Start by marking “Wintersmith (Discworld, #35; Tiffany Aching, #3)” as Want to Read:
Wintersmith (Discworld, #35; Tiffany Aching, #3)

Wintersmith

(Discworld #35)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  44,854 ratings  ·  1,509 reviews

Tiffany Aching is a trainee witch — now working for the seriously scary Miss Treason. But when Tiffany witnesses the Dark Dance — the crossover from summer to winter — she does what no one has ever done before and leaps into the dance. Into the oldest story there ever is. And draws the attention of the Wintersmith himself.

As Tiffany-shaped snowflakes hammer down on the lan

Published October 1st 2006 by HarperTempest (first published September 21st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Wintersmith, please sign up.
Ruth Fanshaw You can read the Discworld books in any order. However, there are several different threads/sequences of stories, each featuring a separate group of…moreYou can read the Discworld books in any order. However, there are several different threads/sequences of stories, each featuring a separate group of characters, and most people like to follow each sequence through in order. (A character from one thread may also make a cameo appearance in another thread, which is quite fun.)

The Tiffany Aching sequence actually also features characters from the Lancre Coven sequence, principally the ever awesome Granny Weatherwax, though Tiffany is the central character in these books.

Wintersmith is the third Tiffany Aching book. The first is "The Wee Free Men", so you might be better starting there. The first Granny Weatherwax book is "Equal Rites".

All that said - if you just want to read this one book, well dive right in! :) Pratchett was a good enough writer to give you the info you need to not feel disorientated. :) I'm confident that you'll be left wanting to read more Discworld books, wherever you start. :)

Hope this is helpful. :)(less)
Cassandra Well, for is kinda misleading. It's certainly a book where the main character is 13, and kids around that age would definitely love it. But adults…moreWell, for is kinda misleading. It's certainly a book where the main character is 13, and kids around that age would definitely love it. But adults also love it. I think that primarily, Pratchett wrote for adults but also for children of all ages. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I would start someone on Discworld from age 10-100, but kids 7-10 would enjoy Tiffany's earlier books (and the feegles) too.(less)

Nicholas Karpuk
Jul 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young adults, Pratchett fans, fantasy readers, you
I physically twitch in the presence of cheap irony. You know the sort of lazy humor, like saying it's weird that a cop hates donuts, or acting surprised that a jock is smart. The sort of glib, lazy attempts at humor and cleverness that usually make it on to bumper stickers just makes me cringe. It's the same school of humor as people who put, "My other car is a broomstick" on their bumpers.

When Terry Pratchett started the witch series in the Discworld universe I considered that as close as the w
Tiffany Aching is nearly thirteen years old and enduring her toughest apprenticeship yet. Miss Treason lives in a lonely cottage on the forested mountainside; she’s blind and deaf and 113 years old, and “borrows” the eyes and ears of the creatures around her to see and hear better than those who rely on their own senses. She decorates her house with gruesome, stereotypical witch memorabilia to intimidate her visitors. Most girls don’t last a day serving Miss Treason. Tiffany has been there over ...more
Lyn
Apr 02, 2017 rated it liked it
A very original Discworld story, this one the third in the Tiffany Aching sub-series.

First published in 2006 and the 35th in the Discworld bibliography, Terry Pratchett describes Tiffany as a young witch still in training but coming into herself and setting her sights on the kind of witch she will be (and not always in serviceable black.) As in others in this sub-series, the juxtaposition between Tiffany and the other witches (particularly Granny Weatherwax) makes this fun. Old Miss Treason (who
Kalin
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
13 March 2015:

To one of my dads in spirit:

We remember you.

And then one day a traveling teacher (...) talked about how some wizards had once, using very skillful magic, worked out exactly what a human being was made of. It was mostly water, but there were iron and brimstone and soot and a pinch of just about everything else, even a tiny amount of gold, but all cooked up together somehow.

It made as much sense to Tiffany as anything else did. But she was certain of this: If you took all that stuff
Res
May 19, 2007 rated it liked it
The third book involving Tiffany Aching and the Nac Mac Feegles -- the one where Tiffany dances with the Wintersmith and gets herself into the middle of the ancient romance of summer and winter.

I love the witches, and I love the Feegles, and I love Tiffany, and it's always a pleasure to spend time with them. And yay for Roland growing up. And I loved the subplot involving Miss Treason and the slight improvement in Annagramma.

Having said that, I had serious problems with this book.

The most criti
Наталия Янева
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Чудно как на човек му е най-трудно да опише нещата, които са го впечатлили най-много. Като че думите не са точни и не достатъчно силни да предадат усещането. Ако ви попитат защо обичате някого, отговорът ще удовлетвори ли вас самите? Не звучи ли слабо, твърде традиционно? В никакъв случай не описва защо всъщност обичате, няма думи за това.

