Start by marking “The How Not to Die Cookbook: 100+ Recipes to Help Prevent and Reverse Disease” as Want to Read:
The How Not to Die Cookbook: 100+ Recipes to Help Prevent and Reverse Disease

The How Not to Die Cookbook: 100+ Recipes to Help Prevent and Reverse Disease

From Michael Greger, M.D., FACLM, the physician behind the trusted and wildly popular website Nutritionfacts.org, and author of the New York Times bestselling book How Not to Die, comes a beautifully-designed, comprehensive cookbook complete with more than 120 recipes for delicious, life-saving, plant-based meals, snacks, and beverages.

Dr. Michael Greger's bestselling book
Published December 5th 2017 by Flatiron Books

To ask other readers questions about The How Not to Die Cookbook, please sign up.
Primrosebarks Cooking with whole foods and plants is not quick: it takes time to wash, scrub, peel, grate, and chop whenever you have a plant-centered diet. You…moreCooking with whole foods and plants is not quick: it takes time to wash, scrub, peel, grate, and chop whenever you have a plant-centered diet. You need to stay on top of what you have in your refrigerator, and plan out times for cooking the veggies that looked so fresh at the store, but are fading a day or so later. There are ways to adapt to this. Some things I do that I think work pretty well are:
1. Kitchen compost. That's my guilt-avoidance when the poor bunch of chard in my refrigerator didn't get cooked soon enough....at least it's enriching the soil in my garden!
2. Plan on cooking sessions at least twice a week. Put on some great music and spend a few hours cooking up a storm of 2 or 3 dishes that will last for several days. Make it a fun time.
3. Have a list of interesting dishes in mind when you go shopping. Remember you're shopping for several meals, not just one.
4. While I understand that high-tech, expensive gadgets in the kitchen don't work for everyone, I find both a Vitamix and an Instant Pot a HUGE time and money saver. The Vitamix produces wonderful, silken soups and dressings, and the IP saves me $$$ and time in cooking up beans and grains.

I find the recipes in this book easy to follow. I would not say that they are quick, depending on the vegetables and spices in each dish. Quick is not an attribute of vegan cooking.

Finally, I have several of Robin Robertson's cookbooks (she created the dishes in this cookbook based on Dr. Greger's guidelines). I LOVE her creativity and her excellent palate, but as J.D. mentioned, some of Robertson's directions can be simplified.

(less)

Nichelle Crocker
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great whole food, plant-based recipes. Overall the preparation is straightforward and there are many recipes that don't require a huge list of ingredients. I'm not a foodie and don't enjoy cooking much and this cookbook fits my style well.

Dr. Greger's humor and good-natured personality come through here as they do in everything else he touches. It's a fun read as well as a good resource.

UPDATE: half a year later and I still use this cookbook at least once a week. I love it.

There is a set of “sim
Danielle
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
My husband and I were huge fans of Dr. Greger's book so I had to pre-order his accompanying cookbook. We have made about 10 recipes from it and they have all been AWESOME! I think my favorite recipe so far has been the Curried Chickpea Wraps. We also enjoyed the Black Bean Burgers, Lentil Shephard's Pie, Sweet Potato Hash, and Moroccan Lentil Soup.

The recipes are simple and delicious and each one features a full-page photo so you know how the dish should look when you're done. I also like that D
Tina
Borrowed from library & need to purchase. Such convincing info to make necessary dietary changes.
Teo 2050
Jun 18, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: _contents
Contents:
(view spoiler)
Alyson Fortowsky
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
The cookbook companion to How Not to Die is less useful than the book itself; there are many better recipes out there that adhere well enough to a plant-based whole-foods oil-free diet to be very healthful. Forks Over Knives and Dr. John McDougall provide many excellent recipes for free on their website.

