Start by marking “A Pinch of Magic (A Pinch of Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Pinch of Magic (A Pinch of Magic, #1)

A Pinch of Magic

(A Pinch of Magic #1)

A spellbinding middle grade fantasy about three sisters--adventurous Betty, curious Charlie, and proper Fliss--who go on a quest to break the curse that's haunted their family for generations.

All Betty Widdershins wants is an adventure--one that takes her far away from Crowstone, the gloomy island where she's always lived. But instead of an adventure, Betty and her sister
Published February 7th 2019 by Simon Schuster Children's UK

Start your review of A Pinch of Magic (A Pinch of Magic, #1)
Gavin
Finished my re-read of A Pinch of Magic and I love it even more than I did when I read it last year. I didn’t think it was possible.

A Pinch of Magic follows three Widdershins sisters - Fliss, Betty and Charlie - who are cursed to always live on Crowstone. If they go beyond, they will die by the next sunset. This is only the beginning of their incredible, magical adventure. It’s a race against time to save their lives and each other.

One of the reasons why this is one of the best middle grades I
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
I...absolutely adored this book.
It was just truly magical. It might be called A Pinch of Magic, but magic infused every word of this wonderful book.

Imagine an adventure story. Now add the high stakes element of being unable to leave an island to go on said adventure. Throw in some criminals, witchcraft, and what is without a doubt one of the strongest sisterly bonds I’ve read in a book...and you have a book that easily settles itself into ALL of your emotions. I didn’t expect to get so caught
Britt / Basically Britt
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
So magical and adventurous!! Loved it!
Sara
A Pinch of Magic is a story of sisters, a curse and maybe a pinch of magic. Widdershin sisters Fliss, Betty and Charlie are the latest in a long line of Widdershin women to be cursed to never leave their home island, or else they'll be dead by sundown. But Betty longs for adventure and a way to escape her boring life by breaking the curse. So when the girls are gifted with some family heirlooms in the shape of a mysterious travelling bag, a set of wooden dolls and an old mirror Betty decides to ...more
Umut Rados
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a cute, magical middle grade book with a gorgeous cover & end pages I must say :)
It's about Widdershin sisters trying to break a family curse affecting the women in their family for generations. They go on an adventure full of magic.
I loved the themes in this book. Sisterhood was the most prominent one with Widdershin sisters helping each other no matter what. There are also underlying content about trust, family, good & evil, etc.
The pace of the book was really good too. So, ove
April (Aprilius Maximus)
May 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1.) A Pinch of Magic ★★★★.5
2.) A Sprinkle of Sorcery ★★★★★
3.) A Tangle of Spells ★★★

-----------------------------------------------

BOOK #13 READ FOR BELIEVATHON ROUND 2.

"She who tries, triumphs."

representation: characters of colour (described as having brown skin).

[trigger warnings are listed at the bottom of this review and may contain spoilers]

★★★★.5

At first I wasn't really seeing what the hype was all about, but the more we got into the story, the more I really enjoyed it! AND THE PRISON
Dannii Elle
This is the first instalment in the A Pinch of Magic trilogy.

The three Widdershins sisters are unlike in looks and personality. The eldest, Fliss, is famed island-wide as much for her beauty as for her flirting, middle child Betty is the straight-taking one whose eyes are always resting on the horizon, and youngest Charlie is a bundle of energetic trouble, who can usually be found with a four-legged rescue hiding somewhere inside her overalls. All three reside with their granny on dreary Crowsto
♡ jules ♡
I adored this book. I understand why so many people rave about the series and Michelle Harrison's writing. It was literally magical.
I loved seeing the bond between the sisters mixed with a touch of old mythology. It truly felt like reading a fairytale.
I also really appreciated how different the girls were but that didn't create jealousy or rivalry. It brought them even closer and what a team they were.
Betty the explorer, Fliss the caring and charming, Charlie the mischievous and daring.
Each of
Megan
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
so magical, whimsical and special. https://youtu.be/1bfLLLLLeog ...more
Cat
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever found an author who write stories that are EXACTLY what you wish stories would be? That everything you ever wanted to imagine in a story is there, perfectly articulated on the pages you're holding in your hand? Well, Michelle Harrison is that author for me. Every single one of her novels has had exactly the right amount of magic, character names, adventure, and imagination that I could ever want in a story.

