Start by marking “A Pinch of Magic (A Pinch of Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Pinch of Magic (A Pinch of Magic, #1)

A Pinch of Magic

(A Pinch of Magic #1)

Three sisters trapped by an ancient curse.

Three magical objects with the power to change their fate.

Will they be enough to break the curse?

Or will they lead the sisters even deeper into danger? ...

The enchanting new story from Michelle Harrison, author of the bestselling Thirteen Treasures Trilogy
Published February 7th 2019 by Simon Schuster Children's UK

Start your review of A Pinch of Magic (A Pinch of Magic, #1)
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
I...absolutely adored this book.
It was just truly magical. It might be called A Pinch of Magic, but magic infused every word of this wonderful book.

Imagine an adventure story. Now add the high stakes element of being unable to leave an island to go on said adventure. Throw in some criminals, witchcraft, and what is without a doubt one of the strongest sisterly bonds Ive read in a book...and you have a book that easily settles itself into ALL of your emotions. I didnt expect to get so caught up
Gavin
Finished my re-read of A Pinch of Magic and I love it even more than I did when I read it last year. I didnt think it was possible.

A Pinch of Magic follows three Widdershins sisters - Fliss, Betty and Charlie - who are cursed to always live on Crowstone. If they go beyond, they will die by the next sunset. This is only the beginning of their incredible, magical adventure. Its a race against time to save their lives and each other.

One of the reasons why this is one of the best middle grades I
Umut Rados
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a cute, magical middle grade book with a gorgeous cover & end pages I must say :)
It's about Widdershin sisters trying to break a family curse affecting the women in their family for generations. They go on an adventure full of magic.
I loved the themes in this book. Sisterhood was the most prominent one with Widdershin sisters helping each other no matter what. There are also underlying content about trust, family, good & evil, etc.
The pace of the book was really good too.
Sara
A Pinch of Magic is a story of sisters, a curse and maybe a pinch of magic. Widdershin sisters Fliss, Betty and Charlie are the latest in a long line of Widdershin women to be cursed to never leave their home island, or else they'll be dead by sundown. But Betty longs for adventure and a way to escape her boring life by breaking the curse. So when the girls are gifted with some family heirlooms in the shape of a mysterious travelling bag, a set of wooden dolls and an old mirror Betty decides to ...more
Sophie Anderson
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Michelle Harrison is an incredible writer, with a huge talent for creating atmospheric, emotive adventures, and this is perhaps the best yet. A Pinch of Magic is simply phenomenal! A breathtaking quest for survival and freedom, bursting with brave heroines, enchanted objects and deadly dangers. And at its heart is a powerful and beautiful message of sisterly love and loyalty overcoming jealousy and betrayal. I LOVED every moment of this gorgeous story, and I know it is going to delight and ...more
Cat
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever found an author who write stories that are EXACTLY what you wish stories would be? That everything you ever wanted to imagine in a story is there, perfectly articulated on the pages you're holding in your hand? Well, Michelle Harrison is that author for me. Every single one of her novels has had exactly the right amount of magic, character names, adventure, and imagination that I could ever want in a story.

This particular novel was a delight to read. I was captivated from the first
Annemieke / A Dance with Books
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and Simon and Schuster UK for the review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Trigger Warnings: Suicide

4,5 stars

While I dont read it as often as I like, Middle Grade fantasy books can be such gems. A Pinch of Magic was one of those for me. When I requested this book there was no cover yet so you cant accuse me of being lured in by the cover which you have to admit is just gorgeous. I was lured by the synopsis of three sisters and three magical objects.

While this book
Mathilde Paulsen
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, thought Betty. It was fair to say that Lady Luck crossed the road when she saw the Widdershins coming.

This was a really good book! It was suspenseful, dramatic, interesting and funny. I loved the sisterly dynamics, the magic and the intricate curse that wove it all together.

