Start by marking “The Truth Pixie (Christmas Series, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
The Truth Pixie (Christmas Series, #3.5)

The Truth Pixie

(Christmas #3.5)

From number one bestselling author Matt Haig comes a hilarious and heartwarming story, brilliantly illustrated throughout by Chris Mould

Wherever she is, whatever the day, She only has one kind of thing to say. Just as cats go miaow and cows go moo, The Truth Pixie can only say things that are true.
Published October 18th 2018 by Canongate Books

To ask other readers questions about The Truth Pixie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truth Pixie

Start your review of The Truth Pixie (Christmas Series, #3.5)
Hayley Smith
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
Read this tonight with all my boys and it’s just beautiful. Made me super emotional, read it to your children, with your children, on your own, lend it to friends and family - it is amazing!
David Schaafsma
I will be in the minority in thinking this rhyming 2019 Goodreads nominated children's graphic novel by the celebrated Matt Haig and illustrated by Chris Mould is just all right. Oh, the funky black and white illustrations by Mould are the best feature of the book, but the inspirational story feels a little flat, and I'm kind of annoyed by the rhyming. It features a Truth Pixie who simply cannot help telling the truth, which as you already know, can get you in trouble (why, just saying this book ...more
Cheri
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve read a few other books by Matt Haig over the last few years, but I think my favourites were the first books in this Christmas series (A Boy Called Christmas, The Girl Who Saved Christmas,and Father Christmas and Me) are so charming that I was really looking forward to reading this one – in order, this is book #3.5 of the Christmas series.

Wherever she is, whatever the day,
She only has one kind of thing to say.
Just as cats go miaow and cows go moo,
The Truth Pixie can only say things that are
Gemma
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fab story to listen to with children. It is hilariously rude and cheeky whilst providing life lessons .
well written and a joy to listen to.
Skip
Mar 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Not nearly as good as the other stories in this series, mostly because there was little depth to the story, although the rhyming was amusing at times. The Truth Pixie is lonely because nobody wants the cold, unvarnished truth all of the time; however, never hearing the truth is also a burden. Uplifting end.
Sandra | Pixelnische
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindernische
Best book to read at the end of this year, with a tear in my eyes, a heartwarming story and oh so lovely illustrations from Mr. Chris Mould, one of my favourite creative minds. Thanks a lot Matt, you stole my heart again and made me smile ♥
Raafi
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
There will be people you love,
Although you are clever.

Sure, life isn't always one big smile,
But things turn out fine, when you wait a while.

It's tremendous.
Anniek
I'd seen a lot of raving reviews about this, and I wanted to pick it because it was said to be sad but comforting. The story itself didn't do much for me, as it's definitely more suitable for very young readers, and because of that, I enjoyed the second half of the book a lot more, but it has a very uplifting message and I really did love it.
Inge
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“You will step outside, and see from the park / That the light is brighter / When it’s next to the dark”

If there's one book you read this year.. let it be this one. It's tiny and short, but magical and wonderful - a story about light and dark and truth. Well done, Matt Haig!
Shelley Wilson
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read a couple of Matt Haig’s adult books and find his words to be inspiring and motivational. His tweets help those of us struggling with depression to speak out and feel less alone. He is a legend in my eyes.
When I saw the excitement on Twitter around his latest release, The Truth Pixie, I had to investigate. Although it’s a children’s book I was instantly drawn in by the idea of teaching youngsters to love themselves – something we as adults could also work on.
The Truth Pixie shouldn’t be
Kate
Oct 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018
Totally overrated! A sweet enough book with a couple of poignant lines, but I didn’t think the rhyming was very good and the storyline wasn’t that magical. I have liked Matt Haig’s adult books and I feel this one will be selling purely because of the popularity of those. A tenner for a very small book too!
Mira | I Read Like Phoebe Runs
You will find the bad stuff has good bits too.
The bad days are the days that make you you.

A cute little book about the Truth Pixie, who is so fed up with always having to tell the truth, that he wants nothing to do with anyone anymore. The Finnish version wasn't translated to rhyme, which was a wise decision in my opinion, but the message was clear and important. I am glad I picked this up for my seven-year-old daughter to read during Christmas, she has liked it a lot as well!
Naty
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very sweet read!
Rebecca Rouillard
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Truth Pixie alienates all her friends by telling the absolute truth, however unflattering, but when she meets a girl having a difficult time she is able to offer some helpful, empowering truths for a change. A very sweet story, aimed at young children, about learning to cope with the ups and downs of life.
Imogen Gunson
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A light hearted short read, suitable for other children, or a deeper message that it isn’t all over... just what I needed
Katy Noyes
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Story-in-verse with a familiar character but a very moving read with intelligible life lessons for young readers.

