Start by marking “Resurrection (Skulduggery Pleasant, #10)” as Want to Read:
Resurrection (Skulduggery Pleasant, #10)

Resurrection

(Skulduggery Pleasant #10)

The skeleton detective is coming back to life...again! It's the tenth, triumphant novel in the Skulduggery Pleasant series, and it will rearrange your world.

Skulduggery and Valkyrie are back in the tenth instalment in the best-selling Skulduggery Pleasant series - an incredible and unexpected treat for the legions of fans around the world.

We can't say much but we can say t
Published June 1st 2017 by Harper Collins Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Resurrection, please sign up.
Pato Depends who you ask really. While it is a little bit different from the rest of the series: Val is more insecure and story revolves around her even…moreDepends who you ask really. While it is a little bit different from the rest of the series: Val is more insecure and story revolves around her even more than the other books, Skul is more of a major side character, replaced by Omen Darkly as the 'other' main character. And majority of the time Skul is, er.. 'incapacitated' so the book is very different than the first series. I quite like this new way of writing, and I know many who agree. It's different, yeah, but a good different and even if you prefer the writing style of the first series it's still a cracking read. If you loved the first series then you are pretty much guaranteed to love this, in varying degrees! (less)

Kat ♡
Aug 07, 2016 marked it as to-read
MET DEREK LANDY TODAY FOR HIS BOOK SIGNING AND I ASKED ABOUT SP10!

HE SAID THIS COULD BE ONE OF MANY MORE OMFG
Niki
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book let me down.

Mom voice: I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed. (spoiler: I am very mad, and also disappointed)

I can't say I was looking forward to this book very much. I knew Derek Landy would probably fuck it up, because he did exactly what JK Rowling did: they both wrote a successful series (although SP isn't as popular as HP, still), they tried to "move on" (The Casual Vacancy, the Demon Road series), their new books weren't nearly as successful, so they went right back to their success
Atlas
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is how I'm going to die, she'd realised. On my knees

* * * *
4 / 5

I didn't expect for there to be a tenth book to the series, but I am very glad that there is. I think it has quite a different vibe to the previous few books and it's lacking a few old favourites (like Tanith or Scapegrace), but I did enjoy Resurrection. Whilst the plot isn't that great, maybe on par with Dark Days or one of the earliest books, it's made up for by a much more mature consideration of Skulduggery and Valkyrie.

"

I WILL RISE AGAIN.
Dana Salman
Dec 31, 2016 marked it as refuse-to-read
2018:
You know the Pirates of the Caribbean films? I really like those movies. That is, I liked them when they were a trilogy, that had a nicely wrapped up story and a satisfying finish and a plot that made sense (whatever anyone else says about the second and third films being too "complicated"). There's two more movies now, but I like to just pretend they don't exist. Not because they're terrible or anything (I don't remember a thing from the fourth movie from how boring it was and I didn't wat
Moonie
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites, own

There's a very bitter part of me that wanted to hate this, set it on fire, and be free from skeleton hell forever. She did not get her wish, but she will be writing parts of this review, lmao. So. To start with the less fun discoursey bits:

It is clear to me - that even though personal pleas were ignored and/or not handled well - the backlash against Desolation was heard and addressed. The representation in Resurrection is not perfect. But it's decent. It's an improvement. It's clumsy so
Grüffeline
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MEIN HERZ! OH MEIN GOTT! DIESES ENDE! WIE TOLL WAR DAS BITTE?!
*räusper*
Ähem. Was wollte ich eigentlich sagen, bevor das Fangirl in mir diese Review an sich reißen konnte? Gefühlte Ewigkeiten ließ Derek Landy nach Band 9, der ja eigentlich der letzte sein sollte, auf neue Geschichten von Skulduggery und Walküre warten. Endlich endlich endlich gibt es mehr Futter und es enttäiuscht nicht.
Die Geschichte ist spannend, wird nicht langweilig, es tauchen neue liebenswürdige Charaktere auf, altbekannte
Helen
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Updated review (March 2018):

Okay, so I just read this book again for the Rereadathon, for the category 'read a book to give it a second chance', and I'm so glad I did, because I definitely enjoyed it a lot more the second time around.

