Jump to ratings and reviews

Sheets #1

Sheets

Marjorie Glatt feels like a ghost. A practical thirteen year old in charge of the family laundry business, her daily routine features unforgiving customers, unbearable P.E. classes, and the fastidious Mr. Saubertuck who is committed to destroying everything she’s worked for.

Wendell is a ghost. A boy who lost his life much too young, his daily routine features ineffective death therapy, a sheet-dependent identity, and a dangerous need to seek purpose in the forbidden human world.

When their worlds collide, Marjorie is confronted by unexplainable disasters as Wendell transforms Glatt’s Laundry into his midnight playground, appearing as a mere sheet during the day. While Wendell attempts to create a new afterlife for himself, he unknowingly sabotages the life that Marjorie is struggling to maintain.

239 pages, Paperback

First published August 28, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Brenna Thummler

5 books410 followers
Brenna Thummler grew up in northwestern Pennsylvania, where she developed a great love for nature trails, peanut butter, and, above all, drawing. A graduate of Ringling College of Art and Design, she was named the Society of Illustrators Zankel Scholar during her junior year. Since graduation, she has done editorial and advertising work for such clients as the New York Times, the Washington Post, Razorfish, and Empathic Films LLC. While Anne of Green Gables is her first published graphic novel, her first original graphic novel is Sheets. In those rare moments she’s not creating art, you might find her dancing, making music, baking cheesecakes, or spending time with kindred spirits.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 4,530 reviews
Profile Image for Ariel.
301 reviews64.2k followers
July 20, 2020
*NEW FAVOURITE ALERT* If I can encourage you to pick up a book right now, please let it be this one. I'm still swimming in the illustrations, they were so unbelievably beautiful. I'm sort of considering buying a second copy so that I can cut out some of my favourite pages to hang them in my room? Is that crazy? IT'S JUST SO BEAUTIFUL. But so was the story! The characters! Marjorie and Wendell have my heart! I'm so darn glad that there is a sequel coming because I need more of this world <3
Profile Image for Jesse (JesseTheReader).
457 reviews162k followers
Read
August 30, 2018
It has been a long time since I've read a graphic novel where I left it FEELING something. Don't get me wrong, I love graphic novels and I think they're so fun, but few really have left an emotional impact on me. I'm leaving this one, feeling the mark of that impact. (or should I say "stain", since our main character works at a laundromat?) I loved this story to pieces. I'll admit that I felt emotionally drained by it, because our main character is dragged through life. From the loss of her mother, to supporting her family, and the crippling loneliness that consumes her. It covers some heavy things, but it was worth making my way to the end to see how everything turned out. I really hope Brenna Thummler continues to create books like this, because I need MORE.
Profile Image for Caz (littlebookowl).
301 reviews40.3k followers
August 29, 2018
Rating: 3.5 stars

In Sheets we follow Wendell, a ghost wearing a sheet, and Marjorie, a young girl running her family's laundromat. At first, we jump between their two stories but eventually, they weave together. This is such a sweet read, both heartbreaking and heartwarming. I absolutely love the colour palette - the illustrations are truly stunning!

I did find the pacing to be a little off. The start is slow, but I actually really liked this. I enjoyed getting to know Marjorie, and seeing how she moved through her life. Then 3/4 of the way through, it's like a switch is flipped, and the pacing quickens and speeds towards the end. I thought it wrapped up a little quickly, and I was hoping to spend a little more time savouring the resolution.

That being said, Wendell's perspective was definitely my favourite. The pacing was a little more consistent when we follow him, and I really loved the concept behind the ghost world and how they interact with the living world.
Profile Image for Kayla Dawn.
291 reviews883 followers
June 13, 2019
3,5* - The ending felt a little rushed but overall I enjoyed this quite a lot! :)
Profile Image for Nat.
542 reviews3,171 followers
August 10, 2018

Local Friendly Ghosts, Grief, and Solitude

Sheets 2-- bookspoils
Sheets  illustrates the determination of a young girl to fight, even when all parts of her world seem to be conspiring against her. It proves that second chances are possible whether life feels over or life is over. But above all, it is a story of the forgiveness and unlikely friendship that can only transpire inside a haunted laundromat.

