Start by marking “Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women Book 1)

Bringing Down the Duke

(A League of Extraordinary Women #1)

A stunning debut for author Evie Dunmore and her Oxford Rebels in which a fiercely independent vicar's daughter takes on a powerful duke in a love story that threatens to upend the British social order.

England, 1879. Annabelle Archer, the brilliant but destitute daughter of a country vicar, has earned herself a place among the first cohort of female students at the renowne
Expected publication: September 3rd 2019 by Berkley

Win a Copy of This Book

• Bringing Down the Duke by Evie Dunmore
    Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1)
    Release date: Sep 03, 2019
    Enter for a chance to win 1 of 50 advance reading copies of BRINGING DOWN THE DUKE by Evie Dunmore!

Praise for Bringing Down the Duke:

"A stunning blend

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 50 copies available, 1140 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jun 03 - Jul 03, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Bringing Down the Duke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bringing Down the Duke

Corina☞BookTwinsReviews
    I don’t read historical romances as much anymore. But there were years when I read nothing else than this genre. Spunky heroines, banter between hero and heroine, and women not afraid of going head to head with a duke was what made me come back again and again.

full review to come...

Chanel Cleeton
    Evie Dunmore’s debut is a marvel. Set against the backdrop of the British suffrage movement, Bringing Down the Duke is a witty, richly detailed, historically significant, and achingly romantic celebration of the power of love and the passionate fight for women’s rights. A stunning blend of history and romance that will enchant readers.
    Elena
    WHOA, HARD STOP AT 44%. I was enjoying this until their first kiss was his attempt to demonstrate how vulnerable she is to unwanted sexual advances, immediately following the line "She had never liked him less than in this moment" and her taking a step backwards away from him. HELL NO. I hate when supposedly feminist romances pull this utter bullshit. If you're trying to write a feminist romance, model decent consent practices, ffs.

---

Pre-reading comments: Fascinating cover choice for a historic
    Jessica B.
    Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Blessed with this early work perk read and OMG SO GOOD. I haven't fallen this hard for a historical romance in a long time. I think the more progressive setting (based around the first class of women at Oxford) was just what I needed and it's so evident that Evie Dunmore has done her research. And the banter + the insane amount of sexual tension (lingering glances were taken to a new level) was perfection.
    Moon Love
    Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    4.75 stars!

I had a feeling when I read the blurb, this book was going to be amazing...and I was right!

Everything is perfection or as to close to it as possible! The characters are wonderful and well developed. The story is complex but easy to follow. The slow pace helps build this intense chemistry that builds anticipation with every moment and page. I love how the difference in their socio-economic statuses was not glossed over nor ignored.

My only complaint is that I felt down by the lack of e
    nick
    May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

So good! I pretty much devoured it!

RTC
    Teresa
    EEK! I loved this book so, so, so, so much. It first caught my eye on Amazon when looking up another book, and then I was sad it wasn't coming out until September 2019. But when I saw it was being published by Penguin, I anxiously waited with hope that it would be on their First to Read program before it closed (wah). I never hopped all over a book so fast. This was all based on an adorable cover, an amazing blurb, as this was a debut author. I realize that I could have set myself up for a lot o ...more
    Billie
    May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Oooh...this is a longing book. You know the ones, where the sexual tension just rises and rises and you can feeeeel it crackling off the page and it's just...so...delicious. Add to that some absolutely knock out dialogue that runs the gamut from witty to poignant and back again, plus a hero and heroine who are both clear-eyed and pragmatic about the challenges they face both individually and as a prospective couple and what Dunmore has created is a love story with far more weight and depth than ...more
    Renee Rosen
    Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Review coming soon. Until then, add this to your Goodreads shelf!!!
    Jessica *The Lovely Books*
    Bringing Down the Duke is a book I didn’t even know I needed. I decided to read a few chapters and get a feel for it. Next thing you know, I’m flying through the pages. More like flying high—a romance high. Annabelle and Sebastian were a match made in yummy heaven! The way they met to the way the Duke look at Annabelle... *sighs dreamily* It was everything I wanted and more.

Even better than the romance was all the goodness that’s feminism and the ladies who fought to bring justice to all womank
    Jillian Doherty
    Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This brilliant romance brought me back to the historical gems that allowed my love for reading to bloom! it's racy prose are perfectly pitched against a Victorian backdrop.

With humble beginnings as a vicar's daughter Annabelle had to fight against a tenuous past to make it to Oxford and join the fights for the suffragette cause. With her powerful bluestocking mind and equally alluring exterior she's the idea candidate to win over the intimidatingly dynamic Duke of Montgomery.
    The snag in the pl
    Kelsey Hudson
    May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley
    Evie Dunmore’s debut, Bringing Down the Duke, was delightful! Set in England in 1879, when women were still considered their husbands’ property and were not entitled to vote, this book follows Annabelle Archer, impoverished country girl recently accepted into Oxford’s first program for women, and her nemesis, Sebastian, Duke of Montgomery. Annabelle is a part of a group of “radical” suffragists whose mission it is to target men in power in order to persuade them to amend The Married Women’s Prop ...more
    Lesley
    This was fantastic! Review to follow.
    Aarya Marsden
    ARC provided by First to Read and read ages before release date because FTR is an annoying program that takes away arc access months before a book comes out (yes, I’m still bitter).

