Start by marking “Death Match” as Want to Read:
Death Match

Death Match

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  8,440 Ratings  ·  425 Reviews
When a perfect couple commits double suicide, alarms go off in the offices of the high-tech matchmaking company. Investigation into a second couple's double suicide reveals a stunning labyrinth of artificial intelligence, creative genius, and a melding of technology that does indeed deliver on the company's guarantee of a perfect, lifelong mate.
Published October 31st 2006 by Anchor Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Death Match, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Match

John G
Jan 19, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: mouth-breathers
I generally pass on novels with multiple authors. However, the Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child partnership is a mystery to me. Together, their trashy airport thrillers are actually not bad at all for the genre. Yet on their own, these guys deserve a special section in the Dan Brown wing of the Museum of God-Awful American Writing. I assumed after Douglas Preston's word-poop "The Codex" (listened to this driving up to Yosemite) that Lincoln Child was the decent author in the Preston/Child partnersh ...more
Elizabeth
I listened to the audio version of this. I thought it was pretty good for the genre. I had an inkling early on as to the nature of the killer, but a good number of red herrings made me doubt my conclusion for a while.

*** SPOILER****

My one big gripe with the plot was the fact that Dr. Lash ignored the disruptions and weird things going on with his accounts; that seemed like a pretty big clue. After one or two of these things happened, it seemed extremely suspicious and he kind of blew it off - e
Jaime
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, techno_thriller
This is going to be quick because I listened to this book a while ago and can’t remember a lot of the details! I do remember that I enjoyed it. I found the concept more interesting than I expected. Basically, couples who are deemed “perfect matches” by the high-tech matchmaking company, Eden, are committing mutual suicide at an alarming rate. Lash, a psychiatrist, is brought in to find out why people who have no known suicidal tendencies would do it. Eden is panicking, desperate to show that the ...more
Patrick Gibson
Dec 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
The last of Child’s solo efforts for me to read, "Death Match" is first-rate brain candy when it's compared to other plot driven thrillers that seem much more screenplay than novel - James Patterson's and Iris Johansen's recent factory driven voluminous output comes to mind. But by comparison to the rather high standards that have been self-imposed by his own previous work - the Pendergast canon in conjunction with his partner, Douglas Preston, and his first, “Utopia” - "Death Match" falls well ...more
Brian's Book Blog
Sep 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Honestly one of my favorite books! About a computerized dating system that matches you to the 99th percentile to your mate. Excellent book!
Mike
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
How do you make a uneventful novel even more boring? Find a monotone audiobook narrator . I'm convinced my GPS has more personality.

Couldn't finish
Karthik Parthasarathy
I have always been intrigued by the amount of data that the dating sites crunch and the algorithms behind these sites in coming up with a perfect match. When I read the blurb of this book and realized the theme of this book was based on a similar Concept, I had no hesitation in picking this book up.

Plot: Eden Inc is a company which is primed towards matching and making their customers happy. Those candidates who get through the initial screening at Eden, more often than not, find a match and on
Achira
Jun 24, 2015 rated it liked it
This is the first Lincoln Child book I picked up on mom's recommendation (Yeah, really). And I think I was enjoying it pretty much up until 80% when the big reveal happened and I had to somehow drag myself through the rest of the book, skipping words and lines, sometimes paragraphs, to get it over with soon.

Okay, so it starts with Dr. Christopher Lash, who's a forensic psychologist, being invited to Eden Incorporation to investigate the mysterious double suicide of a "Supercouple". The plot intr
Jaiman Fisher
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
*****Spoiler Alert*****

A book that started out well written and engaging but seriously unraveled at the end. I felt like the plot had been lifted from a mediocre 80s movie that was trying to be a cautionary tale about technology. Between "the computer did it" and the conflicted genius/maker who chooses to die with his creation rather than face the consequences, Death Match winds up being a bad cliche. Throw in the fact that the heroes can only be saved because a young woman of today, who unders
Chili_666
Oct 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
Well... read it the seccond time around - and still think it is an OK read. Not the best book out there, not the worst. It might even be a really decent book for a nice sunny, lazy day on the beach, if you are into that kind of fiction.

Granted, there is heaps of psychological mumbojumbo, one dimensional characters that react purely to their environs without any motivation/instincts for themselves and loads of weird computer-science-we-have-to-explain-something-or-make-an-escape-possible reality
Diana Barbosa
Dec 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leituras-de-2009
Para mim enquanto licenciada em Psicologia e interessada na vertente criminal/legal/forense ler um livro em que um ex-psicólogo forense é uma das personagens e tem de investigar caso de duplo suicídio de um casal aparentemente perfeito só podia despertar a minha atenção.

Gostei muito da história. Na minha opinião está bem escrita e com personagens bem desenvolvidas.

