Start by marking “Sleep No More: Six Murderous Tales” as Want to Read:
Sleep No More: Six Murderous Tales

Sleep No More: Six Murderous Tales

No one gets inside the head of the murderer--or makes it a more thrilling read--than the late, great P. D. James. Fast on the heels of her latest best seller: a new, fiendishly entertaining gathering of previously uncollected stories, from the author of Death Comes to Pemberley and The Private Patient.

It's not always a question of "whodunit?" Sometimes there's more mystery in the
Audio CD
Published November 14th 2017 by Random House Audio Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Sleep No More, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleep No More

Start your review of Sleep No More: Six Murderous Tales
Idarah
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
fullsizeoutput_865

Despite the title, I found these stories a delight to read before bed. At the end of each story, I couldn't help but be galled at the twists or miscarriages of justice. They were perfect. Lately, mysteries that focus on what drives an ordinary person to murder, have been of great interest to me. That's what all of these stories, with the exception of one, had in common. It wasn't so much about who the murder(s) was, as to why. In reading this collection, I realize how awesome short story colle
Dannii Elle
Actual rating 4.5/5 stars.

The Yo-Yo - 4/5 stars - This produced less of the chills and thrills I was anticipating from this collection but was marvelous, all the same. James really evoked a sense of setting, in only 20 pages, and left the reader with many questions over the morality of the actions reminisced. Despite not thrilling in the slightest, it was a sublimely-crafted character study.

The Victim - 4/5 stars - This was such an intriguing story. It started with a jilt
Umut Reviews
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice read for October, when I like to read more spooky/crime novels. There are many stories with murder content. I liked most of them. Even in a short story, there were twists and surprises. I loved the writing, it was my first PD James book. I'll definitely read more from her.

Definitely recommended for little murder stories that will entertain you.

Ova - Excuse My Reading
Really good collection of short stories, especially loved the first one and the last one, they were phenomenal! A few others were slower for my liking, hence not a 5 but 4 stars.
L.A. Starks
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This collection of short stories is a bit odd for the holidays, but P.D. James' writing, and the twists in several of the six, are well worth reading.
Blair
A high-quality collection of short crime stories – I really liked all six; in fact it's hard to pick a favourite. There's something comforting and familiar about them, but they're also laced with humour and just a little bit of cynicism.

The Yo-Yo (2006)
Now in his seventies, the narrator comes across a yo-yo among some old personal papers. What connects this innocuous object with a crime he witnessed at the age of thirteen? The rest of the story tells us, with plenty of cosy, quintessenti/>The
Alice Lippart
Suspenseful and very enjoyable.
Joanna Park
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I haven’t read an awful lot of short stories but when i was given the opportunity to review PD James’s new book I jumped at the chance.

Sleep No More is a collection of 6 short stories each involving a murder and each describing the deviousness of the characters as they plot out the perfect murder. Some of the methods used and the planning of the murder is extraordinarily clever and was a bit of an eye opener to read about.

The stories included a large variety of characters
Faith
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, overdrive
I'm not a big fan of short stories but each of these had a delicious and surprising edge to it and I really liked them.
Tanja Berg
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And there! I finished my reading challenge, which was 120 books also this year. I don't think I've finished so late any previous year.

I've been in Vienna since last Wednesday. I thought vacation would mean plenty of reading time, but no! All my routines gone, the New York Times for breakfast reading instead of a book.

I picked this up at the airport. I was distressed to realize from the jacket that P.D James passed away in 2014, something I had missed. I thought I bought "the mistlet
Fiona MacDonald
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
I am beyond sad that there are only two books of P.D. James's short stories. I have adored both of them. This one is not so 'christmassy' as 'The Mistletoe Murder' (although there is a murder set on Christmas Eve) but still perfectly written. Each story is not a page too long, or short, each ends at precisely the correct time. Such good writing, I really enjoyed the book overall. And despite it being a bit much sometimes to read short story after short story, I didn't have a problem with these o ...more
Diane Barnes
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A perfect little book of "six murderous tales", as it is so aptly sub-titled. Six perfectly executed murders, every detail seen to, each murderer sympathized with, each victim deserving their fate. Every one of these stories had a surprising little twist at the end, making me gasp with the genius of P.D. James. Turns out contemplating murder and revenge is a great way to spend New Years Day.
Ammar
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This collection of short stories by the master of crime P. D. James is very very good. The crimes are simple sometimes, yet written in the most beautiful way. Stories that take place during different decades .. and takes you all over England and sometimes abroad.

