Start by marking “The Hidden Power of F*cking Up” as Want to Read:

The Hidden Power of F*cking Up

The Try Guys deliver their first book—an inspirational self-improvement guide that teaches you that the path to success is littered with humiliating detours, embarrassing mistakes, and unexpected failures.

To be our best selves, we must become secure in our insecurities. In The Hidden Power of F*cking Up, The Try Guys - Keith, Ned, Zach, and Eugene - reveal their philosophy
Published June 18th 2019 by Dey Street Books

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden Power of F*cking Up, please sign up.
nadine this might be my favorite book in the world and i didn't even read it yet.…morethis might be my favorite book in the world and i didn't even read it yet.(less)

Start your review of The Hidden Power of F*cking Up
Miranda Reads
The Try Guys try writing a book?

... you have my attention!
cait
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-reads
2.5/5 stars

Alright, I think I'm awake enough to explain the rating now. Odd that I've never really felt the need to explain myself before, but for this book, I am? Nothing makes sense.

I want to preface this by saying I am a long-time 'Try Guys' fan. I found them in 2014 and loved their videos so much that I would bring my laptop over to a friends house and put the videos on casually in hopes that they would find them funny. I would rewatch my favorites multiple times, to the point where my boyfr
Isabelle | Nine Tale Vixen
alternative title: The Try Guys Try Writing A Book, With Their Trademark Humor and Vulnerability (And It Is Awesome)

Basically this is exactly what you probably expect from a book written by these four: honest, self-deprecating, with the banter that characterizes their on-screen dynamic. There are heartwarming and hilarious anecdotes (and photos!) from different stages of their lives, and it's so inspiring to see them take on the lifestyle challenges/changes that scare them.
Rachel Aranda

I really enjoyed the audiobook. There were Ned and Ariel moments and all The Try Guys talked throughout the sections in the book instead of one just talking though a section by themselves, which I was a bit nervous would happen since the chapters are a bit on the long side. If there was one way that I would suggest how a person could best enjoy this book it would be to get a copy of the book at your local library or bookstore since there are pictures included while listening to the audi
Katie
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book/audiobook is fantastic. These guys bring so much humor and heart. At the start, I thought each guy was going to tackle a section but rather each took lead on a try with the other guys sharing wisdom and experience related to the topic. Overall I highly recommend for any one who has ever watched a Try Guys video, from casual viewers to triceratops!
Beth
Jul 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
I love the Try Guys, but this book didn’t need to exist.

I know the goal is to try something new and I am 100% into that ideal, but just because you can doesn’t always mean you should.

There are so many typos in this book I lost count, but that is on the editor.
Brianna
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-books
The Hidden Power of F*cking Up

As someone who’s been a fan of the Try Guys for years, I feel conflicted in terms of how I feel about this book, mostly because it… felt like it didn’t need to be a book? I will say that I didn’t have the most enjoyable reading experience, but I there are two factors that may have attributed to that:
I decided to try (pun not intended) a new format of reading. I read this book via audiobook and kept my hard copy nearby so I could see the pictures/visuals. I’d never r
Savanna
Jul 29, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF at 51%.
Nope. Nope. First, a significant portion of the book so far has been the exact same as some recent videos. EXACTLY. Second, I kept really struggling with the casual mentions of how the guys were able to or motivated to do a thing because of the support and emotional labor of their spouses (and/or female friends or gay men). The way it's presented in the book just made me really feel the gender inequity of our society. For example, the health and style chapters essentially break down
Jackie
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
I feel like a load of garbage giving this a low rating, but alas, I must be true to myself and acknowledge that I did not enjoy this. The Try Guys are one of my favorite mainstream YouTubers. I have watched them for years and their comedic timing and originality in their videos is phenomenal. However... this book was rough. I purchased the audiobook, and I believe this was my biggest mistake. It "read" exactly like an extended version of their Podcast. I could not tell if this book was supposed ...more
mary
Jan 30, 2019 added it
Can’t wait to read this! I’m so happy that the guys are writing an honest book on growth and journey. As I do from their videos, I’m sure I’ll learn a lot that I can apply to myself. So excited!
Erin
Jul 11, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of the Try Guys, so it pains me to say that I really did not enjoy this book. The main problem I had with it was it being labeled an "inspirational self-improvement guide" when it felt more like a memoir told in the form of many tiny vignettes under the guise of teaching you how to better your life. I learned nothing new from this book as I have already heard the phrase "the greatest failure is the failure to try." ...more
Nix Buttons
The guys changed a lot over the years and I think we can gain from their experiences - their numerous trys, their personal life and their working life. I am looking forward to reading this ♥
Samantha
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Firstly, I love the Try Guys and I’ve been watching their videos on YouTube since they started the quartet on Buzzfeed. I’m so proud of them and their accomplishments.

