Start by marking “The How Not to Die Cookbook: 100+ Recipes to Help Prevent and Reverse Disease” as Want to Read:
The How Not to Die Cookbook: 100+ Recipes to Help Prevent and Reverse Disease

The How Not to Die Cookbook: 100+ Recipes to Help Prevent and Reverse Disease

From Michael Greger, M.D., FACLM, the physician behind the trusted and wildly popular website Nutritionfacts.org, and author of the New York Times bestselling book How Not to Die, comes a beautifully-designed, comprehensive cookbook complete with more than 120 recipes for delicious, life-saving, plant-based meals, snacks, and beverages.

Dr. Michael Greger’s bestselling book
Published December 5th 2017 by Flatiron Books

To ask other readers questions about The How Not to Die Cookbook, please sign up.
Primrosebarks Cooking with whole foods and plants is not quick: it takes time to wash, scrub, peel, grate, and chop whenever you have a plant-centered diet. You nee…moreCooking with whole foods and plants is not quick: it takes time to wash, scrub, peel, grate, and chop whenever you have a plant-centered diet. You need to stay on top of what you have in your refrigerator, and plan out times for cooking the veggies that looked so fresh at the store, but are fading a day or so later. There are ways to adapt to this. Some things I do that I think work pretty well are:
1. Kitchen compost. That's my guilt-avoidance when the poor bunch of chard in my refrigerator didn't get cooked soon enough....at least it's enriching the soil in my garden!
2. Plan on cooking sessions at least twice a week. Put on some great music and spend a few hours cooking up a storm of 2 or 3 dishes that will last for several days. Make it a fun time.
3. Have a list of interesting dishes in mind when you go shopping. Remember you're shopping for several meals, not just one.
4. While I understand that high-tech, expensive gadgets in the kitchen don't work for everyone, I find both a Vitamix and an Instant Pot a HUGE time and money saver. The Vitamix produces wonderful, silken soups and dressings, and the IP saves me $$$ and time in cooking up beans and grains.

I find the recipes in this book easy to follow. I would not say that they are quick, depending on the vegetables and spices in each dish. Quick is not an attribute of vegan cooking.

Finally, I have several of Robin Robertson's cookbooks (she created the dishes in this cookbook based on Dr. Greger's guidelines). I LOVE her creativity and her excellent palate, but as J.D. mentioned, some of Robertson's directions can be simplified.

(less)

Start your review of The How Not to Die Cookbook: 100+ Recipes to Help Prevent and Reverse Disease
Nichelle Crocker
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great whole food, plant-based recipes. Overall the preparation is straightforward and there are many recipes that don't require a huge list of ingredients. I'm not a foodie and don't enjoy cooking much and this cookbook fits my style well.

Dr. Greger's humor and good-natured personality come through here as they do in everything else he touches. It's a fun read as well as a good resource.

UPDATE: half a year later and I still use this cookbook at least once a week. I love it.

There is a set of “sim
Max
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: veganism
One of the best cookbooks I've read so far. I'm a bit of a Dr Greger fangirl, but the recipes in this one are solid good recipes that are easy to follow. The book begins with a summary of the main points discussed in How Not To Die. After that, the Daily Dozen is explained and then the recipes begin.

My favourite recipes are the desserts and smoothies. After the recipes there's a small summary on what boxes the recipe ticks on the daily dozen checklist. Sounds complicated, but it's not. I use the
Danielle
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
My husband and I were huge fans of Dr. Greger's book so I had to pre-order his accompanying cookbook. We have made about 10 recipes from it and they have all been AWESOME! I think my favorite recipe so far has been the Curried Chickpea Wraps. We also enjoyed the Black Bean Burgers, Lentil Shephard's Pie, Sweet Potato Hash, and Moroccan Lentil Soup.

The recipes are simple and delicious and each one features a full-page photo so you know how the dish should look when you're done. I also like that D
Libby Beyreis
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I was fascinated by "How Not To Die", but I found this companion cookbook a little disappointing. Many of the recipes looked kind of dull, and there were a fair number of recipes that I think of as "faking food" - foods that are pretending to be something else that has meat in it. (e.g. vegan Sloppy Joes, vegan burgers, vegan bolognese, etc.) I tend to prefer vegan recipes that don't try to be something that they're not, but instead embrace the possibilities of the actual food that's being cooke ...more
Tina
Borrowed from library & need to purchase. Such convincing info to make necessary dietary changes. ...more
Alyson Fortowsky
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
The cookbook companion to How Not to Die is less useful than the book itself; there are many better recipes out there that adhere well enough to a plant-based whole-foods oil-free diet to be very healthful. Forks Over Knives and Dr. John McDougall provide many excellent recipes for free on their website.