This book is also quite a looker; I only wish that the storyline would've managed to stir me just as much as the art did. I mean, just take a look at the below:

Sheets 4-- bookspoils
The amount of dedication it takes to capture the intricate details in one page is mind-boggling.

The color pallets in here make for a visually stunning graphic novel, which means that I have to share my many, many favorites:

Sheets 6-- bookspoils
I seriously can't get enough of the above. Every time I look, it stirs me anew.

Sheets 7-- bookspoils
There's so much truth in the last panel.

Sheets 8-- bookspoils

Sheets 9-- bookspoils

Sheets 10-- bookspoils

Sheets 11-- bookspoils

Just your local friendly ghost telling ghost stories:

Sheets 12-- bookspoils

Sheets 14-- bookspoils

Sheets 15-- bookspoils Sheets 16-- bookspoils

Sheets 17-- bookspoils

I think this last one might be my favorite. I can't stop staring.
Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 09.46.55
Overall, I'd say that though the nonsensical plot felt a bit lacking, in comparison the art style had me wholeheartedly committed to the story. SO MUCH VISUAL INTRICACIES.

Also, fittingly, this song came on loop during my reading:

ARC kindly provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Expected publication: August 28th, 2018

bookspoilsbookspoilsbookspoils

Note: I’m an Amazon Affiliate. If you’re interested in buying Sheetsjust click on the image below to go through my link. I’ll make a small commission!

Support creators you love. Buy a Coffee for nat (bookspoils) with Ko-fi.com/bookspoils

This review and more can be found on my blog.
Profile Image for Julie G .
857 reviews2,630 followers
September 19, 2018
Brenna Thummler illustrated the fabulous, wonderful, I can't-say-enough-good-things-about-it Anne of Green Gables a graphic novel, so when I saw she was flying solo on her own debut graphic novel, I didn't hesitate to pre-order a copy and pay the full price for it.

When it arrived, my 10-year-old (who is our resident artist), couldn't wait to get her hands on it, but I wasn't sure she was the target age, so I retreated to my room to read it.

I came out of the room, finished, with the book in my hand and my dramatic middle child (the artist), who is also highly intuitive, took one look at me and said, “Mommy! You'd better be nice when you review it!! It's hard to be an artist!”

(Sheesh—why does she think I wouldn't be nice? Did she stumble upon my Jaws review?)

How could I not be nice to the young woman who illustrated the newest Anne of Green Gables?

I will be nice. How about 5 stars for her stunning artwork and 1 star for the faulty story arc, nonsensical plotlines and total lack of character development?

That averages out to a 3. Ish. Not bad for a solo debut. And, if Brenna Thummler ever reads this, I'd like to remind her that both Trina Schart Hyman and Grace Lin (two of my all-time favorite illustrators) both started their careers with powerhouse visuals and weak storylines.

They both achieved greatness, and so will you.
Profile Image for aly ☆彡 .
336 reviews890 followers
August 22, 2022
Aw, I enjoy this book. The scenery and the colour palette incorporating the violet hues is my absolute favourite albeit the human illustration being something I'm not really fond of.

Even so, as vibrant as it looks, Sheets is an emotional journey through loss, depression, friendship, and fear. Trying to get through middle school with no friends and run the family laundry with no aid while your father is grieving is a huge load to bear.

It's unmistakable, with the heartbreaking plot, this novel came off a bit slow and might stall your drive to continue reading this. Marjorie's sadness and pain are palpable, but the book never becomes overbearing. I'd say, pick this up for it's lovely and adorably spooky theme.

I also love the message how when all seems lost, hope is still there!
(p/s: bringing Wendell home with me as I speak!)
Profile Image for emily .
228 reviews2,057 followers
July 4, 2020
I have officially given up my human form and turned into the googly eye emoji (🥺) and it is solely for the purpose of accurately portraying my feelings towards this graphic novel.

There is something incredibly pure and wholesome about reading about a sad girl becoming friends with a sad ghost. My heart grew at least three sizes during the progression of the story and i found myself staring at my phone and grinning from ear to ear (like the pathetic, soft-hearted loser that i am).

