Start by marking “Smashed: Junji Ito Story Collection” as Want to Read:
Smashed: Junji Ito Story Collection

Smashed: Junji Ito Story Collection

(Junji Ito Masterpiece Collection #11)

"Junji Ito Story Collection comes together spring 2019. Experience thirteen chilling nightmares, presented by the master of horror."

The book that this release is based on is the 11th volume of the Junji Ito Masterpiece Collection. The original Japanese version has the following stories:

01 Blood Slurping Darkness
02 The Ghost of Golden Time
03 Roar of Ages
04 Glyceride
05 The E
Published April 16th 2019 by VIZ Media LLC

To ask other readers questions about Smashed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smashed

Sam Quixote
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Smashed is the latest collection of short horror mangas by acclaimed (though I don’t know why!) creator Junji Ito, none of which were especially good! I won’t go through each and every one in this bumper book but no single story stood out over the others - they were all pretty dumb!

And that’s the thing with Ito: he’s has no concept of subtlety - which I’m sure is what appeals to some of his readers - but the horror is so over-the-top that it undermines any potential scares and makes it hard to
Devann
I received an ARC copy of this book from Edelweiss

actual rating: 3.5

This is the second Junji Ito story collection that I have read. The first was Shiver and I definitely thought that one was a bit better, but this was still definitely a very good read. I was once again pleasantly surprised by all the interesting and unique plot lines in the stories. Most horror stories these days seem to just draw from the same 10 cliches that we've all seen a million times, but the majority of these are very di
Orrin Grey
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, manga
Like previous Viz hardcover short story sets, this was a mix of new-to-me and "classic" Junji Ito stories, including "Bloodsucking Darkness," a favorite of mine. That said, this isn't necessarily the place to dig in if you're not already a fan. There are plenty of solid stories here, including many that are very Junji Ito for (more often) good and (more seldom) ill.

I'm personally not a fan of the Soichi stories, though they contain some indelibly Ito-ish images, but there are plenty of ideas con
Emm - Stories for Ghouls
An unabashed Itoholic, I'd already read most of these shorts years ago. To see them together in such a physically, artistically beautiful collection however, is much appreciated. Smashed is a peculiar mash-up of two or three previous books by Ito that never made it into English translation during their run, one being the infamous and beloved Yami no Koe, or Voices in the Dark. I noticed them blending books with their reprint of Ito's Frankenstein last year. It is needlessly confusing, but hey, h ...more
Olivia Elizabeth
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 I won't lie, I found this collection pretty disappointing. Ito is one of my all time favorites but sometimes his stories just miss the mark for me and I didn't love any of the stories in Smashed. There were some decent ones, but nothing to write home about. Maybe next time we'll click. *Shrugs*
Lucas Chance
Classic Ito

Ito’s best work comes out in his short stories and these classics really shine. “Smashed” was one of the first works of his that I read long before it was collected in this nice volume. Also collected here are three Souichi stories, a macabre tale of an obsessive librarian, a valley tied together with evil intent and mirrors, plus some others that do not instantly stand out as much.

Like always, the art stands out and the absolutely dreamlike story structure that makes Ito’s worlds so
James
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not quite as strong a collection as SHIVER but still has some decent moments... the last story (which is also the title story) is by far the best of the bunch.

Scariest thing about the book to me? That Ito's protagonists all use the same kind of antiquated flip phone that I still use as well, which makes me wonder how old some of these stories are...
Alexandria
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not my favorite of Ito’s works but it’s still vividly frightening and strikingly innovative as all of his manga are.
Kelsey
Always reliable for a good spook or - at the very least - a unique and weird idea that makes you wonder just where on earth he gets them from.
Bonnie Evie Gifford
Huge thanks to Edelweiss for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

I'm going to be honest: Junji Ito is one of my all-time favourite authors, so I may be a little biased. When I saw he had another collection of past short stories coming out as an official translation, I was pretty excited. Museum Of Terror and the whole Tomie series are two of my all-time favourite short story collections, so my expectations were pretty high for Smashed.

A collection of some of Junji Ito’s many horr
Nicholas Driscoll
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Probably closer to a 3 and a half star review. I have been slurping up Junji Ito's horror collections whenever they come out since last year, even though I often find the actual stories pretty lacking. I always feel compelled to read them anyway. And I have to say... this is another book in the series with many of the same qualities Ito fans have come to expect, both from a positive and a negative perspective.

One of the aspects of Ito's work that I appreciate the most is his artwork, which tends
Sab Cornelius
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I both received my pre-order yesterday and finished it yesterday, lol.

As with the other Junji Ito collections, this collection is a random assortment of his short stories/illustrations. There are two connected to each other, and the rest are otherwise unconnected.

This is definitely not my favorite collection of stories that have come out so far [none of them struck me as particularly stand-out compared to some of his other stories, but that doesn't mean it's bad in any way], but I can't resist
Ashe
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Junji Ito is one of the few mangaka that I will always purchase every release I can. His art is gorgeous and unnerving and the stories are unique. Although, this time around the stories were not my favorite and the stories that really stood out were the ones that could have a trigger warning if you are sensitive to certain subjects, and the couple of stories with Souichi were a pleasant and interesting surprise.
I would recommend especially if you are fan of Junji Ito's works.
Adam
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not Ito's best, but he's so consistently imaginative and disturbing that this is still pretty riveting. The standouts for me were Earthbound (the one true masterpiece of this set), In Mirror Valley (what a concept... and that ending!), and the titular story (again, a wild premise and a pretty terrifying idea at its core). I also enjoyed seeing the return of the Fashion Model character in the triptych of haunted house stories collected here.
Helen
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
The master does it again. I felt that this was better paced than Shiver and I loved some of the callbacks to Ito's other stories.

On a side note, if you receive this as an ARC from Edelweiss+ like me, the quality is awful and is even missing some content. Beware!
Anul Sinha
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Definitely one of the weaker works of Junji Ito. Most of the stories felt like they are missing one more Act. Of all the stories I found the "I don't want to be a ghost" the best. That doesn't mean the other stories are bad but more on the side of leaving something more to be desired.
Dylan
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Really disappointing. By far the weakest of Ito's collections. Relies too heavily on humor, which has never been his strong suit. Comparable to the disappointing, disjointed mess of Dissolving Classroom, but even less focused.
Jess
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed all of these short stories. Junji Ito is always a weird and fun read.
Cinnamon
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
สรุปวาดีทังชุด (11 เลมจบ) ชอบมาก ...more
Blair
I've read most of this, but am not rating it for two reasons, both relating to the PDF review copy from Edelweiss rather than the book itself: 1) the illustrations are low-res and sometimes hard to make out, completely lacking the beauty and horror of Junji Ito's originals; and 2) it ends on page 378, cutting off a couple of pages from 'Splendid Shadow Song' and completely omitting 'Smashed'. Hopefully, when the book is published I'll be able to borrow it from the library and finish reading it p ...more
Amon
Madeline Friedman
Mar 31, 2018
Albert
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Junji Itō (伊藤潤二) Born in Gifu Prefecture in 1963, he was inspired from a young age by his older sister's drawing and Kazuo Umezu's comics and thus took an interest in drawing horror comics himself. Nevertheless, upon graduation he trained as a dental technician, and until the early 1990s he juggled his dental career with his increasingly successful hobby — even after being selected as the winner o ...more

Junji Ito Masterpiece Collection (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Tomie Vol. 1