Greger limits himself to only his Green Light foods, which is an admirable goal but doesn't jive with the point he makes in How Not to Die about making Green Light foods more palatable with Yello
KC
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5. Plant based vegan recipes. Nice layout and photos but to be honest some of these recipes I'd rather die than eat. Unless someone can make them for me....
Claudia Turner
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great follow-up to “How Not To Die”. It begins with a brief but thorough summary of everything in Greger’s initial book, then several recipes that I use as starting off points for my own concoctions. He teamed up with culinary expert Gene Stone and has lots of beautiful pictures (a necessity for me with cookbooks). It’s important to read his book with this and to download his FREE app Greger’s Daily Dozen. This will help you change your life to a plant-based, disease-free, energy-charged place y ...more
Sherry Monger
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think I will need to buy this book - a companion cookbook to the How Not to Die non-fiction tome. I read several chapters, gleaning information on proper foods to eat to maintain good health. The cookbook builds on that information and presents recipes to support the research findings. I also downloaded the Daily Dozen app so that I can track my nutritional intake. Heart disease and Alzheimer’s are ever present in my history - cancer and heart disease in my husband’s -leaning into this diet wi ...more
Mark Robison
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In his other books and videos, Dr. Greger puts diet/nutrition claims "to the test" — randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studies — to find what foods are proven healthiest. This cookbook is based on those findings. The recipes contain no added oil, sugar, and salt. They are whole foods and plant based. If you’re good with those criteria, this is a fantastic cookbook. I’ve made more than half the recipes in it, many of them dozens of times. Frankly, this is the only cookbook I use curren ...more
Jannah (Cloud Child)
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5

Firstly. I NEED to read the actual How Not To Die book because the parts I really enjoyed were at the beginning which were very informative nutritional facts and I know more of that would be in the original.
While the recipes gave me an insight into different ways I could incorporate a plant based diet into my cooking there was a lot of ingredients included which are hard to get or really expensive where Im from or on Amazon which takes it a star down for me. Another half a star down is becaus
Shaleah
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I didn't realize there is a book that came first.

The recipes sound great! The science behind them seems sound. Can anyone pick this up and make one of these 'easy' recipes? Not really. I had half of the ingredients on hand but would need to buy others specifically for this cookbook. Some I know would not be carried at my local grocery store.

But once you have the ingredients, this would be a great resource for nutritious and tasty meals, including sweets, sauces, and smoothies.

This is a cookbook
Xanthi
Jun 06, 2020 rated it liked it
I’m glad this book was produced so people who read the original book can use this to put the principles discussed in it, into practice.
Having said that, I think the ingredients needed to be varied more and more recipes needed. Also a gluten free symbol used on appropriate recipes would have been useful.
The photographs and layout were superb.
All up I think this book is good for people new to cooking vegan.
John Hebus
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I haven't tried making any dessert or drinks, but from the savoury recipes, this book is a winner. One piece of advice - the whole jig on onion (red and spring) is a little bit too crazy for me. I'd put in half as much, or even less. Otherwise, great cookbook - always my go to when I feel like having a blast in the kitchen.
Adrian Luben
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
great cookbook! highly recommended!
Donna
Jan 02, 2020 added it
The book begins with a good overview of the excellent advice in Dr. Greger's "How Not to Die." I noticed that many of the recipes rely on miso, which I like, and nutritional yeast, which I don't, but otherwise seem worth trying.
Jonathan Mckay
It turns out I am far too lazy to cook healthy. We got a subscription to gobble instead.
Milka
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After borrowing this book from the library and marking almost every page, I decided to buy my own copy. Super easy, delicious recipes with appetizing pictures, perfect for everyday cooking.
Taunie Peterson
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this cookbook. I do not normally like to cook but these recipes are easy to make. I just finished reading the book How Not To Die. We have been eating like this for two weeks now and I feel great. I don’t miss sugar, meat or processed foods. If you are interested in becoming healthier, I highly recommend these books.
Janet
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: death, cookbook, health
Great recipes in here, even if the title should be "How Not to Die Young" or "How to Resist Disease and Die Old."
Barbara
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely invaluable, beautiful cookbook loaded with recipes for a plant based diet. This is a follow-up book to Dr. Greger's first book called, How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease, which explains the reasoning for changing your diet to plant-based. It is not that difficult to change your life and your health! This cookbook has many suggestions for breakfasts; snacks, dips and spreads; soups and chilies; salads and dressings; burger ...more
Brittany
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Don’t get me wrong I like Doc Greger and think he does good work, but this is another not so great plant-based/vegan cookbook. I read it online through my library and the recipes involve too many ingredients and some are not always easy to come by. I prefer simpler recipes which is why Pinterest is the best option for me. I think his information on health and how diet can improve or fix many conditions (like obviously heart disease and high cholesterol) is important. However, sometimes I think p ...more
Judyw
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great cookbook for Whole Food Plant-based eating. It is well written. It has a lot of great recipes. The only thing I wish it had were more recipes in the main-meal chapter. There are only nine recipes in this chapter. Of the nine, three are vegetable "pastas", and one is literally cauliflower with a lemon sauce. We did however find some good main dishes in other chapters (Wraps, grains).
Lindsay
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have a few vegan cookbooks now, but this one stands out because of the balance between simplicity and not over relying on starches. The recipes do a great job of incorporating vegetables and nuts while (mostly) not having too many components.
Stacey
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Michael Greger has made a huge impact on my health through his recommendations about nutrition in the past, and I have been looking forward to his cookbook. It doesn't disappoint!
T.L. Cooper
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The How Not to Die Cookbook by Michael Greger with Gene Stone offers a plethora of plant-based recipes that are easy and interesting. Greger makes the recipes accessible even for those who aren't adventurous cooks. While he does include some ingredients that might be unfamiliar to some, they are relatively easy to find. In addition, The How Not to Die Cookbook includes a handy guide to tell you which items on Dr. Greger's Daily Dozen from How Not to Die, you can mark off after eating it. I've on ...more
Sheila Graham
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to skim ahead in the reviews too see what the complaints could be. They were: Not wanting to wear out a blender, and didn't like food pretending to be something it's not.

