Start by marking “Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)” as Want to Read:
Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)

Secondborn (Secondborn #1)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  13,877 Ratings  ·  1,117 Reviews
Firstborns rule society. Secondborns are the property of the government. Thirdborns are not tolerated. Long live the Fates Republic.

On Transition Day, the second child in every family is taken by the government and forced into servitude. Roselle St. Sismode’s eighteenth birthday arrives with harsh realizations: she’s to become a soldier for the Fate of Swords military arm
Published August 1st 2017 by 47North

To ask other readers questions about Secondborn, please sign up.
Amy Bartol Hi, Christine! Good question! Secondborn leans toward the new adult fiction genre. The heroine is eighteen years old and it's a coming-of-age story.…moreHi, Christine! Good question! Secondborn leans toward the new adult fiction genre. The heroine is eighteen years old and it's a coming-of-age story. It could also be considered an edgy, young adult dystopian novel. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Vroom
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Emily May
Aug 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2017
The challenge with writing this review is trying to organize my many many notes into something coherent. I picked up Secondborn because I like to check out the occasional buzz book on Goodreads. This one has been popping up all over my feed and seems to have pretty good reviews (plus I'm auto-approved on netgalley, which didn't hurt!). But the more I read, the worse it seemed to get.

Don't get me wrong, I feel like Bartol has the potential to write a book I'd really enjoy. Parts of the story were
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This book was my Kindle First pick for July. I picked a good one this time =)

****SOME SPOILERS****

This is actually the first book I have read from this author. I do know she has some other popular books out there that I plan on reading at some point.

This book is about Roselle. She a second born. Her brother, Gabriel and is the first born. The first born are the popular and special ones. And even though Gabriel would have liked to be in the military so to speak, it's Roselle that has to go and
 ⚔ Sh3lly - Cranky Crone of Rabid Hedgehogs and Fire Breathing Kittens ⚔
Review also found at the Dust Off Your MacHalo Blog.

Nine Fates of the Republic rule: The Fate of Virtues, Fate of Swords, Fate of Stars, Fate of Atoms, Fate of Suns, Fate of Diamonds, Fate of Moons, Fate of Seas, and Fate of Stones.

The Virtues rule over all. Swords = military and might. Stars = technology. Atoms = medical. Diamonds = entertainment and journalism. Stones = service-oriented. (I’m not sure that the book goes into what the others specialize in.) This book focuses mainly on the Sword
R.K. Gold
2.5/5
0-50% was 1/5
51-80% was 2/5
81-100% was 3.5/5

This review will contain spoilers so if that bothers you do not read on.

If the ratings are not clear to you all I mean is that I struggled to get into the book early on, but there was at least something compelling me to finish. Though none of the characters (especially Roselle) stood out to me there was something about the world that made me want to at least finish this book.

Unfortunately, this book did fall flat in some regards. There was very li
Rae
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites, audiobook
So I did an audiobook reread of this before starting Traitor Born because when trying to remember all the important details I couldn't for the life of me and I hate going into a book in a series without the previous one fresh on my mind. What suprised me with this second read was that I STILL had no clue what happened or was going on in the first at least 40% of the book. I remember having the same problem the first time I read this. Its like once you get clear of the jumbled mess that the begin ...more
Cheryl La Pa
4.5 stars. Loved it!
Secondborn is set in a dystopian world where there are only two tiers of society – the firstborns who rule and the secondborns who serve the firstborns. Thirdborns are forbidden.

I was entertained and spellbound from the first page and there were enough surprises and twists to keep it unpredictable and intriguing. The romance was sweet, though it did not dominate the story, which was more focused on Roselle trying to survive being a secondborn and seeking a way to improve the
Christa
I had to reread this before I started book two and it was even better the second time.

Secondborn is a dystopian where parents give their second born child to the government. Because of this, importance is given to the firstborn child while the second born child is neglected. Our main character Roselle is a second born. Her mother is the Clarity (leader) of her Fate (caste system).

Due to her mother's high ranking, Roselle is a very famous second born. She has been a media darling from an early
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
5 solid stars

I had forgotten how much I love Amy’s books. It’s been a long time since I’ve read one of her stories but now I’m already on the ARC of Traitor Born as I can’t stop anymore!

I have to thank Michelle Chen as she recommended this book when I was busy with the “Bests of 2017” challenge. I looked into it and the blurb plus the gorgeous cover had me immediately buying the book.

