Start by marking “Atlantis Found (Dirk Pitt, #15)” as Want to Read:
Atlantis Found (Dirk Pitt, #15)

Atlantis Found

(Dirk Pitt #15)

Dirk Pitt discovers Atlantis, in a breathtaking novel from the grand master of adventure fiction.

Clive Cussler has long since proven himself one of America's most popular authors--a master of intricate, audacious plotting and "vibrant, rollicking narrative" (Chicago Tribune). But Atlantis Found may be his most audacious novel of all.

September l858: An Antarctic whaler
Published October 26th 2004 by Berkley Trade (first published October 26th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Atlantis Found, please sign up.
Rebecca Did the same, only book in the series that I read. It stands alone but I can see it might be better if you had some character background.…moreDid the same, only book in the series that I read. It stands alone but I can see it might be better if you had some character background. (less)

Start your review of Atlantis Found (Dirk Pitt, #15)
Jim
WTF happened to Cussler? Did he go senile & lose his touch or has he always been this crappy a writer? I LIKED "Sarhara", but "Atlantis Found" just SUCKS. After plodding through this book on audio for days, I started to listen today & his hero uses a string to tie 3 rifles together. Then he ties the string to the triggers, runs out of a cave filled with smoke & fire, makes a head shot & then shoots down a helicopter. There is a limit to my suspension of belief & this was just ...more
Tim Pendry
OMG! Holiday reading. Pure nonsense but this really is five star nonsense - an adventure with world-destroying comets, Nazis in Antarctica, ancient civilisations with messages to be deciphered, battles on the ice - what is not to love about it.

But, seriously, Cussler is not only a page-turner (something dramatic and usually unexpected happens in every short chapter) but his notionally cardboard characters are actually likeable or (in the case of the bad guys) interesting if not truly believable.
fleurette
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, adventure
This is my first book by Clive Cussler and, my oh my, I don’t think I have ever read something like this. I meant I read some thrillers with unrealistic plots but this story… well, this one is a genre of its own!

I’ve started this book as a beach read and then continued on the plane. And let me say that this is a good read for travel. The plot may be unbelievable but it’s easy to follow. You don’t have to be really focused all the time, it’s just a fun, easy read.

Also, you have to admire the
Harry Whitewolf
Aug 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: general-fiction
The only book I can remember reading that I gave up on after only ten pages.
Jerry
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a long book!

While this one took me a while to finish, partly because I've had less time to read as of late, I still had a blast with it. A convoluted plot, plenty of action, likable heroes...this was an old-school style page-turner.

Unfortunately, some profanity and occasional crude remarks were thrown into the mix. That may bother some discerning readers; for those who don't mind it, though, this is worth reading.

(It's ironic that this book involves a major disaster happening in 2001; we
Saw
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For some reasons, Dirk Pitt is better than James Bond for me.
Adrian
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Will it win the Booker Prize, No ! However is it enjoyable, well written, easy reading and fun, Yes !
All Dirk Pitt novels are similar in some respects, some more believable and/or well written than others, this is undoubtedly one of the best.
Yes the book has taken me 20days to read but I have been exceptionally busy and believe me the book is one you will have trouble putting down as you won't want to wait to see what happens to Dirk and Al next.
Ann Keller
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: action-adventure
Outstanding book! I was kept on the edge of my seat until the last page was turned - and I mean the very last. Marvelously written, great character development, and set in largely a forbidden climate. Most intriguing.
Eric
Mar 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Dirk Pitt fans
Recommended to Eric by: Eileen Buscemi
Of the three Dirk Pitt novels I've read, this was my favorite. I would even give it 3.5 stars if I could.

That being said, it still had its share of problems (spoilers follow):

- Why were the Fourth Empire so obsessed with keeping the Amenes' civilization a secret? Since their attack had nothing to do with another comet hitting earth, as the Amenes predicted, it seems absurd that they would go about killing people that found an archaeological dig from that time. It doesn't even make that much
Christopher Hivner
May 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Strange artifacts and writings are found in a cave in Colorado that turn out to have a connection to more artifacts found on an eighteenth century ship trapped in the ice in Antarctica. Everyone who tries to explore these finds is killed or an attempt is made on their life. It all leads back to a German family living in South America who are descendant of the Nazis and have a grand scheme to build the 4th Empire.