This particular novel was a delight to read. I was captivated from the first
Resh (The Book Satchel)
First book finished in 2021 was crackling
✦BookishlyRichie✦
***3.5 STARS***

The last three books I've read, including this one have all read and ended like standalones, but end up having more books as a series for no damn reason lol As much as I consider Michelle's 13 Treasures trilogy to be one of my favorites, I couldn't help but be a little disappointed in this one. It dragged at the beginning which makes sense why this book is 400 pages, it could've easily been cut down to 300. They hype for this was intense and of course it didn't measure up to it as
Maria
Sep 21, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
dnf @50%
too boring
Nicole
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was such a whisimical magical middle grade. It was such a pleasant read.

I really really loved this book. I really was in the mood for something fun and magical, this definitely filled that need.

The writing was really good. Obviously its aimed at children but as an adult, I really enjoyed it still and I think it could be enjoyed by any age.

The characters were also lovely. I really loved the three sisters, especially Charlie, she was adorable.

It was super easy to read. It really did warm my
Steph
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A brilliantly written tale of sisterhood, magic, betrayal and revenge. What would you do if you were handed a magical object, but then told you were cursed? Betty has to deal with that on her birthday. Throw in a prisoner who wants to escape, 2 excellently brave sisters and a mysterious legend of a young dark magic witch in a tower and you have this incredible tale. I devoured it in a matter of hours!
Annemieke / A Dance with Books
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and Simon and Schuster UK for the review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Trigger Warnings: Suicide

4,5 stars

While I don’t read it as often as I like, Middle Grade fantasy books can be such gems. A Pinch of Magic was one of those for me. When I requested this book there was no cover yet so you can’t accuse me of being lured in by the cover which you have to admit is just gorgeous. I was lured by the synopsis of three sisters and three magical objects.

While this boo
Anubha (BooksFullOfLife, LifeFullOfBooks)
I wouldn't say I hated it. ...more
Χρύσα Αναστασίου
This was so cute and wholesome. I had a great adventure alongside Betty, her sisters and a few more characters I cannot talk about due to spoilers. The book kept me such a good company and I had a feeling of warmth the whole time I was reading it.
Kira
Aug 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Thank you to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster Children's UK for an advance reader copy in exchange for an honest review.

A Pinch of Magic was a lot of fun to read, I thought the characters of the three sisters were really well developed and had their own individual identities and worked well together as a team as well as individuals as they all brought their own special element to the trio. I really did enjoy this book, it had everything that a middle grade needs and I'll definitely be picking up t
Simoné Eloff
Being the eldest of three sisters myself, I deeply appreciated the book's message of sisterly loyalty and love, but sadly, it just did not resonate with me all that much on other levels. We'll see how it goes with the second installment.

.....

Book #4 for Believathon III. This is actually a book from the featured author for this particular prompt (a book with a supernatural element to earn me the Torn Page), and it's one that I've been meaning to get to for aaaaages. Hope it doesn't disappoint!
Mel
Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Video Review: https://youtu.be/RlrM5rxy1h8

really enjoyed this. so fun and creative, a great read for anyone looking for a good fantasy middle grade.
Adi Rocks Socks
Story: 5 stars
Audio narration: 5 stars

Adventure is for the audacious.

I was lucky enough to be approved for an audiobook ARC of this magnificent children’s story. With strong elements of magic, love for one’s family, and witty writing, A Pinch of Magic is a vivid and enchanting story that I couldn’t stop listening to.

Meet our protagonists, Fliss, Betty, and Charlie. They’re the Widdershins sisters, and aged 16, 13 and 6, find out that they’re cursed — no Widdershin girl can ever leave Crowstone,
Mathilde Paulsen
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Yes, thought Betty. It was fair to say that Lady Luck crossed the road when she saw the Widdershins coming.”

This was a really good book! It was suspenseful, dramatic, interesting and funny. I loved the sisterly dynamics, the magic and the intricate curse that wove it all together.

