Start by marking “Sheets” as Want to Read:
Sheets

Sheets

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  4,576 ratings  ·  1,005 reviews
Marjorie Glatt feels like a ghost. A practical thirteen year old in charge of the family laundry business, her daily routine features unforgiving customers, unbearable P.E. classes, and the fastidious Mr. Saubertuck who is committed to destroying everything she’s worked for.

Wendell is a ghost. A boy who lost his life much too young, his daily routine features ineffective d
Published August 28th 2018 by Lion Forge, LLc, The

To ask other readers questions about Sheets, please sign up.
Dylan Goodreads does not host books to be read. Instead, this is a site where people are able to rate, review, and log books.

If you would like to read the…more

If you would like to read the book you can purchase it from a variety of book retailers or via online websites that facilitate the sale of books. Alternatively, you may be able to purchase an e-book edition.

You are not able to read this (or any) book on Goodreads itself.(less)

·  4,576 ratings  ·  1,005 reviews

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
It has been a long time since I've read a graphic novel where I left it FEELING something. Don't get me wrong, I love graphic novels and I think they're so fun, but few really have left an emotional impact on me. I'm leaving this one, feeling the mark of that impact. (or should I say "stain", since our main character works at a laundromat?) I loved this story to pieces. I'll admit that I felt emotionally drained by it, because our main character is dragged through life. From the loss of her moth ...more
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
Rating: 3.5 stars

In Sheets we follow Wendell, a ghost wearing a sheet, and Marjorie, a young girl running her family's laundromat. At first, we jump between their two stories but eventually, they weave together. This is such a sweet read, both heartbreaking and heartwarming. I absolutely love the colour palette - the illustrations are truly stunning!

I did find the pacing to be a little off. The start is slow, but I actually really liked this. I enjoyed getting to know Marjorie, and seeing how sh
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I loved this book soooo much! I added to my favorites! It just had a homey feel to it. I can't explain it! And the graphics are wonderful! And ghosts!! Grief, trying to find yourself, family. Just wonderful!

Mel 🖤🐺🐾
Nat
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, graphic-novels

Local Friendly Ghosts, Grief, and Solitude

Sheets 2-- bookspoils
Sheets  illustrates the determination of a young girl to fight, even when all parts of her world seem to be conspiring against her. It proves that second chances are possible whether life feels over or life is over. But above all, it is a story of the forgiveness and unlikely friendship that can only transpire inside a haunted laundromat.

This book is also quite a looker; I only wish that the storyline would've managed to stir me just as much as the ar
Julie
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic
Brenna Thummler illustrated the fabulous, wonderful, I can't-say-enough-good-things-about-it Anne of Green Gables a graphic novel, so when I saw she was flying solo on her own debut graphic novel, I didn't hesitate to pre-order a copy and pay the full price for it.

When it arrived, my 10-year-old (who is our resident artist), couldn't wait to get her hands on it, but I wasn't sure she was the target age, so I retreated to my room to read it.

I came out of the room, finished, with the book in my h
Carol
SOLD! The ghostly book cover....the inside front and back covers....the detailed soft colored illustrations....just wonderful!

The memories are bittersweet....the laundry never-ending....or is it!

Poor Marjorie....so much to do. Trying to survive middle school with no friends and run the family laundry with no help while dad mourns is such a heavy burden to bear; and that coupled with an evil minded villain and mischievous young ghost bring anguish to Marjorie's face in many of the meaningful il

[Shai] Bibliophage
The story of Marjorie Glatt and Wendell in this graphic novel is quite entertaining to read. While reading this, Wendell reminds me of the famous Casper not only because they are both young ghosts but also for their personality and the way they try to help as much as they can. However, I was torn on the rating between 4 and 5 stars; I am hoping that there would be a second volume because I like how there was a panel that shows that Marjorie and Wendell might have met already when he was still al ...more
Lola
I honestly don’t understand why this graphic novel has such low ratings on Goodreads. It’s not the best book I’ve ever read, but normally there’s something really wrong with a book to get so many one and two stars.

I don’t often question an average rating, because we’re all different and are entitled to our own opinions, but I’m just a little taken aback by the lack of love for this story, you see?

Especially since, personally, I thought it was adorable. I read this author’s previous work, Anne o
Calista
Such an interesting new kind of story. There aren't too many stories set in a Laundromat and it sets up the tone very well. Down trodden and an endless cycle. There is a creepy weird dude named Mr. Saubertuck who is trying to take advantage of the family who owns the Laundromat. He wants to build a spa and take over the building and have a yoga studio. He puts pressure on Marjorie, the lead teen of the piece. He wants them to work for him and live in the studio.