The pros for Atlantis Found are that it is a fast-paced action adventure that will
Kristen
Apr 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: action-adventure
In the 15th installment of Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt NUMA series, Atlantis Found, Dirk and Al return in another crazy adventure to save the world. In September 1858, an Antartic whaler stumbled on an aged wreck with a frozen crew and an obsidian skull. In March 2001, a team of archeologists gazed at a strange wall of inscriptions, before they were blasted away into the Colorado River. A month later, Dirk Pitt and his crew was nearly sunk by a vessel that should've died 58 years ago. Now Dirk ...more
Kiri
Ok I admit it. I adore a good adventure -- even the cheesy, over the top, omg end-of-the-world ramifications, mary-sue/gary-stu inducing kind - as long as the plot is exciting and it is well written. Think of it as cotton candy for the mind. Never good in huge doses but a delight to enjoy. I'm always willing to take on the most recent pile of Cussler novels an old housemate passes along to me to enjoy.

In this Dirk Pitt adventure we off into another historical mystery. I don't wish to spoil any
Barb
You have to love Clive Cussler, so unrealistic lol!!
Zach
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Entertaining enough, though all of Cussler’s books follow the same cookie cutter formula for plot.
Charles
Jun 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Annette mathews
"Expectation leads to disappointments"

I am not disappointed since I didn't have any expectation for this book. My colleague lent me this book .So I am glad that I did not spend any money for this book .There were times when I just wanted to cheat by skipping a few pages ahead but then decided against it since I knew the ending wont be any different either.It was so dragging and the thing which pissed me off so much was the continual praise of the hero by the author.The authors should make the
Jeff
Aug 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great book - Could not put it down! Great take on the legend of Atlantis. Cussler's action sequences are very fun and makes you wish the whole book was all action. But he spins the story/plot in w/ ease. His villains are always scary enough to respect them, and the tension toward the deadline of the end of the world builds perfectly.
Paris Reynolds
Apr 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
What a thrilling plot! Civilizations under ice, Nazis, city sized ships and all the fantastic action found in any of Cussler's books! This was a top 5 of the series for sure.
Claudia
This one is showing it's age - originally published in 1999 - what with the 'recent' crowning of Charles of Britain after Elizabeth II's abdication. The technological gadgets and machinery sound completely plausible. Especially the computer directed flight through South American mountains by the Moller Skycar which is can be seen in today's auto-controlled automobiles and semi trucks.

This one starts with a comet striking the Earth about 9 thousand years ago in the Hudson Bay region of Canada.
Whitney
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: holey-ships
Yay, it's my first Dirk Pitt book! I wish Nancy Drew had the budget that this guy has. Huge ships, fancy antique cars, an army of evil, ridiculously wealthy Nazis...

I mean, the Nazis are NOT on the side of our hero, Mary Sue, (cough cough,) ahem, Pitt! Dirk Pitt. Hey, has anyone ever mentioned that the hero's name in this book series is Dirk Pitt???

And honestly, Pitt is not the Mary Sue. The author gives his own name to a character, nicknamed "Dad" Cussler, who is living in the Antarctic and
Samie Foster
Jan 09, 2011 rated it did not like it
Douglas
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, predictable Dirk Pitt story.
Ritesh Kukrety
Oh my dear fucking gods.

A full rant coming up ahead.
Mallory
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clive-cussler
The discovery of an ancient but advanced lost civilization wiped out suddenly and without warning drives the plot as Dirk Pitt tries to determine why someone wants to keep this finding secret. Oh, and there are Nazis as the bad guys. Easy-to-dislike Nazis.

I've been a long time away from this series. It was fun being with the familiar characters again, but I was a little underwhelmed overall with this book. It's really good, but I realized the problem was Cussler has always been so far ahead
Holly Full Moon Bites Book Reviews
May have slight spoilers.

In this fifteenth Dirk Pitt novel by Clive Cussler, Dirk is once again saving the world from terrible, catastrophic destruction that would kill millions if not all people on earth; not to mention the plant life, sea life and animal life as well.

