Start by marking “Almost Innocent (Almost, #1)” as Want to Read:
Almost Innocent (Almost, #1)

Almost Innocent

(Almost #1)

Growing up behind the impenetrable walls of an English fortress, young Magdalen does not know that she is the illegitimate daughter of a powerful English prince and his murdered French mistress -- or that she has been a pawn in the struggle between England and France ever since she slipped from her dying mother's womb.

All she knows is that she longs for excitement. And the
Published May 1st 2001 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Almost Innocent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost Innocent

Naksed
Jane Feather certainly got the flavor of the era right. We get barbaric punishments (a man in stocks has a decomposing cat wrapped around his neck, to the utter delight of our heroine, for example), a beheading by sword while on horseback (very Game of Thrones), jousts, poisonings, and royal intrigue galore.

However, for me, the main protagonists were annoying and underwhelming. The plot was a hot mess that went nowhere. If you want a really good, riveting fictional story about John of Gaunt, may
Agnes
Aug 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Let me go on record to say that when I first read Almost Innocent by Jane Feather years ago, I was sympathetic towards the plight of the two main characters, Guy and Magdalen, and was in fact moved by their passionate love for each other.

However, when I picked it up again to read recently (go here for the synopsis, for I shall not summarize it), I wasn’t too enamoured of the way they deluded themselves into carrying on an adulterous relationship. Granted, Guy had believed Magdalen’s young hubby,
Gina
Jan 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
Veri
"Almost Innocent" is the one that started it all. This was my first romance EVER - it had illegitimate offspring , intrigue, love triangles , unrequited love and of course a happy ending ( at least for our protagonists )
Cheryl
Jun 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, medieval
I loved the characters especially the hero, Guy. The writing was a little frustrating because it was so wordy. Overall a lot of history and not enough romance.
Amy Courtney
Mar 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
It was one of those books that aggressively perpetuates all of the BS about women. Woman as temptress, man as can't control himself in her presence, even when she is doing nothing overtly seductive, man hits woman and it is her fault because he just can't control himself in her presence, etc. Man orders woman and woman obeys. That kind of stuff. I know this kind of thing is par for the course in mass market romance, but this was worse than usual.
On top of that, it just wasn't that great of a bo
Tiffany Cutshall
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing read. I received this book from my grandmother-in-law and sadly we lost her a week after Christmas. This book means a lot to me now and I’m honored she shared it with me.

I have just really begun to start reading historical romances and this one hit the mark. I loved the history, the romance and the intrigue throughout.

Jane Feather weaves a wonderful love story full of passion and characters that are easily to love. Highly recommend this book!
Penny
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-book, medieval
A little bit Game of Throne's.
Susan
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Ugh. Terrible. Way too rapey and torturey.
Amanda Ryan
Sep 14, 2011 rated it did not like it
Redonk Nutshell: Illegitimate daughter of renowned parents falls in love with her married guardian

On a whim, I pulled this off the library shelf because a) I want to read more of Jane Feather and b) I liked that it was set in an earlier period of history than what I usually read. So here's what we get:

Magdalen is born amid a betrayal of her mother, who was French, to her father, who is English. Because of her illegitimacy, she is sent off and raised with supporters of her father. When she turns
Lord Rose
I picked this up for $0.10 at my library's book sale, and I'm certainly glad not to have paid any more than that. I got through half, and I just can't bring myself to read any more than that. The blurb really doesn't give an idea of just how unlikeable I found the book.

The first quarter was rather slow. The first 50 pages were all about the heroine at age 11, and how no one liked her, and what an odd child she was, and how she developed a crush on her betrothed's uncle. All that seemed like back
Elle
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Setting: France and England, Mid-14th Century.

Heroine: Magdalen, the illegitimate daughter of John of Gaunt and Isolde de Beauregard, his mistress, who, at the opening of the book, attempts to kill him. He turns the tables, and as she dies of her own poison, the baby she was carrying is born. John considers leaving the infant to die with her mother but instead takes her and names her after a whore like her mother. Nice guy. Magdalen was raised on the Welsh borders by a man who pretended to be he
Josephine
Nov 12, 2012 marked it as did-not-finish
I'm sorry to say that I got through 37% of the book and could go no further. I can maybe allow for the falling in infatuation-turned-love on the part of Magdalen, but blatantly throwing herself at Guy while being married, then while pregnant with her husband's child, and immediately after her miscarriage is simply unexcusable. Love does not excuse all. I very much doubt her husband would be so understanding, despite their arranged marriage. If the roles were reversed, Magdalen herself being so p ...more
Kshydog
Apr 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
Although I finished this book, none of the characters truly captured my interest. The beginning made it seemed like she was an enchantress, but Magdalen just seemed more like a spoiled girl that was going to get her way in love no matter what. I liked and respected Guy during his first marriage. Then although he got caught in Magdalen's spell-driven ways, he was still well aware of what he was doing. Guy did earn my respect with how he handled her husband and tried to do the correct thing by the ...more
Sherri
Oct 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
I was in the mood for a romance, something I haven't read for a while, and I had this book sitting around so I decided to read it. If you like romances this is a good one, not exactly the typical historical romance and not predictable. Usually you pretty much know what is going to happen in these books before you start reading; it's not the outcome that we read these books for, we already know that, but for the experience getting there. This book was enjoyable because I was never quite sure if i ...more
Brandi
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
This was the very first romance novel I ever read. It opened my heart to romance and most likely my love for reading.

