Start by marking “The Truth Pixie (Christmas Series, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
The Truth Pixie (Christmas Series, #3.5)

The Truth Pixie

(Christmas #3.5)

From number one bestselling author Matt Haig comes a hilarious and heartwarming story, brilliantly illustrated throughout by Chris Mould

Wherever she is, whatever the day, She only has one kind of thing to say. Just as cats go miaow and cows go moo, The Truth Pixie can only say things that are true.
Published October 18th 2018 by Canongate Books

To ask other readers questions about The Truth Pixie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truth Pixie

Start your review of The Truth Pixie (Christmas Series, #3.5)
Hayley Smith
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
Read this tonight with all my boys and it’s just beautiful. Made me super emotional, read it to your children, with your children, on your own, lend it to friends and family - it is amazing!
Dave Schaafsma
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
I will be in the minority in thinking this rhyming 2019 Goodreads nominated children's graphic novel by the celebrated Matt Haig and illustrated by Chris Mould is just all right. Oh, the funky black and white illustrations by Mould are the best feature of the book, but the inspirational story feels a little flat, and I'm kind of annoyed by the rhyming. It features a Truth Pixie who simply cannot help telling the truth, which as you already know, can get you in trouble (why, just saying this book ...more
Anniek
I'd seen a lot of raving reviews about this, and I wanted to pick it because it was said to be sad but comforting. The story itself didn't do much for me, as it's definitely more suitable for very young readers, and because of that, I enjoyed the second half of the book a lot more, but it has a very uplifting message and I really did love it. ...more
Cheri
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve read a few other books by Matt Haig over the last few years, but I think my favourites were the first books in this Christmas series (A Boy Called Christmas, The Girl Who Saved Christmas,and Father Christmas and Me) are so charming that I was really looking forward to reading this one – in order, this is book #3.5 of the Christmas series.

Wherever she is, whatever the day,
She only has one kind of thing to say.
Just as cats go miaow and cows go moo,
The Truth Pixie can only say things that are
Gemma
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fab story to listen to with children. It is hilariously rude and cheeky whilst providing life lessons .
well written and a joy to listen to.
Skip
Mar 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Not nearly as good as the other stories in this series, mostly because there was little depth to the story, although the rhyming was amusing at times. The Truth Pixie is lonely because nobody wants the cold, unvarnished truth all of the time; however, never hearing the truth is also a burden. Uplifting end.
April (Aprilius Maximus)
3.) Father Christmas and Me ★★★★

1.) The Truth Pixie ★★★★
2.) The Truth Pixie Goes to School ★★★.5

-----------------------------------------------

"Don't forget who you are. You are a fighter.
You will find the bad stuff has good bits too.
The bad days are the days that make you you."

[trigger warnings are listed at the bottom of this review and may contain spoilers]

★★★★

This was
Raafi
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
There will be people you love,
Who can't stay for ever,
And there will be things you can't fix,
Although you are clever.

Sure, life isn't always one big smile,
But things turn out fine, when you wait a while.

It's tremendous.
Sandra | Pixelnische
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindernische
Best book to read at the end of this year, with a tear in my eyes, a heartwarming story and oh so lovely illustrations from Mr. Chris Mould, one of my favourite creative minds. Thanks a lot Matt, you stole my heart again and made me smile ♥
Sonali Dabade
Feb 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-reads
This children's book by Matt Haig - who is one of my favorite authors of all time - is all the truth you need in your life. I'm so glad I read it, especially because it took me back to my own childhood and made me wish I knew these things back then!

I mean, the rhymes are a leeeeetle childish, but to be fair, it IS a children's book after all. :)
Yvonne (It's All About Books)

Finished reading: December 9th 2020

“Don't forget who you are. You are a fighter.
The bad days are the days that make you you.

But you will never know happy unless you know sad.”

(view spoiler)
Britsbookworld
Nov 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-2020
Such a sweet little book :)
Inge
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“You will step outside, and see from the park / That the light is brighter / When it’s next to the dark”

If there's one book you read this year.. let it be this one. It's tiny and short, but magical and wonderful - a story about light and dark and truth. Well done, Matt Haig!
Shelley Wilson
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read a couple of Matt Haig’s adult books and find his words to be inspiring and motivational. His tweets help those of us struggling with depression to speak out and feel less alone. He is a legend in my eyes.
When I saw the excitement on Twitter around his latest release, The Truth Pixie, I had to investigate. Although it’s a children’s book I was instantly drawn in by the idea of teaching youngsters to love themselves – something we as adults could also work on.
The Truth Pixie shouldn’t be
Queen Ophilia III
This was truly a Beautiful rythmic story about a girl who cant lie and only say the truth. But sometimes its not Always good to do so because no one wants to be around her because they Think she is mean.