It is a seldom thing for a graphic novel to make me this giddy and happy. I think this kind of story is something that everybody needs right now, or generally during a rough patch in life. Something that reminds you, even for a moment, that there is still kindness out there and that you can find friendship in the most unlikely of places.

✨ buddy read with may, you are my unlikely place 🥺

rating: ★★★½
Profile Image for Sara the Librarian.
729 reviews304 followers
October 10, 2018
This didn't work for me as a YA graphic novel or a juvenile graphic novel.

Protagonist Marjorie Glatt (dear lord that name) is a middle schooler who's horrible father has left her as the sole person in charge of her beloved dead mother's laundromat. That's right, a child has been put in charge of running the family business because dad is too sad to come out of his room and take any responsibility at all for his children. She also has a very young brother who seems to be in kindergarten and is being left entirely to his own devices, again because dad's too sad to do anything.

I couldn't get away from that. Its just so awful. I was like immediately heart broken for these kids.

So Marjorie works insanely hard to keep this pretty damn gross laundromat going and every single customer who comes in treats her like absolute shit and says nothing about how insane it is that a 12 year old is running a business.

There's a local, deeply, deeply insane man who keeps breaking in and trying to convince/strong arm Marjorie into letting him turn the laundromat into a spa. He is just so deeply, deeply insane it defies any kind of understanding. He runs around the town telling everyone that the laundromat is horrible when he isn't actively engaging in sabotage by putting dye in the laundry soap. Again no one thinks this is weird or troubling or that this man should be arrested.

Then there's a ghost who lives in "the land of ghosts." Everyone in the land of ghosts in covered in a sheet that they must take care of at all costs and they can't ever be seen by people and a bunch of other rules typical in this kind of story. This particular ghost makes up a lot of silly stories about how amazing his life was when he was alive and is having problems coming to terms with being a ghost. I think. Honestly I found ghost world deeply confusing and kind of boring.

There really isn't a solid bridge of any kind between Marjorie and the ghost. I guess she cleans a lot of sheets in the laundromat? But somehow they sort of get into each other's orbits and learn from each other?

I just didn't get this. None of the important stuff like the families grief over mom's death or Marjorie's horrible father or the legal repurcussions of a child running a business or a madman routinely breaking into said business are ever even a little bit addressed and everything just sort of works out because ghosts!!! yay ghosts!

I also really don't mean to be a total jerk here but I hated the artwork. Everyone is drawn with these very long faces and super weird long noses that just make everyone look absolutely miserable all the time. The colors are very muted, which I get, but it just left me feeling horribly depressed.

There was nothing uplifting about this and no real magic. It left me sad and uncomfortable.
Profile Image for Carol.
1,370 reviews2,121 followers
September 5, 2018
SOLD! The ghostly book cover....the inside front and back covers....the detailed soft colored illustrations....just wonderful!

The memories are bittersweet....the laundry never-ending....or is it!

Poor Marjorie....so much to do. Trying to survive middle school with no friends and run the family laundry with no help while dad mourns is such a heavy burden to bear; and that coupled with an evil minded villain and mischievous young ghost bring anguish to Marjorie's face in many of the meaningful illustrations.

SHEETS (great name) is a sad, but powerful little middle grade graphic story about loss, perseverance, forgiveness and new unlikely friendships....plus one fine debut for Brenna Thummler.

Many thanks to Diamond Book Distributors and NetGalley for the complimentary ebook in exchange for review.

Profile Image for Chapters And Sparkles.
62 reviews49 followers
October 10, 2019
What a great book we have here! I read this book in one sitting and it absolutely blew me away. This is such a moving story about the girl, Marjorie, who spends most of her time doing the family laundary business. Alone in that world, she feels invisible. People treat her so bad and they have no understanding for her. Mar J is that type of girl who will forgive you anything in order to live her life peacefully.

Once you're dead,
you're dead.
You can't over-die.

Even though people treat her so bad, she still finds her will to fight for a good life. And once she meets Wendell, her life turns upside down. She doesn't believe in ghosts, yet he comes to her house every night. Firstly, she's not happy at all - ghosts are not real! But Wendell proves her that she's wrong. Also, he brings faith in her life. True friendships exists just like ghosts does.