Entertaining, lovely debut. I am surprised by how much I enjoyed this, considering that I’m ridiculously picky re: historicals and find most new-to-me authors boring. This is not the case here: witty banter + swoonworthy moments in alcoves (seriously, I think every historical must have a debauched moment in an alcove,
    Hollis
    I seriously question my life because I'm reading all these September releases which, particularly in this case, means I have a very long wait for the next book.. and boy do I want it.

Is this my favourite HR of 2019? I think it might be. I'm not quite rounding up here but man this is a strong, high, four star read. This has a plot we've all seen done a million times but omg Dunmore makes it feel fresh and new and fun. I devoured this in a handful of hours which, considering this slump BS, says a
    Adriana
    Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: romance
    This is one of those historical romance novels where you are acutely aware of its faults but you still devour it because the banter and exploits make it impossible to put down.
    I say faults mainly due to the fact that most side characters are barely even deloped and seem to be put in place only to move the plot along. There are little insights into who they are but you never really get a sense of them. They are introduced, but not explored. My guess is it's because this will be a whole series and
    Isabel Ibañez
    May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Oh gosh, this was adorable. I seriously couldn’t put it down. I finished it in ONE sitting. It’s historical romance and I’ve read so many, but this one truly stood out for its fresh drama and perspective.

Annabelle, our heroine, is incredibly smart, determined and driven, while the hero is everything you need in a brooding, closed off love interest. He isn’t charming, but pragmatic and occasionally harsh. I loved their conversations—so cerebral, and they truly went toe to toe. The pages made me
    Susan Sherman
    I loved the history of the suffragettes at this time. Dunmore wrote a fast paced fun book. My only complaint was you knew exactly what the ending would be from the beginning and the Duke attacking Annabelle was strange. It does state he is arrogant, but he could woo her a little. I guess there was the choice of bedside books and the intellectual discussions ,but it moved quickly to an assault in an alcove. Thank you Evie Dunsmore for writing an interesting book.
    Scharonna
    Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Absolutely loved it! I'm not really into the genre but felt intrigued by the cover. I loved the Oxford setting and the incredibly witty dialogues. This is a stunning debut that smartly combines history, romance and female empowerment. I rooted for Annabelle throughout the whole novel, she's smart, she knows what she wants and she's my new personal hero. Can't wait to read the follow-up.
    Evelyn Goldman
    I liked it despite it being clunky. If a problem presented itself, it was resolved in the next scene. Some phrasings were just odd, though I don’t think it’s because I’m American and the author is British.
    M Medina
    Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I had the privilege to read an ARC and I loved it.
    May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalleyarc
    I don't generally go for historical fiction, but this one seemed too good to pass up! I had a very hard time putting this down and I am very much looking forward to the follow up!
    Eden Church | The Required Reading List
    Review to come! *Thanks to Berkley and Netgalley for an e-galley in exchange for an honest review*
    Sara
    A feminist af historical romance? Uhh, hell yes!!!
    Vicky Who Reads

I wanted more from the suffragist plotline, but overall this was pretty satisfying!
    Jenica
    Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Really a 4.5. I loved this book, but the end felt so abrupt. 😩 I’ll post a more full review soon!
    Kristen
    May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
    full review to come but i really liked this one!

arc received from First to Read in exchange for review
    Scarlet
    Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    An enchanting read. I felt transported to the late Victorian era for a few hours, because the love story is embedded in real historical events and places-my favourite type of romance.
    Rachel
    Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Evie's writing is fresh and historically dense, and I really enjoyed her debut. Will definitely be reading the next in the series.
    Paula Pergament
    May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    No new ground is broken here, but Ms. Dunmore has created a story of two strong willed people facing societal obstacles they must overcome to be together. All the characters are well developed, and Ms. Dunmore has done her research into the era and the politics - both social and personal - of the time and place. I liked that the conflicts between the hero and heroine (social class, wealth, gender equality) resonate with contemporary audiences. The heroine is strong and smart, and its refreshing ...more
    Debut author Evie Dunmore wrote BRINGING DOWN THE DUKE inspired by the magical scenery of Oxford and her passion for romance, women pioneers, and all things Victorian.

In her civilian life, she is a strategy consultant with a M.Sc. in Diplomacy from Oxford. Scotland and the great outdoors have a special place in her heart, so she can frequently be found climbing the Highlands and hunting for wooll