Start by marking “Apprentice (The Black Mage, #2)” as Want to Read:
Apprentice  (The Black Mage, #2)

Apprentice

(The Black Mage #2)

She survived a trial year at the Academy of Magic, but that was the easy part…

Now sixteen-year-old Ryiah is an apprentice of Combat, her school’s most notorious faction. When she finishes, she will be a war mage, but in order to do so, she has to survive four years traveling across Jerar, training with a master she hates, her old nemesis, Priscilla, and Prince Darren, her
Published January 24th 2017 by Rachel E. Carter (first published February 17th 2015)

Rachel E. Carter
Oct 02, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: written-by-me
SERIES TEASER TRAILER: https://youtu.be/AJcWes2y__s

PINTEREST BOARD: https://www.pinterest.com/recarteraut...

LINKS TO BUY BOOK:
AMAZON: http://amzn.to/2j5q13p
AUDIBLE: http://www.audible.com/pd/Teens/Appre...
BOOK DEPOSITORY: https://www.bookdepository.com/Appren...

*** PLEASE NOTE: The ebook editions of this series are only available through Amazon, however you can still purchase the paperback/hardcover/audiobook versions at all retailers. If you would like to continue reading the series as ebook, y
Katerina
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Since Goodreads doesn't allow us to rate more than 5 stars,then 5 stars it is.But in my heart,Apprentice deserves all the stars in the sky,and maybe some more.

First Year was a great book,a really pleasant surprise that showed us what a talented writer Rachel E. Carter is.And yet Apprentice was even better,a shiny gem among the other YA fantasy books that kept me up all night and forced me to eat my feelings because it hurt.It.hurt.so.damn.much.
“Someday,Ry,you are going to realize who Darren re
Aj the Ravenous Reader

Oh well, there is no point in hiding it.

The first book was awesome but this one is:

This book has everything in a book I am looking for. It has the perfect dose of every element. No event was underdone; no characterization was over pushed. The scenes elicited so many intense but worthy emotions from me. I laughed, I cried, I mourned, I swooned a lot, I worried so much ,I loved and hated Darren and hated and loved him again! Every character is unforgettable (Ry has now become my next favorite her
Clara
** 3 "THIS WAS DISAPPOINTING" stars **

I loved the first book sooo much, it nearly kills me now to give this sequel only 3 stars, but I can’t overlook some things that either disappointed or annoyed me ! :(

The world-building and the plot :
Well, I was okay with the first book not having much of a plot and being only about training and character’s development, but I was convinced it was just a way to introduce the series and that things were finally going to take off in book 2, but unfortunately
Cece ❀Rants, Raves &Reviews❀
This book took everything I loved about the first book, and shot it. Shot it in the goddamn face.

RIP hopes and dreams
description

Remember Ryiah, the independent character who focused on training? Now its just love triangle, love triangle, random fight scene, and....love triangle!!

description

“You aren't afraid of making the wrong one, Ry, it's the fact that you want to make the wrong one.”
~~I hate you! I want you! But don't want to! But i cant stop~~

Flashback to the friendships, bonds and clever relationships the au
Melissa (Ever So Mela)
First Year Book 1 review
Candidate Book 3 review
Last Stand Book 4 review

4.5
...Well color me flipping surprised.

In all honesty I was expecting to hate this or at least severely dislike it. I've had this for a week or so but dove into other books to actually get in a good mood cause lately I've been a nitpicking bitch. I'll even admit it to myself.

The funny this is...
THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NO NEED!

I don't know if I'm the only one but I am one wary girl when it comes to second books in a trilogy oooor
Ben Alderson
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Magic and romance clash in this epic follow up to First Year."

WOW. This series is just WOW.
I am loving this world, the characters. THE MAGIC. I mean, I've never read a book with 'MAGES' in. AND NOW I WANT TO READ THEM ALL!

Loved this
Ashley
first read: March 19-21, 2015
first reread: July 3-5, 2015
second reread: February 3-?, 2017

"My dear, each one of us is a hero. The irony, of course, is that most will never receive the title."

JULY 2015: My feelings have definitely not changed in a negative way towards this book. I loved it the first time around, and I loved it even more on this reread. The world R.E.C. has created is truly beautiful, and I can't be more excited than I already am for book three.

-----------

MARCH 19: I miss having
Inge

I received a free copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I have to give Carter this: that woman knows how to keep me reading.

The first chapter excluded, I read the entire book in a day and a morning. Even though I had some issues with the book, I could not put it down. I had to know what happened next, if Ryiah finally grew some brain cells (the answer was usually no), if Ryiah and Darren would get together already (also usually no). It’s an engaging story for sure.

