Start by marking “The Edge Chronicles 6: Midnight Over Sanctaphrax: Third Book of Twig” as Want to Read:
The Edge Chronicles 6: Midnight Over Sanctaphrax: Third Book of Twig

The Edge Chronicles 6: Midnight Over Sanctaphrax: Third Book of Twig (The Edge Chronicles: The Twig Saga #3)

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  5,781 Ratings  ·  119 Reviews
Twig Verginix has gained a formidable reputation as the young sky pirate captain who dared to sail over the Edge. But far out in open sky a storm is brewing. In its path lies Sanctaphrax – the great floating city tethered to the land by a massive chain.

Twig has learned of the approaching danger, but a perilous voyage destroys his sky ship, hurling his crew into and beyond
Published July 6th 2006 by Corgi Childrens (first published October 5th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Edge Chronicles 6, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Edge Chronicles 6

Charlotte May
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Edge Chronicles have been an absolute gem of a find!
A fantastic third instalment of the Twig trilogy!
Sanctaphrax is in danger - its walls are falling apart piece by piece and the high academics have no idea why.

"In our madness we are devouring each other."

Meanwhile Twig and his crew on board the sky ship Edgedancer have gone in search of Cloud Wolf, Twig's father.
What follows is a non-stop adventure filled with the most imaginative creatures and characters I've ever come across with some
Mikayla
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great read from Paul Stewart and wonderful art as always. Though up to now I've figured that the first and/or second books in each trilogy is usually better than the third (just with my experience).

Still a fantastic book though, love the series so far and give 4 stars.
Charlyn
Sep 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Gr. 4 and up
Twig knows his father's ship has gone beyond the Edge and that's where he must travel if he wants to find his father. Now the captain of his own sky ship, Twig has the vessel tethered to a caterbird, following his father into the vortex of a horrid storm. His crew is a group of devoted followers who trust their young captain with their lives. Twig finds his father who, before he disappears, imparts to Twig the importance of saving Sanctaphrax. Twig and his crew are tossed from their ship by the ...more
Lisa
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, as always.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Midnight Over Sanctaphrax (The Edge Chronicles #3), Paul Stewart, Chris Riddell (Illustrator)
Justyn Rampa
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell continue to win my heart in book three of "The Edge Chronicles". This book concludes "The Twig Saga" and what a conclusion! Although things did not work out quite as I had predicted, I very much loved this book!

If "Stormchaser" was concerned with urban infrastructure, then "Midnight over Sanctaphrax" is concerned with slavery and the evils therein. Pretty heavy commentary for a "children's book" in my opinion. I don't mean to give the impression that this is a fict
S.
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Twigs Geschichte aus dem zweiten Band geht nahtlos weiter und so ist das Buch von Anfang an spannend. Dabei werden parallel zwei Handlungsstränge erzählt. Zum einen droht ein Sturm sämtliches Leben des Klippenlandes auszulöschen, zum anderen verliert Twig erneut seine Mannschaft, die sich über das ganze Land zerstreut. Wird Twig es gelingen, alle Mitglieder seines Himmelschiffes lebend wiederzufinden? Und wird es ihm gelingen, die Folgen des großen Sturms zu verhindern?
Auf seiner Reise durch das
Marsha
With each new venture into the Edge world, Mr. Stewart has shown us yet another corner of it. In this one, he takes Twig on a perilous journey to find his lost comrades and to the very source of life itself.

Twig’s travels bring him into intimate contact with the workings of the odious slave trade, which had been mentioned in previous volumes. It’s a practice no decent sky pirate ever indulges—but, as Mr. Stewart shows, good and bad people are found everywhere and nothing is safe or certain. The
Ryan
Dec 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
note: mrs. lowery i didnt know how to get three posts on the same book for one week so i am doing them all in one post.

Post 1: Twig and Cowlquape are looking around in undertown. They are looking for there lost crew members when they come across a small tavern. In this tavern there are Flat head goblins herassing the owner and are scaring the customers. Twig and Cowalquape kill the goblins and free every one. Also they find one of Twigs crew members.

Post 2: Twig cowalquape and tarp are trapped i
Mar 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
I think I'm done with these books. They have been disapointing. I'm just not excited to read about the "real world" horrors they are introducing to kids. Greed, politics, environmental disasters caused by people, slavery, psychotic murderers... I find the plot detail doesn't keep up with the detail to the scenery and gruesome brutality. Somewhat main characters keep dying off only to be replaced by similar characters (three books = three banderbears). I no longer feel a sense of shock or sadness ...more
Negin
Feb 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s not the book. It’s me.
These days I seem to have a very difficult time focusing when it comes to certain types of books - classics, fantasy, and any fiction that’s not particularly engaging. I have to say that I’m disappointed in myself.
This book, the third in the series was good. I would have enjoyed it far more if only I’d been able to focus. I’m debating whether to continue with the series or not. I’m not usually the series type (other than Harry Potter and the Ken Follett series).
Eric Ure
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Eric by: Joe Ure
Allyson Tuggle
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think what I love most about the Edge Chronicles...

The fact that it's middle grade, fun, whimsical, and almost fluffy but yet it still has this hard 'edge' (not intended but I'll take it) to it. It's dark and almost gritty at times. If it needs to have a bit of 'gore' or death it does. If bad things need to happen they happen. Everything doesn't just work out. Our characters have hard times and have to work for a 'happy ending'.
Ari Fe
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book, recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy!
Bethany KC
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I just re-read this after reading it as a child, and I can definitely say it's quite dark and heavy considering it's a children's book - but it was still quite enjoyable even now.