4.5 stars.

If you and your children have read any of Haig's Father Christmas series, you'll remember the Truth Pixie, a creature who is cursed to only tell the truth. Here she has her own story, and we see her story.

Struggling to make connections in her home town because of her inability to stop saying hurtful (if true) things, she ends up meeting a sad human child, but finds her curs
Elin Adler
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hcf
This was truly a Beautiful rythmic story about a girl who cant lie and only say the truth. But sometimes its not Always good to do so because no one wants to be around her because they Think she is mean.

And She doesnt like herself which is very important. But we soon find out that true friends love you no matter what and sometimes the truth might hurt but its just what we need to hear. Wonderful message.
The Book Sheelf
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Matt Haig giving us another masterclass, this time in tackling mental health with subtlety and so much heart. Well worth reading whether you're a 'grown up' or a parent sharing the story with a child. Illustrations are gorgeous too!
Jami
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful book. I know it’s meant for children but I read it aloud to myself and actually shed a few tears. There are lessons to be learned for both the young and not-so-young in this book.
Tea
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Truth pixie is just so emotional.
This is a very short story and yet so powerful. The truth Pixie can only tell the truth and because of this it make her sad. People don't wont to be around her anymore because of it.

I have anxiety and have been having a really rough few months. I don't have any friends or family. I have to deal with everything on my own. and this book just... the words just meant everything they made me smile. I have taken so many photos on my phone of my favourite parts. I
LibraryLass
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Powerful story with delightful illustrations.
Kendall
Great fun!
Ain Ashura
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: physical-books
"There will be people you love,
Although you are clever.

But listen hard, and listen good,
Life might not go as it should,
But you are young and your life will be magic,
It will be happy and funny and sometimes tragic.

Don't forget who you are. You are a fighter.
As the dark in the sky makes the stars shine brighter,
You will find the bad stuff has good bits too.
The bad days are the days that makes you you.

You can't always see go
Roisin McShane
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A storyline and lesson for all ages. A thought-provoking read that can be picked up again and again. It’s storyline can be brought into all aspects of life; grief, love, loss etc. I have marked the majority of passages as I can relate it to how I feel at present.

A feel good book with a remarkable story. What more could you want or expect from such an amazing author?! Shoutout to my aunt Siobhan and cousin Áine for the recommendation.

Mehsi
This was a delightful little book about a sweet pixie named the Truth Pixie. She cannot lie and that causes her to lead a lonely life. No one really wants to hear the truth, and she can be pretty blunt about it when people ask her or she has to tell the truth. But I still felt sorry for her that she was cursed/blessed by this power. All she wants is friends, a family, someone who loves her. The ending was so beautiful and so sweet, and I was so happy. Of course the book is also delightfully illu ...more
Dhanada Mishra
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read a children's book after a long long time just because it was written by my favorite author Matt Haig. It was a delightful read with a wonderful message. A must read for every child and adult alike.
Jojobooks Higgins
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I put this book up there with the best of Dahl and Dr. Seuss.
Such a warm and comforting book for children.
It’s like “Reasons To Stay Alive” but for kids!
And my kids loved the artwork too.
Buy this book!
Elwen
The Truth Pixie is already one of my favorite characters in the series, but now I love her even more. Her story is such a sweet little gem. It's all in rhymes and with lots of illustrations; you can enjoy it easily in one sitting. And you will close it with a big smile in your face :-)
Kelly Hoggons (Velvet Library)
I've loved all the books I've read in the Christmas series so far, but I think this one is the most special. No one tackles mental health quite like Matt Haig, and this tiny book has the best way of explaining why sadness is a part of life, and that's okay.

• Dodo
  • Charlie Changes Into a Chicken
  • Mortina e l'odioso cugino
  • Kahden isän Ebba
  • Anni kaverinkesyttäjä
  • Pöllitty pallo (FC Wannaplay,#1)
  • Taltuta klassikko!
  • Suojaava kerros ilmaa
  • Malamander (The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea, #1)
  • Ellen T.
  • Memento mori
  • Maalarisiskot
  • Villitalo
Matt Haig was born in Sheffield, England in1975. He writes books for both adults and children, often blending the worlds of domestic reality and outright fantasy, with a quirky twist. His bestselling novels are translated into 28 languages. The Guardian has described his writing as 'delightfully weird' and the New York Times has called him 'a novelist of great talent' whose writing is 'funny, rive ...more

Christmas (4 books)
  • A Boy Called Christmas (Christmas, #1)
  • The Girl Who Saved Christmas (Christmas, #2)
  • Father Christmas and Me (Christmas, #3)