Start by marking “Creature” as Want to Read:
Creature

Creature

The monsters live inside of Kate Woodson. Chronic pain and a host of autoimmune diseases have robbed her of a normal, happy life. Her husband Andrew’s surprise of their dream Maine lake cottage for the summer is the gift of a lifetime. It’s beautiful, remote, idyllic, a place to heal.

But they are not alone. Something is in the woods, screeching in the darkness, banging on

Published September 6th 2018 by Flame Tree Press

Start your review of Creature
Char
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
CREATURE! It. Knocked. My. Socks. Off.

Kate and Andrew have certainly been tested. Her health, (a horrible litany of problems due to auto-immune diseases and problems arising from the treatment of them), and his care of her, has tested the strength of their marriage at every turn. Now with Kate trying an experimental treatment, they are in for their biggest test ever. In an attempt to alleviate the tension and bring some relaxation to their lives, Andrew rents an isolated cabin in Maine for the
Karl
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
At the conclusion of this version of Hunter Shea’s book “Creature” is an afterword where the author goes on for a couple of pages explaining how personal this book was for him to write and that the book recounts aspects of his personal life, his relationship to Don D’Auria (the legendary book editor and also editor of this book) and the difficulties he encountered writing this book.

Following the ‘Afterword’ there is a question and answer ‘interview’ with the author where he is asked “What is thi
Carol
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW!

CREATURE is not your typical horror story, but an emotional mix of a real life affliction of chronic pain and misery....AND a threatening monster that comes to call.

A good portion of the novel is a deeply emotional ride depicting the struggles of a devoted man who is determined to give his ailing wife her dream vacation at a beautiful lake in Maine....but all does not go as planned.

"The meds made her imagine things that would send Stephen King running for his blankie and his momma's breas

Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the publisher, Flametree Press for setting me up with a fat stack of Fall ARCs including this novel, Creature by Hunter Shea in exchange for an honest review.

This is my first Hunter Shea book and probably the best introduction to a writer's body of work that I could ever ask for. I'm a very emotional reader-probably to a fault, quite honestly. I get extremely invested in well written characters, almost as if they're real people. Of course that kind of emotional relationship depends
Kimberly
CREATURE, by Hunter Shea, is--in my opinion--his strongest, most focused, "heaviest" (in terms of theme), and character-driven novel to date.  This is a novel that incorporates many sub-genres of horror:  psychological, human suffering, suspense, visceral, supernatural, and fear-inducing, among many others.  If you're like myself and normally have a couple of books going at all times, you'll soon discover that this is simply not a book that can be read "lightly". CREATURE is a tale that demands ...more
Marie
This was a roller coaster ride of human emotions so strong that it brings what the true meaning of pain and suffering is to the raw surface. I have never read a horror book that touched upon the human suffering that people go through the way this book did.

Kate Woodson lives day in and day out with massive chronic pain and autoimmune diseases. She doesn't have a normal life like most people as she has to stay in the house and sometimes is bed ridden. Her husband, Andrew, is a devoted husband who
Bark
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
CREATURE surprised me. I’ve only read one Hunter Shea book, THE JERSEY DEVIL, and that thing was pure madness from beginning to end with its out of control body count and frenetic pace. I was expecting a crazed people eating monster to pop out of the woods and eat everyone and the pup before moving on to town and slaying more innocents but this is a completely different type of horror story. This one is about the physical and emotional toll an incurable disease has on a woman and those who love ...more
Edward Lorn
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't read much indie/small press horror, quality issues being my number one reason. But Hunter Shea is someone who produces a quality product every time. This being his best to date. If you'd like to see me elaborate on why I liked this book so much, you can find my full review here: https://youtu.be/C-IZTtEGhOg ...more
Bradley
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-shelf, horror
I have three ways to describe this novel:

Body horror, metaphor coming alive, and it's a deliciously painful romp.

AND it hits uncomfortably close to home for not just the author, whose wife is going through a long-term illness in too many similar ways, but for almost all of us. At least, I assume so. Enough of us either know or have been through family members sliding down that horrible slope to make this part of the novel truly harrowing all by itself.

