Start by marking “Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons” as Want to Read:
Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons

Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons

(Cookies)

Everyone knows cookies taste good, but these cookies also have something good to say. Open this delectable book to any page and you will find out something about life.
Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons is a new kind of dictionary, one that defines mysteries such as "fair" and "unfair" and what it really means to "cooperate."
The book is by turns clever, honest, inspirational
Published May 2nd 2006 by HarperCollins (first published May 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Cookies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cookies

Kate
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a cute children’s book that uses cookies in different contexts to demonstrate the meaning of words such as honest, trustworthy, proud, etc. Great way to demonstrate these concepts to kids!
Shelly
Apr 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Of all the children's books I have read (and believe me, I've read hundreds!) this is definitely in the top ten. I not only love the book, but also the way my girls respond to it and the questions they ask while we read it.
Amanda
Jan 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
A common frustration among people anywhere is not having the words, the right words, to describe how they are feeling. This book is brilliant. Not only are children being introduced to a new or wider vocabulary, but they are learning what the words mean in a very basic but thought-provoking manner.
May 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-lit
Please know my rating is not meant to demean the author. However, I do strive to give an honest appraisal of the books I read so I am choosing not to censor this review.
This is a book about moral values using cookies to spread the messages. There is absolutely nothing wrong with these lessons. But, it is not anything new or different or noteworthy. This is the stuff of Hallmark cards, tug-at-your-heart advertisements, and a plethora of similarly styled literature. To me, it is the sort of book y
Shiloah
Loved this book of lessons. Great analogies using cookies!
Jul 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Too sweetly cute really for my taste, but I could see how this would appeal to a lot of parents and some kids. The concept of defining words using cookies as a metaphor is fun, but the pastel, country-esque illustrations, populated primarily by anthropomorphized animals and idealistically adorable little tots tip the whole book over the edge into territory I prefer not to occupy. There's no traditional narrative and the entire package feels more like a gift book for graduates rather than somethi ...more
Holly Mueller
Jun 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
First of all, I LOVE the cover! This is a delightful picture book that defines and illustrates various character traits/adjectives like patient, modest, trustworthy, compassionate, etc. through the baking, eating, and sharing of cookies. The illustrations are so sweet, and I would use the book for introducing character traits and/or talking about a classroom culture anyone would be proud to build.
Lisa Vegan
I guess I’m a sucker for schmaltz but I really enjoyed this book. I love the author using cookies to perfectly and simply describe various human attributes. The illustrations of children with animals in seemed really fresh and they were really lovely. It’s a great book to introduce important vocabulary to preschoolers and a great opportunity for discussion with early reader age kids. Warning: Readers of all ages will really want to eat cookies.
Regina
Jun 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers, librarians, counselors
Here's my confession. I love this book so much that I have to buy my own personal copy for myself. I hogged this book all last year in my library and kids didn't get to check it out. I resolve to be a better and more generous library media specialist next year. I will let kids check out Cookies: Bite-Size Lessons and perhaps order another copy.
Jeremy
Want to read it again, more slowly, with cookies.
Joy Machen
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is precious to me! Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons, is a book that holds a lot of meaning for me because my grandmother used to read it to me when I was little. Over the course of my life, we have baked a lot of cookies together. This book uses the theme of "cookies" to teach younger kids advanced vocabulary words in a way that is simple and straight forward. The examples given for each word relate to children in an a situation they would understand. The illustrations are so classic an ...more
Nicole Maendel
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a worthy little book with simple, easy to understand life lessons shared in the context of cookies. It is relatable, as most children enjoy cookies. The captivating, soft yet colorful illustrations of animals and humans, engage the child and his/her imagination. The Chocolate Chip cookie recipe at the end is a sweet touch.
Camille Haynie
Informational. This book isn't about a historical event or anything, it just presents life morals and facts about humanity in a clear way. I love that they relate everything to cookies so that the concepts become manageable for kids.
Kary
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
I loved the vocabulary in this book, and how the author related the characteristics to cookies. It might be good to use in teaching metaphor to older kids, and also in discussing character. I really don't think it will hold my kids interest during storytime though.
Kelly
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book teaches kids about manners through the idea of baking chocolate chip cookies. It teaches words such as optimistic, trustworthy, envy, pride, patience, and many other virtues. It is a wonderful learning book.
Michelle
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All of life's lessons presented through cookies. Who knew it was so simple? :-)
Miss Sarah
The process of making and sharing cookies is used to illuminate lessons in life about manners. Cute. Preschool and up. Or a great one on one.
Mely
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Loved that this teaches children different vocabulary words, but at the same time relates it to something that kids really enjoy... Cookies! I absolutely adored the vintage inspired illustrations.
Katie
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
A wonderful book about Cookies, but filled with life lessons we can all benefit from....while eating a cookie of course!
Sara
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Like a concept dictionary that explains some big ideas (respect, courage, generosity, etc.) in the context of cookies, making them easy for young audiences to chew.
Lisa
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a great book! Simple yet profound. Adorable and fun but also deep truths. My 6yo and I both enjoy it.
Beth
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet picture book that defines certain virtues and vices through the lens of cookies.
Eliot Reads
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Important life lessons told through adorable illustrations and the delicious context of cookies, LOVE it!
Katrina
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist, favorite
Love this book! Adorable illustrations and timeless lessons.
Los Gatos Library
Some of the things adults would like children to know are hard to explain. How to explain "respect?" How about "trustworthiness?" Using the metaphor of cookies, Amy Krouse Rosenthal and Jane Dyer have created a guidebook to good morals that both kids and adults will enjoy. Proud, in cookie terms, means "I sure do like the way my cookies turned out." Modest, on the other hand, means "you don't run around telling everyone you make the best cookies." The watercolor illustrations include a diverse c ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
Jan 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Amy Krouse Rosenthal's approach to children's books is something I generally like. She takes those important (and sometimes overdone) big concepts - self esteem, individuality, and in this case, manners - and gives them a fresh face that appeals to modern, 21st century kids.

