Start by marking “With This Ring (Vanza, #1)” as Want to Read:
With This Ring  (Vanza, #1)

With This Ring

(Vanza #1)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  6,094 Ratings  ·  226 Reviews
Leo Drake, the "Mad Monk of Monkcrest," is notoriously eccentric and unquestionably reclusive. But he is also a noted antiquities expert, which is why Beatrice Poole has demanded his reluctant assistance. The freethinking authoress of "horrid novels," Beatrice is searching for the Forbidden Rings of Aphrodite, a mythic treasure she suspects played a role in her uncle's dea ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 358 pages
Published December 23rd 2009 by Bantam Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about With This Ring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With This Ring

Ginger
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This was a good mix of mystery and romance! I figured out who was behind the murder of Beatrice's uncle before the revealing but I still enjoyed this more then I thought!

I really liked both characters.
Leo Drake was eccentric and an enjoyable character to read.
I loved Beatrice being a secret, horror book writer and her love of mystery. She also did not put up with fools or Leo being domineering at times. I loved that about her character.

I've read many books by Amanda Quick over the years and they
Daniella
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have always been amazed at how Ms. Amanda Quick manages to create a certain degree of mystery in her stories without making them too dark or maudlin, and With This Ring is definitely not an exception. The elements of a romance novel and a thriller are combined together in a perfectly balanced book, which is further augmented by its lovable hero and heroine. I enjoyed reading this and could not put it down.

I loved Beatrice and Leo. Both were headstrong and stubborn individuals, and from my expe
Lizzy
Apr 30, 2014 rated it liked it
A good mix of mystery, suspense and romance makes With This Ring by Amanda Quick an entertaining read. 2.5 stars.
Penny Watson
Jun 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Quickie Review for With This Ring by Amanda Quick

Amanda Quick is the master of the universe. The first 13 pages of With This Ring are absolute perfection. Her writing never ceases to amaze me...she can nail an entire scene with a single word. Everything about this book is perfect...the storyline is tight, the characters are larger than life, the mystery engaging, the humor is spot on. Leo, the Mad Monk of Monkcrest, and Beatrice, secret author of "horrid novels," are a fantastic pairing. Honestl
Candace
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beatrice and Leo

Beatrice Poole's uncle Reggie, Lord Glassonby, has recently died. Beatrice feels it wasn't his heart which caused his death. She knows he was murdered because of the Forbidden Rings of Aphrodite, a two hundred year old antiquity. Beatrice seeks out an expert in old legends and antiquities -- the Mad Monk of Monkcrest, Leo Drake. Leo feels the Forbidden Rings of Aphrodite is a legend and not a physical antiquity. Beatrice is determined to find the rings and then sell them to reimb
Aarann
Feb 28, 2016 rated it liked it
I've read worse by Amanda Quick, but I've also read better. The story featured a widow and a widower, rather than a virginal "original" and the two were older than her characters usually are (the book actually featured several jokes poking at their "advanced" ages). Otherwise, this one didn't break any molds. Beatrice was the usual headstrong, indomitable female, plunging headlong into wacky situations that Leo had to occasionally rescue her from and more frequently, yell at her for getting hers ...more
Hailee (haibooklovers)
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: recency-ish
Slightly ridiculous but highly enjoyable
CamryWagon
Personally I don't consider With This Ring part of the Vanza series since the island of Vanzagara is only mentioned once as the origin of a plant Monkcrest posesses. Just saying.

I read this book after reading the more recent books by Amanda Quick and I felt as if things were a bit slow to get off the ground. Something about characters being stuck in the boondocks during a storm must have that effect on me. The story picked up once the characters started moving, though.

I liked reading about chara
Lauren
With This Ring
4 Stars

Impoverished following the death of her husband, Beatrice Pool earns her living writing “Horrid" novels. When her uncle dies under suspicious circumstances, Beatrice approaches the notoriously anti-social Leo Drake, Earl of Monkcrest “The Mad Monk” for assistance, and soon finds herself immeshed in a plot not unlike one of her books.

Amanda Quick’s writing is somewhat formulaic but her stories never fail to entertain. The eccentric and enigmatic Leo has more than met his mat
Lady Wesley
An enjoyable audiobook, with a plot combining romance, adventure, and mystery. Barbara Rosenblatt is not my favorite narrator, primarily because she goes in for too many long pauses.
Holly
Oct 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Leo Drake and Beatrice Poole form an interesting alliance to find a lost ring, which leads them into a murder mystery. And of course, there is some hot sex and romance along the way.
I want to go back in time so I can have carriage sex...
This is Amanda Quick at her best.
I loved the banter between Leo and Beatrice as they spar off each other.
Ms. Quick creates such interesting male characters--alpha, and sexy-hot.
Her female leads are always intelligent, strong, and daring.
They always give the guy
LibraryLass
Feb 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keeper, 2008, 2010, re-read
As per usual, I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Whenever I haven't a clue what to read next but want something I know I am going to enjoy I always pick up either an Amanda Quick, J D Robb or (early) Julia Garwood. Guaranteed satisfaction

Re-read July/10
JoAnn
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This would be the 2nd Amanda Quick book I’ve read, and I must say both story and pretty similar in context. Now that being said I still enjoyed both of them.

Like Second Sight, this takes place in London and has Sherlock Holmes feel to it. Beatrice is a widow, which gives her more room to be the kind of heroine we like, in other words she is no shrieking violet that’s trying to hold onto her virginity. Our hero, Leo, is a mysterious brooding gentleman whom is fighting boredom.