But here's the best part: there's a lot of l
Milica
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS BOOK, ASAP. There. That's my review.
Trish
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was quite different from the other Shea stories I’ve read so far. For one, it was much longer (novel length); for another, as we get to know in the afterword, this is deeply personal for the author, adding additional heartbreak.

We follow Kate, a woman with an auto-immune disease as well as various other afflictions, and her husband Andrew. They decide they need to get out of New Jersey for a bit after all the illness-related horrors they’ve managed to get through together so Andrew takes a
Michael Hicks
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hunter Shea knows all about horror. An author with a score of books to his name, podcaster for Monster Men and The Final Guy, and writer of Video Vision posts for Cemetery Dance, all point toward a man who has lived and breathed the horror genre since he was a boy. He knows and writes about cryptids, ghosts, crazed killer animals, and plenty more in-between. But he also knows about real horror, true horror, like when your body begins to fail and suffer from a handful of maladies, any of which on ...more
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I can probably say that I've reviewed more Hunter Shea books on my blog than any other author and for good reason. One, the man's writing is prolific. I seriously don't know how he finds the time to write so much. Two, he writes such action-packed creature features which are always fun. However, I had a feeling when I picked up "Creature" that I was in store for something outside of the norm. And I can honestly say that what I read solidified Shea as one of my favorite three horror writers.

"Crea
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
This is actually a love story. Yup, a Hunter Shea love story. So, of course, that means that something will go absolutely wrong. Not in the usual kind of love story way, in a more bloody way. This is also a book that demands patience. Pretty much all the action, all the carnage happens at the end. But, there are, of course, hints along the way that something is wrong that something WILL GO wrong.

The star of the book is for me, is not any human, it's Buttons or But-But that he's so lovey called b
Red Lace Reviews
Kate Woodson's life is not what she expected. Once being a very active and lively woman, she now is a victim of her own body. Happiness is a thing of the past, however Andrew believes they can find some form of it in Maine, where a lake-house becomes available for the summer. The married couple thus set off, eager and full of hope, desiring the serenity of nature. Nature has other plans, however, as something resides within the dark, and it seeks their undivided attention.

(WARNING: This review c
Mindi
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This is my second book by Shea, and from what I can gather, both of the books I've read are a bit of a departure from his usual writing. I know he is well known for his creature feature novels, but this one and the other book I read are not heavy on the creature aspects, even though this one is literally called Creature.

Kate Woodson has a number of autoimmune diseases that keep her from even getting out of bed most days. K
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary |
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is one of Hunter Shea’s best works. He is an author that is very talented at spinning tales with much chomping and stomping. That pulpy goodness is at times exactly what a girl needs, even if it does feel a bit rote at times. However, if you’re looking for a read with actual substance, his books are not generally not the place to look.

Generally not.

With Creature, though, Shea gives people a startlingly raw look into the life of a Spoonie. People with chronic illnesses, especially those that
Alex | | findingmontauk1
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I have no words right now. This book made me think. It made me laugh and smile. It scared me in multiple ways. And it brought me to tears. A wonderful book - full thoughts and review soon. FIVE STARS!!!
OutlawPoet
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Generally, I read Hunter Shea for light-hearted horror. A little silly and a whole lot of fun.

Creature, while still fun, proves that Hunter Shea has some serious horror writing chops!

This is a scary and heartbreaking story that kept me on edge all the way through. I loved our couple so much – their relationship was what every relationship should be! And, oh, I so worried for both of them.

As I worried over their marriage and Kate’s health, Shea brings on some extremely scary situations – the kind
The Scary Reviews
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
This is most likely the best damn book Hunter has written. My review is posted here ---> https://wp.me/p5t5Tf-1Gt ...more
Brandy Humphrey
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every so often a book will come along that leaves a mark. For me, CREATURE by Hunter Shea is one of those books. We meet Andrew and his wife Kate who suffers from autoimmune diseases that keep her from doing basically anything that isn't getting up to get a drink or use the bathroom; anything more, and she finds herself in excruciating pain. Andrew decides to surprise Kate with their dream getaway to a beautiful cabin, deep set in the woods of Maine. Health issues aside, everything seems great.. ...more
Eddie Generous
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unnerving Magazine Review

Listen to my interview with the author here: https://www.unnervingmagazine.com/sin...

