Start by marking “New Kid” as Want to Read:
New Kid

New Kid

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  12,973 ratings  ·  1,204 reviews
Perfect for fans of Raina Telgemeier and Gene Luen Yang, New Kid is a timely, honest graphic novel about starting over at a new school where diversity is low and the struggle to fit in is real, from award-winning author-illustrator Jerry Craft.

Seventh grader Jordan Banks loves nothing more than drawing cartoons about his life. But instead of sending him to the art school
Published February 5th 2019 by Quill Tree Books

To ask other readers questions about New Kid, please sign up.
Kate Yes, you can read this book.…moreYes, you can read this book. (less)
Sara Elazab GN320L is the Lexile level of the book New Kid by Jerry Craft.

·  12,973 ratings  ·  1,204 reviews

Start your review of New Kid
Betsy
Gaps. Sometimes they’re all that I can see.

Imagine you have a brain that allows you to retain information in compartmentalized slots. You have chosen the field of “librarian” so this trait is useful in your day-to-day work. As you read children’s books over the course of a year, you categorize each one. You note similarities, differences, and books that don’t strike you as like anything else out there. And you continue to keep track year after year, building up your knowledge, tracking what you’
Scott
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
"I wish I was Batman. Not just for the cool reasons. I could fit in anywhere! One minute he's at a board meeting [as Bruce Wayne]. And the next, he's in the most dangerous part of town. Completely fearless! Unlike me, Batman is always in control of EVERYTHING!" -- Jordan Banks, on page 166

Witty and plausible graphic novel starring protagonist Jordan Banks, a thirteen year-old who is just starting 7th grade as a transfer student (hence the title) at a private school nicknamed 'RADS' in New York
Amber K.
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a must have in all upper elementary and above classrooms. This book is packed with bias and micro aggressions that are important for kids to read and understand -especially kids that live in areas with little to no racial diversity. I cannot wait to hand this off to my students and see what they think.
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
Jordan is the new kid in seventh grade. And he's not going to art school like he wanted—he's going to a fancy new private school where he's one of a handful of students of color. He's not sure if he's going to fit in...but he's going to try.

This was such fun to read. Jordan's world-view and how he frames things are hilarious and introspective, and his drawings are just the cutest things on the planet. I loved that he was able to expand his mind, and even though he still wanted to go to art
Cassie Thomas
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is going to be THE most talked about graphic novel in the new year. This is a story that needs to be read and then talked about. Every single chapter had me shaking my head yes. Swipe right to see just two pages of serious truth that readers and teachers alike need to be reading. Out February 2019
Jillian Heise
A FANTASTIC middle grade graphic novel. A necessary addition for any school/classroom library. Approaches subtle & overt racism in an accessible & understandable way for the audience, while not holding back, through the lens of the new kid at school.
Kelly
An outstanding middle grade graphic novel about not only being the new kid in a new school, but about the ways privilege, bias, and racism -- both overt and subtle -- play out. Jordan attends a wealthy school on financial aid and is one of the few kids of color there; he experiences incredible micro and macro aggressions, and as a light skinned black boy, he sees racism play out in a variety of horrifying ways.

The art in this is fantastic, and Craft imbues so much pop culture in this book in
Danielle
I wasn't really planning on picking this up, but I found it as an ebook and graphic novels never take too long to read. I really liked that it tackled so many aspects of racism (especially getting into specifics given that the protagonist, Jordan, is light-skinned - you can tell Craft really knows how to write about race and convey more than the minimum), mostly for black communities but there were students from other backgrounds.

I wasn't a fan of the art - it really reminded me of 00s webcomics
Sam
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When you finish a book in one sitting, you know it's good.
Rod Brown
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it
This is definitely targeted at younger readers, but I still bet I learned more from this story of minority kids at a predominately white NYC private school about implicit bias, microaggressions, and racism than I will from the official training I have to take at my job next week. It's a bit slow as the story is paced to last the entire school year, and I'm not sure the chapter titles punning on movie titles really added much, but the scathing points hidden in the gentle humor make it all ...more
Lata
4.5 stars. I enjoyed this story of Jordan starting at a new school, where many of the kids come from affluent backgrounds. There are very few other brown kids, and Jordan eventually becomes good friends with a couple of the boys, including one from a very different background than his.
Jordan experiences racist and classist behaviour from some of his classmates, and from one of his teachers, who comes off as irritatingly thoughtless and racist, all the while blaming Jordan and his friend Drew for
Lynn Plourde
NEW KID is fun and funny at the same time it portrays serious "fitting in at school" issues. Mega kid-appeal!
Janssen
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I haven't read a graphic novel in ages but I LOVED this one. So endearing and smart.
Jordan Henrichs
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
There's a lot to like about NEW KID...

First off, there's more substance than your typical middle grade graphic novel. Reminds me of Victoria Jamieson's work. Jordan was a really strong character. He's thoughtful and creative and I appreciated how positive he remained despite questioning some of his feelings and friendships. And his questions felt so realistic. He was definitely a character that many kids will probably relate to.