So let
Katerina Kondrenko
3 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Short-Soundtrack:
The Red Paintings – You're Not One Of Them
Freelance Whales – Follow Through
Jamie O'Neal – To be with you

Genre: high-fantasy, YA
Stuff: magic, academy, politics, looming war
Fail: plot-structure, romance
POV: 1st person, female
Love-Geometry: hard

Quote-Core:
"We couldn't be f
Nasom
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
My 100th book of the year had to be this 🙄.

Took me like 2 months to complete and I read 13 other books in-between smh. A waste

RTC
Dannii Elle
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Actual rating 3.5 stars.

This is the second instalment in the Black Mage series. Ryiah and Alex, twins from a lowborn family, are entering into their second year of training to become magical mages. After the trials accompanying their first year their continued studies promise to be just as full of drama and complications.

I had stated in my review of the first book that I am absolute trash for magical boarding school settings, and this hasn't yet changed. I was initially disappointed to see that
Sakina
May 25, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Gosh I feel like the black sheep here. But in my defence I really did want to like this book.

After reading First Year, I was really excited to read Apprentice. My hopes were high! In fact Apprentice started out well but after a few chapters it dwindled down badly.

While unlike First Year, the world building in this book is better, it lacks in all the departments that First Year stood out in viz. Characters, character development, romance and training. Apprentice was half sappy romance and half
Naomi 🐨
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magnificent ❤ ...more
Teryna90
description

I finally managed to write this review! While painting the kitchen I finally got a break, lol... Here I go. Hope to write down everything. There's a lot to say!

" Your future, dear Ryah,
has just begun"

Did you like First Year ??? Yes? Well then you're going to love Apprentice !!!! Didn't like much First year? Well you should read this one! You'll love it or at least like it! Didn't read First Year!? You absolutely have to... not only because it's a really good read but because it gets you
Cee (The Mistress Case)
Review can also be found at The Mistress Case.

PART 1. “When Words Fail . . . Trust in Lightning” – A Less Than Three Confession by Cee

It’s true that when you come out of a storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in.

Ryiah and Darren aren’t the same people.

They’re so much more.

Only the bravest can love— and these two have the courage to love when all odds are against them.

Their love is lightning.

Beautiful.

Captivating.

Powerful.

Dangerous.

Deadly.

A second later there was a bright flash of yello
Mel
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok honestly this book had a few things I was a little ???? about, but I really loved it and I'm just going to give it 5 stars because I'm weak and really it's actually amazing regardless.

Ok so I think to lay out what the plot is would be a good start. So basically, this series (not this book) follows a girl named Ryiah and she lives in a world where anyone in any social status in society can go to this magic school and try out. If they get it, they have 1 year sort of "probation period" and if t
Muse-ic ♬
4.5
Well, that was intense!

I plowed through that thing! I was so hooked and in love! With the book and certain people *coughyouknowwhoyouarecough*

Before I get into the specifics, I just wanted to say that this is so worth the read, especially if you've read the first. If you've read the first one, then get on with this one already (I don't know why it took me so long to jump on this installement). If you haven't read the first one.......I don't know what to tell you except GET ON WITH IT!!

(view s
Natalie (Never trust a duck)
And Never Trust a Duck Pictures presents the stages of Natalie as she read this here novel.

The WHAT moments:

The THANK YA LAWD moments:

The I AM QUESTIONING YOU moments:

The DENIAL moments:
Description

The SWEET RELIEF moments:
description

And then it ended and I was just sort of....numb from it all.

Happy Reading!!!
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
***I received the ARC ebook free as a review copy from the author/publisher in exchange for an honest review***

Just give me a second to stop dancing round my room and grinning like a fool… okay, I’ve calmed enough to write this review, though the grin is going nowhere anytime soon!

This book is more than I could have hoped for, with all the awesomeness from the first book there isn’t a doubt in my mind that it deserves all the stars in the sky for a rating. The second it was on my phone, I was re
majo
I have a lot of things that I hated in this book, and a lot of thing that I loved so I'm rounding up the rating to three stars for that.

THINGS I HATED

-The fucking stupid love triangle. I mean, (view spoiler). It wasn't necessary to the story at all.
-I don't know if it is only me, but the story in this book happens in four years, and I feel it
Anja
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*5 EARTH-SHATTERING STARS*

This book absolutely destroyed me. AND I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT.
The one thing I keep asking myself is... Why the hell aren't these books more popular?!?
They include everything I've ever asked for and more: lots of adventure, non-stop action, an intense romance, a kickass heroine... I'm officially hooked! That being said, I'm off to read the next one righ
Sophia Sardothien
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm torn between giving this a 3 or 4 stars

But since the things I love in this book is more than the ones I hate. 4 stars it is.

