Start by marking “Wintersmith (Discworld, #35; Tiffany Aching, #3)” as Want to Read:
Wintersmith (Discworld, #35; Tiffany Aching, #3)

Wintersmith

(Discworld #35)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  51,394 ratings  ·  1,754 reviews

Tiffany Aching is a trainee witch — now working for the seriously scary Miss Treason. But when Tiffany witnesses the Dark Dance — the crossover from summer to winter — she does what no one has ever done before and leaps into the dance. Into the oldest story there ever is. And draws the attention of the Wintersmith himself.

As Tiffany-shaped snowflakes hammer down on the lan

Published October 1st 2006 by HarperTempest (first published September 21st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Wintersmith, please sign up.
Ruth Fanshaw You can read the Discworld books in any order. However, there are several different threads/sequences of stories, each featuring a separate group of c…moreYou can read the Discworld books in any order. However, there are several different threads/sequences of stories, each featuring a separate group of characters, and most people like to follow each sequence through in order. (A character from one thread may also make a cameo appearance in another thread, which is quite fun.)

The Tiffany Aching sequence actually also features characters from the Lancre Coven sequence, principally the ever awesome Granny Weatherwax, though Tiffany is the central character in these books.

Wintersmith is the third Tiffany Aching book. The first is "The Wee Free Men", so you might be better starting there. The first Granny Weatherwax book is "Equal Rites".

All that said - if you just want to read this one book, well dive right in! :) Pratchett was a good enough writer to give you the info you need to not feel disorientated. :) I'm confident that you'll be left wanting to read more Discworld books, wherever you start. :)

Hope this is helpful. :)(less)
Cassandra Well, for is kinda misleading. It's certainly a book where the main character is 13, and kids around that age would definitely love it. But adults als…moreWell, for is kinda misleading. It's certainly a book where the main character is 13, and kids around that age would definitely love it. But adults also love it. I think that primarily, Pratchett wrote for adults but also for children of all ages. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I would start someone on Discworld from age 10-100, but kids 7-10 would enjoy Tiffany's earlier books (and the feegles) too.(less)

·  51,394 ratings  ·  1,754 reviews

Start your review of Wintersmith (Discworld, #35; Tiffany Aching, #3)
Nicholas Karpuk
Jul 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young adults, Pratchett fans, fantasy readers, you
I physically twitch in the presence of cheap irony. You know the sort of lazy humor, like saying it's weird that a cop hates donuts, or acting surprised that a jock is smart. The sort of glib, lazy attempts at humor and cleverness that usually make it on to bumper stickers just makes me cringe. It's the same school of humor as people who put, "My other car is a broomstick" on their bumpers.

When Terry Pratchett started the witch series in the Discworld universe I considered that as close as the w
Lyn
Apr 02, 2017 rated it liked it
A very original Discworld story, this one the third in the Tiffany Aching sub-series.

First published in 2006 and the 35th in the Discworld bibliography, Terry Pratchett describes Tiffany as a young witch still in training but coming into herself and setting her sights on the kind of witch she will be (and not always in serviceable black.) As in others in this sub-series, the juxtaposition between Tiffany and the other witches (particularly Granny Weatherwax) makes this fun. Old Miss Treason (who
Trish
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It could be a nice spring day, here as well as on the Discworld ... if it wasn't for the Wintersmith (Winter personified) being in love with our favourite teenage witch. Why? Because she danced with him. And it turns out the Wintersmith is a romantic.

Tiffany is 13 years old by now and Miss Treason’s apprentice witch for now. (view spoiler) The
Tiffany Aching is nearly thirteen years old and enduring her toughest apprenticeship yet. Miss Treason lives in a lonely cottage on the forested mountainside; she’s blind and deaf and 113 years old, and “borrows” the eyes and ears of the creatures around her to see and hear better than those who rely on their own senses. She decorates her house with gruesome, stereotypical witch memorabilia to intimidate her visitors. Most girls don’t last a day serving Miss Treason. Tiffany has been there over ...more
Kalin
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
13 March 2015:

To one of my dads in spirit:

We remember you.

And then one day a traveling teacher (...) talked about how some wizards had once, using very skillful magic, worked out exactly what a human being was made of. It was mostly water, but there were iron and brimstone and soot and a pinch of just about everything else, even a tiny amount of gold, but all cooked up together somehow.

It made as much sense to Tiffany as anything else did. But she was certain of this: If you took all that stuff
Bradley
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-shelf, fantasy, ya
How very, very interesting.

When I read these novels the first time, I never paid much attention to anything over and above the worldbuilding or character development going on across all the novels or within individual ones. And honestly, that IS enough, with all the humor, classy fantasy, and heart going on.

In this novel, we have the classic tale of Orpheus and Euridice and/or Persephone and Hades. It's winter and summer, yo! But with Tiffany Aching doing a bit of a dance and having to deal with
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019

“Our kelda is havin’ dreams. Dreams o’ the future. Dreams o’ the hills all froze an’ everyone deid an’ the big wee hag wearin’ a crown o’ ice!”
“My goodness!”
“Aye, an’ there wuz more! She saw a green tree growin’ in a land o’ ice! She saw a ring o’ iron! She saw a man with a nail in his heart! She saw a plague o’ chickens an’ a cheese that walks like a man!”

