Start by marking “Amy Wu and the Perfect Bao” as Want to Read:
Amy Wu and the Perfect Bao

Amy Wu and the Perfect Bao

Meet the funny, fierce, and fearless Amy Wu, who is determined to make a perfect bao bun today. Can she rise to the occasion?

Amy loves to make bao with her family. But it takes skill to make the bao taste and look delicious. And her bao keep coming out all wrong.

Then she has an idea that may give her a second chance…Will Amy ever make the perfect bao?
Published October 1st 2019 by Simon & Schuster/Aladdin

To ask other readers questions about Amy Wu and the Perfect Bao, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amy Wu and the Perfect Bao

Start your review of Amy Wu and the Perfect Bao
Supriya Kelkar
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun book! The illustrations are beautiful and so full of emotion. Kids and adults alike will be able to identify with how it feels when it seems like everyone can do something with ease that you struggle with. Amy's journey is sweet and entertaining and as a bonus there's a bao recipe in the back too!
Ben Truong
Amy Wu and the Perfect Bao is a children's picture book written by Kat Zhang and illustrated by Charlene Chua. It about Amy Wu, a little girl, who wants to make perfect bao, just like the ones her mom, dad, and grandma make.

Zhang's text is simplistic and straightforward. It tells a story about a little girl in persuit of making the perfect bao with her family patiently and willingly to teach her. A bao recipe concludes, as does a revelation that "not-so-perfect bao" taste just as a good as their
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Amy Wu wants to make the perfect bao.

Her bao are too small. Or too big. Or the bao have too much filling. Or not enough. Or they fall apart before she can eat them.

Amy decides to host a bao making event with her family. She plans to make the perfect bao.

But still Amy has troubles.

Until she has a clever idea....

Children will enjoy this glimpse into family life, and they will especially enjoy trying out the recipe for the perfect bao provided in the back of the book.
Amy Layton
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Bright colors and a bold main character make this book a fun problem-solving guide! The problem? Amy just can't make perfect bao. The solution? She practices and practices some more. The new problem? She's not getting any better at it! So, what can she do?

Amy Wu and the Perfect Bao suggests that learning from trial and error is not only okay, but encouraged, and offers the idea that sometimes the best solutions are the ones outside of the box! Even better, everyone is supportive of her ideas,
Francis S. Poesy
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
The story and super cute (and expressive) illustrations (especially the little white kitten character) make this a joy to read. I like how Amy never gives up and figures out on her own how to make the perfect bao. The only drawback to this book was it made me very hungry for some bao but I'm no chef so it may have to wait until Dine Out Friday! The recipe in the back provides some great background on what all is really involved in making bao and will no doubt provide for some great family ...more
Anthony
Amy can do many things, but she can't seem to make the perfect Bao. Try as she might, her bao is never perfect like her Mother's, or Father's, or her Grandmother's. They each give her advice on how to form the perfect bao, but nothing seems to work. Finally Amy comes up with an idea that will help her make the perfect bao.
Caroline
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: story-time
This was an adorable book about family and bao, but most importantly, about how you can't do something perfectly under imperfect circumstances. I really enjoyed this book and would absolutely read it at a story time!
Sara
Dec 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This made me hungry...
Alex  Baugh
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Making the perfect bao like her mother, baba, and grandmother proves to be difficult for Amy, but in the end she learns that it really doesn't have to be perfect to be tasty.
Lisa
I love it love it love it.
Tonja Drecker
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Determination and a love for a delicious food hit a little silliness and tons of family support in this fun read, which is sure to direct interest to the kitchen and foreign foods.

Amy Wu loves Bao. It's one of her most favorite things to eat. Everyone in her family can make them. Perfectly. But she can't. They're either too small or falling apart or too doughy...it's always a mess. But Amy Wu isn't about to give up and creates a Bao making plan. Maybe she'll find the secret to creating a perfect
Becky
First sentence: Amy can do a lot of things. She can brush her teeth. She can tie her shoe. She can even do both at once...sort of.

