Start by marking “The Callahan Chronicals (Callahan's #1-3)” as Want to Read:
The Callahan Chronicals (Callahan's #1-3)

The Callahan Chronicals

(Callahan's #1-3)

Callahan's Crosstime Saloon is the neighborhood tavern to all of time and space, where the regulars are anything but: time travelers, talking dogs, alcoholic vampires, cybernetic aliens--and a group of people who really, truly care about each other. It's the rare kind of place where bad pun are as appreciated as good conversation.

Time Travelers Strictly Cash is their polic
Published October 15th 1997 by Tor (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Callahan Chronicals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Callahan Chronicals

Rob Howard
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
I expected to really like this book. It's one of the few books regularly listed as a science fiction classic that I hadn't read. But, so far I really find it kind of "meh..." I'm only about half way through it, so my view may change, but I kind of doubt it.

There are several things I find annoying in the book that someone with a different viewpoint might not. For example the relentless hippy politics with the smug assumption that the reader will wholeheartedly agree, or the intensely negative vie
Jen
Nov 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, the humanity!
While listening to this, I sort of forgot for long stretches that I was listening to a sci-fi story; it's way more about interactions and acceptance than any sci-fi I've ever come across. Callahan's Bar, the setting for every story, never gets old and never gets tiring. It is peopled with aliens, time travellers, telepaths...and people. I was amazed at how some of the stories sucked me in totally, made me laugh (and groan at the sheer audacity and amount of terrible, terrible p
Diane
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, mostly for the warm fuzzies. Listening to the puns and riddles wasn't always great (I'm not too quick on my feet with those sort of things) and probably would've been better for me in print, but I wasn't too bothered that I didn't figure them all out. In fact, Spider didn't even know the answer to one anymore for a very long time. The narrator was fantastic, his characterizations were well done, not over done, and always consistent. He even has a nice singing voice! I ...more
Katie Mercer
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

I briefly touched on my love of Spider Robinson in my ancient post about Super Secret Guilty Reading Pleasures. Spider Robinson was just one of those authors - along with David Eddings he arguably shaped why exactly I love reading for fun. I picked up Callahan's Crosstime Salon for 100% the opposite reason most people do - I got a kick out of the cover. I've heard time and time again that people hate the cover of this compilation book. Well, it made me laugh and for better or for worse, I grabbe
Laurie
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have a copy of this that Spider very graciously inscribed for me at Darkover XX (it is one of my most treasured possessions, fully as much for the content as the inscription!)
Randy
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Even though this compendium collects the early Callahan stories, the fact that it leaves out some non-Callahan works from the second book counts as a loss, in my estimation. For good or ill, those stories were part of the second book, and, even though they had different settings (and some were not even fiction) they are part of the original work, and I feel like this collection is worse for not having them.
Itamar
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inventive, different, heart-felt and heart-warming. This collection is well worth your time, especially as it's so much more positive than pretty much anything this side of Disney (Or maybe Discworld).
Funny, punny and somewhat touching, it's not at all what I'd expected, but I really like the characters and camaraderie that inhabit this bar.
Jeff
Apr 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
There's a place out on Route 25A in Suffolk County, Long Island, New York; a unique tavern, indeed, but you couldn't tell by looking at it. Oh sure, the jumble of parked cars out front would seem a little odd, like a bumper cars rally frozen in time, or the fact that there was no mirror behind the bar like you'd see in any other drinking institution.
But that's all superficial and easily explained. What makes this institution so very special would require you to spend some time seated at the bar
Christian Lipski
Oct 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: science fiction fans, pun lovers, beer snobs, smart people
Recommended to Christian by: alt.callahans
Spider Robinson's tales about the denizens of the bar called Callahan's Place are the prescribed elixir for depression and worry. I avoided re-reading these stories for a while because they were unfailingly "perfect": everything happens exactly right, the right things happen to the right people, and it's all unrealistically utopian. But then, that's exactly what I want to read when I'm convinced that there ain't no justice in this world. I want to read about people who all get along and love eac ...more
Raj
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm a very recent convert to Callahan and his place, but I already adore it. These stories, all centred around Callahan's Place, its weird and wonderful regulars and how they all go out of their way to help others are a joy to read. Warm, witty and humanist, Robinson shows a depth of feeling and empathy that really resonates with me. And the puns, oh goodness, the marvellous truly awful puns! I love puns (even if I'm not very good at them myself) so seeing them celebrated here was a(nother) wond ...more
Dave
Feb 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of humorous science fiction or fantasy.
Shelves: fiction-read
A wonderful collection of connected short stories. Imagine a series like the TV show 'Cheers' or 'Night Court' (two of my favorites) where the characters not only care about each other but come from across time and space to talk about their troubles in a very unusual bar with a lovable, quirky group of characters. Community is a constant theme in the stories and I presume throughout the series' other books as well. As I read I laughed at the puns and the many joking references to classic science ...more
Diana
Apr 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
Кофти сготвена кръчмарска яхния от скучни, тъповати истории без никаква свързваща нишка, на светлинни години от фентъзи, фантастика и хумор.
По-лошото в книгата обаче е стилът или подобието на стил в опит да се имитира Хайнлайн и ужасният, дразнещ, изнасилен жаргон, използван за целта.
Твърде, твърде далеч от литература и без грам оригиналност ...
"Нахвърли се на храната като женкар на порносписание."

