please sign up.
Shima This isn't a book, It's a story and you can read it for free on the author's website. Just follow this link!
Kylie Stoneburner 1.5 means that it's a short side story between main stories 1 & 2. This 1.5 is a short, 15 page, excursion of one of the main characters from the…more1.5 means that it's a short side story between main stories 1 & 2. This 1.5 is a short, 15 page, excursion of one of the main characters from the first book. The author's website has a sugessted order to read her collection of stories, including short stories and chapters from other characters' POV.

Feb 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Read for free here: http://www.mariavsnyder.com/assassins...

This was very reminiscent of those ‘choose your own adventure’ books, which is probably simply due to the whole ‘letting the readers chose what happens next’ thing the author did. I will say that it’s a very bad idea to get on Valek’s bad side though!
Helena ✰ FC
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a short and sweet novella, and while it’s told from Valek’s point of view, it was a pretty unnecessary addition to this series. However, considering how obsessed I am with Valek at the moment, it didn’t really bother me all that much!

Is it bad that I ship Valek with myself? ;) I want a sexy and protective blue-eyed assassin!!! <3
ambsreads
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was way too short, but it has cemented my love for Valek and my absolute need for more of this series!
Manisha
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to come.
Sky
Aug 13, 2015 rated it liked it
I would’ve given this book page a lot less than 3 stars if it wasn’t 15 pages. Valek, the bae of all baes, is trying to catch up to an assassin who caught the order of assassinating Yelena, and is willing to kill her to be the commander’s second in command.

A few bumps in the road, a new ally, and I guess that’s it…?

I don’t even get why I’m writing a review on a novella that is 15 pages. Well, the basic reason was to explain why it got 3 stars not less.

So guys read it just to waste time, I guess
Maggie ☘ (Reader in Wonderland)
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Hardcore fans *like me* of Study Series
This short story is fast and pretty entertaining. Must read for fans of Study series and to those who are in love *like me* with a certain assassin!

“Knife fighting was his forte, but he wouldn’t have time to have a proper match. Pity.”

You can find it on Maria V. Snyder's website, here: http://www.mariavsnyder.com/assassins...

❆Francesca (Mother of Cats) Selina❆
That’s it, it’s confirmed that love definitely turns a male into an idiot. 🤦🏻♀
Valek, you’re supposed to be a cunning son of a bitch, not a dweeb who falls into the simplest and most obvious trap ever! You’re a disappointment.
Kristin
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
GrowingUp YA

I think I had an excitement attack (this usually involves flailing arms) when my friend told me about Maria V. Snyder's novella, Assassin Study

It took me less than a second to find the short story on Snyder's blog and then it was don't talk to me or I'll murder you, Valek style. Okay, so maybe it was more like this:

Anyhoo, as someone who experiences occasional pangs of Poison Study withdrawal, I definitely had my fix with this novella.

Assassin Study is a very quick read that takes p
Mimi
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, short-story, fantasy
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
This review was originally posted on The Moonlight Library

A short review for a short story found at http://www.mariavsnyder.com/assassinstudy.php

Yelena has left Ixia to return home to her long-lost family and learn to control her magic, but someone’s taken her execution order and is determined to follow it through. Can Valek, master assassin, save the love of his life without revealing himself?

I quite liked this story told from Valek’s point of view. I love his sense of duty and how he and Yelen
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
Update 6/4/15:
So good, this was the perfect pick me-up when I was having trouble sticking to a book that wasn't from this series.

Original review 10/4/14:
The second that I saw Maria V Snyder had a novella out it was on my kindle, and the second I realised it was from Valek’s POV my head snapped down and I was engrossed. I can’t get enough of Valek the Study Series and Assassin Study was bound to be a hit. The way that fans had voted on the outcome of the chapters was actually a great idea and I o
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Jan 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: die-hard Valek fans
This is an extra available on the author's website here:

Apparently it was written in installments, and at the end of each section, Snyder gave her readers two choices for how things could go in the next section (b/c the endings were rather abrupt and cliffhanger-like).

This was probably the best part, b/c of the two choices given, one would be the prudent, logical thing to do, and the other would be the who-the-hell-cares/guns-blazing option . . .

Every, si
Carol Chan
Jul 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
After all the 2-star reviews about this, i thought i might be sorely dissapointed after reading the novella, but it was fine. Yes, it was short and completely pointless to the plot but hey, it's about Valek and his POV!!! and because it's short it can't have an omg-its-so-good plot. i liked it.
But that's probably because i love Valek too much for my own good XD
Getter
Nice little novella about Valek, which I appreciated a lot but didn't throughly love.
Shannon
Waste of time.

Here's the plot in case you don't want to bother reading this:

(view spoiler)

There's no re
Lala_Loopsie [fire breathing B!tch Queen]
If you read Poison Study isn't a bad book to read. If you don't read it fine, but it's great.
Varsha
Jun 04, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm really starting to like Valek ❤ ...more
Reddish
Mar 02, 2015 added it
Shelves: ya
20 páginas de Valek siendo pura perfección.