Greger limits himself to only his Green Light foods, which is an admirable goal but doesn't jive with the point he makes in How Not to Die about making Green Light foods more palatable with Yello
Jannah (Cloud Child)
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5

Firstly. I NEED to read the actual How Not To Die book because the parts I really enjoyed were at the beginning which were very informative nutritional facts and I know more of that would be in the original.
While the recipes gave me an insight into different ways I could incorporate a plant based diet into my cooking there was a lot of ingredients included which are hard to get or really expensive where Im from or on Amazon which takes it a star down for me. Another half a star down is becaus
Libby Beyreis
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I was fascinated by "How Not To Die", but I found this companion cookbook a little disappointing. Many of the recipes looked kind of dull, and there were a fair number of recipes that I think of as "faking food" - foods that are pretending to be something else that has meat in it. (e.g. vegan Sloppy Joes, vegan burgers, vegan bolognese, etc.) I tend to prefer vegan recipes that don't try to be something that they're not, but instead embrace the possibilities of the actual food that's being cooke ...more
John Hebus
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I haven't tried making any dessert or drinks, but from the savoury recipes, this book is a winner. One piece of advice - the whole jig on onion (red and spring) is a little bit too crazy for me. I'd put in half as much, or even less. Otherwise, great cookbook - always my go to when I feel like having a blast in the kitchen.
KC
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5. Plant based vegan recipes. Nice layout and photos but to be honest some of these recipes I'd rather die than eat. Unless someone can make them for me....
Adrian Luben
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
great cookbook! highly recommended!
Taunie Peterson
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this cookbook. I do not normally like to cook but these recipes are easy to make. I just finished reading the book How Not To Die. We have been eating like this for two weeks now and I feel great. I don’t miss sugar, meat or processed foods. If you are interested in becoming healthier, I highly recommend these books.
Janet
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: death, cookbook, health
Great recipes in here, even if the title should be "How Not to Die Young" or "How to Resist Disease and Die Old."
Judyw Winkleman
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great cookbook for Whole Food Plant-based eating. It is well written. It has a lot of great recipes. The only thing I wish it had were more recipes in the main-meal chapter. There are only nine recipes in this chapter. Of the nine, three are vegetable "pastas", and one is literally cauliflower with a lemon sauce. We did however find some good main dishes in other chapters (Wraps, grains).
Lindsay
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have a few vegan cookbooks now, but this one stands out because of the balance between simplicity and not over relying on starches. The recipes do a great job of incorporating vegetables and nuts while (mostly) not having too many components.
Stacey
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Michael Greger has made a huge impact on my health through his recommendations about nutrition in the past, and I have been looking forward to his cookbook. It doesn't disappoint!
T.L. Cooper
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The How Not to Die Cookbook by Michael Greger with Gene Stone offers a plethora of plant-based recipes that are easy and interesting. Greger makes the recipes accessible even for those who aren't adventurous cooks. While he does include some ingredients that might be unfamiliar to some, they are relatively easy to find. In addition, The How Not to Die Cookbook includes a handy guide to tell you which items on Dr. Greger's Daily Dozen from How Not to Die, you can mark off after eating it. I've on ...more
Karen
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, library-book
The book begins with a very condensed cover of the information in How Not to Die so if you haven't read the original book, you'll still get the basics here. Throughout the recipes, there are informational boxes on various foods and why they're good for you as well as tips for buying and using recommended foods. There is also a 14 day sample menu included though this would be a bit more useful if the recipes had hyperlinks back to where the actual recipe is found (I know, I want it all). ;-) I've ...more
Primrosebarks
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have a love/hate relationship with several of Robin Robertson's cookbooks, which I use on a regular basis. In collaborating with Dr. Greger, I think she did an amazing job of coming up with new flavors following Dr. Greger's guidelines, and so this is my favorite of her books to date.

