Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Extravagaria” as Want to Read:
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview


4.39  ·  Rating details ·  584 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Extravagaria marks an important stage in Neruda's progress as a poet. The book was written just after he had returned to Chile after many wanderings and moved to his beloved Isla Negra on the Pacific coast. These sixty-eight poems thus denote a resting point, a rediscovery of sea and land, and an "autumnal period" (as the poet himself called it). In this book, Neruda devel ...more
Paperback, 304 pages
Published January 15th 2001 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published 1958)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Extravagaria, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Extravagaria

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
Rating details
Sort: Default
ilknur a.k.a. iko ◬

size bişi diiim mi?
bizim şairlerimiz bin değil binbir kat iyi siyasi veya bu kulvarda takılan türde şiir yazıyor. pek çok şairin kitaplarını elime açıp okumamış olabilirim ama hemen her şairimizin meşhur şiirlerini iyi bilirim; o yüzden bunu net şekilde dile getirebilirim. bu kez mütevazi olamayacağım ve burada milliyetçilik zerre kasmıyorum, milliyetçi değilim zaten.

kitabın yarıdan fazlasının teması ölüm (öldürülmek). Çünkü savaş diye bir olgu var, başka malzeme de yok. neruda'nın siyasi kimliğ
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: b-r-a-ce-2017, 2017
Όμορφη έκδοση, με πολύ προσεγμένη μετάφραση της Δανάης Στρατηγοπούλου. Αγαπημένος Neruda, έτσι κι αλλιώς.

«Δεν υπάρχει χώρος πιο πλατύς απ' τον πόνο.
Δεν υπάρχει άλλο σύμπαν απ' αυτό που αιμορραγεί.»
Oct 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Pablo Neruda has been blessed with English translators who possess the ability to harness a powerful measure of the latinate genius that guided Neruda's bountiful pen, such that their own interpretations prove aureate in and of themselves. Alastair Reid is one of these gifted bestowers of Anglo access to Spanish verse; what's more, ever since I read Walter Benjamin's sentiments on translation I have endeavored to view all such efforts through the prism that he suggested. This has altered my appr ...more
M. Özgür
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kitapta toplanan şiirlerin her biri birbirinden güzel; yalnız okurken, Sessizliği Arıyorum, Sessiz Olmak, Alacakaranlıkta Kendi Kendine Konuşma, Ayağın Masalı, Firar, Güzde Unutulmuş, Gırtlak, Dönüyor Arkadaş, Kışın Oldu ve Hayvanlar Kitabı adlı bölümlerde yer alan mısralar çok etkileyici idi.
Herkese iyi okumalar.
Huda AbuKhoti
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Incomparably my favorite among the other collections I've read for him! Definitely different and worth the read, glad I read other sides of his poetry than what he's most famous for.
Mustafa Şahin
Neruda'nın hüzünlü şiirleri. İlk başlarda okumakta biraz zorluk çekmedim değil. Çeviriden mi kaynaklı acaba diye çamur atacakken şiir çevirilerinin ne kadar zor olduğunu düşündüm ve kabahati kendimde aradım. Sayfalar ilerledikçe ve kitapla daha çok vakit geçirdikçe sanki yeni bir tür şiir okuma şekli edindim. O zaman keyif almaya başladım şiirlerden. Kitabın sonuna doğru olan şiirleri daha çok beğenmiş olma sebebim bu olabilir.

İlerleyen yıllarda tekrar okumam gerekecek sanırım.
Meral Uyar
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5 'tan 4 verdim 😊
Mert Tuzer
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Şiiri kalıplaştırmadan, olduğu gibi bütün canlılığıyla önümüze seriyor. Kendisinin de dediği gibi mısralar organik, bedeninden çıkmış gibi.
Nedense Orhan Veli'ye de benzettim biraz: aynı dönemin insanları hem, neden olmasın - belki çok uzaklar, birbirlerinden habersiz ama aynı karmaşa.
Apr 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I have been reluctant to complete Extravagaria, Pablo Neruda’s book of poems published in 1958, because I was enjoying the poetry so much that I wished it would never end. In the past I’ve read much of Antonio Machado and Octavio Paz, but somehow I’d read only a few of Neruda’s poems (although his poem beginning, “I could write the saddest lines tonight…” moves me almost to tears each time I reread it over the years); recently I watched the film, “Il Postino,” which features Neruda, and was led ...more
Oct 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
my first experience with neruda was his surreal and devastating RESIDENCE ON EARTH. i haven't reread it for awhile but my general sense of its poems are beautiful spirals into nothingness, reflections on dark glass...

