Start by marking “Craven Manor” as Want to Read:
Craven Manor

Craven Manor

Daniel is desperate for a job. When someone slides a note under his door offering him the groundskeeper's position at an old estate, it seems too good to be true.

Alarm bells start ringing when he arrives at Craven Manor. The mansion's front door hangs open, and leaves and cobwebs coat the marble foyer. It's clear no one has lived there in a long time.

But an envelope
Published December 11th 2017 by Black Owl Books

Start your review of Craven Manor
Barbie
May 23, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

My thoughts in a nutshell
This is my second book by the author, and I failed again. The first read was hilarious, even though it was a horror. Now, I realized Darcy Coates just couldn't write a great horror story. It's a sad fact.

The story is about…
Skip over this point if you don't like the sneak peek.
Daniel gets a housekeeper job in an old, abandoned house. He needs money, so he accepts the offer. He starts to see a ghost, and he finds out that Craven Manor is not as empty as he thought.

What
Ginger
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-read, 2019
4 STARS!

I really enjoyed this one. It was an interesting ghost story with lots of mysteries involved. I enjoyed the twists and turns to Craven Manor in regards to the Myrick family and what’s really going on at the estate.
I loved how the beginning of the book instantly pulls you into the mystery and atmosphere of Craven Manor.

This is the first book that I’ve read of Darcy Coates and I was impressed. I enjoyed her writing, the plot of the book and how she kept me guessing as the book moved along.
Shaina
This was an excellent ghost story. I loved the main character’s attitude; although he was a bit naive, Daniel was delightful. It’s nice to see his type of character. In a lot of ways he reminded me so much of someone close to me and he was hardworking, so I bonded with him instantly. It was very refreshing. I loved the entire premise and legacy of the family at Craven and the story surrounding it all. I loved reading this a lot. I received an advance copy and read it right away and could not put ...more
Matt Rudy
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I can't believe this book is nominated for a Goodreads Choice Award. It was a very average story.

I decided to edit this review a little bit after talking to a few people and after thinking more about the story. Things make a little bit more sense to me now, but I'm still not sold on this book.

The story starts out with Daniel getting a job offer to be the groundskeeper for Craven Manor. He decides to take the job because he really needs the money. Little does he know this manor is very haunted.
Kimberly
CRAVEN MANOR, by Darcy Coates, is a supernatural novel with a rather unique scenario. In the beginning, we are introduced to a young man--Daniel Kane--who is searching for odd jobs every day just to survive. His cousin, Kyle, allows him to stay in his cheap apartment--providing Daniel can get together enough money to pay half the rent. Immediately, Coates is able to show us the intrinsic differences between the two. Daniel is something of a rare anomaly nowadays; a gentle, caring person who ...more
Marie
This was another awesome ghost story by author Darcy Coates and I have added it to my favorites shelf.

The mystery begins when Daniel receives a note under his door to become a groundskeeper of an old mansion called "Craven Manor". He is wary of who sent him the note and why they would want him to take care the mansion. But as mysterious as it sounds he sets off to find out if the note is for real or if someone is playing a trick on him.

But it is not a trick as when he arrives at the mansion, he
Latasha
there is some really great scenes here. i really like how some of the characters and scenes are described. The story is good but not really scary. the characters are just fine.
Franzi
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars

Loved it. Even if the story was a little predictable, I could not put it down. It's definitly my kind of ghost story with lots of spooky atmosphere and mysteries. I really liked the characters (especially Bran!) and loved to find out about the backstory of the owners.
I definitly recommend reading it if you like a good ghost story without too much blood and gore :)
Paul
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
somewhere between 3 & 3.5 stars. some good atmosphere yet i found the writing style so straightforward, which in itself isnt a negative but it wasnt quite as atmospheric as it may have been with a little more flourish. the ending also seemed a little draggy to me but overall an enjoyable read.
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5! Rounded up for Goodreads
This was my first Darcy Coates book and I buddy read it with my good friend, Mindi (@gowsy33)
This author came recommended to me by Destiny (@howlinglibraries) the last time I mentioned loving haunted house tales.
CRAVEN MANOR is one of those books I would buy as a book present for a large swath of readers. I think it would be appealing to a lot of different people with varied tastes. It would be perfect to read on the plane or on vacation; I can see myself getting a
Ellen Gail
Two sad lil stars for what I genuinely thought would be pretty good.