But this place is home, baby.
And once you have that,
there's nowhere you'd rather be.

I loved everything about this book. It has lovely art and this type of setting is so unusual, I didn't know I would like it this much. I'm so happy that I read this book and I highly recommend it to everyone!

Profile Image for Steph.
477 reviews248 followers
December 31, 2021
sheets is a somber yet adorable ghostie graphic novel with beautiful coloring. i love ghosts, especially cute ones, so i really enjoyed this!

the art is interesting, because i love how the ghosts are drawn, and the purply-pink coloring is absolutely lovely (and in keeping with the 90s setting). but i'm not a fan of the art for the humans, especially the main characters.

rosalind's review mentions how fucked up it is that the villain is a the only fat character, and that's something that also bothered me a great deal. this came out in 2018... can't we do better? don't young readers deserve better? (a few reviews also mention that the villain may be queer-coded, which is also pretty fucked up)

otherwise it's a touching story, and the grief theme meshes really well with the ghost theme. i wish the relationships were more developed, as they are far more interesting than the save-the-laundromat plot. and some more worldbuilding for the ghost towns would be cool too. but hopefully the sequel digs deeper into the characters, and brings even more pretty pages!

marjorie and wendell standing by the water in the moonlight
Profile Image for [S] Bibliophage.
950 reviews851 followers
December 11, 2018
The story of Marjorie Glatt and Wendell in this graphic novel is quite entertaining to read. While reading this, Wendell reminds me of the famous Casper not only because they are both young ghosts but also for their personality and the way they try to help as much as they can. However, I was torn on the rating between 4 and 5 stars; I am hoping that there would be a second volume because I like how there was a panel that shows that Marjorie and Wendell might have met already when he was still alive.
Sheets by Brenna Thummler
The story of grief, loneliness, depression, moving on and remembering our departed loved ones were all tackled in this fast-paced story. The colorful illustrations are also highly appealing that makes the story charming and delightful to read. A must-read if you are looking for something that is a light-read yet still captivating.
Sheets by Brenna Thummler
Profile Image for Dave Schaafsma.
Author 6 books31.2k followers
November 27, 2018
I read this because I was looking over the shoulder of someone else in this house reading it and recognized the drawing style and distinctive coloring of Brenna Thummler, whose illustration work I liked very much on her and Mariah Marsden's adaptation of Lucy Maud Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables. This is Thummler's solo effort, featuring Wendell the friendly ghost (cue Casper meme here) and other ghosts, all wearing sheets.

Marjorie Glatt's mother died; she's thirteen and now pretty much in charge of running her family's laundry business, though Mr. Saubertuck wants to take over the building. Wendell mistakenly undermines the laundry business, but Marjorie is determined to survive, and a friendship develops.

The story isn't great, in my opinion, but Marjorie's personality comes through, and I like the art style a lot, conveying warmth and intimacy.
Profile Image for Hilary .
2,154 reviews393 followers
March 7, 2019
This is an unusual idea for a story, a 13 yr old girl runs a laundrette, her mother has recently died and her father appears to be housebound by his depression. The other storyline involve the ghosts that inhabit the town where Marjory lives and how she comes into contact with one who helps her turn her life around. Full of interesting characters you might meet in everyday life, the mean girls, the kind teacher, the annoying younger brother, the unusual yoga teacher, and the characters you might not meet like the ghosts, this turned out to be a really enjoyable read.

Profile Image for Calista.
3,792 reviews31.2k followers
October 20, 2018
Such an interesting new kind of story. There aren't too many stories set in a Laundromat and it sets up the tone very well. Down trodden and an endless cycle. There is a creepy weird dude named Mr. Saubertuck who is trying to take advantage of the family who owns the Laundromat. He wants to build a spa and take over the building and have a yoga studio. He puts pressure on Marjorie, the lead teen of the piece. He wants them to work for him and live in the studio.

I've never seen an evil yoga practitioner, but Brenna dreamed one up. I suppose it's possible, but highly unlikely. He also doesn't have that Yoga 'air' about him. He is doing everything including breaking in and putting dye in the soap to sabotage the business. He is one sneaky Pete.

