Start by marking “The Price Guide to the Occult” as Want to Read:
The Price Guide to the Occult

The Price Guide to the Occult

From the author of The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender comes a haunting maelstrom of magic and murder in the lush, moody Pacific Northwest.

When Rona Blackburn landed on Anathema Island more than a century ago, her otherworldly skills might have benefited friendlier neighbors. Guilt and fear instead led the islands original eight settlers to burn the witch out
Published March 13th 2018 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about The Price Guide to the Occult, please sign up.
Dark Chocolate I believe it is set up to have the opportunity to make a sequel, however i have the feeling this will not happen unless there is some bigger interest…moreI believe it is set up to have the opportunity to make a sequel, however i have the feeling this will not happen unless there is some bigger interest in the first book. That's why it's a standalone for now.

However, I agree it will be very evil with an ending like this to have no sequel! :D(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Mike No, you didn't miss him earlier in the book. I think that's the set-up for the next novel if the author chooses to make it into a series. My…moreNo, you didn't miss him earlier in the book. I think that's the set-up for the next novel if the author chooses to make it into a series. My impression was that he's probably a witch-hunter of some sort, newly created by the Government to "take care" of the witch "problem". From what it looks like, there's gonna be a literal witch-hunt in the next book, where maybe our heroine steps up to defend witch-kind? That's my hope at least, from what the epilogue showed.(less)
The Cruel Prince by Holly BlackWar Storm by Victoria AveyardQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareA Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa TahirObsidio by Amie Kaufman
YA Novels of 2018
1,050 books — 5,472 voters
The Great Alone by Kristin HannahCirce by Madeline MillerEducated by Tara WestoverThe Cruel Prince by Holly BlackThe Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn
Best Books of 2018
1,317 books — 2,483 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Price Guide to the Occult
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
hmmm... not sure what to think of this one yet. I read it for a video project. Will try to remember to come and edit this and share my thoughts once I know how exactly I feel, but to be honest this book was kind of a mess.
Emily May
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
On the evening of Halloween, Nor marched down Meandering Lane after her shift at the Witching Hour.

A few years ago, a read a very strange and very beautiful book aptly-named The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender. It took me completely by surprise and stole my heart with its gorgeous writing, memorable characters, and rich atmosphere that made everything so damn emotional even when nothing much was happening. I have long awaited another book by the author but - and I feel so sad
High Lady of The Night Court
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
It took me longer than I expected to finish this book but I had a great time reading it. I can't explain why but I really enjoyed this book and the story seemed like a short story or a myth but it was written well. The history of witches is very helpfully given in the prologue which sets a nice basis for the story to build on. The cover of this book is beautiful and while reading the book the cover in all of its engaging glory seems to have the same feel the book does.

In this book we follow Nor
Nat
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, magical-realism
fmt1nxzgt0bf2
Was she strong enough to carry all these Burdens on her own?
Or would they swallow her whole?

I knew this book was the one I'd been looking for when I flipped to the last page of the prologue and saw a glimpse of a name I thought to be "Noa," which was exactly what I was searching for the day earlier when on the look-out for fictional characters with the name Noah, for some inexplicable reason. (I never did find anything other than the biblical story, so please let me know if you have any solid
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
May 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: i-own, 2018-books
Grinning at her from behind the glass was the man with the Chesire-cat smile.

Oh, how I wanted to love this book. (too bad) But unfortunately, it didn't work out. (it really fucking didn't) I expected too much. (hmmm) And got too little in return. (usually) Honestly, the book itself is beautiful-- all red and green with a design etched into the cover.

A false and deceptive look to pull you in and become trapped in its spell.

But haha, nice try book, nice try.
Its spell is pretty fucking weak,
Kai
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, underrated, 2018
Any decent human being, witch or otherwise, had the capacity to do good in this world. It's merely a case of whether one chooses to do so.

Yes, I know, this was not exactly on the same level as The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender but you guys, an average rating of 3.41? That's just unfair.

The Price Guide to the Occult is a magnificent, whimsical and bloody tale set on a wondrous island with a long history. A history that includes witches and witch-hunts and people who regret ever
Emer (A Little Haze)
Happy book birthday to this great little read.

Like many others I read Leslye Walton's stunning debut novel, 'The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender' and fell entirely in love with it. It was a full five stars from me and is one of my all time favourite books having read it on multiple occasions. So needless to say I was very eager to read her next book and luckily enough I was granted an eARC on NetGalley. Happy days!!!

And I am delighted I read it as I found the storyline to be
✨Brithanie Faith✨
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
4/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Exceeds Expectations 💖

⚠ Trigger warning: Self harm ⚠

description

Favorite Quotes:

"The link between the Blackburn daughters and the island was so strong Nor often imagined that the veins that ran underneath her skin and the tree roots that ran under her feet were one and the same."

