Start by marking “Learning How to Learn: How to Succeed in School Without Spending All Your Time Studying; A Guide for Kids and Teens” as Want to Read:

A surprisingly simple way for students to master any subject--based on one of the world's most popular online courses and the bestselling book A Mind for Numbers

A Mind for Numbers and its wildly popular online companion course "Learning How to Learn" have empowered more than two million learners of all ages from around the world to master subjects that they once struggled
Published August 7th 2018 by TarcherPerigee

Start your review of Learning How to Learn: How to Succeed in School Without Spending All Your Time Studying; A Guide for Kids and Teens
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Takeouts:
- attentional octopus
- reverse procrastination
- hard starting
Fatima Mahjoub
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Learning is a privilege. In some parts of the world, children have no access at all to books or computers or teachers. I believe that we owe it to those people who don’t have access to school to make the most of our opportunities. I want to encourage you in your learning for all of those reasons, and more. After all, as Terry says, you never know when your learning is going to come in handy."
A terrific book! I really wished I had read this book in high school, I've suffered a lot back then, an
Massimo Curatella
Learning How To Learn talks about simple and effective practices to improve your ability to learn more efficiently and more effectively.

Dr. Barbara Oakley, among the many other books authored, is the creator of the most popular MOOC with the similar name “Learning How To Learn” which I immensely enjoyed and includes many of the thinking tools presented in this book.
I had the pleasure of being an early reader of this book’s draft as a reviewer and I was really eager to buy the final book when rel
Sarahelisabeth
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I purchased this book as I thought it might be useful for my children but have found this fun, fast paced overview of learning also useful as an adult. It would have been useful for me to have read years ago but the ideas work for any age. I plan to read and discuss this book with my children.
Ayse_
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
Barbara Oakley is a rare gem of a person and writer, she has walked the walk, and she writes based on facts and science and with compassion.
I believe this book can be of help to any student of any age trying to master a new field,
very easy to read and follow.
Karen
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fair warning: I'm going to gush about this book. ;)

Barbara is amazing, her team is amazing, their writing and research is amazing, and if you ever have the opportunity to join their online MOOC course with the same title, that is amazing too. She's an excellent role model for anyone striving to create a great life for themselves and for others.

Regarding this book: The analogies are fantastic! What happens to our brains when we sleep and how our brains work while learning -- the chains, the alien
Frank
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Three stars because I already know most of the facts presented in this book. I'm not bragging, it's just that I've read enough about self-improvement, meaning, and happiness that I already know the material. Mind you, if you aren't familiar with how the brain works, this book will be great. Everything is explained very clearly. Keep in mind that it was written for very young people so that you won't feel it has a childish tone.

The book explains how to study for maximum memory retention of materi
Scott Hayden
Super well done!
Go kids in school?
Still learning yourself?
Read this. No, don't. That is, don't just read it. Do it.
I've enjoyed study success most of my life. This book increases my hindsight insight into my own success and shows how anybody can make the most of the learning equipment built into your brain. It's written by and about people who were not necessarily "smart" in every subject, but learned how to overcome learning challenges.

And its tips work for more than just traditional classroom
Laszlo Bulik
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I discovered the course on coursera by accident, it helped me with learning a lot of new skills, from my path to learning German ( from zero, now reading books) to knitting ( from zero to celtic cable scarf) and now I am trying to learn how to code ( python) so really it gives you a lot of tools, a do not give up, keep going, see and enjoy the progress aproach. Never compair to others, but to yourself ( someone can learn a lot faster, but do not give up) Do not fall for the mirracle methods etc. ...more
Fred Leland
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a simple look at experiential learning. It’s written in a very fun and u understandable way that helps those who teach understand how the brain processes I formation and learns. It goes way beyond lecture and talks about a hybrid of methods for good learning to take place. In short as a trainer of police I loved the ideas in this book and believe they will be helpful in evolving learning programs.
Ronell Smith
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First book down of the year. Highly recommended for anyone attempting to become a more disciplined, skilled learner. I picked up a number of accessible tips for sharing with my kids and using myself.
Casey
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this. Would be an excellent gift for any young student. And then go ahead and read it yourself, too.
Amanda
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this because I need to teach study skills to 6th graders next year, and I needed some ideas. Much of this will seem basic to people to whom excelling at school comes naturally, but as a teacher it is important for me to remember than so many kids need to be explicitly taught these skills, particularly my special education kids. This book broke these strategies down in approachable ways with concrete, kid-friendly examples. Good for ages 11-16 or so.
Nguyen Luan
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Learning How To Learn" talks about simple and effective practices to improve your ability to learn more efficiently and more effectively. No matter what your age, throughout your life you will be learning. Your formal education ends with high school, but for many the learning never ends. As you learn more things, your chunk will getting bigger and clearer.