The few things I l
Andree
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Apparently I'm reading a bunch of Amanda Quick? Okay, look, not gonna lie, but the plots feel very similar between this one and the last one I read. Not identical, but similar. I like this one better, mostly I think because the characters are older, and a little more rational/less impulsive. Also, Leo and Beatrice's dynamic is really, really excellent. By far the best part of the novel. I enjoy how blunt/honest they are with each other about most things. The character stuff is good; the dramatic ...more
Lori McD
This quirky book provided a bit of a mystery along with a fun confection of a "romance". The "Mad Monk" of Monkcrest is an old nickname for men of the title of Earl of Monkcrest, because often the men are considered odd or eccentric... of just plain mad.

This Mad Monk is none other than Leo, a man who's raised 2 grown sons (19 and 17 respectively) mostly on his own. The sons are now an a Grand Tour of the Continent with their tutor, and Leo finds himself alone. On a stormy night, as he's ponderin
D.W. Nichols
Oct 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Una historia de amor envuelta en la intriga, el misterio, la aventura y el asesinato. Si estas razones no son suficientes para leer esta apasionante novela, hay algunas más.
Leo Drake, Conde de Monkcrest, apodado el Monje Loco es como un Indiana Jones del siglo XIX, con ganzúas en lugar de látigo. Un hombre de 40 años que tiene el convencimiento que lo que le queda de vida tendrá que enfrentarse al mal que más teme: el aburrimiento. Pero por suerte para él, Beatrice Pool aparece en escena y se cr
Heather
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was an enjoyable read. Much better than the second book in this series (I Thee Wed - which doesn't really seem related to this book to any great extent). Leo Drake ("the mad monk") is a very likable well portrayed character. I enjoyed his role from the opening scenes of the book right through the end. He's eccentric, charming, and enigmatic.

Beatrice Poole, the heroine, is also well portrayed although she can be a little pushy and demanding at times.

The book made me laugh out loud in severa
Nancy
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, romance
Beatrice Poole, a widow and secretly the author of romantic “horrid” novels, contacts Lord Leo Drake to assist her in locating a valuable relic. The “Mad Monk of Moncrest”, as he is nicknamed, is known for his antiquities studies. Thrilled when he accepts her challenge, she wonders if she’ll be able to focus when his seductive manner distracts her.

Engaged by the woman’s forthright attitude, Leo has reasons of his own for agreeing to his scheme. Little does he know that his heart will be at risk
Brianne
Jun 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, historical
I had to take a short break from unsatisfying romances and With This Ring was the perfect way to come back. This was sort of a quiet read, something I enjoyed and would recommend but it didn't blow my mind. I really liked both the hero and heroine, and enjoyed the way they ended up together. Also, the hero's two older sons, 17 and 18, set this romance apart from most others. They didn't play a big role but I liked seeing that both characters were more mature than usual and had lived lives separa ...more
Fernanda
:) muito bom!
uma historia envolta em misterio, lenda e antiguidades.
com uma trama muito envolvente Amanda Quick, mantem o leitor agarrada, literalmente.

Beatrice, uma escritora de historias de horror anda na demanda de encontrar uma chave muito especial... e nesta sua senda encontra o tão mal fadado Monge Louco, na pessoa do Conde de Montcrest....

O prato forte da historia é mesmo o misterio e o suspense, na sua vertente romântica é muito breve. Mas é sem duvida uma historia imperdivel. :)
Molly
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
The usual fabulous, steamy, fun writing, coupled with a little bit more mature couple. The story progresses naturally, the plot is interesting and the villain is not completely expected. There are surprising turns in the mystery sub plot (which actually helps the love story). I liked this one a lot!
Shasha
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
I liked the romance and the mystery kept me going. However, what was with the paranormal feelings of the heroine? She had a sixth sense about old items. Not what I look for with my historical romance.
Brenda Audiobooks Only
Barbara Rosenblatt - narration 5*s

Amanda Quick will always be a favorite uncomplicated author for me.
Vivian Chan
This one's a bit turn-off.
The suspense is mediocre and the romance is cliche at best.
I actually jumped dozens of pages several times to see the destined happy-ever-after ending...
Miriam Stern
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fun, entertaining, and very quick-paced novel! I liked both main characters. Well balanced and a very good plot that keeps you wondering who the real culprit might be by the end!
June
Jun 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: victorian/romance/mysteries
Beatrice, vicar's daughter and horrid novel author, asks the Mad Monk of Monkcrest's help in locating the treasure that caused her Uncle's murder.
Dakota
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Around 3.5-4
Liked this one better than I thee wed.
Enjoyable read
Linda Rice
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I always love Amanda Quick's books, and I loved this one as well, but not quite as much as others.
Sarah S
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
The romance came on a bit abruptly. Surprisingly, "everyone" turned out to be the bad guy. Lots of skimming.
Astri  Nasthasia Videlia
Aug 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
hahahhahha.. kata orang ini jelek..

kata orang ini biasa ajah..

tapi gw suka... ^^
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: With This Ring (1998) Book 1 1 5 Sep 27, 2012 11:05AM
  • Trust Me
  • Ghost Hunter (Ghost Hunters, #3)
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz

She earned a B.A. in History from the Uni

Vanza (4 books)
  • I Thee Wed (Vanza, #2)
  • Wicked Widow (Vanza, #3)
  • Lie by Moonlight (Vanza, #4)

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Rules of Regret
  • Cry Baby
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Matchmaking for Beginners
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Copenhagen (International Guy #3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Don't Hex with Texas (Enchanted, Inc., #4)
  • Windfallen
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Wild Hunger (The Phoenix Pack, #7)
  • Archer's Voice
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire's Touch (The Sinclairs, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Ordinary Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Forbidden Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Turning Back (Kathleen Turner #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Surviving Girls (Hidden Sins, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dirt on Ninth Grave (Charley Davidson, #9)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Dark Instincts (The Phoenix Pack, #4)