Start by marking “Cold Copper Tears (Garrett P.I., #3)” as Want to Read:
Cold Copper Tears (Garrett P.I., #3)

Cold Copper Tears

(Garrett Files #3)

Slaying beauty

She was tall, blonde, and offering Garrett a fee that was irresistible to take a case that seemed open and shut. But in a town of elves and humans, thugs and swindlers—a place where magic and religion could prove an all-too-potent mix—Garrett had learned to take a long, hard look before nodding yes.

And when, soon after this damsel in distress had departed, th
Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Published October 4th 1988 by New American Library (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Cold Copper Tears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Copper Tears

Start your review of Cold Copper Tears (Garrett P.I., #3)
Stephen
Aug 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
4.0 stars. If Philip Marlowe drank too much Four Roses Whiskey one night and stumbled into a dark, gritty version of Tolkien's Middle Earth, you might have something similar to the setting of The Garrett Files series. This third installment continues the tradition of fun, fast and smart reads that are highly enjoyable. I really like this series and recommend it.
Bookwraiths
May 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths Reviews

This is the third novel in Glen Cook’s Garrett P.I. series, where our hero doesn’t have to go looking for trouble for it to find him. While this wasn’t the best of the series, Cold Cooper Tears was still a solid novel with enough humor, surprises, and interesting plot lines to keep you turning the pages.

Basically, this story begins when our favorite fantasy P.I. Garrett gets approached by a beautiful damsel in distress named Jill Craight. (Garrett gettin
Stephen Robert Collins
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This 2nd read read it in 1989 & 2010 but After reading horror needed a good laugh.
The dead man he's not a man but A Loghyr he weighs only 36stone is about four hundred years old stinks bad, has mice eating him and he does lot of sleeping but When He is awake he helps PI Garret in TunFaire Garret is a Sam Spade & Philip Marlow hard boiled beer drinking ginger haired bastard working with dwarfs,elves and lot of evil fairys out to kill him all time .Rodger Rabbit style on bloody Acid.
In walks Lau
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Mar 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Garrett P.I continues to hold my interest with this third installment. Good transfer of the noir style to the fantasy world of Tun-Faire with its cosmopolite mix of races, religions and political factions. The plot is ambiguous and the solution comes more from perseverence than from genial insights a la Sherlock Holmes. Colourful characters range from blonde bombshell to spooky paid killers, crime overlords and corrupt priests. Some of Garret's friends from the previous adventures provide conitn ...more
Kevin
Jan 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mystery
Bogart and Bacall, Garrett, Jill and Maya this is a cross between the Big Sleep and Nero Wolfe with the fat man Wolfe replaced by the Dead Man, Fritz by Dean. And while it's all been done before it's never been done this way in the town of TunFaire with dark elves street assassins, trolls, dwarfs, and gods.

Recommended to anyone who looking for a hard boiled mystery in a very different setting.

edit** 7/11/17 reread, just as good as I remembered, after recently reading Black Company, I wanted to s
Brandt
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
"I'm Garrett - low thirties, six feet two, two hundred pounds, ginger hair, ex-marine, all-around fun guy. For a price I'll find things or get the boogeys off your back. I'm no genious. I get the job done by being too stubborn to quit. My favorite sport is female and my favorite food is beer."

Garrett for the win !
Michael Hall
Aug 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another entertaining Garret Files book, this one centered around a mysterious doomsday cult. Once again Garret is "hooked" by a beautiful and mysterious woman which leads him down a winding path of danger, death, and excitement with the usual cynical wit and drinking along the way. One trend that I'm noticing in these books is that the author tends to hide the critical from the reader which makes it less of a mystery and more of a wait and see what happens adventure. I've also noticed that Garre ...more
HBalikov
Jan 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Among my favorite things - mysteries, film noir, and fantasy fiction (from J.R.R. Tolkien, to Lev Grossman and beyond). Glen Cook has done a great job of packaging them together with a sense of humor in Garrett (his P.I.) that sometimes seems like Parker’s Spenser and other times seems like Keillor’s Guy Noir (but for those who know, he is Archie to his own Nero). I found 4 star copper, and lack any regrets that it isn’t gold. Don’t look for anything but a moment’s entertainment.