Sometimes it takes a book like this to create a reader for life. I have to thank Jane Feather for that.

My tastes in books has changed over the years but this one will always be held near and dear to my heart. Romance usually does that.

Anyway if you want to read it read it because you wont regret it and if you don't want to read it you are missing out but that's just my opinion.
Amy
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Doreen
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I spent a lot of this book not liking the heroine very much. She is spoiled and selfish, determined to get her own way no matter how other people get hurt by her actions. She ends up by hurting herself as well, and it is at that point that I stopped hating her and began to feel sorry for her. Jane Feather has yet to write a bad book, in my opinion, and though I struggled with the character the book itself is well written, and well researched. I'm glad I persevered with it.
Kimberly Adams
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of my favorite romances of all time. Sensual, moving, and packed with terror, action, and adventure! Magdalen and Guy are characters that I will never forget, and I love that he is her ward, and, eventually, her lover (much, much later.) She is headstrong and stubborn, but not overly so, a characteristic I like in my heroine. Guy is dominant, controlling, but tender- my favorite kind of hero. This book is beautifully written, and remains my favorite historical romance of all time.
Beth
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book was pretty good. I'm not too fond of books done in this time period. But as far as that goes this is one of the best I've read that's written in this time frame.

The heroine in the book is a little hard to like but you eventually can feel for her and understand her point of view. That goes for the heros in this book as well.

All in all a good book.
Lindsay
Apr 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book has long been a favorite, and I always enjoy reacquainting myself with Guy and Magdalen. Both characters have continued to live in my memory and often call me to revisit them.

This was my first Historical Romance (once upon a time and many moons ago), and it sparked a love of them that has not stopped.

Jeanne (love2cook)
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Back in the 1600's, when knights were in demand. Magdalen as a young girl falls in love with Guy de Gervais, a true knight in shining armor. However, her father the Duke gives her to a French lord to wed. This is the story of love, passion, betrayal, lust, abuse and the everyday life of the people of that time. I found it to be a good read!
J.
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
One of the most aweful books I've ever read...pathetic heroine...weak hero! Didn't even know it was part of a series till now...hopefully the others aren't just as bad but I'll never know cause I won't be reading them!
Booknblues
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bnb, medieval, romance
There are times when I long to read a romance and almost always try to find one with a medieval setting.
This was a fairly decent one, although I have no lasting feelings about it, so it is safe to say it didn't move me a great deal.
Annette Summerfield
Nov 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I'm not sure. I enjoyed it. The ending is predictable. You know one of the men has to die and you know which one it'll be or true love wouldn't win. The first part of it kept me interested. At the end, the whole fight scene...I didn't read it word for word...as I knew the outcome.
Judy
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a historical romance that takes place in England and France in the 14th century. It is filled with chivalry, rivalry, knights in shining armor and sinister plotting between warring families on both sides of the Channel.
Christine Strowbridge
It wasn't bad. I'd give it 3.5 stars. Of course I knew how it would end, so that wasn't a surprise, but the rest of the book was fairly good.
Nadia Land-Greene
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Pretty lame romance novel disguised as "historical". I only kept reading because I thought there would be more about John of Gaunt, but was disappointed.
Owusua Adwoa Ayeh
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love was the best of all.
Kathy
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found this to be an emotionally satisfying medieval read.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Jul 13, 2015 08:21AM
  • Fire Song (Siren Song, #3)
  • Stealing Heaven (Medieval #3)
  • Hidden Honor
  • In the Shadow of Midnight (Robin Hood, #2)
  • After Innocence (Delanza, #2)
  • Branded Hearts
  • Must Have Been the Moonlight (Donally Family, #2)
  • This Side of Heaven
  • A Courtesan's Scandal (The Scandalous Series, #3)
  • Surrender to Me (The Derrings, #4)
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • Speak Only Love (Regency Duo, #1)
  • Wayward One (Waywroth Academy #1)
  • The Heiress (Bride Quest, #3)
  • Scoundrel's Kiss (Medieval, #2)
  • A Touch So Wicked (Sin Trilogy, #3)
  • Almost a Princess (Men from Special Branch, #4)
  • The Perfect Wife (Lost City, #1)
Jane Robotham was born on 1945 in Cairo, Egypt, where her British parents were stationated. She grew up in New Forest, in the south of England. She earned a Master’s Degree in Applied Social Studies from Oxford University. In 1978, she, her husband and their three children moved to New Jersey. There, she worked as a social worker. She began writing in 1981 after another move, this time to Washingt ...more

Almost (3 books)
  • Almost a Bride (Almost, #2)
  • Almost a Lady (Almost, #3)