Some of the recipes are tired retreads (e.g., lemon hummus), but there are enough strikingly original oil-free, vegetable-focused recipes that make this my first go-to book when I run out of ideas on what to cook.
Andrea
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The How Not To Die Cookbook" is even more than I expected. Not only are the recipes very well structured and diverse, Dr. Michael Greger filled the book with tips and tricks to make eating a whole-food plant-based diet even more practical. And he encourages people to try it out in their own paste, one step at a time.
In the back, you can even find some sample meal plans to help incorporate more healthy food into your diet.
I highly recommend this book to everyone who wants to lead a healthier lif
Thomas
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A catchy title but the reality is we will all die at some point. There are a lot of views of what is the "best diet" and this is basically aligned to a vegan approach. It has some good swap in items to replace common things you may rely on and a good set of recipes to implement the diet. I prefer a book like this that has a shorter section on the what/why and then more "implementation" especially when it comes to food...after all, I like to eat and you have to make the concept more than rules.
Brittany
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Don’t get me wrong I like Doc Greger and think he does good work, but this is another not so great plant-based/vegan cookbook. I read it online through my library and the recipes involve too many ingredients and some are not always easy to come by. I prefer simpler recipes which is why Pinterest is the best option for me. I think his information on health and how diet can improve or fix many conditions (like obviously heart disease and high cholesterol) is important. However, sometimes I think p ...more
Joyce
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's kind of funny to mark a cookbook as completely read, but I've perused the whole book and have made several dishes from each section, so I think that's about as good as it gets with a cookbook.

Perhaps it's the lack of salt but even with the spices included most of the recipes taste bland to me. The solution has been to double or even triple the amount suggested. That's helped some. I'm thinking about substitutions as well. Otherwise we've been pleased with every thing that we tried. I like
Brooksie
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I love Dr. Greger. I love his website, I love his Year in Review videos, I love How Not to Die. I do not love the cookbook.

95% of the recipes contain nutritional yeast, white miso paste, or both. Almost every recipe has a lovely photo, which is a big point in its favour, but there ain't much flavour variety happening here.

I may make a few recipes from this book, but I'll most likely just use it for inspiration for my own creations.
Andrea Marley
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn't realize there was a 'How Not to Die' book and a 'How Not to Die' Cookbook... Guess I started with the cookbook.

The preface was incredibly interesting. I enjoyed it and learned quite a bit. After perusing the recipes, I decided they looked like something I could actually do. (Like the date syrup, and then put it on EVERYTHING) The fryless stir fry and the morning oatmeal also looked yummy.

I guess this was like a preview, but looking forward to the next!
Patricia
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, useful, and creative cookbook. There are variations and practicalities that can be adapted and changed for variety. It's easy to make special meals that are healthy and that can be enjoyed without regrets.
This cookbook is most useful in partnership with HOW NOT TO DIE, where the science, medicine, and logic are presented.
A good way to get started is to use Dr. Greger's "Daily Dozen" app.
Matthew Wynd
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the few cookbooks that build recipes base on double-blind plant-based eating research. The recipes are very good considering that opening sentence. The cookbook would have been more helpful to me if the recipes were pre-logged in MyFitnessPall or if the pages at least include Macro breakdowns.
Karen
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recipes look enticing. After 3 weeks of eating the "How Not to Die" way, I find myself cooking for three hours at a time to try more complicated vegetables than merely steaming them :)
I have become more attuned to longer cooking sessions, so look forward to trying recipes in this book. Of course, there were too many to photocopy, so I had to buy the book.
Andrea
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lots of great information, not just reviews of scientific studies on foods but also creative ways to incorporate good foods into your diet. Some of the studies he relies on for proof of effectiveness are based on in vitro studies (ie- test tube studies vs studies done in people eating the item) so are not necessarily accurate in how the translate into human health.
Keith
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, health, medical
Truly Whole Foods

Many other cookbooks wander off theme if they try to tackle healthy eating, this book does not. Lots of accompanying materials to explain the how’s and why’s... I’ve only tried a couple recipes so far, but they have delivered on promises. Be aware that this cookbook is a companion to the original book!
Michael J. Frey
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you want to learn what you should be putting in your body, this is the book for you. Dr. Greger also has a site, nutritionfact.org that does consolidated meta-analyses of all the scientific literature that exists on human health and posts these findings in short, easy-to-understand vids on YouTube.
A founding member of the American College of Lifestyle Medicine, Michael Greger, MD, is a physician, author, and internationally recognized speaker on nutrition, food safety, and public health issues. He has lectured at the Conference on World Affairs, testified before Congress, appeared on The Dr. Oz Show and The Colbert Report, and was invited as an expert witness in the defense of Oprah Winfrey ...more