От изгубено време за част тази толкова прехвалена боза мога да си направя два извода:
1. Безвъзвра
Tom
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read, excellent voice work.
Lori S.
I figured it was time to revisit some old favorites and Callahan's Saloon seemed like a good place to start. I've missed Jake, the Doc, Fast Eddie, and Callahan, himself, and the others, so it was nice just listen to some truly awful puns and fun storytelling. The riddles in book two don't quite work in audio format, but otherwise, not bad as an audio book.

>Steps up to the chalkline with a glass of Shirley Temple and holds it up: to some wonderful memories of the past! Drinking off the rest o
Srochat
May 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Get ready to laugh and to love. This is a collection of three of Spider Robinson's classic "Callahan's" novels: "Callahan's Crosstime Saloon," "Time Travelers Strictly Cash," and "Callahan's Secret."

The stories center around a Long Island bar that is the merriest place in the universe, where coincidences (and puns) pile up like home runs in Coors Field, and which you only find if you need to. And this bunch of barflies may be the only hope for saving our species.

Not only fun, but SMART fun. Ye
Frank
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The collection of all the stories that take place in Callahan's. Full of puns, some obvious some subtle. And a valuable lesson; Pain is reduced when shared, and joy in multiplied when shared. You got to love a bar where you can break a glass in the fireplace and the mirror leads to another dimension.
Eleanor
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it
The details and ideas are fun, but the stories lack meat, there's never any real challenge for the characters, and the sexism and lack of interesting female characters are turn-offs. This is really a 2.5 star book, if Goodreads allowed half-star ratings.
Diana Koenig
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
I found that these are a bunch of entertaining stories with some sentimentality, but lacked a lot of depth or character development etc. Kind of like an episode from the Outer Limits.
Ali
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-books
I listened to this an as audiobook. I greatly enjoyed the narrator and absolutely loved this book. I found the location and characters intriguing and life giving. The people who frequent Callahan’s place care about each other, but also tell it like it is. Like many readers before me I long for a place of that of my own. The only problem with this publication is a strange addition by the author at the end (perhaps an afterword, but I don’t recall hearing that as I listened). Other than that I lov ...more
Charles Dingman
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wisecracking, cracking up at their own as well as each other's puns, competing for booby prizes and, in passing, saving the world from annihilation by hostile aliens and building a community that knows how pain shared is lessened, and joy shared made fuller, all centered around a barkeeper and his most unusual bar. Curiously endearing and surprising.
Bob Jordan
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Several other readers have said this already: you forget this is a fiction book. I listened on audio book and it just seemed like it was a real person telling us about things that happened at a real place.

"Shared pain is lessened
"Shared joy is increased"
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Comforting stories for Boomers.
Lane
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Callahan is the Man
Kevin Rivas
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books
There were a couple of truly great moments in this book, but I enjoyed it less than I would have wanted to, sadly.
Rick
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book had me rolling with the puns. A+ read.
Mojoey
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I revisited this classic from the early 80s. It's easy to forget what a shit show the 70s were.
Robert
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x2017-18-season
Classic Sci-Fi told in a classic fashion, short stories in the club tale vein.
Fresno Bob
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
excellent 70s nostalgia
Susan
I owned these books once a upon a time, but we got rid of them in a purge a decade or so ago. It was nice to revisit Callahan's Place again and find that they have aged well.
Tim
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can't imagine how anyone could give this book less than five stars.
  • Variable Star
  • The Stainless Steel Rat's Revenge (Stainless Steel Rat, #5)
  • Did You Say Chicks?! (Chicks in Chainmail, #2)
  • Futures Imperfect
  • Holding Wonder
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Fourteenth Annual Collection
  • If at Faust You Don't Succeed (Millennial Contest, #2)
  • Retief: Diplomat at Arms
  • Mage Quest (Daimbert, #3)
  • Kirinyaga (A Fable of Utopia, #1)
  • Phule Me Twice (Phule's Company, #4)
  • The Adventures of Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent (Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent, #1)
  • The Best of C. M. Kornbluth
  • The Queen of Air and Darkness and Other Stories
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Aliens: Tales to Warp Your Mind
  • Before the Golden Age: A Science Fiction Anthology of the 1930s
  • The Best Time Travel Stories of All Time
Spider Robinson is an American-born Canadian Hugo and Nebula award winning science fiction author. He was born in the USA, but chose to live in Canada, and gained citizenship in his adopted country in 2002.

Robinson's writing career began in 1972 with a sale to Analog Science Fiction magazine of a story entitled, The Guy With The Eyes. His writing proved popular, and his first novel saw print in 1

Callahan's (9 books)
  • Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (Callahan's #1)
  • Time Travellers Strictly Cash (Callahan's #2)
  • Callahan's Secret (Callahan's #3)
  • Callahan's Lady (Lady Sally's #1, Callahan's #4)
  • Lady Slings the Booze (Lady Sally's #2, Callahan's #5)
  • The Callahan Touch (Mary's Place #1, Callahan's #6)
  • Callahan's Legacy (Mary's Place #2, Callahan's #7)
  • Callahan's Key (The Place #1, Callahan's Series #8)
  • Callahan's Con (The Place #2, Callahan's Series #9)
“In 1971, after seven years in college, with that magic piece of paper clutched triumphantly in my fist, the best job I was able to get was night watchman on a sewer project in Babylon, N.Y. guarding a hole in the ground to prevent anyone from stealing it. God bless the American educational system!” 14 likes
“Shared joy is increased;
Shared pain is lessened.”
6 likes