Premise/plot: Will Amy ever learn how to make bao like her mom, dad, and grandma?! She tries. She tries hard. She tries often. She listens. She imitates. This book chronicles her attempts to make the perfect bao—one that doesn’t fall apart. It very much celebrates family, family life, traditions, food and feasts.

My thoughts: This picture book was lovely and charming.
Erin Buhr
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
This is for the moments in life when every child wishes to do something as well as the big people around them. Really, we all have those moments don't we? Little Amy Wu wants to be able to make traditional bao as perfectly as her family members but it's the one thing she just can't seem to do. Amy is an easy to love character. The text shows her determination and problem solving skills and the illustrations depict her in such a cheerful darling way that you can't help but root for her and her ...more
Lindsay Leslie
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story made me hungry and made me want to make bao. Amy Wu and the Perfect Bao will entice children to get in and learn something new in the kitchen. I loved the themes of practice, practice practice, patience while learning, and problem-solving.
Tasha
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Amy can do a lot of things like brush her teeth and tie her shoes. But the one thing she can’t do is make the perfect bao, a steamed dumpling. So she sets out one day to make the perfect bao. It’s an all-day effort by her entire family. Her father makes the bao dough, and Amy helps him pound the dough and let it rise. Her mother makes the filling, and Amy helps her too. Then everyone sits down at the table to form the bao, including Amy’s grandmother. When things don’t go right for Amy, everyone ...more
Margie
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Food, like stories, connects us. We need it to physically survive but it represents more. Food preparation and delivery is an art form. Culinary schools train the best chefs who work in a vast array of restaurants and private homes. Numerous cookbooks published each year become bestsellers; some, decades old, are classic staples in any collection, public or private. Food videos, shows and networks are highly popular.

For every professional chef, there are thousands more cooks who assemble
Amy
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amy is on a mission to make the perfect bao. Bao’s are her favorite, yummy treat, and while her mom’s, dad’s, and grandma’s baos always come out perfect, Amy’s bao’s still turn out all wrong. Amy tries with all her might. She stuffs them, but they are always too big or too small. Amy pinches them just right, but they still fall apart. Then Amy comes up with a plan to help achieve the perfect bao. Will her plan finally work?

In a darling story of family, perseverance, and tenacity, one little
Abby Johnson
Delightful! Amy loves to eat bao - steamed dumplings - and everyone in her family can make perfect bao... everyone except Amy. Hers always turn out too small or too big or too empty or too full. But today's the day that Amy will make perfect bao... or is it?

This cute and colorful book is a celebration of family traditions as the entire family comes together to cook. It shows a young girl learning from her parents and grandmother and not giving up, even when things are not coming out perfect
Ciera
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was really quite cute! Not only did it explore food and how it pertains to certain cultures, but allowed for a glimpse of a culture through food (bao, of course, in this case). It also showed problem solving and how things that won’t work for one person might require a different solution for someone else, something we could all keep in mind. And, basically most importantly, it has a recipe for bao in the back! Which was perfect because this book definitely made me hungry for some by ...more
Kristi Bernard
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: how-to, multicultural
Amy can do a lot of things all at once. But, when it’s time for her family to make a bao, a delicious pocket filled with meat and spices, she can’t seem to do a very good job. This time it will be different. She helped prepare all of the ingredients with her dad, mom, and grandma. When the bao making began, Amy still couldn’t seem to get the bao in the right size or shape. After much disappointment, she realized that the dough size was not Amy size. What do you think happened next?

This fun read
Lisa
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amy's favorite food is Bao. She could eat it all day every day, but she's finding it's hard to make. Her mom and dad and grandma have a lot of fun making the perfect Bao, but none of Amy's work out - too little, too full, the dough has a hole - she is so disappointed; until she has an idea, and grandma helps her solve the problem. Now Amy's Bao is perfect, too!