I will say, this is an interesting take on race, in that often
Nilah
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There's so much like to like about NEW KID. The terrific art, supplemented by main character Jordan's own comic journal-style observations. The journey through navigating a new school, new friendships, and new conflicts. The theme of not judging a book by its cover woven throughout. And I found the perspective of a Black kid in an environment that's not used to Blackness, where teachers constantly confuse you with That Other Black Kid They Remember and push critically-acclaimed stories of Black ...more
DaNae
These kids! I love when I walk away from book and feel I know the people that have filled its pages - not because the author told me, but showed me. Craft is often subtle in his character building and this book is all the stronger for it. One of few books that showcases race and micro-aggressions without the heavy drumbeat of righteousness.
Donna Gephart
This book will mean the world to so many kids, who will see themselves on the page, who will feel less alone, who will feel validated. It's an honest look at what it feels like to be "other" in a space that is mostly white, mostly wealthy. It's got so much heart and moments of great humor. This one will be read and re-read and re-read again.
Anmiryam
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A pitch perfect look at a life as a minority kid straddling cultures -- his neighborhood, his family and his tony new school environment. I want to hand this out to every kid (and every parent) heading into middle school at the many independent schools in my community. Fun and moving.
Kelli Gleiner
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable graphic novel, full of smart humor and bite-sized, accessible social commentary for the middle-grade crowd.
Loved the comics within the comics.
Georgia
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was so good!
Ms. Yingling
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ARC provided by Young Adult Books Central

Jordan is not thrilled to be going to a private school several neighborhoods away from his home in Washington Heights, New York City, since it means leaving his best friend and having to deal with a whole new social class of peers. Also, if he has to go to a new school, he wishes it were an art school instead, since drawing comics is one of his favorite things to do. He is picked up the first day by his student guide, Liam, who is fairly uncommunicative,
Melanie Dulaney
“New Kid” was one of my Junior Library Guild selections for March and I decided to preview it before putting it out for my kids as a few of the JLG middle grades graphic novels have turned out to be a little too gritty for my ultra conservative community and my 4th and 5th graders. Happily, I predict that this one will stay checked out as soon as I get it processed and on the shelf! Jerry Craft’s main character, Jordan, is beginning 7th grade at a new school and finds himself one of only a few ...more
Nadine Keels
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jordan, a twelve-year-old artist, would love to go to art school, but instead his parents enroll him in a private school with top-notch academics. Jordan finds that he's one of only a few kids of color in the seventh grade at his new school in New Kid by author Jerry Craft.

Yes. I picked this graphic novel up because of the race/diversity issue it addresses. Yes, it resonated with me in a number of places on that score, such as in a section of Jordan's sketchbook labeled "Judging Kids by the
Thomas Bell
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an exceptionally good book. Dealt a lot with life in general for a kid. A lot of people are calling it a book about race, and it definitely dealt with that, but I think it is a lot more than that.

So Jordan got a scholarship to go to a fancy-pants private middle-school. He learns about life as a middle-schooler, and not only that but being the new kid as well. Many of the students already knew each other. And he deals with people not understanding him (and him not understanding them) for
Abby Johnson
This book had so many moments that tell it like it is. It's probably the best middle grade book at dealing with microaggressions that I've seen. It does not stray away from how uncomfortable it makes Jordan, even when his white classmates and teachers don't realize what they're doing.

This is a book that kids of color will identify with and that white kids need to read and talk about. And it's written in a fun way. Full-color panels illustrate Jordan's day to day life in school split up by black
Elizabeth A
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphix, 2019, kids-ya
This graphic novel is targeted for middle grade readers and explores so many important topics in a manner that is both on point and non preachy.

Jordan is starting 7th grade in a new school. He's one of the few kids of color in this better (read wealthier and white) school, and while his parents, especially his Mom is super excited, young Jordan has his doubts. The story explores micro and macro aggressions from multiple angles, and from various age groups. Jordan has to find his tribe at school,
Nadine
This book is so darn clever. A young person of colour has a scholarship for a fancy school and his day to day experiences with micro-aggressions are faithfully documented. It's smart and funny and totally hits the target. We need more books like this - like one for girls as well. I have just the incident for the girls one - a teacher in assembly last week saying "well done boys" to the robotics team - that included a girl.
Casey Jo
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG! So good!!! Funny as heck, without shying away from the awkwardness of being one of a few Black kids at a private academy. The friendships are heartwarming, and the privilege is acrid. And the artwork by the MC is delightful.

Note: This is a review of an Advance Reader Copy. The comment below references a fat joke that was taken out of the final version. Yay for thoughtful editing!!!
Destiny Henderson
Cute. A relatable story about how it feels to be the only black kid somewhere and the ounce of joy you get when you see someone else who looks like you and microaggressions.

Also, amen to the segment about how MG/YA books are marketed to black kids. You have got drugs, poverty, rap, and basketball for black books vs. lily-white adventurer books. Thank God, it's slowly changing.

Sam Bloom
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The MG graphic novel field is whiter than most kidlit formats, so this book is a HUGE deal. And there's really nothing better than a book with kid appeal through the roof that is also top-notch quality. Hooray for this book!!!
Mock Newbery 2020: April Read - New Kid 21 225 Jul 02, 2019 07:07PM

• Look Both Ways
  • Other Words for Home
  • Stargazing
  • All's Faire in Middle School
  • Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
  • White Bird
  • Click
  • Kid Gloves: Nine Months of Careful Chaos
  • Genesis Begins Again
  • The Line Tender
Jerry Craft has illustrated and/or written nearly three dozen children’s books, graphic novels and middle grade novels for publishers such as HarperCollins, Scholastic, Benchmark, Pearson and his own publishing company, Mama's Boyz, Inc. His middle grade graphic novel, New Kid, will be released by HarperCollins on February 5, 2019. Jerry has earned recognition from the Junior Library Guild, and ...more
“You don't have to like everyone, but you don't have to be a jerk about it, either.” 0 likes
“Never comfort someone with a lie.” 0 likes