What is it about?
It’s not PNR or Fantasy but it’s happening in another time or context where Firstborns have it a
BookwormBritty
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
I loved the Kricket series, so I had high hopes for this book that it ultimately did not live up to. But because I'm an eternal book optimist, I may still read the next one. In summary, it read somewhat more like a rough draft of a book than the finished product.

THE GOOD:
The main thing it had going in its favor is that while I was reading, I was engaged. I cared what was happening, and the plot had its merits. I liked that Roselle was tactical and strong, even if she cried a little much for my
Mindy Lou's Book Review
I loved this! This was a great start to a new Dystopia series and I had a really hard time putting this down. I listened to the audible version and have nothing but good things to say about the narrator. I am limited to when I can listen and if I had the time, I would have listened straight through to the end.

I'm a fan of this kind of series and I especially love a female warrior. I really liked Roselle's character.
The unfairness to her situation and all Second Born situations makes you root h
Robin
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Familiar story

I read this via Amazon Kindle First Reads.

I found "Secondborn" very like other popular dystopian books about teenage girls--almost to the point of not finishing the book. Select people get all the privileges, and the rest are basically slaves in need of a savior/hero.

Naturally, our protagonist is blessed with incredible fighting skills, she is reluctant to fill the hero position, and she doesn't have any choice.

Neither, apparently, does she have any choice but to fall madly in lust
Beth
May 14, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
14.05
I'm putting this back on my TBR until I get a physical copy, I think there's a lot going on and I can't keep up properly.

Hopefully I can get around to this sooner rather than later, because what I DID get I'm kind of intrigued!
--------
Nadhira Satria
dnf @20%

The main character has a personality of a goldfish.
Beth Hudspeth
Kindle First book. I was so proud when I saw Amy's book on there!

This is a unique dystopian. I liked it, but some parts seemed drawn out. Looking back at other Amy Bartol series, she usually starts out a little slow to build up to the juicy part so I bet book 2 and 3 will be awesome. I will definitely continue the series and I can't wait for the next to come out!
Heather
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced. Mysterious. Heart pounding. Romantic. Bartol takes all of these attributes and weaves them together with a delicious sci-fi/dystopian that produces Roselle, a secondborn child whose life no longer belongs to herself in a world where firstborns are revered. Conscripted into the military by her ruling mother, Roselle quickly learns that there is a power struggle afoot within the Fates hierarchy and that she just might be one of the pawns at the center of it. Rather than stand back and ...more
Kindling Micky
DNF @50%

I have tried repeatedly with this book, returning to it to read a bit more and unfortunately I cannot cope with the slow pace and lack of connection with the MC. I have been bored to this point. I truly am disappointed considering my love of the kricket series. I have decided that rather than continue to labour, DNF it is with a rather heavy heart.
aria [dear darling reader]
MANY THANKS TO 47NORTH FOR PROVIDING ME WITH THIS REVIEW COPY IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW

FINAL RATING: 4.25

Now I know that it was only a fantasy. I’ll never be one of them. I’ll always be just a secondborn, a shadow, soon to fade from their lives.

Secondborn is a pleasant surprise!

When I requested this book on Netgalley, I thought the synopsis sounded great, ratings on Goodreads were high, so what could go wrong, right?

Despite the intriguing synopsis, I wasn't expecting much from this
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
ETA 4/18/18: Re-read so I could start Traitorborn, now that it's released. And good thing, too, because I forgot soooo much! :P

****

There is just something about a book by Amy A. Bartol. They're just so fun and entertaining and always leave me wanting more. I loved her KRICKET series and I'm still hoping there's another book forthcoming, but I may have enjoyed this book even more. It was so engaging! I loved the world -- despite being a dystopian, which I kinda swore off for the longest -- and th
Sara Morris
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Everyone: Roselle no.

Roselle: Roselle yes.
Kelly
I have read everything I can by Amy Bartol. Her Premonition Series is my go to series whenever I have book issues. I love the worlds she creates. I love how she develops tension in her characters’ relationships. I love her strong female characters.

I thought the story was interesting with the caste system and how they used their secondborn children as slaves. I really enjoyed the sci-fi dystopian feel it had going on. There are plenty of twist and turns to keep you interested. Mrs Bartol is know
Amy J Romance Author & Reader Events
Read early through Amazon prime.