with EXTRAVAGARIA (written in his later period), i was at first a little suspicious of the book's gentle, resilient tone; but, by the end, the seduction was complete. of course Neruda still deals with his great themes--death ("you must bathe in your own grave"), time ("the moment, f
Dec 08, 2010 rated it liked it

my friend Tara gave me this after i devoured my other Neruda book, 'The Captain's Verses.' i first read Neruda's work in junior year of high school, and haven't looked back.
look, even if you don't usually love poetry, READ HIS POEMS. they are so raw and visceral and breath-takingly beautiful, i cannot actively describe the way they make me feel. (so much so that i got two of his lines permanently etched into my skin? yes? maybe?)

i'm only giving *THIS SPECIFIC BOOK* 3 stars because i don't alway
Michael Holland
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Probably my favorite poet, this book was written in his fifties, so it shed light on to his past and future with great wisdom, dealing with life and death issues, political agendas, the significance, if there is any, of our existence, how we waste time in our self-importance, how in the end, we are just human, flawed, and a dot on the sphere's map. All of this is written with great emotion, great use of poetic elements (metaphor and repetition especially). I love everything about this man, and I ...more
Suzanne Kittrell
Feb 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The Best Book of poetry ever. I have carried this book with me for decades and have had to replace it twice. I picked up again to read and reflect on this past Fall. This book never fails to please me.
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mona by: Robin Coste Lewis
Shelves: chile
Robin Coste Lewis read a poem from this book in her acceptance speech for the National Book Award for Poetry in 2015 (the video is here, fast-forward to 8:24 to hear the reading).
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Η μετάφραση ρέει, ξενίζει ενίοτε η έγκλιση τόνου σε λέξεις που θα αρκούσε μεταφορά στην παραλήγουσα, η έκδοση είναι προσεγμένη.
Κάποια από τα ποιήματα ήταν όντως όμορφα, τα περισσότερα όμως έμοιαζαν βεβιασμένα και αφύσικα. Φαντάζομαι, ισχύει στο ακέραιο, πως η ποίηση δεν μεταφράζεται, και πιθανότατα το Εστραβαγάριο αποτελεί τρανό παράδειγμα.
Tamara Evans
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
An excellent collection of poetry translations which range in topic from life, travel and the sea. I like that although the poems are originally in Spanish, the translator does an excellent job of ensuring that the English version of the poems encompasses the beauty of from the originally.
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There will few poets and fewer those who can stir you from within from this cataclysmic imagery. Neruda was and will always be a pioneer in this visual Imagery. This is the best book on poem I have read till now.
Richard Rensberry
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite poetry books of all time. Essential reading for any poetry lover.
Ragavendra K swamy
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-shelf
Robert Teeter
Neruda wrote this book when he was in his 50s, and it was one of his favorites. In this work, Neruda at once looks back to the surrealism of "Residence on Earth" (written when he was in his 30s), looks around at his current "autumnal" mood, and looks ahead, sometimes contemplating his own death. But always he remembers his beloved Matilda Urrutia, sometimes exuberantly as in these lines from "Autumn Testament":

You are my chosen one,
more tempered by winds
than thin trees in the south,
a hazel in
Luis Rolando Durán
"Entre morir y no morir
me decidí por la guitarra..."

Así inicia el poema final de Estravagario. Un poema de otoño que no resume, sino que representa el variado transcurso de este poemario fundamental de Pablo Neruda.

En Estravagario se reúne el amor más profundo y cotidiano, la visión política del luchador incansable, quién desde ya decía "dejé mis bienes terrenales a mi Partido y a mi Pueblo...", y la extravagante bitácora del navegante. Retazos de pueblos, ciudades y puertos, todas se mezclan en
May 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: poetry lovers
Shelves: poetry
From life on the streets to visiting the seaside, this was one of those poetry books that had it all for me. Honestly, I never expected myself to like this book so much. Maybe it's just me, but I tend to avoid books of poetry that have been translated. I also feel like something must've gotten lost in the translation, but I can't see how in this one.

So even translated from Spanish into English, Neruda's poetry didn't loose any of it's allure and glamour. It was gritty, but sparkled. An unpolishe
Ioannis Savvas
Το Εστραβαγάριο είναι συλλογή ποιημάτων "δύσπεπτων για ανθρώπους λιγότερο θρεμμένους με αισθητικές και πνευματικότητες πολύ διυλισμένες", όπως γράφει η μεταφράστρια. Ίσως κι εγώ να είμαι από αυτούς τους ανθρώπους, τους απαίδευτους. Όμως, η ποίηση είναι μόνο για τους παιδεμένους; Μόνο για τους θρεμμένους με την πνευματικότητα του "ειδικού"; Η ποίηση -και μάλιστα η μεγάλη ποίηση- είναι λοιπόν για λίγους; Για τους μυημένους;