A ghost named Wendell shows up trying to help Marjorie. We see the ghosts all in their land separate from the people. A Laundromat is like a playground for a ghost. He has fun there. We also get to see ghost culture and how many rules they have- so many rules.

The story is all about how to say the business and family. It's about Marjorie figuring out how to do life. I felt this was a clever story about death and life and finding your way. I enjoyed the ghosts and the sheets. Fun stuff all around.

I enjoyed this and had fun with it. I'm glad I gave it a whirl.(get it)
Profile Image for Katie Colson.
603 reviews5,223 followers
October 5, 2021
The art is so vivid and captivating. I was pausing on pages to just soak it in (which adhd usually never allows but that's shows how stunning the artist really is). The colors are so rich and meaningful. There would be different color schemes for different moods or different points in certain character's lives. Stunning.

I wish we had focused a bit more on Wendell and the past between him and Marjorie.

This is not sadness that hits you in the gut and takes your breath away. It is soft and whispers in your ear. The facial expressions Marjorie wears 95% of the time tells a whole story. There is this grief that has settled on the entire house and laundry mat that is palpable. It's depressing honestly. But it lends itself to the character understanding other people's situations in a much more nuanced way than others might.

This is a lot about standing up to others and standing up for your self. It's about loneliness and trauma and innocence.

I highly recommend this. Such a stunning graphic novel.
Profile Image for Tina.
2,306 reviews1 follower
August 26, 2022
This is a middle grade graphic novel, and this is the first book in the Sheets series. I have to say that I felt the beginning pacing was way to slow, but when we got to the middle it picked up. The pictures where very well done, and I think the pictures pull the story together. I love the colors of the pictures. This graphic novel does have a underlined sadness that is through out this book, but that fits the story. I think if the beginning of this book's pacing was better I would enjoy it more. I do think this book covers death of a family member very well, and it also shows it is ok to be sad after a death of a family member.
Profile Image for come book.
20 reviews6,334 followers
May 2, 2020
To odważne, ale mówię to z pełnym przekonaniem- to najpiękniejszy komiks jaki widziały moje oczy! Mogłabym sobie nim ściany wykleić! A sama historia wzruszająca 😭❤️
Profile Image for Reading_ Tamishly.
3,938 reviews2,165 followers
August 15, 2021
Rereading because I have the sequel.

It's a rather sad story and deals with grief.

A girl trying her best to keep her family laundry business working while the business is at stake.

The ghosts/sheets have a role to play in this. I wish the adult characters were a bit understanding but then the world is not always a beautiful place to survive in.

Initially I thought it would be a cute graphic novel. I wish I was right. I was both right and wrong here. It's serious, sad and cute all the same time.
Profile Image for Jen - The Tolkien Gal.
446 reviews4,382 followers
May 6, 2018

It's 1998 in Marjorie's world and the feels are no less in 2018.

"Mom opened glatt's Laundry when she was only nineteen. Bath then, it was "Dellaway Laundry", which is loads better. But then she met Dad and lost the ability to make rational decisions."...She died the past spring, and then Dad sort of did, too. He's still 100% opaque but slightly less visible."

This is the story of a girl, Marjorie. Not just any girl; a girl who feels out of place and invisible to the world. And she loves books and the piano. She's blond and awkward and has to care for a family while her father, depressed after his wife's death, (not a spoiler) stays in bed all day. It's basically teenage me. Except while I worked at a bookstore, she works at a laundromat. Let's just say I don't think I've ever related more to a character.

"Grown-ups are skilled at making terrible things great."

Our other character is Wendell, the ghost of a little boy. He is the cutest thing ever. He's a cute little ghost that over-exaggerated how he died to a bunch of other ghosts.

And he lives in a trailer. And goes to ghost AA meetings.

But Wendell gets kicked out of his house and needs a place to stay.

So a lot of things go wrong because of one big asshole (and Wendell's clumsiness)

Owen, her little brother, is just precious but a little bastard, like most pre-schoolers. Marjorie has to deal with being the mother, father and bread winner of the house while still going to middle school.