E tal como The Washington Post afirmou é "uma história hábil e sofisticada. Que também é um grito de alarme sobre os perigos da inte
Dan
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I liked this book very much; but Lincoln Child is one of my favorite authors. Anything written by Child I would like, even if he was to explain the science of tiddlywinks, I would still be interested.
OK, about this story I just read. "Death Match" is a good read, one that I could not put down. It was a book that talked to me, as if the story was written just for me to enjoy.
A brief synopsis of this book: Match-making is big business and Eden Inc. is a good example; for a sum of $25,000, you will
Chuck Noren
May 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Predictable. Agonizing slow plot. When done, I felt like I wasted my time. Unsatisfying. I figured out who did the murders very early in the book, way before learning the motive. This is a techno-thriller. The author uses 1980s computer technology, garbed in 1990s language, and it's clear he has read about some AI stuff, but has a shallow understanding of AI and neural networks. He throws the buzz words around in a semi reasonable fashion, but the gaps are humorous. Lots of standard techno adven ...more
Katie
Mar 04, 2009 rated it did not like it
I read this book solely because it was in my bookshelf. English language books find their way there, whether or not I choose them. This one was left behind by a visiting professor. The writing style was poor, the deep glimpse into Lashs past unconvincing, and the plot thin and predictable. I now feel like I need to read something literary just to redevelop the intellect lost in reading this book. ...more
Shannon
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A really great read. I liked it more than I thought I would. The pacing was just right and several times I thought I knew who the "bad guy" was, but then a new piece of evidence would come up and my opinion would go in a different direction. It really kept be guessing, though looking back I feel like I should have known sooner. I'm quite impressed with this book. Highly recommended.
itchy
Jan 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: soft
i was hoping for some action with edmund wyre, but i guess he did his bit

p98: "you didn't bring along any mechanical devices, did you?" mauchly asked. "voice recorder, pda, anything like that?"
Missus Mount
Took a while to get going with this and nearly put it down. I stuck with it but I've read better from this author.
Jennifer Boyce
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
This was a quick and enjoyable thriller. A standard Lincoln Child read.
Ângela Costa
"Até que a Morte não vos Separe" é um livro muito bom, gostei e recomendo. Porquê só 3*? Falta-lhe o "Factor surpresa", já são muitos anos a ver filmes!!! :)
Joyce
Jul 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Well written and very well plotted. The cast of characters was well rounded and the basic premise complex and well developed. It was not a quick read, but was worth the time put into reading it.
Ralph McEwen
Nov 13, 2009 rated it liked it
No real suprises. Glad this wasn't my first book by Linclon Child, because I would not have read much else by him and missed some of his wonderful work.
Beth
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Love this author!
William Crosby
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
High tech Artificial Intelligence being used for dating/matching. Because of double suicides linked to the dating service, a forensic psych is called in (who has his own psych problems) to determine why.

Shows the power and danger of total information awareness and manipulation of data (e.g. credit cards, identity info).

Discussion of AI and philosophical issues of consciousness and being self-aware. Can a computer be envious of humans?

Sometimes goes on and on with the tech stuff at the expense of
John
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it
A bit predictable as to the killer in this tale. Almost wish the story had been drawn out more and the killer would go to court, now that would have been interesting.
Still, liked the premise of the computer dating scene as a source for stalking and serial killing.
Managed to say a lot there without giving too much away.
The fun part of this story was the evolution of the main character, Dr Lash, and how he managed to reclaim his life. There were a lot of gaps in the story and overt technical infor
Miriam
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Child writes an intense mystery / thriller revolving around computerized match making and the deaths, double suicides, of some of the 'perfect' couples. Christopher Lash, psychologist and profiler, formerly with the FBI, is hired to find out why these couples committed joint suicide, or did they?

While I figured out who did it, and how the story would end, it's worth the time if you like thriller and want to delve into a book on a quiet day.
Bernadette Demone
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
A decent read with an interesting concept. You needed to take some leaps with the characters and I have to admit the computer workings weren't too interesting to me but the idea of a super computer responding in a logical manner to a perceived threat is intriguing. That the threat has sprung from trying to incorporate human emotions into the computer is a bit frightening. We don't always know how people will react and act to threats let alone computers.
Sue
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scary

So after this I am done with all the old Preston, Child, Preston/Child books! I can truly say that I have enjoyed each book for its differences! This one was crazy with its concept of the computer "love". I really enjoyed how the story unfolded.
Karen Hilyard
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: drama, thriller
These are two of my favorite writers and this book was a fast read that kept me interested from beginning to end.
Christine Fulton
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
awful to listen too. I will have to get the ebook and re-read this book. I love Lincoln Child and his books never let me down it was the narrator that made this book so hard to follow.
Therese Grabowski
May 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Too much computer AI for me. Finished the book but would not recommend.
  • Mount Dragon
Lincoln Child was born in Westport, Connecticut, which he still calls his hometown (despite the fact that he left the place before he reached his first birthday and now only goes back for weekends).

Lincoln seemed to have acquired an interest in writing as early as second grade, when he wrote a short story entitled Bumble the Elephant (now believed by scholars to be lost). Along with two dozen shor
More about Lincoln Child...