I like that it’s a self-help book by learning through their mistakes. A very humbling experience and almost humanizing the people I’ve grown to love watching on my screen. A true rendition of facing their fears and learning from their failures, something we should all consider doing at some point in our lives. I laughed throughout
Annelisa Burns
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in 24 hours. It was absolutely perfect. If you’re a Try Guys fan, you’ve got to read it. I’m so proud of our boys. It’s completely in character and you can hear each of their voices so completely. My favorite book of the summer (maybe even the year?) so far. Unlike most books written by youtubers, this was actually has substance. It’s good when compared to other books, not just YouTube books.

Some highlights:

-reading Ned’s parts always made me emotional, especially the parts abo
Annika
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the audio book version, it felt sort of like hanging out with the Try Guys and having them tell me stories of different challenges they put themselves through. This is also why I definitely wouldn't classify The Hidden Power of F*cking Up as a self help book.

That being said, I don't know how many stars I would've given the "actual" book, given that it has no narration by the Try Guys and even Ariel! (And that my favourite part is still Keith describing his awesome before and af
Johanna Hammarström
I listened to this as an audiobook so it feels more like a long pod than a book to me, but that was a good thing about it (I can usually only listen to biographies).
So about the book, I recently got in to the Try guys and wanted to know more about where they came from before Youtube
and this book did a good job at that.
It also have some fun extra background to a lot of their videos.
The book was a fun and easy read (listen) and I enjoyed listening to it.
They read it all together which enhances the
Annie
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
------GENERAL------

Let me be clear: I’m mostly here for Eugene in all his unapologetically gay-as-hell, stereotype-defying, flamboyant and also incredibly masculine, glory. And okay, the rest of the guys are cool too.

It’s hilarious and apropos that the reviews they included on the back cover are less than flattering: “The Try Guys say that failing is more important than succeeding. And this book is a perfect example.”

This would make a great graduation gift for young adults. Despite the fact tha
CC the Great is Not Okay
TOTAL READING TIME: 4 hours, 0 minutes.

4.5 stars rounded up to 5.

My 5-star rating for this book is mostly due to my bias towards the Try Guys--second only to the Fab Five from Netflix's Queer Eye, they are my favorite celebrities. I started watching their videos around late August/early September 2017, and I've been hooked ever since. I only regret not getting to watch their videos earlier and being there from the beginning, as I've only discovered them when I was getting into BuzzFeed Unsolved.
Kap
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
The Try Guys do a good job of transferring their YouTube personas into book format. The overall message is simple and true to their brand. I enjoyed the numerous pictures and drawings, and the mixture of writing formats - from the more traditional narrative formats to the quirky back-and-forth dialogues. The Hidden Power of F*cking Up is a quick, easy read. It even manages to be a little inspiring too. When I reached the end, I even contemplated trying something new.

I think, at a basic level, th
Zach
Jun 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that doesn't really need to exist. It's a book that someone said "you should write a book" but then when you actually start writing you realise there's not much to be gained from it.
Still sort of useful though. I mean there's life lessons from looking at the lives of others, I guess. The same as listening to a friend tell their life story. It's nice to have it so concise.

The best part of this is listening to the audiobook. The voices of the Try Guys are so recognisabl
Helen Hnin
They did it. They wrote a book. And of course, they also took their book cover picture in their underwear. What was I even expecting?