I think I have a problem. (Well, I actually have many because, life you know?) But I have a book problem when it comes to Darcy Coates. I read Hunted last year and it was SO GOOD! And I think that's part of my problem. It exceeded expectations and I keep wanting her other books to wow me the same way. Both The Carrow Haunt and Craven Manor are fine ghost / haunted house stories. I didn't hate them. But when I KNOW she's capable
Mindi
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A couple of my friends picked up some books by Coates a while back, and I was intrigued, especially because the covers were so striking, so I bought the same books. This is Women in Horror Month, so my friend Sadie invited me to buddy read this one with her. I obviously agreed. Anytime Sadie gets excited to read a book her enthusiasm is infectious. So we both started Craven Manor on the same day.

Last month I read The Carrow Haunt by Coates, and I have to admit I was surprised by the ending of
Evi
May 22, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019, dnf
DNF at 31%

I'm sorry but I can't read this now. Daniel, our main character is flat and stupid, the plot seemed far-fetched and the story was full with clishes. I hoped this would be a good horror book but no. It was not creepy at all. At least, not for me.
Amber J
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 15 and up. Lovers of horror, ghosts, haunted houses, paranormal.

“Even if I get murdered, it’s still better than being homeless again.”
― Darcy Coates, Craven Manor

As always my reviews are based off of my true and honest opinion and I do my best to keep all reviews spoiler free.

Daniel lives with his cousin and works odd and end jobs while trying to find a steady one. He is a caring person who gives what little he has to help others. He's a trusting soul but smart and doesn't scare easily. Now his cousin basically gives his room away and expects even

Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
This was the first book I've read by Darcy Coates and it was really good!

If you don't like very scary books, no worries, you won't have to sleep with the lights on or anything. It's just a little creepy and there's a few 'hold your breath' and 'make you jump' scenes but nothing over the top.

I'm kind of picky about ghost/ haunted house stories especially the endings but I was pleasantly surprised by this one. It wrapped up nicely and didn't leave you hanging with a million questions which seems
Lori
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Underwhelming. My second by Darcey Coates and I'm giving her one more chance only because I already have another on order. Most supernatural novels are weak because the protagonist doesn't have the sense to get out when scary stuff starts happening, and this is the case with Daniel in "Craven Manor.". It's another horror novel that depends on the stupidity of the main character. And the book is full of plot holes, which seem to be a specialty of the author. "Craven Manor" has suspense and builds ...more
Lisa Eirene
Mar 27, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't understand the high ratings and reviews of this book. This book is very poorly written. The concept could have been really interesting but the execution was poor. The characters were flat and unrealistic. The supernatural aspect of the book could be interesting but again, poorly written full of cliches!
Susan
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, ghosts, non-mm
Audio re-read November 2019
I liked this narrator!

--------------------------------------

Not as creepy as The Carrow Haunt, but still a very enjoyable book.

Daniel is living with his cousin Kyle in a 2 bedroom apartment. Daniel is glad Kyle let him live with him, since he was living on the streets before Kyle found him.

Kyle may not be the best roommate, and Daniel still doesn’t have a steady job, but he thinks he will get by like this. But his search for a job is not going that well, and
Peter
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daniel Kane, is a homeless person, looking for a job. His cousin Kyle takes him in so he can help pay the rent. Daniel works all kinds of odd job to help his cousin pay the bills. One day a note is slip under his door, with some money, and a job offer. Against his better judgment, Daniel decides to take the job. The position is grounds keeper at Craven Manor. Daniel moves into the ground keepers cottage, right behind the crypt. Daniel goes to the manor, and the door is wide open. He also ...more
Montzalee Wittmann
Craven Manor by Darcy Coates and narrated by Will Damron is a great ghost story but a story about an unlikely friendship too! It has mysteries, a creature or two, a ghost, greed, and compassion all in one book. I liked how it all ended up too! Narrator was terrific in his performance also! Good book all around!
Jessy
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story and the ending was perfect. It was definitely creepy, but I was still laughing/smiling at parts. Can’t go wrong with a good ghost/supernatural book.
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
Not my favorite book by this author. I was looking for something creepy, and this one just didn't do it for me
Amitaf0208
Enjoyable however the main character was too gullible and I was frustrated at times at his choices.
aPriL does feral sometimes
‘Craven Manor’ is a terrific ghost story! I know many will enjoy the spooky atmosphere of the haunted mansion where the main character, twenty-ish Daniel Kane, meets the peculiar, um, people, who change his life.