"Any decent human being, witch or otherwise, has the capacity to do good in this world. It's merely a case of whether one chooses to do so."

"Courage, once found, should always be encouraged to stay."

Pros:

Whispering Stories
Book Reviewed by Stacey on www.whisperingstories.com

Nor lives on a small island called Anathema. She is a direct descendant of Rona Blackburn who lived on the island over a century ago and who was attacked by the other settlers on the island for being a witch. Rona cursed the settlers but in doing so she cursed her own family too.

Now back in the present day, Nor knows all about the curse. She knows only too well via her own mother what the curse can do. She hasnt seen her mother in many years
Lotte
Leslye Waltons debut novel, The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender, is one of my favourite books of all time its wonderfully magical weirdness took me completely by surprise when I read it a couple of years ago.
This, however, was sadly entirely average and read like any other YA paranormal romance about witches. I think Emily May said it best in her review: it felt like Leslye Walton had a cool idea for an intergenerational story about witches, and then an editing team swept in and
Sara
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Nor is the latest in a long line of Blackburn women who are cursed. Doomed to have a whirlwind affair with one of the descendants of the original settlers of Anathema Island, only for it to end in heartache and loss. Nor wants none of this. She's happy to hang out with her friends, remain inconspicuous and hopefully bypass the curse altogether. But fate may have other ideas.

This is well written, with some beautiful prose, but the
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Had some very beautiful writing, unique atmosphere, and I loved where it took place (the Pacific Northwest). It had a lot of things I enjoyed, but some of the plot just didn't work for me. Still think a lot of people will like it though! Also, trigger warning for self harm.
☆★Tinja★✮ A Court of Pizza and Laziness
So is there going to be a second book?
I mean, there has to be. That ending..

As for the book, I liked it. I didn't really like the turn it took but oh well..
Witches and family curses = Tinja has to read it.
Acqua

If youre a romantic person and love slow-paced paranormal stories, you need to read this book. Im not, but I have to say that this book surprised me in many ways, despite being flawed and not exactly my thing.
Also, its about witches, and that aspect was great.

I havent read a book as atmospheric since Spellbook of the Lost and Found by Moïra Fowley-Doyle. The Price Guide to the Occult is set in the Pacific Northwest, on a rainy island with its own history and secrets. I loved the
Eilonwy
2-1/2 stars, rounded down
Trigger Warning: Self-harm
Also, this review is slightly spoilery, but trust me, you probably won't remember anything I say here because this review is as messy as this book

This book started out so promisingly. Nor Blackburn is a witch in a family of witches, the eighth generation in a line of daughters born on Anathema Island in the Pacific Northwest. Touches of the family "Burdens" -- each daughter's magical gift -- circle enticingly through the story and the writing,
Julie Zantopoulos
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, read-in-2018
Video Review is linked here.

Leslye's Strange and Beautiful Sorrows book was beautiful and haunting, dark but hopeful, and oh so lovely. I had such high hopes for this novel. I mean, Greek ancestral witches throughout generations? Yes, please! An island with plant and animal life that go hostile and people start acting strange? I'm in.

Unfortunately, the writing in this book was different, and not in a good way. This didn't feel like a follow up to her debut Ava Lavender novel, this felt like a
Dannii Elle
This gave me all of the eerie vibes, all of the exquisite writing, all of the angsty character, and all of the atmospheric setting that I was anticipating and yet, somehow, I still wanted more.

For such a short book, and with such a sinister premise, this delivered little in the way of plot. I felt there was much more to be explored and I would have appreciated a larger focus dedicated to the witchcraft elements, with an explanation and exploration of their use. Protagonist, Nor, displayed some
Karima chermiti
Full review posted

Trigger warning: (view spoiler)

There was something coming, something to fear.

The disappointment is so real with this one I cant deal. Before picking this book, it never even occurred to me that I wont like it and even when I was reading it and I wasnt getting the magic I expected I kept telling myself that it will get better, It didnt. I think I loved her debut book so much that I couldnt really accept the fact
explorerofbooks
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Trigger warning: self-harm and abuse

With YA nowadays, its very hard to come up with something unique and surprising. I havent read Waltons debut novel yet, but I really think Walton evoked that effect of bewilderment here. I hadnt heard about The Price Guide to the Occult before, but the cover is so gorgeous I couldnt put it down in the bookstore. The shady glimpses of an eerie forest dont even do the atmosphere justice enough.

For centuries, the Blackburns have been attached to Anathema
Nicole Wang
Mar 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
After absolutely adoring The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender, I was ready to fall in love with anything Leslye Walton wrote. That is to say, I couldn't request The Price Guide to the Occult fast enough when I realized who the author was.

Yet, though the introduction is a beautiful start to a story filled with potential, the story went downhill form there. The writing is as gorgeous as I had expected it to be, narrated in an almost whimsical quality that is Walton's trademark. The
Figgy
Ohhhh, this is so pretty in person! And the pages are edged in red!