Crivens! I can’t give anything less than five stars for a story about the ‘big wee hag’, Tiffany Aching. She is one of the best characters
Res
May 19, 2007 rated it liked it
The third book involving Tiffany Aching and the Nac Mac Feegles -- the one where Tiffany dances with the Wintersmith and gets herself into the middle of the ancient romance of summer and winter.

I love the witches, and I love the Feegles, and I love Tiffany, and it's always a pleasure to spend time with them. And yay for Roland growing up. And I loved the subplot involving Miss Treason and the slight improvement in Annagramma.

Having said that, I had serious problems with this book.

The most criti
Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my LOCUS Y-A list.

I think I’ll always have a soft-spot for imaginative young-adult speculative fiction and as the good people at Locus did such a grand job with picking their Sci-Fi winners, I’ll trust them to single out some special y-a books too.

I remembe
Lindsay
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Part of the Pratchett reread with the SpecFic Buddy Reads group in 2020.

Tiffany Aching is now around thirteen and an apprentice witch to the ancient Miss Treason. When Miss Treason takes Tiffany to see the dance that marks the beginning of Winter (the silent Dark Morris), Tiffany feels compelled to join the dance in the hole that seems to be there for her. Which is a terrible mistake, because now the Wintersmith is paying her attention and Tiffany may be now a key part of the oldest story of all
Joey Woolfardis
First read: 13th June, 2013. 3 stars.
Second read: 30th July, 2018. 3 stars.

Tiffany's third outing in the Discworld series sees her a couple of years older and learning her witchcraft from another old witch, this time one who appears to be a bit more "witch-y" than any of the others. She wears black, has a predominantly black house full of cobwebs and strikes fear in to the hearts of those she helps.

Whilst Tiffany may be older, she's also now a teenager, which brings with it all sorts of complica
Julie
Dec 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A lighthearted and fun entry in the Discworld series providing several hours of entertaining listening. However, I didn't engage with it in quite the same way as some of the others, and while I loved the narrator's voice, I did not enjoy the unnecessary and odd choice of interval music that played at the beginning and end of each disc.
Nicole
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Another case of feeling whatever I could write in praise of this would be insufficient, so I'll just be brief in my Pratchett-worship.
This is yet another fantastic Tiffany adventure, deceptively simple in some ways, very complicated and profound in others. The Wintersmith is both frightening and something to feel a bit sorry for. What it really takes to be a witch is the same thing it takes to be a responsible human being of any type--it's just the various embellishments that change people's pe
Charity
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pratchett is a wordsmith. He creates a divine world into which he spins his stories... stories of magic, where seasons have personalities and can become ... almost human. This is the case of the Wintersmith, when young witch Tiffany Aching leaps into the midst of the winter dance and takes the place of Summer. Wintersmith is captivated by her and wants to become human so as to be with her. He starts courting her with wintery magic, including millions of little Tiffany snowflakes. But as Granny W ...more
YouKneeK
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wintersmith is the third book in the Tiffany Aching subseries of Discworld. In this book, Tiffany has made a mistake that has put not only herself but also everybody she knows, and a whole bunch of people she doesn’t know, in danger.

There really isn’t too much I can say about this book that I haven’t already said about the previous two. I’m still really enjoying the series, and I still really like the characters in it. In this book, two of my favorite characters from previous books got a decent
Len Evans Jr
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
What more can one say when your reviewing a book written by a master at the height of his craft? First off I have to say that I have yet to read a Discworld novel that I did not adore. Terry Pratchett was a treasure and has allowed me so so many hours of pleasure, laughing my way through book after book. I have read quite a few of his books more than once and enjoyed them each and ever time. I only have a few left that I have not read and have sorta put off reading all of them just because once ...more
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
Published: 27/09/2007
Author: Terry Pratchett
Recommended for: fans of fantasy novels

This is another amazing book in the Discworld series (number 35), in this book we meet the character Tiffany Aching. She is a really wonderful, likeable and funny character who adds a great amount of fun to the novel. In this book we go on the adventure with her when the spirit of winter (the wintersmith) falls in love with her! If she doesnt figure out a way to deal with him there will never be spring again, howe
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
Well anyone who knows me will know that I absolutely adore Terry Pratchett, his writing style just captures me right from the very first word. With this being a young adult book it does mean that it has chapters (yes!) but it really doesn't feel like a young adult book when reading it, it could very easily be one of the Discworld series without it also being one of the young adult Tiffany Aching series.

