Start by marking “Seize the Time: The Story of the Black Panther Party and Huey P. Newton” as Want to Read:
Seize the Time: The Story of the Black Panther Party and Huey P. Newton

Seize the Time: The Story of the Black Panther Party and Huey P. Newton

Sieze The Time is Bobby Seale's, a longtime activist and co-founder of The Black Panther Party, riveting first-person account on the evolution of The Party as a national organization. In the words of Seale the book "...continues to have a universal apppeal as an account of an oppressed people's struggle for human liberation."
Published November 15th 1996 by Black Classic Press (first published 1968)

Start your review of Seize the Time: The Story of the Black Panther Party and Huey P. Newton
Gayle
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Loved this book, and was not put off by it's being in the vernacular of the time as some reviewers were. It was written down from audio tapes made by Bobby Seale in the fall of 1968 and the fall and winter of 1969-1970, and if you pay attention you witness the personal and political growth of Mr. Seale over those years.

I was especially riveted by Bobby Seale's play by play of being gagged and bound with chains in an United States of America federal courtroom in the Chicago 8 grand jury inve
Emma
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I would love to consume this book as an ebook narrated by Bobby Seale; I really feel this is how God intended it and would lend to the book greater cohesion and zeal. One of the remarkable facets of Seale's book is his capacity to sublimate personal ego and to admit gaps in knowledge. Bobby's book is a sergeant at arms story - a guy who wants to understand how all of this theory can actually have a practical impact and who rejects self-aggrandising stereotypes. I wonder what a movement would be ...more
Alex
Jun 22, 2007 rated it liked it
this book is poorly written. bobby seale was trying to make huey p. newton into some kind of fantastic revolutionary hero, and the book gets silly at times. nevertheless, the history of the party is good, and the best sections deal with bobby's personal experiences of being harassed and imprisoned by the police "pigs." a feeling of claustrophobia and suffocation overtakes you when he describes being bound and gagged in the Chicago 8 courtroom.
Noel Hidalgo
Dec 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: political, history
while Armstrong said "one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind," the black panthers took this sentiment and build a revolution. if you are into the civil rights struggle, end of the vietnam war, or community organizing... this book is a must.
Guido Colacci
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everything I thought but was always told I was crazy to believe...
Lumumba Shakur
Apr 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is hands down the best history on the creation and evolution of the Black Panther Party that has been written. Anyone interested in a straight-forward history of the movement, this is the book to read.
Paul  Addis
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best and most accessible books on the BPP written by one of the two founders.
Cheris Hodges
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book changed my life and thoughts about politics. How? Because it details how evil and sadistic the government can be when it comes to people of color.
Georgia Roybal
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Reading the first third to half of this book, I was tempted to stop reading it. This part of the book had discussion after discussion on arming the Black Panther Party and what guns people had or needed.

I kept reading, however, and was glad I did. Some interesting things I learned from reading this book: Huey Newton loved to listen to Bob Dylan while preparing the Panther newsletter. Bobby Seale was very appreciative of his lawyer, Charles Garry. In fact, much of the drama surroundin
Ruth
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: racism, america
Bobby tells us who is righteous and who is phony, who is jive and punk, how the "fascist, avaricious, demagogic ruling class and their low-life, sadistic pigs" trap Americans into cycles of oppression, and what the Black Panther Party did about it. This hot first-person narrative, written in the vernacular of the time, lays down the truth.