I've never seen an evil yoga prac
David Schaafsma
I read this because I was looking over the shoulder of someone else in this house reading it and recognized the drawing style and distinctive coloring of Brenna Thummler, whose illustration work I liked very much on her and Mariah Marsden's adaptation of Lucy Maud Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables. This is Thummler's solo effort, featuring Wendell the friendly ghost (cue Casper meme here) and other ghosts, all wearing sheets.

Marjorie Glatt's mother died; she's thirteen and now pretty much in ch
Hilary
This is an unusual idea for a story, a 13 yr old girl runs a laundrette, her mother has recently died and her father appears to be housebound by his depression. The other storyline involve the ghosts that inhabit the town where Marjory lives and how she comes into contact with one who helps her turn her life around. Full of interesting characters you might meet in everyday life, the mean girls, the kind teacher, the annoying younger brother, the unusual yoga teacher, and the characters you might ...more
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー

It's 1998 in Marjorie's world and the feels are no less in 2018.

"Mom opened glatt's Laundry when she was only nineteen. Bath then, it was "Dellaway Laundry", which is loads better. But then she met Dad and lost the ability to make rational decisions."...She died the past spring, and then Dad sort of did, too. He's still 100% opaque but slightly less visible."

This is the story of a girl, Marjorie. Not just any girl; a girl who feels out of place and invisible to the world. And she loves books and
Caroline
***NO SPOILERS***

A cute ghost and grieving girl meet in this unusual middle-grade graphic novel whose solemn tone and subject matter may be appreciated more by adults than by tweens. Sheets tells of Marjorie Glatt, a thirteen-year-old girl whose mother recently died. With a father so crippled by depression that he’s mostly confined to his bedroom, Marjorie must run the family’s laundromat, in addition to attending school and caring for her father and five-year-old brother.

The devastation and ho
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

*Disclaimer: A copy of Sheets by Brenna Thummler was provided to me by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion in any way.

Initial post reading thoughts:

Well, wasn't that adorable and heartbreaking and beautiful all at once.

What I Liked

The emotions. I could tell from the opening paragraph that this story was going to make me feel things. I knew it would be an emotional story and I definitely wasn’t wrong. It maybe wasn’t as hard hitting as
Montzalee Wittmann
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Sheets by Brenna Thummler is a book I requested from NetGalley and the review is voluntary.
I found the first part of the book a bit slow but it did pick up when there was more interaction with the ghost. I felt for the girl and the ghost but I wasn't too invested in them. I found the flirting scene near the end out of place. It was an okay read.
I really loved the art work! Very nice! Wonderful colors and could almost tell the story without words!
Sara
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
This didn't work for me as a YA graphic novel or a juvenile graphic novel.

Protagonist Marjorie Glatt (dear lord that name) is a middle schooler who's horrible father has left her as the sole person in charge of her beloved dead mother's laundromat. That's right, a child has been put in charge of running the family business because dad is too sad to come out of his room and take any responsibility at all for his children. She also has a very young brother who seems to be in kindergarten and is b
Schizanthus
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I was bowled over by Brenna Thummler’s illustrations in Anne of Green Gables: A Graphic Novel so when I heard she had written her own graphic novel I was all in. I simply adore Brenna’s ability to capture an image and present it in a way that I want her to draw the entire world for me. Seriously, I can’t get enough. Her use of colour is absolutely gorgeous and she’s able to evoke the emotion of a scene through colour as well as the images. I enjoy finding Easter eggs so I loved that Anne of G ...more
Cyndi
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An adorable book with lovely art and a sweet story. A little girl is trying to keep her family together after the loss of her mom with the help of a special ghost.
Chad
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2018
Almost 2 completely separate stories until halfway through the book. One, a very boring story about a middle school girl, Marj, who has lost her mother and has to run her family's laundry service in addition to school. The other. a much more compelling story of a recently deceased boy who hasn't made any friends in the ghost town he was sent to and comes back to the town he's from. Eventually these stories overlap when a person in town tries to sabotage the laundry business.