Family traditions are not always easy for the youngest to participate in - especially when it includes helping with the cooking. I loved
Becky B
Amy is excited about making bao with her family. She is a little disheartened, though, that Grandma, Mom, and Dad can make perfect bao and hers always have some issue. Can she finally get it right?

I thought this would be more about perfectionism, but instead it turned out to be about problem solving which is also good. This story may very well make you hungry for dumplings, so it'd be great to prepare. Maybe even make your own (there's a recipe in the back of the book). Kids should find the
Aolund
Amy Wu is determined to make the perfect bao--her family members can always manage the feat with ease, but she continually struggles with the task. Through her perseverance and problem-solving, Amy succeeds and the whole family enjoys eating their delicious bao together. This book was spot on, with the right touches of humor, clear explanations and plot points, and a warm depiction of a loving, multi-generational family enjoying food and making together. The illustrations by Charlene Chua are ...more
Destinee Sutton
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this! Reminded me of an old favorite, Dumpling Soup, that we like to read around New Year's Eve.

My family frequents a restaurant where you can watch through a window as the cooks make xiaolongbao. My daughter somehow thinks it looks easy (a compliment to the cooks I suppose), so someday we'll have to try to make it ourselves and she can see how challenging it actually is. There's a great video on the author's website showing how bao are made from start to finish.
Katie
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime, childrens
This story will make you hungry! Amy's family makes Bao, which Amy loves. But while all the adults can make them perfectly, Amy cannot. But she keeps trying, and the adults keep offering help. Then she realizes the amount of dough she is working with is meant for an adult and is able to make perfect bau once she has a smaller amount of dough.
A great story to share, with themes of food, cooking together, perseverance, and maybe a new food. There is a recipe in the back for bau, which looks
Jocelin
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
A fantastic book! I loved the little heroine in the book Amy Wu! She was a determined little girl trying to make the perfect bao. She never gave up, when it looked like there was no way she could make the perfect bao like her parents and grandmother she made a way. This book teaches about so many things; determination, different cultures, the positive influence of family. I highly recommend this book. It does a have a recipe in the back for bao.
Amy Wu wants to make the perfect bao. Her family all works on making the bao together. Her dad, mom, and grandma can all make perfect bao. Amy persists through but is about to give up when she suddenly has a perfect idea!

A great book to talk about persistence and patience, but also innovation and problem-solving!

I like at the end that she takes them to share at school and we see kids from many different ethnicities at the table. Amy gets to do a little culture sharing!
Stephanie Ward
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: newin19, kidlit
This is a fun and food-filled picture book about a little girl's attempts to make a bao as good as her family does. With perseverance and practice, but above all a creative, kid-friendly solution, Amy Wu accomplishes her task and accepts that things don't always have to be perfect. Modern, colorful illustrations lend to hilarious scenes throughout the book. My favorite part of this book may just be the yummy recipe at the end!
Rebecca Ann
Warning: Do not read this book without delicious Bao nearby (perfect or not). I was so hungry in the 3 minutes it took to read this story. The illustrations are bright and beautiful, and the instructions on making bao were surprisingly detailed without being dry. The length makes me think this would be best for Kindergarten but many preschoolers would also enjoy it for a one on one read. you could definitely either read it and then make bao or read it and make pretend bao with play dough.
Adrienne
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amy Wu's determination should resonate with all children frustrated with not getting something right the first time. And empowering that she thought of the solution to her problem herself! Fun and bright illustrations perfectly compliment the text in this gorgeously designed debut book by Kat Zhang and illustrator Charlene Chua.
« previous 1 3 next »

• I Want a Dog
  • Reading Beauty
  • Sulwe
  • When Aidan Became A Brother
*Please do not message me through Goodreads! Instead, email me at katzhang3 AT gmail DOT com. I don't get on Goodreads often to check messages! Thank you :) *

Kat Zhang spent most of her childhood tramping through a world weaved from her favorite stories and games. When she and her best friend weren't riding magic horses or talking to trees, they were writing adaptations of plays for their stuffed