I will admit I think that the Wintersmith was incredibly sweet! Oh and the Nac Mac Feegles wil
Martyn Stanley
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Well I've always been a Pratchett fan and I've always loved Tiffany Aching. I think the same is true for my daughter now too! Before I get stuck into the nitty-gritty of the review, the quick, obligatory plug: I don't just read I write. Mainly fantasy with a bit of old English folklore on the side. Most people who read my books enjoy them. If you're looking for something a bit different to read in the fantasy genre - check them out:-
Lady Death (Deathsworn Arc Book 0) by Martyn Stanley The Last Dragon Slayer (Deathsworn Arc, #1) by Martyn Stanley The Verkreath Horror (Deathsworn Arc, #2) by Martyn Stanley The Blood Queen (Deathsworn Arc, #3) by Martyn Stanley Rise of the Archmage (Deathsworn Arc, #4) by Martyn Stanley The Temple of the Mad God (Deathsworn Arc, #5) by Martyn Stanley The Lambton Worm by Martyn Stanley Return of the Worm Slayer (The Lambton Worm #2) by Martyn Stanley

Right! That's that out o
Jane Lebak
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third book in the Tiffany Aching stories is better than the second and remedies the gaps present in the first book, although I think 1 and 3 are probably about tied in terms of craft and execution.

My BIG gripe with this book is the setup. There was no reason for Miss Treason not to tell Tiffany what the dance was at the start. Tiffany reacted by instinct to a situation for which she was unprepared, and then she spent the rest of the book accepting personal responsibility for the havoc that r
Shovelmonkey1
I read this a long time ago, but not as long ago as I read all the preceding Pratchetts. Yes. I love all things Pratchett (mostly) and have accumulated an extensive Pratchett archive since about the age of thirteen. Sadly most of these books have been tucked away in my parents attic for the last twelve years but the wonder of encountering the Discworld has never been forgotten.

I've read all of the Tiffany Aching series, including the Wee Free Men. Thinking back now, I can't really remember a lo
Kaethe Douglas
2007 October 2

I love Pratchett's Tiffany and the Nac Mac Feegle. I'm a little sorry to see her growing up. Nonetheless, I appreciate the way her problems and tactics change as she grows up. She's a believable 13-year-old witch, which is a tough trick indeed.

***

2010 November 16

As Tiffany grows older, the books become more complex in structure. I'd definitely encourage a child reading them to read them in order, which I wouldn't say about the Discworld series over all.

***
2014 August 8

I get more ou
Denise
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
The wee Big Hag and feagles!
Ric
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars, but I’m rounding up because it very well could be 5. The Tiffany Aching books are marketed as the YA entries to Discworld, but they don’t feel like it. Tiffany is an amazing protagonist that feels much older than she is because of all that she’s experienced. She’s clever and self-assured, and has that sense of responsibility that feels like it’s way beyond her years. She’s the main reason that this series is so good, but the side characters like the Nac Mac Feegle are fantastic as wel ...more
Althea Ann
Jun 09, 2010 rated it liked it
As with most of Pratchett's books, I found 'Wintersmith' to be extremely entertaining, but not exceptional. Unlike many of the Discworld books, this novel will definitely be helped along if you've read some of the previous books in the series that deal with the same characters (The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky).
I've read the first, but not the second.
The story deals with the teenage apprentice witch, Tiffany Aching, who is helped/hindered by her friends the Nac Mac Feegles (blue, Scottish-fla
La La
This is my favorite title of the four Pratchett's I have read! Now if anyone asks me where to start reading the series, I will say with the Tiffany Aching arc. This is very YA readership friendly, too. I buddy read this with Annemieke from A DANCE WITH BOOKS, and we are already planning on buddy reading I Shall Wear Midnight next month. We have to get our Tiffany fix!
Shiloah
Lovely. Just lovely. The creativity of Pratchett keeps me smiling.
Christopher
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Moira Russell
I'm trying to write reviews again, instead of just ratings and status updates -- my problem is I always want to write The Exhaustive Review, and so wind up writing none. UH WHOOPS. I figure I'll start small with this book.

I had real difficulty getting into the story -- I didn't like the tone of the combined narrative voice/Tiffany's thoughts very much (it felt sort of simultaneously dumbed-down and punched-up for the YA market, and I missed the usual sarcastic undercutting tone of the footnotes)
R.F. Gammon
Discworld: Tiffany Aching Read Along - Books 3 & 4 4 32 Sep 11, 2013 05:32AM

• The Brentford Triangle
  • Missing Wings: Chronicles of the Aranysargas
  • Seven Little Sons of the Dragon: A Collection of Seven Stories
  • Squire (Protector of the Small, #3)
  • Vietējā stacija
  • The First Wall (The Siege of Terra #3)
  • Sasietā
  • The Posthumous Adventures of Harry Whittaker
  • A Wind-Storm in the Forests
  • Frost Fair
  • The Forging of the Sword (The Darkweaver Legacy #1)
  • Eve Spoke: Human Language and Human Evolution
  • Meerkat Christmas
  • Shakespeare for Squirrels
  • Gunnerkrigg Court, Volume 2: Research (Gunnerkrigg Court #2)
  • That Can Be Arranged: A Muslim Love Story
  • Byte Beautiful: Eight Science Fiction Stories
  • Jak voní tymián (Souvenirs d´enfance #1-4)

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, i

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)