Start by marking “Cloud Boy” as Want to Read:
Cloud Boy

Cloud Boy

The diary of an irrepressible girl learning to deal with friendship, grief and growing up, perfect for fans of Jacqueline Wilson.

Harry Christmas and Angie Moon are best friends and almost-twins. Ever since they were born two days apart they’ve been partners in cloud-spotting, sweet-eating and treehouse-building. But when Harry is taken to hospital for headaches that won’t
Published April 4th 2019 by Walker Books

To ask other readers questions about Cloud Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cloud Boy

Carol Chu
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was so moved by this book, I couldn’t let go of the story after reading it. A beautiful story about a beautiful friendship between a girl and a boy in diary entries, it’ll bring you joy and hope in all its ups and downs.

This was quite a fast read for me. The voice of the characters spoke so clear to me in those days I read this book. I learnt a lot too about clouds, the different types of clouds and when they appear, and also about quilting when Grandma Gertie told about her ordeal in Changi p
Manon the Malicious
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical
I got a physical ARC at Deptcon 4 because Deptcon is the best.

Cloud Boy told the story of Angie Moon through diary entries.
I liked this format and enjoyed reading her story. Since it was a diary, the author wrote the book through a child voice. It was a very fast read and I enjoyed it. It was cute at times and a bit more unnerving at others, but all around this was very enjoyable and I would recommend it to anyone, no matter their age.
Brona's Books
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yes, there are lots of books about childhood friendship morphing into childhood illness, resulting in death and grief out there for kids these days. But every now and again you come across one that is so well done, you simply have to share about it.

Williams has written a touching story that is mostly told through journal entries.

Of particular interest (for me though) was the grandmother's story of her time in Changi prison as a child in WWII, that is told alongside the main story of Harry Chris
Lois (thecarrotstories)
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a brilliant book !! Written in a form of a diary from a perspective of an 8 year old Angie, I could literally step into the shoes of a child to see how they see the world and understand how they cope with life.

I enjoyed the friendship written in this book between Angie and Harry. Born two days apart, they are best friends and almost-twins. Both of them love clouds, Harry, cloud spotting and Angie, cloud drawing.

I also love that the author was able to include the story of Olga Morris who was
legenbooksdary
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it

This little book has taught me so much that deals with life, pain, denial and acceptance. I learned that there are different types of clouds on the sky and there are even names that I would never have knew only if I have read this book. I learned that there were people who suffered in Changi jail, Singapore and they sew and quilt to pass the time. I learn that we must always be there for someone whom we love dearly and stay close to them until the end.

I thought this book would be a light and en
Julie (Bookish.Intoxication)
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you so much to Walker Books Australia, for sending me a review copy of this amazing book.

Lately I have found myself reaching for the simplicity of a middle-grade book. And this one blew my mind. I immediately fell in love with the style of the book, it is read from the point of view of Angie's diary and it will sweep you off your feet.

Cloud Boy delicately deals with the idea of terminal illness and what it is like to be a child, going through that process, watching your best friend be take
Mary Judy
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cloud Boy is a very special book, filled with friendship, family, love, loss and the gift of memory. Harry and Angie are typical children with a bright and irrepressible friendship history. Their surrounding family builds a warm and loving background for the two to act out their story, full of day-to-day imagination, creativity and life. They are characters and a setting familiar to us all. But it is an emotional story. As Harry is diagnosed with cancer, and his health concerns take precedence o ...more
watermelonreads
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm a crying mess after reading Cloud Boy. PS thank you Pansing for the ARC!
This was a raw and painful read. Marcia Williams did a wonderful job of blending her words to give Angie and Harry very convincing voices. The format of Angie's diary worked really well and it gave a personal touch.
One thing that I simply adored was how Williams included memories of her past into the book. The fact that what she experienced was in Singapore made it really close to home. She went through a tough and a
Fiona
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Angie and Harry are almost-twins, born two days apart and are best friends too. Angie gets hassled by other girls about this, but ignores it. Their families have built a joint treehouse between their houses and they share Artcloud which represents both of them.
Angie’s great-grandmother Gertrude comes to stay as she was in Changi Prison camp in WW2 and the quilt she helped to make is being exhibited. (This is based on real experiences.)
But Harry gets headaches and is hospitalized and a lovely fri
Unicornsleepybooks
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jessica
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
First of all, thank you Pansing for sending me this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I really love this one. Contemporary children books have really surprised me this year. I adore how innocent and naive our main character is as a friend to Harry, who's always in and out from the hospital. Yet she is also showing how she's entitled to feel frustrated and she does understand what's happening to her best friend.

I also love the concept of them revisiting Grandma Gertie's past through her lette
idreamofallthebooks
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fast and enjoyable read that will stay with you long after you have turned the last page!

The friendship between Angie and Harry was beautiful and sweet. Their adventures together were the perfect backdrop for the more serious themes that Williams wove within the story. I particularly enjoyed how their tree house was the perfect escape for the realities of the world, and how it represented the need for privacy in times of intense emotional situations.

One of the most standout parts of the story
Aoife
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, a5, walker
Heartbreaking but ultimately life-affirming, this is a story that will stay with you for a long time. It's fantastically written and touching without going too far. I hope this book does well; it would be great in schools.
Kimberley
India
Apr 16, 2019
Satvika Menon
May 20, 2019
Marcia Williams began to develop her distinctive comic-book style at an early age: "When I was about ten and wrote home to my family from boarding school," she says, "I never wrote normal letters. I tried to tell my family about what I was doing in a way that was more fun. Also, my parents didn't let me read comic books, so I decided to create my own."

This former nursery school teacher blends her