Here is a sample
Felicity
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm going to let this review serve for all the Glen Cooks I have read in the past week plus the ones that I'm planning to read in the near future. It's a simple review and this is it: moving Archie Goodwin* to a fantasy city as well imagined - and not dissimilar to - Ankh-Morpork or Sanctuary from the old Thieve's World books was a stroke of total and complete genius. Finally I have figured out why people rave about Glen Cook. I'm eating these books up. So is my dog, which means that I read Pett ...more
Steve
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
With this third Garrett book, the author has hit his stride. This is a fun blend of mystery, fantasy, and supernatural. Recommended.
Aine
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Miles better than the other two, but no less sexist. I won't be continuing the series but at least this one had a rather epic and horrifying monster battle that made up for a lot of convoluted boring womanizing nonsense. The best part of this series is the dead guy...seriously.
Zheena
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Zheena by: Pye Josephus Joestar
Shelves: owned, 2019
Cold Copper Tears is the third book in the Garrett P.I series and I feel as if they are only getting better. You get a little bit more background on Garrett and some of the other characters. As well as more world building and a bit of the religious structure. Again we have a few re-occurring characters such as Morley & Saucerhead as well as a few new characters introduced for this story.
I swear Garrett has his guardian angel working full time for this current adventure, with more tricks up his s
Jordan
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
The best Garrett, P.I. book yet. Garrett's central case this time around was about the theft of some religious relics, and while complicated and full of feints and dead ends for the reader, it was infinitely less frustratingly dense than the previous book's case--in other words, you could actually guess 'who has done it' if you followed closely enough.

The action in the book was also confined to the streets of Garrett's home city which is new for the series and a welcome change, though some very
Bogdan Capitanoiu
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
it feelt so easy to come back to Glen's 'Noir' (fantastic!=disc)world.
It's welcoming,as you always get the same perfectly executed, witty, similar but with a moving twist, introduction of characters and places....
We got to love it..the gods are made of dreams, the law is made of mist....all commonly expected realities in some other/most worlds, are here irrelevant, and not really necessary.

is it a detective story? yes
,but it's a ride with friends(real character, with their own moody personalitie
Richard
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Once again I jumped into the world of Garret P.I. with both feet and again was rewarded with a very well written novel about a norm P.I. set in a fantasy world with a series of interesting and complex allies. The story this time revolves around a mix-up between a religious cult, Garret and a mix of underworld organisations, and Garret is Hired to find out about the cult, track down a woman who may have the information to solve everyone's problems, and avoid getting dead at the same time. As usua ...more
Mary
May 10, 2011 rated it liked it
This series is not for everybody. There is a bittersweet undertone that makes them worth reading - and re-reading - but you have to have a certain amount of... life experience, I guess, to really get it.

The cynical take on war, immigration, and the economics thereof could have been written yesterday. Yet, the series began in 1987.

Very prescient, but then Glen Cook has an almost depressingly accurate understanding of human nature.

Also, although the dead Loghyr is supposed to be the center of the
Darrell
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Continue to enjoy this series. In this story Garrett is faced with a complex plot that has a mysterious cult, a person from his childhood and several new characters. As the story moves, and the bodies add up Garrett is forced to do some questionable things like breaking and entering and turning Morley lose. In the end, Garrett finds a way to solve the mystery with help from his friends and the cities linchpin. As the story wraps up, winter is setting in.

Recommend this series to anyone that is in
Jane Mercer
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books
Detective Noir meets Gary Gygax's Gord, set in a world of mixed races human and other with all the problems that entails a sexy girl walks into the detectives office and needs his help. Sound familiar? With wry humour Glen Cook takes us through Garrett's world and into stranger stuff still. The dead Loghyr who's spirit hasn't given up on his flesh yet, the street girl who's got Garrett in her sights and the half elf who helps him through motives of his own, all combine together to a fascinating ...more
Psychophant
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
The third book in Garrett PI series, I liked this one better than the previous one. Cook tackles religion in this one, as well as some other difficult questions, helped a bit by making it a fantasy tale.