You don't have to use a food processor or high speed blender. You can buy out flour. You can even use a pestle and mortar. (Or the back of a spoon and a bowl) I use a less expensive ninja and it works perfectly. It has for 8 years so far. Not all recipes ask for it.

The red quinoa loaf would be a great replacement for some
Evelyn
You really can't go wrong with this plant-based cookbook when you need some healthy cooking inspiration - it's by far the healthiest cookbook I've ever come across from the King of all things health no less - Dr Michael Greger! The simple layout makes it very accessible with clear photos throughout and the recipes are super easy to follow. There aren't any 'weird' ingredients in here either - everything should be easy enough to find in a supermarket or health food shop and I enjoyed reading the ...more
Laura Ralston
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This is my go-to cookbook to build recipes off of. I use it more as a jumping off point and end up adding greens, grains, etc. to suit my tastes and caloric goals. After reading How Not to Die, I tried to implement the Daily Dozen on my own and found I was eating way too much food and things I didn't particularly like. Buying the cookbook was a huge help, broadening my idea of how to sneak in Daily Dozen ingredients and how to cook things well without tons of oil or salt. The recipes are approac ...more
Leah Hanley
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great cookbook for all types. Dr. Greger does not keep any of his book profits because he doesn’t want any doubt that the information is highly researched and trustworthy.

What I love about this book is that it’s loaded with flavor and he includes lots of easy tips for incorporating these foods into your own style of cooking. And although the recipes do not include any butter, oil, or salt, they are still packed with great flavors. (And of course, you can add those ingredients if you really reall
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Forks Over Knives—The Cookbook: Over 300 Recipes for Plant-Based Eating All Through the Year
  • The China Study Cookbook: The Official Companion to the China Study (Over 120 Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes)
  • The Oh She Glows Cookbook: Over 100 Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out
  • The Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease Cookbook: Over 125 Delicious, Life-Changing, Plant-Based Recipes
  • The Happy Herbivore Cookbook: Over 175 Delicious Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes
  • Forks Over Knives: Flavor!: Delicious, Whole-Food, Plant-Based Recipes to Cook Every Day
  • Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen: Traditional and Creative Recipes for the Home Cook
  • The Engine 2 Cookbook: More than 130 Lip-Smacking, Rib-Sticking, Body-Slimming Recipes to Live Plant-Strong
  • Minimalist Baker's Everyday Cooking: 101 Entirely Plant-based, Mostly Gluten-Free, Easy and Delicious Recipes
  • The Forks Over Knives Plan: How to Transition to the Life-Saving, Whole-Food, Plant-Based Diet
  • The Starch Solution: Eat the Foods You Love, Regain Your Health, and Lose the Weight for Good!
  • Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World: 75 Dairy-Free Recipes for Cupcakes that Rule
  • The Best Recipe
  • The Engine 2 Diet: The Texas Firefighter's 28-Day Save-Your-Life Plan that Lowers Cholesterol and Burns Away the Pounds
  • Thug Kitchen: The Official Cookbook: Eat Like You Give a F*ck
  • Plant-Based on a Budget: Delicious Vegan Recipes for Under $30 a Week, for Less Than 30 Minutes a Meal
  • Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook
  • Vegan 100: Over 100 Incredible Recipes from Avant-Garde Vegan
A founding member of the American College of Lifestyle Medicine, Michael Greger, MD, is a physician, author, and internationally recognized speaker on nutrition, food safety, and public health issues. He has lectured at the Conference on World Affairs, testified before Congress, appeared on The Dr. Oz Show and The Colbert Report, and was invited as an expert witness in the defense of Oprah Winfrey ...more

News & Interviews