And She doesnt like herself which is very important. But we soon find out that true friends love you no matter what and sometimes the truth might hurt but its just what we need to hear. Wonderful message.
Kate
Oct 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018
Totally overrated! A sweet enough book with a couple of poignant lines, but I didn’t think the rhyming was very good and the storyline wasn’t that magical. I have liked Matt Haig’s adult books and I feel this one will be selling purely because of the popularity of those. A tenner for a very small book too!
Brie
Dec 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Read this out loud in one sitting to my 6.5 year old son. We both loved it - the rhyming made it lovely to read out loud and the illustrations added to the magic. But it was the message that really meant something to us and opened up a wonderful discussion between me and my son about the importance of good days and bad days and why you can have one without the other. My son had big emotions and often feels the weight of the world on his shoulders on a “bad” day and this was the perfect story for ...more
Naty
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very sweet read!
Rebecca Rouillard
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Truth Pixie alienates all her friends by telling the absolute truth, however unflattering, but when she meets a girl having a difficult time she is able to offer some helpful, empowering truths for a change. A very sweet story, aimed at young children, about learning to cope with the ups and downs of life.
Imogen Gunson
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A light hearted short read, suitable for other children, or a deeper message that it isn’t all over... just what I needed
Katy Kelly
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Story-in-verse with a familiar character but a very moving read with intelligible life lessons for young readers.

4.5 stars.

If you and your children have read any of Haig's Father Christmas series, you'll remember the Truth Pixie, a creature who is cursed to only tell the truth. Here she has her own story, and we see her story.

Struggling to make connections in her home town because of her inability to stop saying hurtful (if true) things, she ends up meeting a sad human child, but finds her curs
Maria Roxana
”Truth shouldn't hurt people.” ...more
The Book Sheelf
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Matt Haig giving us another masterclass, this time in tackling mental health with subtlety and so much heart. Well worth reading whether you're a 'grown up' or a parent sharing the story with a child. Illustrations are gorgeous too! ...more
Jami
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful book. I know it’s meant for children but I read it aloud to myself and actually shed a few tears. There are lessons to be learned for both the young and not-so-young in this book.
Lost In Lit
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a beautifully written book! So much to talk about with my class and they absolutely loved it.
They loved playing guess the next word with the rhymes and discussing all of the characters feelings.

I had to stop myself from crying in front of a class of 28 children but oh my goodness. One of them said to me at the end ‘I never thought about how you have to sometimes be sad to get what being happy is’ and I loved that they showed they understood it!
Mira | I Read Like Phoebe Runs
The bad days are the days that make you you.

A cute little book about the Truth Pixie, who is so fed up with always having to tell the truth, that he wants nothing to do with anyone anymore. The Finnish version wasn't translated to rhyme, which was a wise decision in my opinion, but the message was clear and important. I am glad I picked this up for my seven-year-old daughter to read during Christmas, she has liked it a lot as well!
Laura A. Barton
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Books don’t always have to be large, complex works of literature in order to make an impact. The Truth Pixie’s depth and breadth is in its simplicity and the message shared can resonate with people of all ages.
Elwen
The Truth Pixie is already one of my favorite characters in the series, but now I love her even more. Her story is such a sweet little gem. It's all in rhymes and with lots of illustrations; you can enjoy it easily in one sitting. And you will close it with a big smile in your face :-) ...more
LibraryLass
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Powerful story with delightful illustrations.
Sara
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book read with my girls, funny, sad, happy, important message you’ll never know happy unless you know sad 🖤

• Neiti Kymenen ihmeellinen talo
  • Dave the Unicorn: Welcome to Unicorn School
  • Kitty and the Tiger Treasure
  • Ghoulia (Mortina, #1)
  • Charlie Changes Into a Chicken
  • Tinsel (The Girls Who Invented Christmas)
  • Malamander (The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea, #1)
  • Mortina e l'odioso cugino
  • The Chocolate Factory Ghost
  • The House on Hoarder Hill
  • Anni kaverinkesyttäjä
  • Dodo
  • Gargantis (The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea, #2)
  • Zombiefeber
See top shelves…
Matt Haig was born in Sheffield, England in1975. He writes books for both adults and children, often blending the worlds of domestic reality and outright fantasy, with a quirky twist. His bestselling novels are translated into 28 languages. The Guardian has described his writing as 'delightfully weird' and the New York Times has called him 'a novelist of great talent' whose writing is 'funny, rive ...more

Christmas (4 books)
  • A Boy Called Christmas (Christmas, #1)
  • The Girl Who Saved Christmas (Christmas, #2)
  • Father Christmas and Me (Christmas, #3)