I'll admit I was a little bit skeptical because I don't trust in somebody's writing skills. (Read: Keith Habersberger who hates reading books.) And also because they're juggling with too many things at a time that I was scared they could pull it off but only in a mediocre way.

Alas, that wasn't the case. Eugene's writing has this kind of raw energy while being flowe
TRex_TeaTime
... I kind of don't know what to say? I love the try guys, which is why I thought this would be an enjoyable listen.

I still love them but unfortunately, I found that I was always distracted, I didn't get the point of an anecdote, or I just plain didn't care. That sounds bad but there often wasn't any coherent point that came across, and the writing was choppy. They often talked over the top of each and yelled. A lot.

Fans of their videos will also probably not get anything new from this book, es
Hilary Jane
Aug 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Downloaded this as an audio book cause I really enjoy their videos. After listening to about 5 minutes, I returned it. It was so poorly done. Keith’s sound effects were over the top and unnecessary. The timbre of Ned’s voice was sharp and nasally. Eugene sounded bored af. Zach had the best voice but it’s not saying much. How did this audio book end up as the final product??
Alex Schwartz
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fun, quick read and great for fans of the Try Guys. The book is designed to essentially be part self-help book, part memoir, and part print version of the Try Guys video content. For those unfamiliar, the Try Guys are four...guys...who create videos in which they "try" various things. They're a lot of fun, often hilarious, and surprisingly emotional at times. In this book, they tackle four different topics in which they "try" to improve their lives in - fashion, fitness, love, and fam ...more
Audrey
3.5
The Try Guys can always make me smile and when I saw their book was available on audio I figured I should check it out. It was pretty much exactly what I expected. Although I would recommend listening to the audio alongside the physical book (there are some pictures I missed out on), listening to the guys read their own stories definitely added a lot to the experience. There were also additional jokes and insight through their commentary that wouldn't have been gleaned through just reading.
Sunny
Nov 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've been following these guys for years, however not from the beginning. Thus I've learned a lot ablut them and seen them change. This book really shows how they have changed, which I liked.

My favorite parts were about their relationships: partners/SO, family, food, mental health... After this book they've talked more about each of these in videos/podcasts, so it's interesting to see them open up about their 'worst sides' (really just the things they are the most insecure or ashamed about).

How
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well they certainly tried with this book... and they succeeded!

I absolutely loved each person's emotional journey, especially reading on their reflections after important events in their life. It truly felt as though they were each telling you their own personal story and they really did wear their hearts on their sleeve.

I only wish I could have read more!
Theresa
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this! I don't have a whole lot to add to the reviews on here- if you watch their videos, you pretty much know what kind of narrative to expect- however, I really took something from the overall message of celebrating and accepting your failures as an indication of progress. I need to spend more time learning from my failures instead of getting hung up on them. ...more
Rachel
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book and getting a tiny look behind the scenes of the Try Guys.

I enjoyed Eugene's chapter about his family the most and I honestly could read a whole book about them even though they would probably hate that :D

• A casa das sete mulheres
  • Rhett & Link's Book of Mythicality: A Field Guide to Curiosity, Creativity, and Tomfoolery
  • Over the Top: A Raw Journey to Self-Love
  • Naturally Tan
  • Queer Eye: Love Yourself. Love Your Life.
  • You Do You: Proud to Be Fabulous
  • Rivers of London Volume 6: Water Weed
  • Stars in His Eyes
  • Suspicious Minds (Stranger Things #1)
  • From the Ground Up: A Journey to Reimagine the Promise of America
  • Ali Wong: Baby Cobra
  • Karamo: My Story of Embracing Purpose, Healing, and Hope
  • Looking Back
  • A Beautifully Foolish Endeavor (The Carls, #2)
  • Trixie and Katya's Guide to Modern Womanhood
  • Stay Sexy & Don’t Get Murdered: The Definitive How-To Guide
  • Happy Right Now
Keith Habersberger, along with Ned Fulmer, Zach Kornfeld, and Eugene Lee Yang, make up The Try Guys, an Internet comedy series. The four write, direct, produce, and shoot each of their episodes. Their viral videos have garnered over 1 billion views across social media platforms.