Start by marking “Quince” as Want to Read:
Quince

Quince

Lupe is just your average, insecure, well-meaning, occasionally cranky teenage girl whose life is completely turned upside down when she discovers she has superpowers at her quinceañera. Her quince powers only last as long as she's fifteen, so over the course of this rollercoaster year, we follow the adventures of Lupe as she figures out what it really means to be a hero. ...more
Published October 23rd 2017 by Fanbase Press

To ask other readers questions about Quince, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quince

Start your review of Quince
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Best line: "Jasmine is mean to everyone. She regularly says hurtful things about my body. That doesn't mean you're allowed to murder her at prom."
Lata
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was sweet, and drama-filled, and funny, as Lupe gets superpowers on her 15th birthday, and her fabulous abuela helps her train and deal with the emotional aspect of gaining her abilities. The catch is that the superpowers only last a year.
I loved Lupe, and how she dealt with her superpowered year, but more importantly, how she dealt with the loss of her powers on her 16th birthday, and afterwards.
Lost in Book Land
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hello! How are you?

Recently, I have been reading like crazy! My new nightstand TBR stack is out of control (but in the best way because it has some amazing books I have really been looking forward to on it). The other night after I had finished a book, I wanted to keep reading but I had not felt reading to pick up a new novel or series yet, so I found myself browsing Hoopla for a graphic novel (I have the next issue of Giant Days already downloaded but I do not know if I am emotionally ready for
Deidra (ShadeTreeReads)
This was a lot of fun! Lupita and her abuela made a great crime fighting team. The art and color schemes were adorable! I will definitely pick up volume 2 when it comes out.
lyssa
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
first of all so cute and also,,, the representation,,, like the main character is thick and not white??? LOVE TO SEE IT
Cande
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: latinx-books
there were so many weird things with this comic. and by weird I mean, things that made me uncomfortable.
Nifer
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful dialogue and characters. I really liked the relationship between Lupe and her family. The ending was spot-on.
Brooke
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5
Really cute and I loved the art style. I also really like the topics that were low key discussed like body positivity and being a hero means just helping and doing good deeds. I kinda didn’t like that she only had her powers for like a year I think? Also I think this is the first thing I’ve read that had a quince in it.
Cait
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I got this at last year's Latino Comics Expo (which was very fun) and finally read it today. It was so lovely!! It also gets all three thumbs up from me for being a self-contained 15 issues. Serialized media is a struggle, y'all.
Maggi Rohde
Such a clear, authentic teen voice!
Grace Miguel Cipriano
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is it, a graphic novel made for me! I remember my quince with elation and confusion ( bing a Latinx teenager is complicated). I had a MAJOR crush on a Vietnamese boy in 8th grade so yay Devin! Lupe is so real and funny and the unlikely hero of her own story. Her whole family are wonderfully quirky, well developed characters and not Latinx caricatures at all. Lupe refers to Oscar Isaac and Michael B. Jordan as celebrity crushes- same girl, same. I felt Lupe so hard. I have never seen myself ...more
Carol Tilley
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, women, school, teens
4.5 - charming.
Nicholas Diak
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quince is the seventh graphic novel/trade paperback release, and incidentally the third in a trio of consecutively released youth-oriented superhero stories (after Yehudi Mercado’s Hero Hotel and Stefano Terry’s The Gamma Girls), from Fanbase Press. Created by Sebastian Kadlecik (one of the masterminds behind Fanbase Press’ Penguins vs. Possums), written by Kit Steinkellner with Emma Steinkellner on art duties, Quince was originally being released digitally on the 15th of each month at comiXolog ...more
Mary
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So so so good. This book is heartwarming, funny, exciting.
Shannon
Sep 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow, this was a really fun superhero story following a girl whose superpowers appear after her quinceañera. I really enjoyed the family relationships, especially with her abuela and also that is mixed in regular coming of age moments at school with battling criminals at night. A busy life Lupe has! A really wonderful story.
Leslie
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nice integration of cultural touchstones, common superhero tropes, and story about finding the power within yourself. This could be a great stepping stone for conversation with a middle grade reading audience on multiple levels.
Macklin R
Aug 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Solid 3.5. A great pick for middle grade readers.
Alyssa
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Okay, this graphic novel is ADORABLE. Also smart, feminist, and swoony. I am buying this immediately for my YA collection.
Deanna Siegel
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There is so much I loved about this book. Lupe is such a wonderful main character and I loved her family, especially abuela. Her love interest was sweet and the villain not so irredeemable. Overall, a humorous but genuine kind of story.
Ariana
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Super cute, easy, feel good comic! Love the message at the end and how positive this comic was overall. I liked the representation and topics it covered in an easy little package for young readers to cover. Its all about love, people, love 💘
Adriana
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
This made me so happy. I love that Lupe only had her powers for one year and the way she used her experiences after the fact. It was a nice message to say bescially we can all make a difference/be a hero if we try and it's nice to get that reminder every once in a while. The artwork by Steinkellner was nice and aesthetically pleasing. I really wish there was a continuation or something similar that was out there in the comic world featuring Hispanic superhero leads.
Cheriee Weichel
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I realio trulio loved this book so much!