After reading the second novel I'm still not a fan of the protagonist, she really does annoy me.

But I absolutely love her relationship with Darren. OH HE IS SUCH A SWOON-WORTHY MALE LEAD

Overall I can't say I absolutely love this book, but I do find it extremely intriguing and entertaining.

I honestly can't wait any longer for the next one, is such a long time since
Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink*

I usually try to wait a day or so after finishing a book before I start writing a review. I like to let it sink in and process a bit before I start forming distinct opinions.

This one couldn't wait.

I always approach second books in a series with a healthy amount of trepidation. Remember Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest? That's why. It's easy to stall out, delay action and use the second book as a bridge to the third book and it's conclusion. Relationships stagnate and there is usually l
Avy  (Book Looney) ❄️
That...was... AMAZING I WANT TO WRITE A REVIEW BUT I HAVE TO START THE NEXT ONE

Guys... Guys...I'm speechless. I don't even want to write a review for First Year cause I'm afraid I won't do it justice. Rachel Carter is one of the best writers out there. First Year and Apprentice were super fast paced, and usually I hate that in books because I like to know what's happening every moment lol but Rachel just wrote in a way that it worked.

Darren and Ryiah, power couple of the year. Their relationsh
Rachel
4 STARS FOR "APPRENTICE" BY RACHEL E. CARTER

"I told you not to trust a wolf," he continued. His words dripped like honeyed venom. "Because it would only ever want to break you." Darren let out a small, harsh laugh. "Haven't you figured it out yet? I'm the wolf, Ryiah. I guess what I really should have told you was to never trust a prince, but that's not quite as memorable."

description

What's that I hear? Oh, sounds like Darren swooping in and capturing my heart once again!

Seriously, I get really gushy whe
Aila
This book was quite longer than the previous, First Year, and goes through the rest of the characters' training, so that spans about... four years. Damn son. I have to say, despite some elements I liked that First Year didn't have, there's also a lot of stuff that I got really tired of, real quick.
Our main character, Ryiah, is doing pretty well at school. The rigorous course from First Year really prepared her and her friends, so there is less detail on their coursework and the amount of studyi
Rose
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
So I've been smiling like an idiot ever since I finished the book - because Wow, what an ending!
The characters were amazing and at times unpredictable, so I couldn't stop turning the pages. Darren and Ryiah were so intense with enough complications in their love story to put Geum Jan Di and Gu Jun Pyo to shame :)
Ryiah is undoubtedly one of my favourite female characters now, I really appreciate that her success as her mage comes from her determination and her ability to acknowledge her mistakes
99 cent Bestsellers: 99 cents 1/21-1/26 YA supernatural fantasy romance 1 6 Jan 21, 2016 10:06AM
So You Say You Li...: PLEASE VOTE FOR THIS BOOK 1 10 Nov 03, 2015 02:56AM
The Ultimate Book...: PLEASE VOTE FOR THIS BOOK 1 3 Nov 03, 2015 02:49AM
  • Thorne (The Chronicles of Kaya, #2)
  • Fire Falling (Air Awakens, #2)
  • Ride the Wind (Flipped Fairy Tale #3)
  • Ferran's Map (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #4)
  • Paladin (Paladin, #1)
  • Fantasy of Flight (Tainted Accords, #2)
  • Rise (Order of the Krigers, #1)
  • The Verkreath Horror (Deathsworn Arc, #2)
  • Frostbite (The Dragonian, #3)
  • Tempest (Scribes of Medeisia, #2)
  • Touched with Sight (Shadow Thane, #2)
  • The Threshold Child (The Threshold Child, #1)
  • The Otherworld Trilogy: Faelorehn / Dolmarehn / Luathara (The Otherworld Trilogy #1-3)
Rachel E. Carter is the USA Today bestselling author of The Black Mage, a YA fantasy series about magic, love, and war -with future projects to come. She hoards coffee and has a weakness for villains and Mr. Darcy love interests.

Never want to miss a release or giveaway? Sign up for Rachel's newsletter: HERE. You'll also get a free novella (prequel to The Black Mage series) for signing up!

If you a

The Black Mage (4 books)
  • First Year (The Black Mage, #1)
  • Candidate (The Black Mage, #3)
  • Last Stand (The Black Mage, #4)
“People make mistakes all the time – some of us just are in more of a position to leave an impact when we do.” 26 likes
“Well done, Darren!” Master Byron was full of praise for the prince. “What did you use to cast it?”
Darren’s eyes found mine. “Something I don’t regret.”
23 likes