I feel I may have initially done the book an injustice. I was so hyped for it that I read it extremely quickly and as a result found it convoluted and hard to follow - whereas this reread was spread over several days and that worked for me. While I still feel that t
Melissa
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017, favorites
Oh my god I really don't know what to say. It just made me so happy to have my precious dorks back. Skulduggery's and Valkyrie's friendship is as always the ultimate friendship of all friendships and makes me feel all the feels. This series means so much to me and I love them all so much my heart's gonna explode. ok bye
Duso
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-english, luv
Let.them.kiss.
Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.
Molly Mortensen
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Resurrection starts out strong. Though I was afraid when Valkyrie's POV starts with her acting so crazy but her PTSD doesn't impact the book too much. Valkyrie and Skulduggery back together was perfect!

I liked the advances in magic and I'm Roarhaven (mage city). The school was fun and the new kid, Omen wasn't as annoying as I feared.

Many old characters were missing but I didn't mind. I figure they'll cameo later.

The Bad:

The new bad guys were too over powered with our protagonists too weakened.
Aleshanee
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, jugendbuch
BÄMM. Was für ein Neustart!

Nach dem abschließenden, sehr genialen neunten Teil der Skulduggery Reihe dachte ja jeder, jetzt ist Schluss. Sehr schade, aber es war so ein mega tolles Reihenfinale - und wie sehr hab ich mich gefreut, dass Derek Landy doch wieder die geliebten Charaktere "auferstehen" lässt! :D

In der Verlagsinfo steht ja, dass Neueinsteiger problemlos ohne Vorkenntnisse mit diesem Band starten können und dass es auch eher eine "neue Reihe" ist - dem kann ich mich allerdings nicht an
Emily Rennie
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, lgbtq
I started reading this series when I was 11 years old - I got the first one as a Christmas present and fell in love immediately. From then I was obsessed, finishing the new one in a day and then having to wait a whole year for the next one (no regrets). So when the 'final' book came out two years ago I had no idea what I was going to do with myself.

...And then Derek Landy announced this. Resurrection. A new era of the Skulduggery series.

I was a little apprehensive. Excited, but nervous. I can h
Nella
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I WOULD LITERALLY KILL FOR THIS BOOK

(okay, maybe not, but I still really want it)

update: not as good as the last two books in the series but still very very good. I like that we really get to se Valkyrie dealing with the fallout of what happened with Darquesse, and that it addressed how shitty it actually was of Skulduggery to allow a literal child in on his "adventures" and what consequenses it had. Also inclusion of actual confirmed lgbt characters, yay!

Did not like as much that we got a bunch
Bilbo Baggins
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Id never thought that a Skulduggery Pleasant book would get anything less than 5 stars.........
But here we are.

It just wasn't..... Ugh. Some things need to end when they are supposed to end. Ya know? Initially I was thrilled when this book was announced, but after rereading the series, I realized how much I didn't want anything to change. But Ya know, I'm not in charge of that haha. I don't have to read it, if I don't want things to continue 😂 so... Yeah...

Well....
It was just a huge disappointm
Katie.dorny
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I genuinely don’t understand why some people hated this book. I loved it!!
And I’m slightly valduggery trash; but in a platonic way I promise.
Also Omen Darkly is adorable and I hope he’s a recurring character.
Here Valkyrie is a lot more mature and my age - which made her very relatable for me. Her PTSD and return from America was so realistic and quite harrowing in some places. Don’t read this if you’re looking for a light hearted fantasy book.
Nikki
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A BIG SKELETON THUMBS UP FROM ME!!
Dante Gallo
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Skulduggery Pleasant ended... It was done, finished, story concluded, characters riding off into the sunset... And yet when the author ran out of money/ideas we got a resurrection... And what emerged from the grave was hideous and wrong.
I don't think I've ever given a Skulduggery Pleasant book lower than four stars before but this one really broke me. I can't stand it when authors return to their book series after few years when it was blatantly obvious that they had no prior intention to do so.
Emily
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
ACK OK I HAVE ABOUT 789 FEELINGS AND THEY'RE NOT ALL POSITIVE.

SO.

THIS BOOK.