Понякога се питам как така някой писател сякаш надниква в душата ти, изсмуква всичкото ти внимание и то остава негово. В случая със сигурност не е темата – тя
Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my LOCUS Y-A list.

I think I’ll always have a soft-spot for imaginative young-adult speculative fiction and as the good people at Locus did such a grand job with picking their Sci-Fi winners, I’ll trust them to single out some special y-a books too.

I remember r
Joey Woolfardis
First read: 13th June, 2013. 3 stars.
Second read: 30th July, 2018. 3 stars.

Tiffany's third outing in the Discworld series sees her a couple of years older and learning her witchcraft from another old witch, this time one who appears to be a bit more "witch-y" than any of the others. She wears black, has a predominantly black house full of cobwebs and strikes fear in to the hearts of those she helps.

Whilst Tiffany may be older, she's also now a teenager, which brings with it all sorts of complica
YouKneeK
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wintersmith is the third book in the Tiffany Aching subseries of Discworld. In this book, Tiffany has made a mistake that has put not only herself but also everybody she knows, and a whole bunch of people she doesn’t know, in danger.

There really isn’t too much I can say about this book that I haven’t already said about the previous two. I’m still really enjoying the series, and I still really like the characters in it. In this book, two of my favorite characters from previous books got a decent
Nicole
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Another case of feeling whatever I could write in praise of this would be insufficient, so I'll just be brief in my Pratchett-worship.
This is yet another fantastic Tiffany adventure, deceptively simple in some ways, very complicated and profound in others. The Wintersmith is both frightening and something to feel a bit sorry for. What it really takes to be a witch is the same thing it takes to be a responsible human being of any type--it's just the various embellishments that change people's pe
Charity
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pratchett is a wordsmith. He creates a divine world into which he spins his stories... stories of magic, where seasons have personalities and can become ... almost human. This is the case of the Wintersmith, when young witch Tiffany Aching leaps into the midst of the winter dance and takes the place of Summer. Wintersmith is captivated by her and wants to become human so as to be with her. He starts courting her with wintery magic, including millions of little Tiffany snowflakes. But as Granny W ...more
Len Evans Jr
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
What more can one say when your reviewing a book written by a master at the height of his craft? First off I have to say that I have yet to read a Discworld novel that I did not adore. Terry Pratchett was a treasure and has allowed me so so many hours of pleasure, laughing my way through book after book. I have read quite a few of his books more than once and enjoyed them each and ever time. I only have a few left that I have not read and have sorta put off reading all of them just because once ...more
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
Published: 27/09/2007
Author: Terry Pratchett
Recommended for: fans of fantasy novels

This is another amazing book in the Discworld series (number 35), in this book we meet the character Tiffany Aching. She is a really wonderful, likeable and funny character who adds a great amount of fun to the novel. In this book we go on the adventure with her when the spirit of winter (the wintersmith) falls in love with her! If she doesnt figure out a way to deal with him there will never be spring again, howe
Jane Lebak
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third book in the Tiffany Aching stories is better than the second and remedies the gaps present in the first book, although I think 1 and 3 are probably about tied in terms of craft and execution.

My BIG gripe with this book is the setup. There was no reason for Miss Treason not to tell Tiffany what the dance was at the start. Tiffany reacted by instinct to a situation for which she was unprepared, and then she spent the rest of the book accepting personal responsibility for the havoc that r
Shovelmonkey1
I read this a long time ago, but not as long ago as I read all the preceding Pratchetts. Yes. I love all things Pratchett (mostly) and have accumulated an extensive Pratchett archive since about the age of thirteen. Sadly most of these books have been tucked away in my parents attic for the last twelve years but the wonder of encountering the Discworld has never been forgotten.

I've read all of the Tiffany Aching series, including the Wee Free Men. Thinking back now, I can't really remember a lo
Denise
The wee Big Hag and feagles!
Linda (Miday) Smik
Wintersmith is the third tale in the story of Tiffany Aching who found, at the age of 9, that she had inherited her grandmother’s legacy as a witch. Tiffany is now almost 13 and it is time for her to learn how to use her special abilities in the world as she finds herself in the house of Miss Treason who will guide her in her lessons. Oh, waily, waily, waily! Tiffany has attracted the attention of the spirit of winter himself and soon finds her likeness being etched in everything from the frost ...more
La La
This is my favorite title of the four Pratchett's I have read! Now if anyone asks me where to start reading the series, I will say with the Tiffany Aching arc. This is very YA readership friendly, too. I buddy read this with Annemieke from A DANCE WITH BOOKS, and we are already planning on buddy reading I Shall Wear Midnight next month. We have to get our Tiffany fix!
Christopher
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Moira Russell
I'm trying to write reviews again, instead of just ratings and status updates -- my problem is I always want to write The Exhaustive Review, and so wind up writing none. UH WHOOPS. I figure I'll start small with this book.