This book helps you to understand your brain better, how our brain learns and making the most of this learning can help anyone become a bette
Heather Stringham
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is written for tweens and above, but it gave me a literature girl some clear understanding on ways that can help our brains to think and get better at various items. It has fun metaphors and other guides to help readers.
Diane
Sep 20, 2019 added it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very interesting. I think it’s a book teens should read.
Olympia
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very helpful learning strategies from secondary school to the rest of your life.
Ali
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
a very entertaining read about learning how to learn, a must read for everyone who want to learn things effectively!
Tiffenie
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Funny, cute, reading

I love how three stories of three people tie together in one book of learning how to learn. The zombies and octopus examples are cute. The language is easy to understand and enjoyable, yet the book is shorter than thought to be. The book gives a basic example of how to begin your journey on learning how to learn, but when one reaches mastery, how will that look like? Can there be continuation books on intermediate to expert levels? I guess one has to apply what one is given i
Shishir Shroff
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shishir
Highly recommend for all adults with young kids as a read along.
Khaya
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this booked. It is readable and I understood all the strategies. I implemented the different strategies and I am still implementing them and they are still working.
Adam Hock
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good resource to get you started on how we learn and some methods to improve our learning.
sch
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pd, teaching
Jun 2019. Summer PD.

Finished, a remarkably engaging book. Maybe I should read more books for teens. Rich in potential, and easily digestible. I will try out several changes in my own study habits in addition to my classroom, parenting, and homeschooling efforts.
Cindy
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stated simply for students, this book overviews techniques for learning based on solid scientific research. The author vale’s a variety of learners and shows the advantages of each.
Rahmatullah Barkat
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are curious bout how to learn better or checking up whether you've done the right thing in terms of learning. This guide for kids and teens is also for you. Yes. Even if you are an adult or aging adults. Heheh.

It explains with pictures and metaphors quite enough to simplify heavy terms on most part. Makes reading this book easy. Every chapter also ends with hightlight, summary, and question, it actively ask you to recall the main point of every chapter.

For me, I enjoyed reading this book
Amy Dance
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Written for kids & teens, I still found this book enlightening and helpful. I intend to put these ideas into practice to learn new skills. Some of the ideas I was familiar with (like getting enough sleep & exercise, study a litle @ a time, focus for short time periods then take a break) but some were new to me ( how the brain makes & saves connections, & focussed vs. Diffuse mode; using metaphors & memory palaces).

This book could be very helpful to my children if they would read & apply.

The met
Sarah Arntson
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book to my 10 ten year old son. It was very reader friendly and the authors did a great job making the book entertaining as well as educational. Many good analogies were used in the book to help a kid visualize the concepts the authors were trying to get across. We had a lot of great conversations about how to use the strategies and why the strategies worked. I've seen my son apply what he learned in the book to his own school work.
Mochammad Hadyan
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great sources to brush up your learning approaches. Inspite this book intended for students, I found the contents is absolutely valid for any ages.

The concepts and explanations easy to follow, and you might surprise that many mentioned tips are already what you know (even you're not realize it).

It's just you got more deep dive about it. It tells you everything you need to know how to learn effectively, in terms you can master anything and keep it for long time memory
Jenn
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-won
I won a copy of this book.

I liked this guide to Learning. Oakley, Sejnowski, and McConville break down how the mind works to help kids and teens understand how to "hack" their brain to get the most bang for their buck. Simple to understand and could be really helpful for the student that may need to change things up from time to time.
Sa6331
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I first heard about the author through The Knowledge Project podcast. This book is targeted towards young adults, and provides an easy to read & follow approach in learning how we humans learn. The book presents some good analogies and provides simple & effective methodologies to improve the ability to learn. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning
  • Understanding How We Learn: A Visual Guide
  • The Resilience Factor: 7 Keys to  Finding Your Inner Strength and Overcoming Life's Hurdles
  • Lập trình quỹ đạo cuộc đời
  • How to Become a Straight-A Student
  • The Thing About the Truth
  • Flow
  • Awaken Your Confidence: 15 People Share Their Journey To Success
  • Three Questions
  • Problem Solving 101: A Simple Book for Smart People
  • Đừng chạy theo số đông
  • Make Time: How to Focus on What Matters Every Day
  • The Science of Rapid Skill Acquisition: Advanced Methods to Learn, Remember, and Master New Skills, Information, and Abilities
  • Rethinking Positive Thinking: Inside the New Science of Motivation
  • Pose Method of Triathlon Techniques: Become the Best Triathlete You Can Be. 3 Sports - 1 Method
  • Loving the Wounded Soul: Alasan dan Tujuan Depresi Hadir di Hidup Manusia
Barbara Oakley, PhD, a 'female Indiana Jones,' is one of the few women to hold a doctorate in systems engineering. She chronicled her adventures on Soviet fishing boats in the Bering Sea in Hair of the Dog: Tales from Aboard a Russian Trawler. She also served as a radio operator in Antarctica and rose from private to captain in the U.S. Army. Now an associate professor of engineering at Oakland Un ...more

News & Interviews

“To be a successful problem solver, focus first. We get stuck in problem solving when we don’t first prepare our brain by focusing on the basics. Don’t just dive into problem solving without studying the explanations first. You need to lay some basic trails on the focused pinball table.” 1 likes
“The Three Key Steps to Powerful Reading Picture walk Read with care Use active recall” 1 likes