{Also seriously, DO NOT READ WHAT IS UNDER THE SPOILER TAGS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ ALL THE BOOKS INCLUDING THIS ONE. Seriously, man. Sometimes I just dip under spoiler tags for the lolz, if it's a book I think I'll never read, BUT DON'T DO IT HERE, SAVE YOURSELF AND READ THE BOOKS, OK? OK.}

Not sure where to begin?? Probably with my expectations for Resurrection. They were high, fam. Really high. I finished my Skulduggery rer
Daisy
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Quality Rating: Four Stars
Enjoyment Rating: Five Stars

Of course, the release of Resurrection worried me immensely: what if my beloved series was getting pulled out too far, too thin, what if it wasn't quite the same anymore? But, even though Roarhaven and the magical community is very, very changed from what we left, even though there are new characters and altered favourites, even though the tone is a little different, the heart and soul of the Skulduggery Pleasant series is there. We weren't c
Canksilio
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Unfortunately, I was fairly disappointed by this book. It wasn't a bad book, but it definitely wasn't up to the bar set by the rest of the series, and it honestly felt like more of a setup book than anything. I enjoyed it for the classic Val and Skulduggery banter, and learning more about the world itself, but the plot and new characters I'm not exactly blown away by. I'm going to go into some specifics about what I wasn't too fond of in this book, so spoilers ahead. Do not read this review if y ...more
daisy
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3-3.5 stars, I think.
Overall... Kinda disappointed by this.
I adore this series and its characters a lot, but this book kinda just felt a bit sloppy.
Anyhoo! It's late and I'm tired, so RTC later!

I'm lazy and sick and cbf typing out a proper review, so have some pros + cons dot points!! The major spoilers will be hidden, but there might be minor ones below, so be mindful of that.

pros:
- Casual LGBT + nonbinary rep!! Nonbinary character and a gay married couple, and those things aren't the entirety
Simona
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg, forever-library
THE TEAM IS BACK! <3
THE TEAM IS BACK! <3

Derek is back to doing what he does best!

This book is everything I could have hoped for.
Resurrection is fast-paced and gripping with a laugh a minute as Valkyrie and Skulduggery's friendship is tested like it has never been before.

A new evil is rising but our heros are still reeling from the effects of the last series's finale.
Derek deals with these issues in an exceptional way and proves that no matter what, your friends will always be by your sid
Sure Degree
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I was really excited for another Skulduggery adventure but I was disappointed by the amount of virtue signalling, especially considering this book is targeted at a younger audience.

The pronoun switching with Never was confusing and unnecessary to the story, sometimes on the same page I had to stop to figure out who the author was talking about. I was also disappointed by the Flanery/Trump allusions.

I read this book to enjoy the adventure of its characters, not to be impressed by how progressiv
Христо Блажев
Възкръсване за Валкирия и Скълдъгъри Плезънт: http://knigolandia.info/book-review/v...

По своя минорен тон началото на “Възкръсване” прилича на осмата част, “Последната битка на Мъртъвците”, когато Валкирия се предаде и почти загуби себе си. След грандиозните събития от последния том тя се е оттеглила от хората и света и лекува раните си – когато някой се сеща за нея, то е за да се опита да я убие. Споменът за Даркесата бавно се превръща в легенда, а това, че двете носят един и същи лик, не я вдъ
Deborah
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was very disappointed in this new installment. It didn't have anything that made the previous ones fun. Both Stephanie and Skulduggery were completely incompetent for no reason -- the action sequences were almost uniformly them being punched in the face a lot until they lost. For the most part, they didn't even try to fight back. When Skulduggery did (once), he was too dazed from being punched in the face to do anything. About the only magic he ever did was fly around; I can't remember once he ...more
Ashleigh
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm so happy this series is back!!!!
Derek Landy is an Irish writer and screenwriter. In addition to the bestselling children's/YA series of Skulduggery Pleasant books, a supernatural mystery series starring Skulduggery Pleasant, a skeleton detective, and Valkyrie Cain, a young female magician, he has written two screenplays that have been made into films: the IFTA award winning "Dead Bodies" and the IFTA nominated "Boy Eats Girl". L ...more

Skulduggery Pleasant (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Skulduggery Pleasant (Skulduggery Pleasant, #1)
  • Playing with Fire (Skulduggery Pleasant, #2)
  • The Faceless Ones (Skulduggery Pleasant, #3)
  • Dark Days (Skulduggery Pleasant, #4)
  • Mortal Coil (Skulduggery Pleasant, #5)
  • Death Bringer (Skulduggery Pleasant, #6)
  • Kingdom of the Wicked (Skulduggery Pleasant, #7)
  • Last Stand of Dead Men (Skulduggery Pleasant, #8)
  • The Dying of the Light (Skulduggery Pleasant, #9)
  • Midnight (Skulduggery Pleasant, #11)
“Oh my God.” Valkyrie shook her head. “I need to sit down.” “You are sitting down.” “I need to sit down more.” 10 likes
“Razzia: what is the time?” Razzia nodded. “Time is a social construct designed to derive order from chaos.” 9 likes