Start by marking “A Wind Named Amnesia / Invader Summer” as Want to Read:
A Wind Named Amnesia / Invader Summer

A Wind Named Amnesia / Invader Summer

What was left for humankind after it lost all of its memories? The basis for the classic, beloved animated film, A Wind Named Amnesia poses that question, as the world is wiped clean, the pasts of every man, woman, and child blotted out with the whisper of the passing breeze. What caused it--aliens, magic, or a war gone horribly wrong? When a young man named Wataru ...more
Published June 17th 2009 by Dark Horse (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Wind Named Amnesia / Invader Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Wind Named Amnesia / Invader Summer

Start your review of A Wind Named Amnesia / Invader Summer
Quentin Wallace
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was two Japanese novels combined into one volume, and I was actually impressed with both.

A Wind Named Amnesia is basically a Post Apoc book where, well, everyone gets amnesia and it leads to the world falling apart. There's more to it than that of course, but I will leave the spoilers out and just say its very interesting.

Invader Summer regards this new girl in town, and there's just something very strange about her. Once again, I'll omit spoilers but this was a good one as well.

I think I
Bridgett
Jun 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
I loved the movie "A Wind Named Amnesia" and I loved the book. It can be dark, and the ending is left open, but it was definitely interesting to think about the implications of a mass amnesia among humans.

The second novel in this collection is "Invader Summer" which I found unique; a strange girl arrives and (almost) all the boys fall in love with her and strange things begin happening.
Kim
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I normally only track manga/light novels/anything in that vein on my Anime-Planet list: https://www.anime-planet.com/users/so...

But, adding this one on Goodreads so that some of my friends will potentially pick this one up.

There's two unrelated stories in this volume: A Wind Named Amnesia is AMAZING. Easy 5 stars. Like a combo of Kino's Journey (anime) meets The Road, and unlike many JP light novels, this one doesn't feel overly manga/anime-ish (a good thing for crossover appeal with people
Edric Unsane
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I found this compilation to be middle-of-the-road and disappointing. Whether it be due to poor translation or just mediocre story, I felt that the two stories contained within were flat and mildly uninteresting. I honestly have enjoyed the Author's Vampire Hunter D books much more, and the poor quality of the stories contained within was rather surprising to me.

I'd recommend skipping over this book unless you are a die-hard fan of the Author.
Jess
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Wind was better than Invader Summer, but both were enjoyable. They share some themes but are two distinct, separate stories.
Rose
This novel is comprised of two short stories, A Wind Named Amnesia and Invader Summer. While these stories fall into different subgenres and are not set in the same world, they are connected by the same theme: (view spoiler). This is not immediately apparent at the outset of reading either story but after reading both, it becomes obvious why both stories were published together in one book.

A
aaron
Nov 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
these two novels are bound in one volume and both are very good stories. the first, "a wind named amnesia" is about the world after almost everyone loses all of their memories, even the most basic needs to survive. it follows a character by the name of wataru as he travels across the former united states in order to learn what happened to the memories of people and to observe what people are now doing in order to cope. along for the journey is a girl by the name of sophia...and she seems to know ...more
Nocturnalblue
Dec 20, 2010 rated it liked it
A Wind Named Amnesia was an odd choice for me to pick up. Normally, I’m not a huge fan of stories set in a post-apocalyptic world, though I make an exception for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Yet even this science-fiction classic written by one of the major names of the genre left me at best, lukewarm. However, the particular apocalypse as described in Amnesia felt different–it wasn’t an all out war or an obvious alien invasion. Something stole the memories of humankind, specifically ...more
Morning
Apr 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fiction
Katrin
Jul 17, 2013 rated it liked it
my first book by a japanese author. it was really interesting and had brilliant ideas. but even the author admits that these are his early youthful works. there were a few things that bothered me. in amnesia it was the cliffhangers. they were resolved immediately after. this kind of killed the suspense a few times. in invader i did not like the end. it is a long built up to the end and finally it was ruined for me with this forced quick end. still, i liked the revolutionary and imaginative ...more
Lex
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
DNF. 2.5 stars.
I really wanted to love this, as I'm a huge fan of Kikuchi's works, but unfortunately this one just fell flat for me. I think the main issue I had was readability. The translators were really true to the Japanese, but they didn't give it any appealing style. In Japanese, there is a lovely style to Kikuchi's writing, but the translators just didn't pull that through with this one. I definitely prefer the translator(s) that Dark Horse hired to do the work for the Vampire Hunter D
Sara
Jan 01, 2013 rated it liked it
The first story seemed a bit slow for me and was pretty easy to guess what was happening before it happened. I enjoyed Invader Summer more but found it a bit hard to get into what was going on at first. Still, greatly written and I recommend fans of Kikuchi to check it out!
Jenny Thayer
Jul 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: japanese
the longer I am away from these 2 stories, the longer they stay with me. the are a different read more like an amine then a novel. good.
Ruth Kyle-devendorf
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
A great read by my favorite Japanese author. A wind Named Amnesia was the best of the two books. The second was good just harder to read and grasp the meaning...
Sarah Manx
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, japanese-lit
I actually abandoned this halfway through the second story, and I don't think I'll ever finish it. I can't get past the prose style of the translation. It feels tedious to read.
Kris
Another book I'm relegating to the back burners. This book is just sitting by my bed staring at me but I think I might leave it be for now as I try to get through other currently reading books.
pearl
Feb 20, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: science-fiction
Illustrated by Yoshitaka Amano.

Yesssss.
May 22, 2015
Darkhorse
Feb 28, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Dragonball Vol. 4 (Dragon Ball, #4)
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 雄英白書 I [Boku No Hero Academia: Yuuei Hakusho I] (My Hero Academia Light Novel, #1)
  • The Lost Era: Deny Thy Father (Star Trek)
  • Pawns and Symbols
  • Japan: A Modern History
  • Mrs Rosie and the Priest
  • The Military Form (The Vang, #2)
  • Perchance to Dream (Star Trek: The Next Generation #19)
  • Thrawn (Star Wars: Thrawn, #1)
“Night changed the streets.
It dressed them in the mourning clothes named darkness, and applied the makeup called mystery.”
0 likes