Paul
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thrillers
Sleep No More – A Delightful Collection of Short Stories

This collection of short stories from the late PD James, just reminds us how much she was loved and will be missed. She delivers in each short story something other authors fail to deliver in a full-scale novel. All these short murder mystery stories are pithy, get to the crux of the matter and each one is engrossing.

Each of these stories are a standalone story, all written in beautiful prose, full of twists, most of
Fictionophile
Finding work by a late author that you have revered is rare. Therefore you can imagine my excitement to see that another collection of stories by the inimitable P.D. James has been published. Last year I read and enjoyed "Mistletoe Murders: and other stories", this year it is "Sleep no more". And yes, there IS a murder in all six stories.

The book contains six excellently executed short stories, two of which have a Christmas theme.

"The Yo-Yo"
An elderly man finds a red yo-yo in a box of/>"The
Marjorie
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
There was a reason P.D. James was the “Queen of Crime”. She knew how to capture her readers. I’ve read all of her work and was so pleased to see these new-to-me six stories being published. They were such a very special treat!

I think “The Girl Who Loved Graveyards” was my favorite, if I had to pick a favorite as I loved each of them. This was the most chilling tale. A story of a young girl who fell in love with a graveyard and who couldn’t remember the first ten years of her life.

Wh
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: halloween-time
4.5 stars!

I loved this! While it was 100% a cover / seasonal-instagrammable buy (the gold foil is gorgeous), I enjoyed the stories so much! I usually dont *get* short stories... I don't find them enjoyable, and I HATE when they end without resolution. PD James wrote wonderfully, old fashioned vignettes that were perfect for a stormy autumn night... plus all had satisfactory ends. Job well done.
Quirkyreader
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a good set of short stories. It gives you small bites of what type of stories could have come from James’s pen if she wrote more non Dalgliesh stories.

And to think if she and her friend Ruth Rendell had gotten together to write a story collection. It would have been out of this world.

If you are interested in James’s writing, but still have yet to read some. This book is a good starting point.
Lotte
4.25/5.
I think the subtitle "murderous tales" describes this collection really accurately. Even though P.D. James’s writing is often linked to Agatha Christie’s, the stories in this collection are not detective stories or murder mysteries in the most traditional sense. Instead, they more or less read like dark, but humorous observations of the human race, repeatedly questioning what humans are willing to lie and what they're willing to kill for. (Don't worry though, there's always a satisfying resol
Charlotte Smith
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good short stories book from p.d James. Really enjoyed these ones.
Melanie (Mel's Bookland Adventures)
It has been the "Tale of the two short story collections" this week and I cannot help comparing EM Benson's Ghost Stories to this offering by PD James. It's fair to say that I am often disappointed by short story collections, because quite often they are just short. And I find the experience unsatisfying and often quite boring.

Enter: PD James. Now, I have been a dedicated fan of hers for 15 years. I read all her Dagliesh novels and I am sad that there will never be another one. Yet, I don't thi
Joanna ♡
story number 4: The Girl Who Loved Graveyards was AMAZING but the rest of the book didn't do much for me..
Yasmine
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's the first time I ever read anything by P.D. James and it certainly won't be the last - I really liked reading those crime short stories, all being very different and yet all having this kind of "cosy" atmosphere, however dark they may be.