This is a really stra
Bruna Miranda
É tão bonitinhoooo! <3

**I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review. Thank you NetGalley and Diamond Book Distributors**

Sheets got my attention because of its cover, I'll admit. Inside, I found an adorable story about Marjorie, a girl who lost her mom recently and has to run the family's laundry business and take care of the house pretty much by herself. Also, we meet Wendell, who lives in the Land of Ghosts - the place where souls go after they die. He's in a support group for peopl
♛ Garima ♛
I loved this.

Following review is taken from here.

A really sweet, middle-grade story of a young girl, Marjorie, just trying to get over her mother's death and figure out her place in the world. But it also has ghosts.

The cool thing about these ghosts is that they wear sheets. You can't see them without the sheets and Marjorie just happens to run a laundromat.

The story is okay but graphics! Like you have never seen before. I like this style....
Liv (Stories For Coffee)
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 STARS

- The cutest little graphic novel that gives me major Steven Universe vibes with its color palette. The story is so adorable, as well.
Krista Regester
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
The art and colors in this book were some of the most amazing I've ever seen. Just beautiful~
❀
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
my rating: ✰✰✰

This was a sweet and cute story with innocent characters but still with heartbreaking points. It revolves around Marjorie, a girl who lost her mother and she takes care of the family business while she feel out of this world, and Wendell, a ghost who doesn't feel welcome in the Land of Ghosts so he escapes and how they meet and how they help each other to find their path.

Sadly, even though I liked it, I don't think this story is going to stick with me for a long time. I would reco
Danielle
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade-ya
This was wonderfully weird—I loved it.
Katiria
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites-books
*** I received this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review, thank you so much to Lion Forge publisher for giving me the opportunity to read and review Sheets! ***

First I would like to apologize that I am writing this review so late and not write it last year during the summertime, yea I am that late in the ball game my only excuse is my health problem got in the way so I couldn't write a lot of reviews last year because of my heal issue. So I am sincerely sorry to Lion Forge pub
Divine
I voluntarily read this ARC in exchange for an honest review. I have to admit that I only shelved this in my TBR because of that cute cover! And this turned out to be a real surprise for me.

Sheets is a story of a ghost wanting to fit in and a girl struggling to make ends meet for her family by solely running their laundry shop. For a graphic novel filled with cotton candy colors and soft touches, this sure has a lot of melancholic undertones. Pink and blue hues fill the frames but the story narr
Cassandra
So, let me start this by saying that I am a huge fan of graphic novels as a whole, but it's true gems like these that having me ranting and raving at my local comic book shop, asking everyone what they're reading and immediately adding it to my TBR.

I would like to say that I was swept up from the very first page, but that's not true. I was pulled in from the first time I seen the cover photo. Honestly, look at that sweet little sheet ghost stuck in the washing machine. I had high expectations g
Niki
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Actual rating: 3,5 stars!

Such a lovely, lovely story, with themes like grief, isolation, and hard work that seems to be for naught but isn't. While the story is mostly slice-of-life, the supernatural element gives it an extra bit of pizzazz, but also makes it more... childish, I think? It's probably the way that the Ghost World operates, which does feel like the way a child would imagine it as.

But still, the story was lovely, and the art that accompanied it was more than beautiful. Everything, f
Jane

Well now, this was a very nice find. I'm still trying to ease my way into the world of graphic novels, and Sheets did a wonderful job of sucking me in.

On the surface the plot is pretty straightforward: At just 13, Marjorie is forced to grow up in a hurry when tragedy hits her family. She juggles running the family laundry business with taking care of her younger brother and dealing with being a bit of an outcast at school. A mwah-ha-ha-type villainous bad guy is doing his best to put t
  • Mr. Wolf's Class (Mr. Wolf's Class, #1)
  • All Summer Long
  • Illegal
  • The Cardboard Kingdom
  • All's Faire in Middle School
  • Tiger vs. Nightmare
  • Where's Halmoni?
  • Anne of Green Gables: A Graphic Novel
  • Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Mighty Jack, #2)
  • Be Prepared
  • Soupy Leaves Home
  • La generazione
  • Sanity & Tallulah
  • The Unwanted: Stories of the Syrian Refugees
Brenna Thummler grew up in northwestern Pennsylvania, where she developed a great love for nature trails, peanut butter, and, above all, drawing. A graduate of Ringling College of Art and Design, she was named the Society of Illustrators Zankel Scholar during her junior year. Since graduation, she has done editorial and advertising work for such clients as the New York Times, the Washington Post, ...more
“patience is the thread of healing.” 1 likes