A Pinch of Magic is a middle-grade book. It is about three sisters who are trapped by an ancient curse connected to their family. With the help of three magical items, the sisters will do all they can to break this cu
Nikki
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was exactly what middle grade stories should be - full of adventure, sisterly love, loyalty, treachery, bad guys, and, of course, a pinch of magic.

It starts a little slow, with Betty trying to escape from under her strict Gran’s watchful eye - she’s a typical headstrong kid who’s struggling with small town life. But the adventure builds and soon we are flung headlong into the magic, the curse and trying to find the truth.

As soon as they get into trying to break the curse, Betty really com
Tammie
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read- March 2020 for Middle Grade March, The Animal Crossing Readathon (Read a Host's Pick) and The 1st Middle Grade Monthly Book for March
- I knew that people said this book was amazing but I didn't know how amazing it was, I absolutely loved this! I can't wait to move onto the second book once I get back from work.
Bianca
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourite-series
I laughed and cried and all round loved this story about three sisters and their pinch of magic
🔮👛✨
Sabrina
I accidentally read this in one sitting (it was so engrossing) and I'm pleased to report I'm officially out of my reading slump!
There are three items...three gifts, if you like. Each of them is an everyday object. Each of them holds a different kind of power. I call it a pinch of magic.
I was really quite pleasantly surprised by this book! It had splashes of so many things I liked:

- Three spunky heroines (sisters) with a well-written relationship and distinct personalities
- Light humour, incl

Wendy
Betty, Charlie and Fliss are the Widdershine sisters. Betty is the middle sister and all she can think about is getting of the island they live on and explore. On Halloween Betty's thirteenth birthday she takes her younger sister Charlie on the ferry to go out and explore a local island, but is quickly swept back to there home island by there grandmother Bunny. Betty is so angry that she lashes out at her grandmother for never allowing them to do anything. This leeds to Bunny explaining to the g ...more
Amber Bismillah (scriptedsolstice)
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves
OH MY GOSH I CAN'T EVEN TELL YOU HOW MUCH I LOVED THIS! By far the best middle-grade i have read.

A Pinch of Magic is about three sisters; Betty, Fliss and Charlie, who, along with the rest of their female relatives, are trapped in their town of Crowstone by an ancient curse. We follow them on their journey as they learn more about the curse, and how to break it.

The stakes were so high in this which i absolutely loved! The writing is incredibly atmospheric and dark at times and honestly just entr
CR
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful story about magic, secrets, sisters, and love. I dived right in and read it all at once over the week. I need more!! The characters were so good!!!!!!!!!!! I loved the sisters and wished that I had a younger one but mom says no. :(
This adventure I think would appeal to kids who love magic!!

• Frostheart (Frostheart, #1)
  • The Girl Who Speaks Bear
  • The House with Chicken Legs
  • Malamander (The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea, #1)
  • The Train to Impossible Places (The Train to Impossible Places, #1)
  • The Castle of Tangled Magic
  • The Land of Roar
  • Brightstorm
  • The Girl Who Stole an Elephant
  • Potkin and Stubbs (Potkin and Stubbs #1)
  • Escape From Aurora (Frostheart #2)
  • Gargantis (The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea, #2)
  • Orion Lost
  • Darkwhispers
  • Rumblestar (The Unmapped Chronicles, #1)
  • The Highland Falcon Thief (Adventures on Trains, #1)
  • Tilly and the Lost Fairytales (Pages & Co., #2)
  • Nevertell
My first children's novel, THE 13 TREASURES, won the Waterstone's Children's Book Prize and was followed by two sequels: THE 13 CURSES and THE 13 SECRETS, and a prequel, ONE WISH.

I've also written UNREST, a ghost story for young adult readers, and THE OTHER ALICE. My latest novel is A TANGLE OF SPELLS, the third in the best-selling PINCH OF MAGIC ADVENTURES.

Before becoming a full-time writer I wo

A Pinch of Magic (3 books)
  • A Sprinkle of Sorcery (A Pinch of Magic, #2)
  • A Tangle of Spells (A Pinch of Magic, #3)