A Pinch of Magic is a middle-grade book. It is about three sisters who are trapped by an ancient curse connected to their family. With the help of three magical items, the sisters will do all they can to break this
Tammie
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read- March 2020 for Middle Grade March, The Animal Crossing Readathon (Read a Host's Pick) and The 1st Middle Grade Monthly Book for March
- I knew that people said this book was amazing but I didn't know how amazing it was, I absolutely loved this! I can't wait to move onto the second book once I get back from work.
Steph
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A brilliantly written tale of sisterhood, magic, betrayal and revenge. What would you do if you were handed a magical object, but then told you were cursed? Betty has to deal with that on her birthday. Throw in a prisoner who wants to escape, 2 excellently brave sisters and a mysterious legend of a young dark magic witch in a tower and you have this incredible tale. I devoured it in a matter of hours!
Sabrina
I accidentally read this in one sitting (it was so engrossing) and I'm pleased to report I'm officially out of my reading slump!
There are three items...three gifts, if you like. Each of them is an everyday object. Each of them holds a different kind of power. I call it a pinch of magic.
I was really quite pleasantly surprised by this book! It had splashes of so many things I liked:

- Three spunky heroines (sisters) with a well-written relationship and distinct personalities
- Light humour,

Samantha
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Full of adventure with some great female protagonists!
Asha - A Cat, A Book, And A Cup Of Tea
This book is just perfectly magical. Can that be the entire review? No? Okay. But trust me, it is.

Betty Widdershins is the middle sister of three, and together with 17 year old Fliss and 6 year old Charlie, she lives with her grandmother (and a cat called Oi!) above their pub on the tiny island of Crowstone. Their mother is dead, and their father is in prison. Betty is itching to get off the island and see the world, but on her thirteenth birthday, Granny breaks some bad news The girls are beset
Scott Evans (MrEPrimary)
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sumptuously magical... an exquisitely-enchanting tale in a world weaved with wonder. With hearty heroines who embody the truest sense of sisterhood, prepare to fall under the spell of the story everyone will be wanting to read in 2019.
✨Emily | Procrastinating • Bibliophile
A Pinch of Magic is a story of sisterly love, curses, bad luck and a pinch of magic. Betty Widdershins dreams of being an explorer, but her dreams come crashing down when she learns of the family curse, trapping her and her sisters on the dreary island of Crowstone. However, when an opportunity to break the curse presents itself to the sisters, theyll need their wits, strength and luck to come out of it alive.

It was such a fun, entertaining story filled with things going wrong for the sisters
Nikki
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was exactly what middle grade stories should be - full of adventure, sisterly love, loyalty, treachery, bad guys, and, of course, a pinch of magic.

It starts a little slow, with Betty trying to escape from under her strict Grans watchful eye - shes a typical headstrong kid whos struggling with small town life. But the adventure builds and soon we are flung headlong into the magic, the curse and trying to find the truth.

As soon as they get into trying to break the curse, Betty really comes
Sabrina
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it
The Widdershins girls have three magic items handed down to them through the years, though they have no idea where they came from. However, that's not the only thing that is passed down. All girls in the family are cursed to remain at their home of Crowestone, if they leave they die. Betty has always dreamed of adventure so the idea that she can't travel hits her much harder than her two sisters. It also means that she is more determined than anyone else who came before her. She's sure she will ...more
Eeva
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a charming book about sisterhood and friendship and about pursuing your dreams. It has adventure and humour and everything you might expect from a book ike this.
I have a huge problem with the ending (view spoiler)
Cozyebooks
Mar 13, 2020 rated it liked it
This was such a cute Middle grade book with a beautiful cover!

I loved the themes of sisterhood and family! The book was so atmospheric and beautifully written. The pacing was amazing! I really enjoyed reading it.

Betty is an amazingly all rounded character. I love how intelligent she is. I also really liked Fliss and Charlie was simply adorable!

I would have loved an much more in depth explanation of the magical items. But other than that I really enjoyed the book!
the_reading_devices
A Pinch of Magic is just what it says: magical! It brought me back to that time when I used to read and reread the Fairy Oak books all day long (this one has a similar vibe too).

Everything was just perfect: the atmosphere, the plot, the magic system, it all came together beautifully. The writing too was enchanting and not at all repetitive like I had expected from a book addressed to a younger audience.