Hunter Shea does seem to enjoy penning thrill rides based in the creature feature sub-genre. Oddly enough, despite my assumptions going in, Creature doesn’t really fit in with the other books I’ve read by him where something big and mythical is the subject.
Creature is wholly different.
Firstly, it’s not an adventure horror. Those are fun reads, but can be pretty formulaic (not complaining
Emily
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
I struggled with Creature. I very recently read another medical story with a possible paranormal aspect, so I think I was a little burned out, and it was hard not to compare the two.

I do want to say that I appreciate what the other was trying to do, and I think this book will work well for a lot of people. This was a hard and personal book to write, and I appreciate the boldness in being able to share this story.

Creature is a very slow burn, but it does culminate into action at the end. I thin
Tracy Robinson
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was my first novel by Hunter Shea. It will certainly not be my last.

Things I Loved:

Within the first few pages, I was a part of the characters' lives. To read a horror novel that spends so much time on character development (without it feeling like character development) is refreshing and I soaked it in.

The intensity builds as the book progresses; it never left me with that "come on, already" feeling - the pacing and the action is well timed. And when it's ready, it explodes.

The lang
Frank Errington
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review copy

Yes, I consider myself a Hellion. That's how Hunter Shea refers to his most ardent followers. I can't say I've read every one of his books (he's remarkably prolific), but I've yet to read one I didn't care for.

Creature is the second book I've read from new publisher Flame Tree Press, who looks to publish both established authors and new voices in horror and the supernatural, crime and mystery thrillers, as well as science fiction and fantasy. It's also a bit of a diversion for Hunter
Richard
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, horror
6/10

A horror tale where the real horror is a disease that is slowly killing you and preventing you from being the person you want to be. This is made all the more personal to the author after you read the Q&A at the end of the book as his wife is currently living with this disease.

I’d seen Hunter Shea’s name pop up a fair few times on Goodreads and had wanted to give him a try and see what he’s about. I think he’s primarily known for his B-movie monster style novellas but this was slightly diff
Juli
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kate Woodson suffers with autoimmune disease. Her health problems are slowly killing her. As an escape from her mounting physical problems and the subsequent damage to their relationship, her husband Andrew rents a cottage in Maine for the summer and takes a 3 month leave of absence from his job. They both need a break from their day-to-day lives. But, in the woods surrounding the seemingly idyllic cabin lurks something so horrible, something so monstrous it might just destroy them both. The Cre ...more
Zakk Madness
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Creature, by Hunter Shea, is a heavy bit of personal character study from a writer that has built his writing career on cryptids and creatures. This time around it focuses on a revolving introspective/ spectators look at our body's tendency to revolt against us, for unknown reasons. Which in itself is a highly frightening subject, a primal fear of mine after losing my grandmother to Alzheimer's/ Dementia. And this is not to say that Creature doesn't deliver in the fang and claws department, I fe ...more
Glenn Rolfe
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it
With CREATURE, Hunter Shea shares a horror none of us would choose to face. A very slow burn with one of the most sympathetic characters I'v ever read. The last act of this one features enough savage horror for Shea's regulars.

I give CREATURE 3.5 monstrous stars.

*Recommended for patient horror readers. Takes a while to really deliver, but when it does, watch out!
Russell James
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
At turns harrowing and heartbreaking, Hunter Shea delivers an excellent tale filled with backwoods terror. The story of Kate and Andrew’s struggle with her illness runs in parallel with the creature that stalks them in their remote Maine cabin. Both stories climax in a satisfying conclusion. Well written with great dialogue that really brings the characters to life. Horror at its best.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Skullface Boy
  • The Possession of Natalie Glasgow
  • Stirring the Sheets
  • Tribesmen
Hunter Shea is the author of over 25 books, with a specialization in cryptozoological horror that includes The Jersey Devil, The Dover Demon, Loch Ness Revenge and many others. As part of the new horror line at Flame Tree Press, his novel Creature has gained critical acclaim. His novel, The Montauk Monster, was named one of the best reads of the summer by Publishers Weekly. A trip to the Internati ...more