But Wendell, the ghosts and Marjorie work together to save the laundromat. Everything ends well. I know this sounds like a child's comic, but it's not. It deals with death of family and friends and the depression of the child in the child-headed household as well as the bullying and heckling she faces. It's very dark at times, but extremely sweet and endearing.

I listened to The Pillows while reading Sheets. The upbeat rock/grunge really set the tone. And I think this lyric from one of their songs describes Marjorie so well:

Japanese:
Ride on Shooting Star
kokoro no koe de sandanjuu no you ni
utai tsutzuketa

Ride on shooting star
With the voice of my heart, like a shotgun
I kept on singing

I was given this book by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
Profile Image for monica kim.
202 reviews6,071 followers
May 19, 2020
more like 3.5 - overall a really lovely story about loneliness and loss, but i wish it was a bit longer to flesh out the plot a bit more.
Profile Image for Amy Imogene Reads.
881 reviews759 followers
January 13, 2020
Why does this have such a low Goodreads rating?

This was a gorgeously illustrated and poignant tale of grief and slice of life, with the perfect dash of ghostly asides. I loved it, and would have rated it a full 5 stars if the ending hadn’t been so rushed.

Artwork: ★★★★★
Concept: ★★★★★
Pacing: ★★ 1/2

Sheets was brought to my attention by the lovely Ariel Bissett, who reads such an eclectic mix of books that I've been a YouTube subscriber to her content for years. I feel like giving her a shout out for bringing this lovely book to my attention. Read her Goodreads review here.

Sheets is a very unique middle grade graphic novel, dealing with a young girl in a coastal town who is keeping her family's laundromat afloat—while it continues to sink—after the death of her mother.

Told in BEAUTIFULLY rendered artwork, this was something so, so special.

There's also a ghost—in Halloween-style sheet—named Wendell, who finds his way into the laundromat and ends up in a bit of a pickle. Wendell was a young boy who died and is now trying to reconnect with the world despite the Land of Ghosts rulebook. It's quirky, it's adorable, it's everything.

Now, keeping in mind that this is middle grade, I felt it was really well done. The story has some significant vignettes of grief as it displays in a middle schooler, a parent, and a child. It handles financial struggle in an easy-to-grasp way. It's tastefully funny via Wendell the ghost.

I did think that the ending wrapped up in a fraction of the time it should have, given the pacing of the first 3/4. We should have had more time with that sequence, and I'm puzzled by the hasty ending as the first half was extremely measured in its pacing. What gives? It was mildly irritating, but as the rest of the story was still so strong I went with it.

Definitely check this out if you're a fan of graphic novel artwork or cute middle grade stories. Or if you need something fresh to enjoy over a cup of tea. This was great!

Profile Image for destiny ♡ howling libraries.
1,609 reviews5,001 followers
October 29, 2019
That cover is deceptively cute. I went into this graphic novel knowing almost nothing about it, and didn't realize it would be so sad! My heart hurts for Marj, and her little brother, and Wendell. I know Marj's dad is grieving, but what the heck, I spent 99% of the book wanting to punch him in the face and make him get his act together! No kid should have to go through what Marjorie goes through. :(

Overall, I enjoyed this story up until the last 20-30 pages, when everything suddenly became very rushed. A lot of loose stuff was left unfinished, too. I'd give this 3.5 stars, rounded up to 4 for GR's sake.
Profile Image for ♛ may.
801 reviews3,763 followers
March 18, 2020
you know what would make your day 8490 times better??? reading about a sad lonely girl and a silly lonely ghost become friends 👻👻👻👻👻

also the art is ABSOLUTELY STUNNING
Profile Image for Montzalee Wittmann.
4,451 reviews2,319 followers
June 24, 2018
Sheets by Brenna Thummler is a book I requested from NetGalley and the review is voluntary.
I found the first part of the book a bit slow but it did pick up when there was more interaction with the ghost. I felt for the girl and the ghost but I wasn't too invested in them. I found the flirting scene near the end out of place. It was an okay read.
I really loved the art work! Very nice! Wonderful colors and could almost tell the story without words!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 4,530 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.