In a list of definitions reminiscent of A Hole is to Dig, Rosenthal gives us her advice on how to live and how to treat others using a cookie theme.

Here are three examples from the book:

Trustworthy means... If you ask me to
Darshana Khiani
Cookies is a very unique book, it teaches etiquette without being preachy. The book uses “cookies” as a means of explaining concepts such as Patience, Trustworthy, and Fair. My favorite line to use on the girls is “Patience means, waiting and waiting for the cookies to be done”; the best part is they get it! The illustrations complement the text very well in helping to convey the meaning of these higher-level words.

Older kids can read this and understand the meaning, as the text is simple and pr
Connie
Nov 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
The point of this book is simple: We have absurdly adorable kids and anthropomorphic animals running around demonstrating the meaning of vocabulary, with a helpful dose of character as well, using cookies as props.

I find the human-sized animals in clothes a bit much, but I like the point of this book and the execution. Every word is described (often with dialog instead of a traditional definition) with cookies as the example. For instance, Content is "Sitting on the steps, just you, me, and a co
Leah
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book about big life lessons, but put in terms for young children to understand. By describing character traits with the use of cookies, children are able to grasp these big concepts. The book describes attributes such as fairness, respect, generosity, and many more. They are all concepts that children should understand and work towards.
In the classroom, you could use this book in order to resolve conflict and teach children these character traits. You could focus on one chara
Veronica
Apr 28, 2013 added it
Shelves: manners
I'm working on creating a booklist for my local public library. This book was one in consideration for this list.

I will not add this to my list. It's more like a children's book written for adults. The arrangement of the text, lack of story, even the illustrations seemingly appeal more to an adult than it would a child. If an adult were to give this to a child to learn about life and kindness, etc, they would hate it.

However, if someone were reading this book to their child, it may be different.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• There's Something in My Attic
  • The Important Book
  • Samuel Eaton's Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Boy

SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was.
She divided her time.

NOT SO SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was a person who liked to make things.
Some things she liked to make include:

Children's books. (Little Pea, Spoon, DuckRabbit)
Grown-up books. (Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal, Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life)
Short films. (The Beckoning of Lovely, The Money Tree)
Guided journals. (The Belly Book)
Something o