Perfect read for cosy autumn days!
Abby Slater- Fairbrother
Six murderous tales from the queen of crime P.D. James
1 – The Yoyo:
The short story summarises an elderly lady recalling the fateful night of 23rd December 1936 and the crime that marked her teens.

2- The Victim:
The Victim, details the story of class hierarchy, love and the pain of divorce. With a central character of, the elusive Princess Llsa Bowman…..

3- The Murder Of Santa Claus:
Charles Mickledore retells the murderous Christmas of 1939
Rachel
Oct 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved P D James’ writing style in this short story collection and it has made me really want to pick up one of her full-length books. Unfortunately for me the short stories, as cleverly crafted as they were, all started to blend into one, as they were largely told with similar voices and perspectives, with unlikeable victims. That said, The Murder of Santa Claus was a particular highlight for me and you can see a unique blend of irony and dark humour coming through in all the stories.
Biblio Files (takingadayoff)
As a non-fan of P.D. James, I approached the collection without great expectations. (I read the two Cordelia Grey novels but never got hooked on Dalgliesh). Well, they were a lot of fun, very traditional and well constructed. There are only six short stories so this is more of a stocking stuffer than a big collection. I'm glad I took a chance on this one.
Ann
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
6 great short stories that are a perfect length for a busy reader. Not too gruesome and very entertaining for readers of all ages who enjoy avoid murder mystery. For the most part you don't feel too sorry for the victims. P.D.James has numerous full length novels that are enjoyable reads also.
tysephine
More like 3.5 stars, I think.

PD James was a master at crime and suspense, and these stories are amazing little glimpses into her talent. Perfect for people who like Agatha Christie.
Uttara Srinivasan
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That I had never read P D James till this book is a shame and yet what is better than discovering brilliance at a time when one can most appreciate it.

What stumps me even more (about myself) is why I never progressed from the details of whodunnits and howdunnits to the details of whydunnits

Ms James’ ability to create tales out of motivations and misplaced memories for the most part is thrilling. While there are echoes of other tales - intentional inspirations perhaps - li
nicky
3 / 5 stars

Solid detective stories but not overly surprising or amazing.
I enjoyed the little tricks and my favourite stories were the one's with strange characters to them - The Girl Who Loved Graveyards and A Very Desirable Residence. I must say that I expected a bit more, a bit more mystery, a bit more cruelty... But they were interesting stories on the whole. Probably more suited for a rainy day, sitting in an armchair in front of the fire ... Cozy muder mysteries.

• Crimson Snow: Winter Mysteries
  • OxCrimes: 27 Killer Stories from the Cream of Crimewriters
  • Tragedy at Law (Francis Pettigrew, #1)
  • The Last Word and Other Stories
  • The Usual Santas: A Soho Crime Holiday Anthology
  • Beware of the Trains (Gervase Fen, #9)
  • The Stories of Jane Gardam
  • Night-Gaunts and Other Tales of Suspense
  • Damn Near Dead: An Anthology of Geezer Noir
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2018
  • Christmas Stalkings
  • Aerogrammes: and Other Stories
  • The Lake District Murder (Superintendent Meredith, #1)
  • Bibliomysteries: Stories of Crime in the World of Books and Bookstores
  • Morse's Greatest Mystery and Other Stories
  • John Thorndyke's Cases (Dr. Thorndyke Mysteries #2)
  • Death in the Garden
  • Fatal Legacy (DCI Andrew Fenwick, #2)
P. D. James, byname of Phyllis Dorothy James White, Baroness James of Holland Park, (born August 3, 1920, Oxford, Oxfordshire, England—died November 27, 2014, Oxford), British mystery novelist best known for her fictional detective Adam Dalgliesh of Scotland Yard.

The daughter of a middle-grade civil servant, James grew up in the university town of Cambridge. Her formal education, howev
“A successful murder depends on knowing your victim,” 1 likes
“And with that touch the memories came flooding back. The verb is trite but accurate; they came like a full tide, sweeping me back to the same day sixty years ago, December 23rd 1936, the day of the murder.” 0 likes