Garrett seems a bit less two dimensional in this novel, and although most other are archetypes, as expected in the genre, they work quite well. The mystery in this case is mostly absent, but I feel it works better by walking away from some of the conventions of the noir novel. It is still a quick
***Dave Hill
Dec 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: text
More fantasy detective noir fun, though not quite as much of a romp as the previous volume. The addition of TunFaire church politics, and some dire supernatural threats, made the fantasy epic side of the book overwhelm the detective mystery side. Still good stuff, still worth reading ... but I'm taking a break before moving on to the next installment.
Aaron Meyer
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Lots of action going on in this story. You have Gods, and crazed followers, priests and underworld hooligans galore. The ending is interesting. Definitely quite the religious commentary going on here from Mr. Cook. Might not agree with his ideas but it does make for interesting reading nonetheless.
Charles
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, kindle
Another entertaining Garrett, P.I., story full of twists and turns and noir detective tropes, with perhaps a tad more social commentary sneaked in here and there than in the previous two books in the series.
Kenneth Flusche
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Written in the style of a 1950's detective story but set in a fantisy land of elves, aliens, and sorcerers with a put down of orginized relegion but still always asking the question what nexed. a good read
Janna
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Best writing in the series yet. I'm not a huge fan of religious conspiracies as plots, but this was a fun and exciting read. I'm really excited to read the next one, which I can almost never say about an extended serial. I typically am satisfied after I read the first three.
Wm
Jacob convinced me to give the third book in the series a shot, and I'm glad that I did because it is better than the first two and gives Garrett some character growth.
Diana K Rice
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing cast of characters

The tale of Garrett and his team of experts are fully capable of taking you on a journey through hell. Oh what a ride!
Ian
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy these. Fantasy noir, with a proper PI in a near as dammit high fantasy setting. Enjoyable, interesting characters and believable (within the genre) plot.
Give them a go.
Karen Cowgill
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!! Glen Cook sure can write. If you like murder mixed with fantasy and a touch of hilarity, his are the ones you should read.
Gilbert Stack
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Religion comes to TunFaire in this third volume of the Garrett P.I. series. Garrett is a hardboiled detective in a fantasy city. His dream in life is to have nothing to do but drink beer and maybe enjoy the attention of a beautiful woman. After his exploits in the previous novel he has plenty of money and really doesn’t need to do any work, so he’s quite surprised when a street gang tries to kill him and even more shocked to learn shortly thereafter that someone has put a substantial price on hi ...more
Ben Truong
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cold Copper Tears is the third book in the Garrett P.I. series written by Glen Cook and centered on the adventures of private investigator Garrett.

Once again, Garrett is approached by a beautiful young woman by the name of Jill Craight. She hires Garrett to help find out who has been breaking into her apartment and why. Immediately afterward, a Magister Peridont comes to Garrett to try to get him to investigate the disappearance of some religious relics, which he respectfully declines.

After gett
« previous 1 3 next »

• Bright Steel (Masters & Mages, #3)
  • Crownbreaker (Spellslinger, #6)
  • Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2)
  • Queenslayer (Spellslinger #5)
  • Swords Against Wizardry (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser #4)
  • Cold Iron (Masters & Mages, #1)
  • Venus in Copper (Marcus Didius Falco, #3)
  • The Death of the Necromancer (Ile-Rien, #2)
  • Myth Directions (Myth Adventures, #3)
  • The Vanishing Tower (The Elric Saga, #4)
  • Harpist in the Wind (Riddle-Master, #3)
  • The Silver Pigs (Marcus Didius Falco, #1)
  • Sauerkraut Station
  • The Thief Who Went To War (Amra Thetys, #5)
  • The Thief Who Wasn't There (Amra Thetys, #4)
  • Raphael (Damiano, #3)
  • The Second Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #2)
  • Soulbinder (Spellslinger, #4)
Glen Cook was born in New York City, lived in southern Indiana as a small child, then grew up in Northern California. After high school he served in the U.S. Navy and attended the University of Missouri. He worked for General Motors for 33 years, retiring some years ago. He started writing short stories in 7th grade, had several published in a high school literary magazine. He began writing with m ...more

Garrett Files (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Sweet Silver Blues (Garrett P.I., #1)
  • Bitter Gold Hearts (Garrett P.I., #2)
  • Old Tin Sorrows (Garrett Files, #4)
  • Dread Brass Shadows (Garrett Files, #5)
  • Red Iron Nights (Garrett Files, #6)
  • Deadly Quicksilver Lies (Garrett Files, #7)
  • Petty Pewter Gods (Garrett P.I., #8)
  • Faded Steel Heat (Garrett P.I., #9)
  • Angry Lead Skies (Garrett P.I., #10)
  • Whispering Nickel Idols (Garrett P.I., #11)