Start by marking “Next Level Basic: The Definitive Basic Bitch Handbook” as Want to Read:
Next Level Basic: The Definitive Basic Bitch Handbook

Next Level Basic: The Definitive Basic Bitch Handbook

Discover how to embrace your best basic self in this laugh-out-loud funny guidebook from the breakout star of Bravo’s hit reality show Vanderpump Rules, perfect for fans of the relatable and entertaining books by The Betches and Andi Dorfman.

Millions of Vanderpump Rules viewers and podcast listeners know Stassi Schroeder as a major defender of Basic Bitch rights. There’s
Published April 16th 2019 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Next Level Basic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Next Level Basic

Meredith B.  (readingwithmere)
5 Stars!

I think it can be hard to rate memoir/self help books. This one is a little of both. I'm a HUGE Vanderpump rules fan so for me I was going to read this regardless of the style or content of the book.

You may think that this is all the juicy gossip from the show, Vanderpump Rules but I'm going to be up front and tell you it is not. There is nothing mind blowing drama that comes up in this book. However it's right in the name that this is the next level basic handbook. Stassi takes us thro
Basic B's Guide
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I feel like I’m Stassi’s Mom 😆. I’m just so darn proud of her. She’s come a long way and setting a fantastic example for youth today. When so many are struggling with identity she encourages all to just be themselves. Love this message and her humor.
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
Such a fun, light, read, which was exactly what I was in the mood for. I definitely recommend it for fans of Vanderpump Rules!
Lorilin
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir, own
I don't have much in common with Stassi. I don't care about musicals or serial killers or astrology. I'm meh about ranch dressing and fully-charged cell phones. I'm an introverted book nerd who would rather get punched in the face than blast my personal life onto the screens of millions of people.

And yet, holy smokes, I loved this book. I watch Vanderpump Rules religiously. Like, religiously. I'm not proud of that (but I guess that can be my basic b**ch confession for the day?). I just love eve
Kayla Brunson
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
“This book is for everyone out there who is tired of pretending they would rather read War and Peace or see a Daniel Day-Lewis movie about sewing than watch a Saw marathon and drink a delicious but basic AF cocktail like a Kir Royale.”

I have never seen Vanderpump rules or even knew who Stassi was when I saw this title at my library. But I must say this book was funny as hell! I listened to the audiobook and it felt like Stassi was just a friend talking to me on a trip. She was so damn relatable
Ashley (pawingthroughpages)
This was a nice fun read, just a few years down the line this book is going to date itself with all the overuse of "AF".
Tarasher
Apr 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
UGHHH I mean I wasn't expecting the next great novel but come on! I cannot believe how few pages there are and to make matters worse most them are filled with long lists where to buy good ranch dressing and hotdogs, as well as how much you suck based on how charged your phone is. Super Lame unless you are 13 years old.
Emily
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Excuse me, I am capable of watching the Kardashians and reading books. They're not mutually exclusive activities."

I feel like this particular quote was written for me, and I love it. I get shit for my love for reality TV, and frequently hear about how it's ruining the world and making people dumber, or whatever other nonsense assholes like to say. Yes, I love watching people being ridiculous on TV, but I also read almost 300 books last year, and have a college degree, so y'all can kiss my ass.
Up All Night Book Addict
I am still thrown off by the fact that Stassi Schroeder wrote a book. And when I say she wrote a book, SHE WROTE A BOOK! Not a ghostwriter. Stassi, in all her glory. AND she narrated the audio. I had pre-ordered the hardback, but when I saw she was the narrator, I downloaded the audio. I don't think I would have fully appreciated this book without listening to Stassi read it to me.

I want to say first that you most likely won't fully appreciate this book without knowing who Stassi is. So my advic
Marisa
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not the most cleverly written book I've ever read. This was definitely a run of the mill self-help book peppered with a montage of "embracing your inner basic self" steps - eat ranch dressing, never let your cell phone battery die, embrace some sparkle, and grab that 10 a.m. cocktail like you've always wanted advice. The book did give some insight into the inner workings of Vanderpump rules (which is what I was more or less looking for). Overall, its a quick read and if you are looking for a con ...more
booksbikesbooze
I love Stassi!! I’ve been a fan of hers since season 1 Vanderpump. I don’t even watch tv anymore, but Vanderpump is my exception :)

I’m an avid listener of her podcast, and I felt like 95% of this book are stories and topics I’ve already heard. With that said, it’s a quick read. The book is fun, filled with diagrams, VPR hook up charts, and drawings.