As with this authors' other books in the series, Cussler starts off from the very start of the events that will lead up to the present day—2001—and Dirk Pitt.

In Atlantis Found we kind of have two beginning parts one set in 7120
Fredrick Danysh
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
A thriller that contains lost ships, missing bodies, and all the danger that Dirk Pitts can handle. Also includes a quest for the Holy Lance.
Meghan O'Connor
Nov 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books-i-own
Very engaging. This was a freebie offering, but I wish they'd offered the first in the series rather than the 15th. While I like the Dirk Pitt character, I felt like much of the character and his life was put across as if I should know things already or get the references. I also wasn't too keen on the fantastical capabilities of the character given his relatively simple military background. He seemed... well.... too ideal? He can scuba AND deep-sea dive in nearly all environments, spelunk ...more
Ria
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely brilliant, it starts off exciting and just keeps going. When an obsidian skull is found in an old abandoned mine it leads to murder attempts, lost civilisations and plots to take over the world. The people involved in the discovery of the skull find their lives in danger and they don't understand why as they have no idea they have hit on clues that a faction called the Fourth empire are trying to locate to the Amenes, an advanced seafaring race of people who predicted that the Earth ...more
Mental Armageddon
Jul 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
To those who seek an adventure as grossly disproportunate to one's life of drivelous normalcy, there are few writers that can creat a yarn of page turning fun as Cussler can. I've been reading him for years, and while quite the extender of possible truths, why care if each page is what it is...fictional? The Pitt series are great summer reads, on a porch, in the shade, drinking a mint julep, instead of doing yard work, cleaning the garage, etc.

Who cares if the plots are a stretch for the real,
Jacob
Nov 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Atlantis Found, by Clive Cussler, is one of his classics. Dirt Pitt, the main character, who represents Clive, goes on another mission to find something that is only a myth. He travels around the world, looking for this artifact and along the way runs into trouble. Just like in the other books in the series, he always finds a way to outsmart the bad people and always finds what he is looking for. In this book it was not so simple; he had to use the bad people to find the artifact. This is ...more

• Mirage by Clive Cussler - Reviewed
  • The Tomb of Genghis Khan (James Acton Thrillers #25)
  • Pandora's Curse (Philip Mercer #4)
  • Havoc (Philip Mercer, #7)
  • Fast Attack (Hunter Killer #4)
  • Red Storm Rising
  • State Sanctioned (Dylan Kane #8)
  • The Devil's Interval (Dan Kotler #3)
  • The Sum of All Fears (Jack Ryan, #6)
  • Ice Hunt
  • Metropolitan Stories
  • Fatal Storm: The Inside Story of the Tragic Sydney-Hobart Race
  • Hell On High Seas
  • Under Full Sail
  • Four Sacred Treasures (Matt Drake #22)
  • The Girl in the Mayan Tomb (Dan Kotler #4)
  • Splashdown (Dane Maddock Origins #3)
  • Keepers of the Lost Ark (James Acton Thrillers #24)
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more

Dirk Pitt (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • The Mediterranean Caper (Dirk Pitt, #2)
  • Iceberg (Dirk Pitt, #3)
  • Raise the Titanic! (Dirk Pitt, #4)
  • Vixen 03 (Dirk Pitt, #5)
  • Night Probe! (Dirk Pitt, #6)
  • Pacific Vortex! (Dirk Pitt, #1)
  • Deep Six (Dirk Pitt, #7)
  • Cyclops (Dirk Pitt, #8)
  • Treasure (Dirk Pitt, #9)
  • Dragon (Dirk Pitt, #10)
“Not to worry,” said Giordino with humorous detachment. “If the inscriptions prove ancient, they’re probably nothing but a book of ancient recipes.” “Recipes for what?” inquired Helm. “Goat,” said Giordino moodily. “A thousand and one ways to serve goat.” 6 likes
“Two unarmed men against six loaded for bear. We need to even the odds.” “Got a plan?” asked Giordino. “I certainly do.” Giordino gave the little man with the academic, nerdy look a bemused stare. “Is it evil, rotten, and sneaky?” Gunn nodded, with an impish grin. “All that, and more.”   THE” 1 likes