Bobby describes Huey P. Newton's understanding of the black community in America as a colony seeking liberation from imperialist forces. By linking
Rodney Falberg
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Finished this book Friday. Bobby Seale certainly seized the time to fight for his Constitutional rights, not just for him but for his community. The Black Panther Party was the first group to really fight for modern day gun rights, particularly for African Americans in the era of Civil Rights. They fought for having community control over their lives and over the government, things Conservatives pretend to want but seem to forget when they get in office. The Black Panther Party, despite being fa ...more
Stacey
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Seize the Time is a book that gets to know how Black Panthers started and what their ideologies are, and how the government did everything in their power to stop them. The media was always portraying a false picture of what was really going to shine a negative image towards the black panthers and communities. Black panthers were adamant about being peaceful and law abiding citizens-just trying to defend themselves and their families against police terrorizing and brutalizing their communities. T ...more
Rosenita Delva
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been extremely interested in the Black Panther Party since I graduated from high school in 2013, but this book written by Bobby Seale has led me to fall in love all over again with the Black Panther Party. EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS BOOK!
Jacques Millet
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great look into The Black Panther Party and how it was started. It helped clear up the negative information that was heard over the years.
Nicki
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent and Hollywood exploited the true value of this book and the Black Panther Party for SELF DEFENSE.
Brad
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An unparalleled first person account of the rise of the Black Panther Party and their remarkable, almost unimaginable times.
Finooola
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is one of the best books about socialism I've read, and it has the added bonus of being littered with late 60s/early 70s slang which begs to be read (inwardly of course) in a blaxploitation accent. Insults that I now intend incorporate more fully into my everyday speech include principally JIVE, but also the old staples of swine, pigs, dogs, lackeys, and perhaps best of all jackanapes! But to get back to seriousness, you do have read a lot "dry theory" if you're interested in left wing poli ...more
Noel
I am very interested in the history of the Black Panther Party. I've read some books on this topic (Revolutionary Suicide, Soul on Ice, If they Come in the Morning,& Soledad Brother) and i found this book really detailed. Bobby Seale tells the history of the party from his perspective and uses his vernacular to express himself. He details many interesting facts about the party such as the formation of the party, the denial of his constitutional rights during his trial, and the governmental a ...more
Jay
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Seale was a fearless warrior who, along with Huey P. Newton, wanted nothing more than freedom, justice, and peace not only for Black people but all of humanity. This book is best read while simultaneously reading Huey's autobiography "Revolutionary Suicide" because doing so provides a holistic understanding of how and why the Black Panther Party for Self Defense came to be and what it stood for. This book is unconventional in that it is an entire transcript of audio tapes recorded of Seale while ...more
John Almada
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Black Panther Party is among the most falsely reviled groups in recent american history. All the guns they carried were legal and Huey Newton knew how to use the second amendment.
"Huey put his hand around his M-1 rifle and continued, 'We have a constitutional right to carry the guns....Huey knows his law so well he wouldn't have his M-1 loaded in his car. When he came out of his car, he dropped a round into the chamber right away... these pigs can't keep you from observing. Don't go anywher
Hatuxka
Sep 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
I remember this as an electrifying read at the time as a high school student. I remember nothing about what was written about Huey Newton here, only the story of Bobby Seale, which is a cultural document in and of itself. Bobby Seale could be heard on bay area radio often in the late sixties and he came across very well and for that I think was so often the media face of the Panthers. His inclusion in the Chicago 8 was weird-he simply didn't belong there, even considering how contrived and fanta ...more
Zeke
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An important work to learn from. Written by Bobby Seale while a political prisoner in 1970.

One thing documented here is how the Black Panther Party was taken down by the government mainly by going after its leadership.

And yes, leadership is a thing, it exists, especially today when you hear people spouting the "no leaders" bullshit that just means they want to be leaders but not have any accountability to the people.

From the dedication by Bobby Seale:"Huey P. Newton, Minister of Defense of th
Ay
Jun 28, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who believes in true LOVE, everyone interested in freedom and civic engagement
im still reading this book, but it has giving me facts where vague iconic images once lied. reading this book further solidifies what the panthers started out as and operated from. they werent scary dudes with guns, they were young motivated gifted and intelligent Constitutionalists...

im still learning,

im still reading...
Nathan Smith
May 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Bro. Seale really takes us into the conversation and movement of the Black Panther Party. I felt like I was sitting around at a family gathering listening to a relative tell stories of his "glory days." Captivating.
Steven Shane
"So all the brothers had that stuff down. They all had their guns pointed straight up in the air as they carried them. We were walking up the sidewalk. I remember a brother in the background saying, 'Look at Reagan run.'" Thank you Bobby Seale.
Ian Nisbet
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Although I do not agree with the Socialist ideas in the book, it was a very influential read for me. I read it when I was 18 years old and it gave me an insight into a very different and troubling world, that is the real America - land of the oppressed, home of the slave.
Stfrancis Resputin
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Its like reading a movie!!
John Arnette
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Power to the People!"
Lysergius
Nov 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Should really be the rise and fall. Amerika does not like people who don't know their place.
Diamond
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Could definitely have used better editing because it could be so repetitive.

• Soul on Ice
  • Revolutionary Suicide
  • Soledad Brother: The Prison Letters of George Jackson
  • Nigger
  • An Autobiography
  • A Taste of Power: A Black Woman's Story
  • Malcolm X Speaks: Selected Speeches and Statements
  • The Assassination of Fred Hampton: How the FBI and the Chicago Police Murdered a Black Panther
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
  • Makes Me Wanna Holler: A Young Black Man in America
  • Assata: An Autobiography
  • Martin and Malcolm and America: A Dream or a Nightmare?
  • The Mis-Education of the Negro
  • Race Matters
  • Black Power: The Politics of Liberation
  • The Black Panthers Speak
  • Up from Slavery
  • They Came Before Columbus: The African Presence in Ancient America
“Huey was something else. Huey was out of sight. He knew how to do it. Huey was ten motherfuckers.” 10 likes