Honestly my favorite part of the book is the GORGEOUS color of the cover & back. Stassi rocked it. It will be on display for years to come :)
Hailey Crabtree
Apr 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
I've never been a fan of the whole "Basic Bitch" thing. Why can't we like what we want? Why aren't men called out? I decided to give this a go since I love Vanderpump Rules and find Stassi to be the funniest cast member. Unfortunately, her humor didn't translate well in a book. She's all about ignoring the haters and embracing whatever you like, which is cool, but where she thinks women should take the phrase back, I think it should disappear. Also, I can only read things described as "basic AF" ...more
Gabrielle
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Forever a fan of Stassi Schroeder, the reigning queen of Bravo's Vanderpump Rules, I eagerly awaited the release of this basic bitch manual. What makes a basic bitch you ask? If you love all things Starbucks, #OOTD, selfies & social media, analyzing the zodiac signs, and seasonal candles then raise your hand up high (don't worry, I'm raising mine alongside you). I highly suggest you listen to this handbook via audiobook because Stassi had me laughing the entire time- hence why she is my favo ...more
Chelsea
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
A huge fan of SS, VPR & her Podcast, but if I’m really living my Next Level Basic Life I have to admit this book was a let down. It was a shallow dive into what could have been a hilarious ride through Stassi’s drama & life lessons.

I didn’t learn anything that I didn’t know from listening to her podcast &/or watching her IG/ TV show. It plays back and forth between embracing what makes us “basic” & yes still finds a way to feel like school yard mocking if you don’t fall into wha
Lauren
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Vanderpump Rules is the greatest reality show on television. In its heyday, Stassi Schroeder was its villainous darling. Now it’s sevenish years later, she’s in her 30s, and a stable adult. She’s still shoehorned into the show, but she no longer has her old antics to offer. So, what’s a has-been reality star to do with her new stability? Write a book, it seems!

The title of the book and its main concept of “basic bitches” is both lol-worthy and eye roll-worthy. After deep analysis I’d say I’m
Karen Foster
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Total brain candy, but following Stassi’s advice, I’m embracing things that make me happy, whatever anyone else thinks! I have to say, there’s just something about Stassi that I love! Did this one on audio, smiled and chuckled my way through it, and surprisingly found some pretty empowering advice and pep-talks along the way. Just so much fun..... 💕
Kris Patrick
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I didn’t even know who Stassi Schroeder was before reading. I picked up because I thought it looked entertaining. It was!
Tami
Apr 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
I am so disappointed. I am a Huge Vanderpump fan, I also find Stassi humorous. Unfortunately this book is empty and void of any real substance at all. A third of the book is taken up with full page charts and graphs that mean nothing. Another thing that struck me was the lack of content the book was only 200 pages for $35 Canadian. I have read many of the housewives books and enjoyed them, I felt I at least went deeper into their history and lives. Not what I expected and I wanted to love it :(
Janine Slayton
I just love Stassi Schroeder. She's pretty much always been my favorite on Vanderpump Rules. Yeah, she could be super bitchy, but she was also really funny, and she OWNED it.

I feel a new kindred spirit with her lately, since she met Beau who is PERFECT for her (please don't ever break up you too). I was so excited that she hit "Chicago" on her book tour, which is where I officially picked this up.

I will admit, since I got this book in the middle of reading another, I started the actual book an
Tracy T.
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun book and great narration both by Stassi Schroeder (audible review)

I love Vanderpump Rules and if you watch the show you will love this book.

I really enjoyed all the tips she had. I even bought some green tint primer make up, airbrush foundation and hangover patches (which I didn't know any of them existed) So, Thank you for that Stassi!