Honestly I was a bit concerned through the first 25% of the story due to the similarities to The Hunger Games and the devotion to world building. I kept on reading and am so happy I did. World building is a part of every PNR/Fantasy/Dystopian story, personally I tend to get impatient with it especially when a great story is looming in the background. Due to the brilliance of Amy Bartol I fell head over hills with her world and the story of Secondborn.

I have so m
Amanda Kratz
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It felt a bit like hunger games at times (and I have a feeling the next one really will), but still there was lots of action, good political manipulation, a touch of romance (although seriously everyone is in love with her and we have at least 3 potential love interests - and I see the good & bad of all 3)

Okay but first let me address the big white elephant in the room and talk about the general concept. So in this story families are limited to 2 kids (that’s it)
Mel (Epic Reading)
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-netgalley
This is a frustrating 4 stars for me because it should be 5. Secondborn is a wonderful dystopian teen novel that belongs alongside Divergent, Hunger Games and the Maze Runner; up until it shatters itself for no good reason.

Amy A. Bartol does a really good job of setting up her dystopian society (though a poor job of explaining why society is that way but I can overlook this miss) and helping us to understand the hierarchy of firstborn, secondborn and (god forbid) third or less born. She illustr
Lillian ☁ Cloud 9 Books ☁
***** 4.5 Stars *****

"Never, ever trust the pack."

Although Roselle is from a powerful family, she has no rights because she isn't the firstborn child. Everything is chosen for her. Her mentor trains her from a young age so that she could fight in the military. Her clothes are selected to obtain a certain reaction from the citizens. Even her speeches are prepared for her.

When Roselle finally leaves her unloving family for the military, she makes new friends and also new enemies. Her life gets pu
Ashlee » Library In The Country
4.25 (Reread on 12/21/17 - I still love this!)

Let me start by saying that Amy is the author of one of my favorite series (the Kricket Series) and I find that I really enjoy her writing and storytelling. Naturally, I was really looking forward to picking this book up when it was released.

Needless to say, it did not disappoint. The story is fast-paced and had several crucial plot twists that I did not see coming but really enjoyed. The characters are relatable, realistic, lovable and even a littl
Jen: Reads Past Her Bedtime
I L.O.V.E.D this book.

It might not be for everyone, but Amy Bartol’s The Premonition series is one of my favorites because of how she writes and she carried her wonderful writing into this book.

The story building is so great... even reading the glossary at the ending shows you how invested and creative Amy is as a writer.

I got major Hunger Games vibes from this book but it was original enough to not make me care. The main character; Roselle was a strong female lead who finds herself in interes
Megan

There are two things wrong with Amy Bartol's books. 1.) They end. 2.) There is a finite amount of them. She always creates such rich worlds and characters, and they always leave you wanting more, more, more. Just be forewarned that you will experience a book hangover immediately after finishing this one. I can't wait for the next book in this series--so excited to see where Roselle's story will lead next!
Ian
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Young Adult Dystopian Science Fiction.
Who'd have thought it.

I tend to like books that stand on their own. I want to be able to read a series out of order without it mattering. I want resolution. I hate open endings and cliffhangers. There are a few reasons this book should annoy me but it's saved by likeable characters.
Olga Zbranek Biernátová
Rozjezd, rozjezd, instaláska, o rok později, zrada, bitka, rebélie, intrikaření, láska, konec... meh
Dirty Dayna
4 Fates of the Republic Stars
I love this new spin on a Dystopia world. It is like the author took all the different dystopias (Game of thrones, Red Queen, Divergent and the Hunger Games and creating a world that has a bit of all of those in one story.

This story is about Roselle St. Sismode who is a secondborn she is sent away to serve as is her duty as a secondborn and leaves behind the only family she has ever known (Dune who isn’t biologically family). Roselle has been video tapped for the w
Author of the Secondborn Series:

Indebted (Book 3)
Incendiary (Book 4)
Iniquity (Book 5)

Author of the Kricket Series
Under Different Stars (Book 1)
Sea of Stars (Book 2)
Darken the Stars (Book 3)

The Divided - A Science
More about Amy A. Bartol

Secondborn (3 books)
  • Traitor Born (Secondborn, #2)
  • Rebel Born (Secondborn, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Six Wakes
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Whatever it is that’s making you cry, look away from it. It doesn’t have you. I do.” 5 likes
“It’s no good hating them. They can’t feel it, and it will only turn you bitter.” 1 likes