The characters felt so real and the sisterly bond was just as I (being an only child) would
Χρύσα Αναστασίου
This was so cute and wholesome. I had a great adventure alongside Betty, her sisters and a few more characters I cannot talk about due to spoilers. The book kept me such a good company and I had a feeling of warmth the whole time I was reading it.
Hannah Rials
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this book! The magic was different, and I loved the heart behind the curse. The threat of the curse is present throughout, even a little deadly at times. Plus, I loved the grandmother.
Occasionally became a little bit didactic, trying to explain to much to its young readers. Trust your readers!
Overall, a very fun, adventurous read!
Cookies_Comforts
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Merrypennies in the meadow, silver by night, were hopped upon by midnight imps who danced by pale moonlight....

Witch craft, the bond of sisters, adventure, danger and justice.

What more could you want, fabulous book 📚

5 🌟 and highly deserving.
Anaïs
Dec 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun!
Liam
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved A Pinch of Magic! It is a mesmerising tale of sisterhood and redemption, curses and magic.

It's a fantastic, magical adventure, with three endearing sisters. It's as much about family and sisterhood as it is about magic, though both elements are totally engaging and captivating. I loved the use of the three magical items, how they each represented their recipient in some way, and how they were used together to drive the story forward. The setting was enthralling, a glimpse
Laura Danks
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My daughter (10) loved this book. The magical elements were intriguing and she loved the story into the story (sorry trying not to give any spoilers). The details of the curse were absolutely amazing and that was her favourite part of the book. Michelle Harrison's writing is engaging but still accessible and she can count my daughter as one of her fans. A well-deserved 5 stars read.
BooksForTopics
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every so often a book comes along that completely blows me away and Michelle Harrisons A Pinch of Magic is certainly one of those books.
Spellbinding from start to finish, this is an enchanting tale of sisterhood, dark magic and a thrilling meeting of past and present worlds.

The story follows the three Widdershins sisters - Betty, Fliss and Charlie - who live with their overprotective grandmother on the isle of Crowstone. Their island is surrounded by unpredictable marshes and is set in the
Latkins
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable, magical tale of three sisters trying to break an ancient curse. Set in a well-realised world, with strong characters, and a plot which involves a prison break, the use of magical objects and a spot of time-travelling. Excellent!
Ramona
2,5 stars. I think I was simply spoilt by Nevermoor to be honest.
Arkham Reviews
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-on-blog
While the novel did fall short of being a perfect read, A Pinch of Magic was one of those stories that just drew me in. The story was a little slow to find its feet but gradually drew me in. The setting of Crowstone and its neighbouring islands was eerie and atmospheric, capturing an oddly timeless feel with its winding streets, treacherous marshes and deeply superstitious inhabitants. This setting was by far the most memorable thing about the tale, especially as it begins to reveal the history ...more

• The Girl Who Stole an Elephant
  • Nevertell
  • The Girl Who Speaks Bear
  • Malamander (Malamander, #1)
  • Frostheart (Frostheart #1)
  • WildSpark
  • The Highland Falcon Thief
  • The Boy Who Flew
  • Rumblestar
  • The Land of Roar
  • Willow Moss the Lost Day (Starfell, #1)
  • Explorers on Black Ice Bridge
  • Darkwhispers: A Brightstorm Adventure
  • The House with Chicken Legs
  • The Last Spell Breather
  • The Middler
  • When we were Warriors
  • The Way Past Winter
My first children's novel, THE 13 TREASURES, won the Waterstone's Children's Book Prize and has been sold for translation in 17 countries worldwide. It's followed by two sequels: THE 13 CURSES and THE 13 SECRETS, and a prequel, ONE WISH.

I've also written UNREST, a ghost story for young adult readers, and THE OTHER ALICE. My latest novel is A SPRINKLE OF SORCERY, the sequel to the best-selling A

A Pinch of Magic (3 books)
  • A Sprinkle of Sorcery (A Pinch of Magic, #2)
  • A Tangle of Spells (A Pinch of Magic, #3)