I had real difficulty getting into the story -- I didn't like the tone of the combined narrative voice/Tiffany's thoughts very much (it felt sort of simultaneously dumbed-down and punched-up for the YA market, and I missed the usual sarcastic undercutting tone of the footnotes)
R.F. Gammon
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I remember very much enjoying this book <3
Althea Ann
Jun 09, 2010 rated it liked it
As with most of Pratchett's books, I found 'Wintersmith' to be extremely entertaining, but not exceptional. Unlike many of the Discworld books, this novel will definitely be helped along if you've read some of the previous books in the series that deal with the same characters (The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky).
I've read the first, but not the second.
The story deals with the teenage apprentice witch, Tiffany Aching, who is helped/hindered by her friends the Nac Mac Feegles (blue, Scottish-fla
Mike (the Paladin)
Nov 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Wonderful, funny, and so informative! Are you aware that Limbo was called that because the door was so low?
Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
You have won my heart, Sir Terry Pratchett. This has got to be one of the funniest and most delightful fantasy series ever. Tiffany Aching is such a strong and lovable female protagonist, and I can't wait to explore more of her world!
Lauren
I enjoyed Wintersmith, the third book in the Tiffany Aching series immensely. It took me over a week to read it as I kept it at work as a balm for my heart. It does get annoying dealing with know-it-alls for twelve hours five days a week. Terry Pratchett did more than provide me with entertainment and distraction in Wintersmith.
Tiffany’s peer Annagramma is exactly like the insufferable woman I work with. Annagramma was introduced in A Hat Full of Sky, the second in the series. She is the prize
AO
It took me...3 years to read this book, lol. But that's because it's the sort of book one can enjoy page by page - you can read it slowly. It's funny and ridiculous and deep and wonderful. I love all these characters so much! <3
rosamund
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, childrens
It's wonderful to be back in Tiffany Aching's world. Meeting her, the Feegles, and Granny Weatherwax is like coming home to old friends. Though the book is full of the ridiculous -- an animate cheese, for example -- Pratchett's prose holds everything together with warmth and wisdom. He writes the best kind of comedy -- one that laughs with, not at, and highlights human errors like pride and selfishness. In this installment, Tiffany becomes entangled with the god of winter, and accidentally sligh ...more
Dakota★Magic in Every Book
I love this series so much I'm not sure I could even write a coherent review about it!
MisterFweem
Nov 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Any book featuring the Nac Mac Feegle is a win in my world.

But this, perhaps, is the bit I enjoy most from the book, and that's some of the hooptedoodle that Pratchett includes that's really not pertinent to the story, but oh-so-pertinent to developing his characters, which is a trait I admire in him:

Marjory J. Boddice had got some things laughably wrong. Girls on the Chalk didn't often run away from a young man who was rich enough to own his own horse -- or not for long and not without giving h
Nigel
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humour
Having read the final Tiffany Aching story I realised that among the Discworld books I'd missed were the earlier Tiffany Aching stories so I decided to start putting that right. Needless to say I'm reading them in the wrong order however this is Discworld...

I guess my favourites stories in the early Discworld books tended to be the Witches books (Death ones aside) so finding that these "childrens" stories contain Nanny Ogg and Granny Weatherwax make them worth reading for that alone. Pratchett's
Around the Year i...: Wintersmith, by Terry Pratchett 1 9 Jun 15, 2018 06:56AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett 5 58 Apr 12, 2015 05:44PM
Discworld: Wintersmith Read Along Part III 1 17 Sep 30, 2013 08:33AM
Discworld: Wintersmith Read Along Part II 1 17 Sep 23, 2013 07:07AM
Discworld: Wintersmith Read Along Part I 1 22 Sep 16, 2013 07:28AM
Discworld: Tiffany Aching Read Along - Books 3 & 4 4 32 Sep 11, 2013 05:32AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Another DiscWorld Series 1 4 May 21, 2012 06:50AM
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Golden Trilobite (Girl Genius, #6)
  • Conrad's Fate (Chrestomanci, #5)
  • The Eye of Zoltar (The Last Dragonslayer, #3)
  • The Brentford Triangle
  • The Mislaid Magician: or Ten Years After (Cecelia and Kate, #3)
  • Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 2: Research (Gunnerkrigg Court #2)

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)
“The trouble is you can shut your eyes but you can’t shut your mind.” 384 likes
“This I choose to do. If there is a price, this I choose to pay. If it is my death, then I choose to die. Where this takes me, there I choose to go. I choose. This I choose to do.” 364 likes