Daniel is broke. He lived on the streets for a short time after his grandmother died. Six months ago, his cousin Kyle offered him a room in his apartment if Daniel pays rent. It isn’t much - the neighborhood is poor and the six-story apartment building is a little more than ‘gently used’
Tony
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is a solid 4 star read. I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was well written and was a great spooky read for Halloween. I'm not going to summarize the story, because you can get that info from the book cover or other reviews. I just want to comment on the book/story as a whole.

Let's get the negative out of the way first. The writer paints a GREAT picture with words and I found myself "sucked into the scene" with the characters. However, she tends to use some of her descriptions
Kenneth McKinley
Before I ever read anything by Darcy Coates, there was one thing I could say for sure about her - she sure knew how to get her work featured on Amazon. Everywhere I looked for something specific in horror, she always seemed to have a book or two listed as one that I might like as well. That kind of stuff always gave me pause. Most of what Amazon thinks is good horror is absolute garbage. Well, after all this time resisting, I finally decided to check out her work and see for myself. What a ...more
Inn Auni
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, fantasy
Daniel was a good guy in his early 20's but down on his luck when it come to securing a permanent job. His cousin wasn't helping either, trying to evict him in a subtle way. So, Daniel had no other way but to accept a job offer as groundkeeper at a creepy abandoned mansion.

From the get go the setup was creepy. You knew something was waiting for Daniel. You knew something was going to happen. But you couldn't help but root for Daniel.

The ghost in Craven Manor can be equalized as the one in
Nora Peevy
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Bran is an endearing character. This book is original and captivating. I read it in one sitting. I loved the cat. ...more
Helen
This was a decent quick-to-read supernatural tale. The writing style is easy to read and straightforward but evocative enough. The MC Daniel, was immediately likable and the background plot was fleshed-out enough to keep me entertained. Perfect if you want a spooky, Gothic-tinged bite of escapism.
Nancy
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read
Main character, Daniel, has to be the weakest, dumbest, most gullible character ever put on-page. He is repeatedly used and abused by his cousin Kyle and never "gets it." The entire book he tries to figure out what it all means and if he should really do what he is told; e.g., the instructions say don't open the door if anyone knocks, "Wonder if I really need to do that or can I open that door?" Dumb, dumb, dumb. Or, after showing his terrible cousin his gold coin, "Where is my coin? Did you ...more
thoughts on this one..(bad IMO) 6 33 Aug 22, 2019 12:42PM
Horror Aficionados : February 2019 Group Read #2 with Guest Author, Darcy Coates 94 184 Mar 01, 2019 07:31PM

• Callie (The Bayou Hauntings #1)
  • The House of Long Shadows (House of Souls #1)
  • The Haunting of Abram Mansion: A Riveting Haunted House Mystery
  • The Haunting of Lannister Hall
  • Forgotten Men
  • Nightmare Abbey (Nightmare, #1)
  • Malefic (House of Souls #2)
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • The Haunting of Beacon Hill (The Beckoning Dead, 1)
  • Don't Look Back
  • The Coldwater Haunting
  • Black Acres: The Complete Collection
  • The Harvest (The Bell Witch #1)
  • The Nursery (The Bayou Hauntings Book 3)
  • Haunted Hideout
  • Curse of the Black-Eyed Kids
  • Beneath Claire's House
  • The Nightmare Room (The Messy Man, #1)
Darcy is the USA Today Bestselling author of Hunted, The Haunting of Ashburn House, Craven Manor, and more than a dozen horror and suspense titles.

She lives on the Central Coast of Australia with her family, cats, and a garden full of herbs and vegetables.

Darcy loves forests, especially old-growth forests where the trees dwarf anyone who steps between them. Wherever she lives, she tries to have a
“It will be fine. Go and season the door, just like regular people do all the time.” 1 likes
“he’d felt desperate, always clawing for just enough money to pay rent and eat, running the endless treadmill of job applications and rejections, and feeling that homelessness was always just a misstep away.” 0 likes