Lupe's quinceañera is special in more ways than she anticipated. Not only is it her coming of age into womanhood, it's the day her super powers manifest. Luckily, her abuela, who's been through it all herself, is there to mentor and guide her. It's a wild and wonderful year for Lupe as she saves her community over and over and experiences fan adoration. It's also hard work and very stressful! It isn't easy living two separate lives. When her grades start s
Michele
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quince is short for quinceanera, the 15th birthday of a Latinx girl, marking her coming-of-age with a party. Originally a 15-issue web series, Quince follows Lupe as she transverses her 15th year with all the expected teenage issues - school, love interests, trying to fit in - but with the twist that this young lady has also gained superpowers for one year. What will Lupe do with her powers?

To me, the heart and magic of Quince is the familial relationships and friendships forged through the sch
Andrea
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
+ self contained, I loved the use of the time constraint
+ fun, wholesome, and cute
+ realistic superhero-ing
+ the whole representation thing
+/- can be enjoyed by anyone (truly), but low-key quite blatantly appealing to a younger teenager (especially pre-teen) audience which is fine
- The writing feels like it's trying too hard to be relatable and Lupe can be annoying sometimes...
+ But in a relatively realistic way. I was not like that her age (even without the powers circumstance), but I can defin
Bruna
This was a sweet and fun comic about a girl who receive magical superpowers the day of her quinces and her tough Abuela begins training her to be a superhero.

Throughout the comic Lupe learns that superpowers are hard and that because she was given these powers she has a responsibility to help the world with them. The whole thing is a beautiful metaphor on growing up and on how helping others doesn't have to be a huge battle of good vs. evil, but instead a constant struggle that we all have to fa
Ashley
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This cute, short comic has a lot to love, featuring a strong relationship between a girl and her abuela. I loved how supportive her family was, how realistically difficult it was for her to learn how to use her superhero skills, and how complex the resolution was for such a fun silly story. A lot to love in this little book!

I would recommend this to pre-teens and up.
Kim Baccellia
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVED! A fifteen year old receives super powers during her Quinceanera party. What's great about this book is Lupe isn't the so-called 'perfect' superhero, but one that is like any other teen. Just loved this so much!
Emmaj
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, graphic-novels
I love the concept of only having powers for a short time - why has no one thought of this before?
It completely changes the way one deals with suddenly having powers.
Also, female lead with actual curves who wears a costume that is practical and covers everything? Yes please!
Lizanne Johnson
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
YA, super hero 15 year old girl, coming of age, family, friendship, latinx
Ashley Kempkes
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure, comic-books, gn, poc
I'M NOT CRYING YOU'RE CRYING (ok maybe I'm crying a little). I loved this!!!!!!!!!! I cant recommend it highly enough!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Cat's Cafe: A Comics Collection
  • Camp Spirit
  • Primer
  • All My Friends Are Ghosts
  • Snapdragon
  • Enola Holmes: The Case of the Missing Marquess
  • Rascal
  • I Left The House Today!
  • Kodi (#1)