RTC

Gorgeous presentation and some gorgeous wording. Overall not what I expected, and it had elements that had been done before, but other elements still that were definitely intriguing.

In the end, it feels as though this is maybe not the end of the story, and I would definitely read more from this universe, but it stands alone perfectly fine as well.

Nothing... earth shattering, with the exception of the look at self-harm and
Misty
The amount of times I like a strange book, only to come to Goodreads and learn that everyone else finds it slow... I could buy a goddamn pony if you gave me a dollar for each time. 😂

Anyway, I'll be reviewing this soon.

REVIEW:

I cannot tell you how many times I've read and fallen in love with a book that I found to be nicely plotted and paced and plenty compelling, only to pop over to Goodreads and find that people are describing it as slow. . . So add this to the list of books I champion under
Judith
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-shelf, 2018
This was just so beautiful and wonderful and enchanting and love the fact that theres helplines for self-harm in the back // 4,5 stars ...more
Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.)

I LOVED IT, has nurtured my love for witches even more, it's such a beautifully atmospheric book, I feel that it was exactly what I needed. Deal with sensitive issues such as self-harm and abuse, so I want to warn you about that.

description

4.5/5 Stars

You can find this one and more of my reviews on my blog A Book. A Thought.

The story follows Nor Blackburn, she's the descendant of Rona Blackburn who was, long time ago, a very powerful witch who came to the island of Anathema with the hope of creating a
Cori Reed
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Trigger warning: CUTTING/SELF HARM
Had I read this book at a time in my life where I was in a darker place it would have been very bad. There is A LOT of cutting and self harm on the page. Luckily, I had a good friend warn me and I felt good enough about my mental state, but be warned! Even while feeling quite well this book threw me. It's pretty intense.

Also, I liked it, but not a lot. It's witchy and has a cool setting, but I think Leslye Walton had big shoes to fill following up Ava Lavender
Patricija - ReadOff
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
In a sentence; great premise, bad execution. It had potential, but I was so bored. The main character is really two demensional and forgetful. The best thing was her best friend, all witty with character. The plot was really slow.
Sarah Marie
The Price Guide to the Occult by Leslye Walton

The Blackburn women have lived on Anathema Island for nine generations and are plagued by a curse. Rona Blackburn was scorned and left abandoned by a lover who felt guilt over having affair. To assuage his guilt, he decided to take it out on

Tana △⃒⃘ ⚯͛ Cozyreadings
Mar 26, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
DNF at 25(ish)%

I paused this almost a year ago, and honestly just forgot I had ever started this one. I haven't thought about it in a long time, and need to be honest with myself: I will not finish this book in the near future.

I wasn't invested in the story, the main character's name (Nor) was repeated so many times that it became annoying for me.

Sarry.
Vicky Again
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing

The Blackburn women are cursed after the extraordinary witch Rona Blackburn landed on Anathema Island centuries ago and was shunned by the eight "original" settlers. Her ancestors have been doomed to carry on a three day romance that results in pregnancy with one of the Original Eight, and their powers have also been diluted from the curse.

Nor Blackburn just wants a quiet unremarkable life with her unexceptional powers and non-existent love life. She hopes, as the ninth, that she'll be
Bookread2day
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My review on my website www.bookread2day.wordpress.com
Its very rare that I get the opportunity to read a story about a witch. So this was my time to sit back relax and tune into this remarkable imaginary story. The front and back cover is little creepy with those hands, but absolutely gorgeous. Magic and spells had me transfixed. Rona miraculously sealed wounds for Sebastian Farce, with magical stitching and herbs. But unable to sleep at night, Sebastians mind began to wander. If Rona had the

• The Wicked Deep
  • Undead Girl Gang
  • Sawkill Girls
  • City of Ghosts (Cassidy Blake, #1)
  • Truly Devious (Truly Devious, #1)
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • Toil & Trouble: 15 Tales of Women & Witchcraft
  • The Devouring Gray (The Devouring Gray, #1)
  • The Boneless Mercies
  • In an Absent Dream (Wayward Children, #4)
  • Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children, #5)
  • Sadie
  • The Vanishing Stair (Truly Devious, #2)
  • The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3)
  • Beneath the Sugar Sky (Wayward Children, #3)
  • Wilder Girls
  • Neverworld Wake
  • The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein
Leslye Walton was born in the Pacific Northwest. Perhaps because of this, Leslye has developed a strange kinship with the daffodil--she too can only achieve beauty after a long, cold sulk in the rain. Her debut novel, THE STRANGE AND BEAUTIFUL SORROWS OF AVA LAVENDER, was inspired by a particularly long sulk in a particularly cold rainstorm spent pondering the logic, or rather, lack thereof, in ...more