“...but she had taken his heart with her.”
Nidofito
First time reading a 'choose-your-own-adventure' book.

Kinda meh, and I'm not sure some of the choices the voters chose were in-character for Valek.
Sónia Salgado
This was so shooooort!!! Great small story though! I can't wait to finish Magic Study!
Giota
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Meh!
Aoi
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
What the hell is this strange middle-schooler writing style :(
Merve Özcan
Sep 29, 2012 rated it liked it

Photobucket

Photobucket

Valek bu hikayede Yelena'nın bir kiralık katil tarafından takip edildiğini öğreniyor ve tüm işini gücünü bırakıp onun peşinden gidiyor. Gerçekten muhteşem bir adam, seksi birde. içim eriyor resmen.

Yolda tuzağa düşülüyor ve zindandan kaçmasına bir kadın yardım ediyor. Ona çocuğunu alacağım sözü veriyor, çünkü kadının kocası kızına büyü kalkanı koymuş ve onu annesinden uzak tutuyormuş. Valek'in büyüden etkilenmeme gücüde işe yarayacak tabii bu konuda. Valek Tam adlı katili öldürüyor ve onu, Yele
Sophia
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this short story and finally getting inside Valek's head! (I haven't read the new Soulfinder books yet but knowing that they have Valek's P.O.V makes me so excited to read them!). It was set a day after Yelena leaves Ixia to go to Sitia. I really enjoyed reading how Valek's mind works and his thoughts on Yelena (as he isn't always forth coming with his emotions in the main novels). I wanted to see more interactions with him and the other characters in the main novels but enjoyed seeing h ...more
Muse-ic ♬
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
That was fun!
Assassin Study is a short novella from Valek's perspective that comes right after book one.
Valek learns that there is an assassin hunting Yelena as she travels to Sitia.
Valek won't stand for the danger his love is in.
So he begins hunting the hunter, so the hunter becomes the hunted.

I loved seeing from Valek's point of view!! It was quite beautiful to see how Yelena inspired positive change in him and the ways his love for her altered his persona!

Quick and enjoyable read. I would def
Kathy
May 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
A quick short story giving us a chance to see Valek in action. Readers got to weigh in while the story was being written with what they wanted to see happen next. Takes place just after Poison Study ends.

Content: clean
Natalie
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oooo Valek you are so sweet a bad ass. Despite the fact that you are 33 years old and Yelena is only 19 you are still my fave :D
Eunice
Aug 13, 2012 rated it liked it
The best bit about this book is having Valek on the cover.
plot-line = killing spree. the end.
Paula
Jan 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-faves
3.5 stars. Quick, short story.
Sara (Freadom Library)
God, I love Valek much!
gutted. 7 42 Oct 08, 2014 09:17PM
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • Warcry (Chronicles of the Warlands, #4)
  • The Shattered Mountain (Fire and Thorns, #0.6)
  • The Trouble with Demons (Raine Benares #3)
  • Ferragost (Lumatere Chronicles, #2.5)
  • Ice Cracker II (The Emperor's Edge #1.5)
  • The First Star to Fall (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1.5)
  • Tangled Schemes (Elemental Assassin, #3.7)
  • Quatrain
  • The Lightning God's Wife (Master of Crows, #1.2)
  • Starcrossed City (Starcrossed, #0.5)
  • Kate's Origin (Curran POV #6)
  • The Hedgewitch Queen (Romances of Arquitaine, #1 )
  • The Invitation (Darkness Rising, #1.6)
  • Shattered (Shade, #3.5)
  • Fallen from Grace (Dark Mirror, #0.5)
  • An Iron Fey Valentine (The Iron Fey #4.4)
  • Reaper (Soul Screamers, #3.5)
When Maria V. Snyder was younger, she aspired to be a storm chaser in the American Midwest so she attended Pennsylvania State University and earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Meteorology. Much to her chagrin, forecasting the weather wasn’t in her skill set so she spent a number of years as an environmental meteorologist, which is not exciting...at all. Bored at work and needing a creative out ...more

Poison Study (6 books)
  • Poison Study (Study, #1)
  • Magic Study (Study, #2)
  • Fire Study (Study, #3)
  • Shadow Study (Soulfinders #1; Study, #4)
  • Night Study (Soulfinders, #2; Study, #5)
  • Dawn Study (Soulfinders, #3; Study, #6)
“He huffed in amusement. She had the unique ability to attract danger even when in benign situations. Perhaps he should amend his plan and just watch her.” 3 likes
“Valek's thoughts returned to Yelena. An icy finger of loneliness touched the emptiness inside him. She was in Sitia, where she needed to be to learn aboout her magical powers, but she had taken his heart with her.
Cursing himself for being melodramatic, he concentrated on the grim task at hand.”
2 likes