Το Εστραβαγάριο είναι ποιήματα που αντλούν έμπνευση από την καθημερινότητα
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Open this book and get lost in its beauty.
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pablo-neruda
Sometime when we've stopped being,
stopped coming and going,
under seven blankets of dust
and the dry feet of death,
we'll be close again, love,
curious and puzzled.
Our different feathers,
our bumbling eyes,
our feet which didn't meet
and our printed kisses,
all will be back together,
but what good will it do us,
the closeness of a grave?
Let life not separate us;
and who cares about death?
Mustafa Aiglon
"Şimdi rahat bırakabilirler.
Artık alışabilirler bensizliğe"

dizeleriyle başlayıp "O zaman türkü söyleyeceğim sessizlikte" diye biten bir şiir kitabı. Fazla söze gerek yok: yüreklendirici şiirler hepsi. Mathilde Urrutia diyor ve uzaklaşıyorum.
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
"neden birini tanıyamıyorum
neden biri beni tanımıyor,
sanki herkes ölmüş de burada
bir ben yaşıyormuşum bunca unutuş arasında
hala canlı kalmış bir kuş,
ya da, tersiymiş de, şehir gözlüyormuş beni
anlayıp tek ölünün ben olduğunu."
Özlem Güzelharcan

Neruda'nin huzun, ask, hayal dolu, kimi yerlerde duzyaziyi andiran ve bazen mizah kokan dizelerinden olusuyor Kuruntular Kitabi. Neruda'nin ic dunyasinda gezinmek isteyenler icin birebir.
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
You don't want to answer me.

But the questions do not die.

Nov 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Probably my favorite collection of Neruda's verse.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • The Black Heralds
  • Sunstone/Piedra De Sol
  • The Answer & La Respuesta
  • My Life with Pablo Neruda
  • Words Under the Words: Selected Poems
  • Pablo Neruda: A Passion for Life
  • Poem of the Deep Song
  • Adonis: Selected Poems
  • The Ecco Anthology of International Poetry
  • The Sonnets
  • Save Twilight: Selected Poems
  • A Wedding in Hell
  • The Body's Question
  • Conversations with Gabriel García Márquez
  • Fall Higher
  • Almost Invisible: Poems
  • Negative Blue: Selected Later Poems
  • Collected Poems, 1948-1984
Pablo Neruda was the pen name and, later, legal name of the Chilean writer and politician Neftalí Ricardo Reyes Basoalto. Neruda assumed his pen name as a teenager, partly because it was in vogue, partly to hide his poetry from his father, a rigid man who wanted his son to have a "practical" occupation. Neruda's pen name was derived from Czech writer and poet Jan Neruda; Pablo is thought to be fro ...more
More about Pablo Neruda...

Nonfiction Deals

  • Astoria: John Jacob Astor and Thomas Jefferson's Lost Pacific Empire: A Story of Wealth, Ambition, and Survival
    $8.24 $1.99
  • A Secret Sisterhood: The Literary Friendships of Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, George Eliot, and Virginia Woolf
    $27.00 $2.99
  • Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Paradox of Choice: Why More Is Less
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Anam Cara: A Book of Celtic Wisdom
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Room of One's Own
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Ashley's War: The Untold Story of a Team of Women Soldiers on the Special Ops Battlefield
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Life in a Medieval City
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Surprised by Hope: Rethinking Heaven, the Resurrection, and the Mission of the Church
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Only Thing Worth Dying For: How Eleven Green Berets Forged a New Afghanistan
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Too Close to Me: The Middle-Aged Consequences of Revealing A Child Called "It"
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Creation of Anne Boleyn: A New Look at England's Most Notorious Queen
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Inside the Criminal Mind: Revised and Updated Edition
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Being Wrong: Adventures in the Margin of Error
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison
    $13.99 $2.99
  • How Dare the Sun Rise: Memoirs of a War Child
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Social: Why Our Brains Are Wired to Connect
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Love, Loss, and What We Ate: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Countdown to Zero Day: Stuxnet and the Launch of the World's First Digital Weapon
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Evangelii Gaudium: The Joy of the Gospel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Christianity
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Hidden Figures
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man
    $7.24 $1.99
  • Priceless: How I Went Undercover to Rescue the World's Stolen Treasures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Decoded
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lost Art of Reading Nature's Signs: Use Outdoor Clues to Find Your Way, Predict the Weather, Locate Water, Track Animals-and Other Forgotten Skills
    $15.95 $1.99
  • A Man Called Intrepid: The Incredible True Story of the Master Spy Who Helped Win World War II
    $14.99 $1.99
  • K2: Life and Death on the World's Most Dangerous Mountain
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Kant and the Platypus: Essays on Language and Cognition
    $16.99 $2.99
  • Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman, 1955-1967
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Twilight of the Elites: America After Meritocracy
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Art of Living: The Classical Mannual on Virtue, Happiness, and Effectiveness
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Come to the Edge
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Art of Communicating
    $9.49 $2.99
  • American Jezebel
    $8.24 $1.99

No trivia or quizzes yet. Add some now »

“He vivido tanto que un día
tendrán que olvidarme por fuerza.”
More quotes…