Start by marking “Mutation (Remnants, #5)” as Want to Read:
Mutation (Remnants, #5)

Mutation

(Remnants #5)

Caught in the bowels of their strange new world, Mo' Steel and Billy Weir encounter a lost Remnant, Kubrick DiSalvo. But Kubrick has been horribly changed. The ship has transformed him, replacing his skin with a transparent plastic coating. Scared and awed by the ship's vicious power, the group tries to rejoin their friends.

But the other Remnants are in danger, too, in
Published March 1st 2002 by Apple Paperbacks (Scholastic) (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Mutation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mutation

Start your review of Mutation (Remnants, #5)
Julie
Welp. As of the very first page, I instantly went "WELL THERE GOES THE NIGHTMARE FUEL SHELF". This is also why I can't in good conscience shelve this series as middle-grade! A boy is literally flayed alive!!!

Anyway, Mutation is interesting because of the addition of new characters(!) to make up for the veritable slaughter that has been the previous four books; Kubrick (most definitely nicknamed after Stanley Kubrick y/n) and his father are part of the Missing Eight. Which also means there's six
Stephanie
This cover is a watered-down version of what the guy actually looks like. If they had drawn exactly what he looks like, well, he would look a little more like a Titan from the anime series Attack on Titan (images not for the faint of heart). Except he is encased in a clear plastic-like material.

I read the first page aloud to my friend Naomi, and I think it grossed her out, because she did not want me to continue reading. This is supposed to be a middle-grade series, guys. Maybe if these kids
Mike
Katherine Applegate and Michael Grant were high when they wrote this...

Whenever I consider writing a review of this book, that's pretty much all I come up with. This has got to be the most original and the most bizarre thing I've ever seen or read in my life. This is what fiction about aliens should be like: strange, terrifying, and filled with death.

That said, I do take some issue with the way the death was handled here. I've mentioned this before, but there's not nearly enough mourning for the
Arska-täti
Selviytyjät ovat vakavan ongelman edessä: hämmennyksen ja paniikin ristitulessa ystävän erottaminen vihollisesta on mahdoton tehtävä. Mo'Steel törmää toisiin selviytyjiin, joista on tullut eläviä ja hengittäviä, kammottavia ihmismutantteja. ”Äidin” luoma sekopäinen keinotodellisuus muuttuu yhtä arvaamattomasti kuin television tarjonta satunnaisen kanavasurffailijan otteessa. Kuinka U.S.S. Constitutionia luotsaavat Jobs ja kumppanit pärjäävät tulitaistelussa 1700-luvun brittilaivaston fregatteja ...more
Arlenne
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would trust Mo'steel with my life.
Thistle
Jan 09, 2017 rated it liked it
*Spoilers*

While the plot is great, the number of non-story issues are growing. As I said in my last reviews of the books in this series, these books are darned short. They very very much feel like chapters, not whole books. Related to that: It's getting annoying how much recapping the author has to do, when it feels like we just read about it in the last chapter.

Unfortunately there's an even bigger issue: I'm afraid poor Mrs. Applegate's editor might have died. The first book was near-perfect in
Julie Decker
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mo'Steel and Billy find a pair of leftover people who hadn't been with their roving band of refugee humans since the beginning. Alberto and his son Kubrick join up with them, but Kubrick has been operated upon by the ship, with his skin removed and replaced with a transparent protective sheath. Not only is he walking around with his organs visible, but he no longer has a sense of touch. Meanwhile, as Mo'Steel learns more about Billy and his odd abilities, the rest of the crew fights historical ...more
Wendy
Mar 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Another wonderful chapter in the life of the Remnants. Billy and Mo are separated from the rest of the group when Billy goes overboard and Mo jumps in to save him. With his special abilities Billy is able to save himself and Mo long enough for the ship to suck them into what appears to be another part of the ship. Here they meet another Remnant and his father.

While this newly formed group becomes acquainted the others are stuck in a node where they are in a battle for their lives. A losing
Paul Emily Ryan
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Review written: sometime before September 16, 2015

Mutation by Katherine Applegate

Why I read it: Still reading Remnants.

Rating: 3/5

What I thought: Kubrick why are you like what you are? Billy how the heck are you doing all this? What the heck happened with the room and the sea and all that? I don’t even know anything anymore. Also, Yago still sucks.
Shell Hunt
This is more like it.
This book focuses more on Jobs & Mo'Steel's relationship & differences.
I like the comparison of war and loneliness. This book was really interesting and seemed a little deeper than the previous in the series.
We also get our first view of the "antagonist" and a civil war begins between Billy and this antagonist. It's getting "real" in the way of juvenile literature.
Z
Mar 18, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, this is where the Remnants series starts getting really weird, I think. Although I suppose it still sort of makes sense. In a weird way. But it's getting more and more trippy and bizarre. We'll see how this goes....
Krystl Louwagie
Feb 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really love knowing/learning more about Billy. That's about all I have to say that I haven't already said in previous reviews about this series. This could make a great (if done well) horror series right now.
Swankivy
Aug 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always had to read these as soon as they came out. This one was freaky. People discovering what changes had happened to them while they were asleep in space. . . .
Erika  Forth
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was OBSESSED with this series in middle school.
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was really good.
Trihaly
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Just when you think the story can't blow your mind any more, there comes another twist or another revelation! Onward to the next book to find out what happens!
Zahra Matarani
Mar 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fira (beacuse you're a crave for aliens as much as i do and btw, kadonya nyusul)
I can tell from the first couple of pages that this thing's pretty worth reading.
Jeff G
Mar 24, 2014
Pan Hufflepuff
Feb 06, 2013
Maarit
rated it did not like it
Feb 15, 2014
rated it it was ok
Apr 17, 2013

• Tarinoita Muumilaaksosta
  • Pale Fire
  • The First Journey (Alternamorphs, #1)
  • Puputyttö
  • Clariel (Abhorsen, #4)
  • Moominpappa's Memoirs (The Moomins, #4)
  • Written in the Stars: Constellations, Facts and Folklore for the Armchair Astronomer
  • The Moomins and the Great Flood (The Moomins, #1)
  • Moominsummer Madness (The Moomins, #5)
  • Tales from Moominvalley (The Moomins, #7)
  • Aenir (The Seventh Tower, #3)
  • Above the Veil (The Seventh Tower, #4)
  • Into Battle (The Seventh Tower, #5)
  • Moominvalley in November (The Moomins, #9)
  • Animorphs (Animorphs, #1-54)
  • Den farliga resan
  • Who Will Comfort Toffle?
  • The Book About Moomin, Mymble and Little My
Katherine Applegate is the author of The One and Only Ivan, winner of the 2013 Newbery Medal. Her novel Crenshaw spent over twenty weeks on the New York Times children's bestseller list, and her first middle-grade stand-alone novel, the award-winning Home of the Brave, continues to be included on state reading lists, summer reading lists, and class reading lists.

Katherine has written three picture

Remnants (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Mayflower Project (Remnants, #1)
  • Destination Unknown (Remnants, #2)
  • Them (Remnants, #3)
  • Nowhere Land (Remnants, #4)
  • Breakdown (Remnants, #6)
  • Isolation (Remnants, #7)
  • Mother, May I? (Remnants, #8)
  • No Place Like Home (Remnants, #9)
  • Lost and Found (Remnants, #10)
  • Dream Storm (Remnants, #11)