Julie (Bookish.Intoxication)'s Reviews > Cloud Boy

Cloud Boy by Marcia Williams

Thank you so much to Walker Books Australia, for sending me a review copy of this amazing book.

Lately I have found myself reaching for the simplicity of a middle-grade book. And this one blew my mind. I immediately fell in love with the style of the book, it is read from the point of view of Angie's diary and it will sweep you off your feet.

Cloud Boy delicately deals with the idea of terminal illness and what it is like to be a child, going through that process, watching your best friend be taken in and out of hospital. It is moving, thought provoking and real. We see our protagonist, Angie, go through the different stages of greif, of trying to please everyone and on an adventure to the past with her Grandma Gertie. There are so many important lessons within this title.

A not-so-hidden gem within this book is the addition of Grandma Gertie and her letters to her kitten Rosie. Grandma Gertie was a Prisoner of War in Japan, and we learn of her resilliance, her courage and her bravery in that time. What makes it even more magical, other than that aspect being based on fact, is that this resilliance fits perfectly in with the rest of the book, showing that courage can come from the smallest of places, from a smile or a gentle tap on the shoulder.

In large, this book is about courage, resilliance and ovecoming your fears. It is about having the courage to truly love someone in the way that they need you to and being there for them, even when it is scary.

A fantastic read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cloud Boy.

June 30, 2019 – Started Reading