This was a fun listen with several LOL moments. Next Level Basic has given me some goals!

As for the narration, Stassi did a fantastic job on her narration.
Ashley
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I love Stassi on Vanderpump so I had to read this book and it was pretty much what I expected tbh. It wasn’t phenomenal, but I enjoyed hearing Stassi’s thoughts and stories, though they were mostly surface level. I would’ve loved more of a memoir type book that was less focused on a singular “topic” (being a Basic Bitch), because I just enjoy hearing about Stassi’s life stories and routines. I don’t think it needed to be a sort of “how to” format. Vanderpump viewers might find it entertaining, b ...more
Lauren
Stassi is one of my favorite cast members on Vanderpump Rules, so naturally I was really excited she wrote a book and especially an audiobook I could listen to read by her! This book is somewhere between 3 and 4 stars so I’m giving it a 3 because it’s not like it’s a masterpiece or something I would reread. It’s also hard to decide what genre this fits in, it’s between a Self-Help and Memoir. It was a fun, quick, light read and I would recommend it. Even if you don’t know Stassi I think you’d fi ...more
Ashley Lanigan
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Oh because really why did I read it? I'm not even sure what it was about? A Handbook - no not really. A Rachel Hollis list of what to do - no not really. An ex-boyfriend bashing, Self-Promoting, novella - Oh I guess so. I like Stassi, she's funny on Vanderpump rules, but I'd rather read a self review of what life is like post-Vanderpump rather than what was here.
Jessica Peace
Stassi is and always will be my queen! The only reason this isn't a 5 is because of the amount of the phrase AF spoken or written in this book. And the fact that Stassi disrespected my Birkenstocks. :)
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fun, quick read. If you’re a fan of Vanderpump Rules, you’ll love this guidebook on living your best life by Stassi. Stassi is all about self empowerment and living your truth, and I love how she just preaches confidence in being yourself. Definitely one of my new favorite books.
Christina
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
If you follow Stassi, watch VR, and listen to her podcast, there's no new information in this book. It's a very quick, cute read about being your very best basic bitch. I like that and love her, but I wanted more juice.
Lyndall Rae
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I have been watching Vanderpump Rules from the beginning and Stassi has always been a favourite of mine. I love that she was so honest and just her basic bitch self in this ❤ ...more
Sheri
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Silly but fun!
Rachael
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A light, fun read. What I expected coming from Stassi. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would!
Kelly
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Stassi so I probably would have loved any book she wrote but the entire book was funny and entertaining!

• The Awkward Yeti's Complete Lack of Focus: Volume 1
  • Have I Got a Guy for You: What Really Happens When Mom Fixes You Up
  • If You Loved Me You'd Think This Was Cute: Uncomfortably True Cartoons About You
  • The Hidden Power of F*cking Up
  • I Has a Hotdog: What Your Dog Is Really Thinking
  • Dumbheart: A Get Fuzzy Collection
  • Tickled Pink: A Comic Novel
  • The Secrets of the Starbucks Lovers (Taylor Swift: Girl Detective #1)
  • Knock Knock Insults & Comebacks for All Occasions (Lines for All Occasions)
  • The Best of the Rejection Collection: 293 Cartoons That Were Too Dumb, Too Dark, or Too Naughty for The New Yorker
  • Always Remember to Tip Your Ninja: And Other Maxims for the Clinically Absurd
  • Don't Be That Guy: A Collection of 60 Annoying Guys We All Know and Wish We Didn't
  • This Is Why You're Single
  • The Devil's Panties (Volume 1)
  • I Fought the Law: Photographs by Olivia Locher of the Strangest Laws from Each of the 50 States
  • Unicorns Are Jerks: A Coloring Book Exposing the Cold, Hard, Sparkly Truth
  • The Owner's Manual to Terrible Parenting
  • The Werewolf's Guide to Life: A Manual for the Newly Bitten
Stassi Schroeder is one of the stars of the hit Bravo TV series Vanderpump Rules. Originally from New Orleans, she now lives in Los Angeles, where she films and hosts her popular podcast Straight Up with Stassi.

(source: Amazon)