I read this book before the first one in the series, which still works because whilst they're all interlinked, each book works perfectly as a standalone as well.

The illustrations are amazing, and the universe the story takes place in is full of danger and wonder. I think the setting is my favourite part of this book.
Lori March
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is like taking a vacation to another world where the reader has the delight of discovering new laws of nature. Floating rocks, flying pirate ships, thought reading creatures, beautifully dangerous environments, and an unending supply of new characters keep interest high. Easy read because it was written with children in mind and has do-good morals. I would recommend the Twig stories to anyone looking for a bit of fun.
Cait
These are pretty dark books. There's no guarantee that any characters will make it out alive.

Cowlquape kind of annoyed me. I sort of blamed him for (view spoiler) but I like that he became (view spoiler).

Last in Twig sequence but I want to know what comes next for them all.
Dylan Jones
May 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is not a book I would recommend to other people. It contained a lot of fantasy and action,, which are both things I like, but I believe that the plot was a bit sloppy. At some moments the plot went too fast, and I couldn't keep up, and at other moments the plot was reviewing over things that weren't as important to the story. This might be because I didn't actually read the first two books in the series, I just found this on my bookshelf (I don't even know how it got there) and started read ...more
Yushibo
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was the book that got me into reading and I'm glad. Not only because the story was amazing, but also the characters and different creatures. I hope I'll make some time and reread all three of them.
Frieda
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is so much going on its something incredible. The travels to find what Twig was looking for, are hard and arduous. Life is not easy here.
Star Shining Forever
I have read Beyond the Deepwoods, the first book in the Twig saga, but I (unintentionally) skipped the second book and read this, the third. But I found it was pretty good as a stand alone (though some introduction to its world is nice, and you appreciate Twig more knowing about his background). It's REALLY helpful that there's a short recap/summary/intro at the beginning of every Deepwoods book. Brings you up to speed and informs of the most important developments.

I enjoyed this book more than
Nigel
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-ya
This is certainly the strongest book of the three, although part of that is it paying off all sorts of karmic debt built up over the previous two books. Twig suffered enormously, lurching haplessly from adventure to adventure, most of them horrendous and horrible, then when finally things seem to go his way, he contributes, unwittingly, to disaster and the loss or death of most of the existing supporting cast. No sooner is book three underway than it all goes horribly wrong again, but this time ...more
M
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, childrens
This was a pretty good conclusion to the original Edge Chronicles trilogy. There are a few plot problems created by having it follow on immediately from the previous one. Mainly, in the second book, the big problem is that the water in Undertown is polluted, and now suddenly it's drying up without anyone making any mention of that in book two. Plus, I still don't feel all that attached to most of Twig's crew, aside from the Stone Pilot, since they're threadbare characters. Cowlquape, however, is ...more
An Odd1
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
"Midnight over Sanctaphrax" (Edge Chronicles, Twig 3) Scary phrases from Paul Stewart evoke nightmares and fanciful line sketches by Chris Riddell blow with hurricanes power, here more fearsome than funny: hungry halitoads, mannilids, rotsuckers, and skullpelts p280. Seeking his lost sky captain father Cloud Wolf, battered by sorrow, fear, anger and joy from Mother Storm's center, young Twig and his crew shoot out like glowing stars with no memory of any encounter. Ignorant of the approaching ap ...more
Miriam
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Miriam by: My Boyfriend
Alex
Oct 23, 2014 rated it liked it
This book by Paul Stewart takes a certain appeal for a reader to enjoy fully. It has action, to a certain degree, but didn't really get my attention, it did not have enough build up to really grab me. It did have some cunning double bluffs, but at times is was too predictable, for example, when Twig and Cowlquape were on the skyship of Thunderbolt Vulpoon, and he gave them woodgrog to "help them sleep" it was pretty obvious that it was poisoned in some way. And when Thunderbolt Vulpoon said they ...more
Conan Tigard
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very happy to finally return to the Edge for more adventures with Twig as a Sky Pirate. Having loved the previous two books (Beyond the Deepwoods and Stormchaser), I couldn't wait to see what adventure Twig was going to go on next. Finally, he is captain of his own ship, but that doesn't last long as it is destroyed rather quickly. But I love a good search and find book, and that is what this story is about: searching for Twig's lost crew mates.

There is plenty of adventure to be had in thi
April
Dec 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone young of heart
The third book in the Edge Chronicles, this one went as fast and as fun as the previous two! Drawn to this series by the artwork on the cover and throughout the pages, along with the clever snippet on the back cover, I have stuck with it because of the wonderful adventures found within!

Twig is the best kind of hero, one that does it because it's the right thing to do... for his own heart and for the people around him that he loves. Loyal and true, he's the type of fellow you want as your sky shi
Nat Howler
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Twig is now a sky pirate captain in his own rite. At the end of the last book, he searched for his lost father and found him in the heart of an elemental, life seeding storm. The storm absorbed Quint into its energy, and Twig and his crew were expelled in the forms of balls of light, which flew all over the Edge.

Twig wakes up in the Stone Gardens not remembering a thing. He's determined to search for all his lost crew members no matter what it takes. What results is a tale of great loyalty, hero
Elizabeth
Jan 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, children-s
Stewart has the knack of making each book fresh by introducing new characters, creatures, and new places with each book. Riddell’s illustrations, as usual, really give an extra visual component to the world of the Edge. The plot was a strong adventure/hunt that was fun to read. Stewart is really hitting his stride here, delivering stronger and stronger writing with each book. Also, Cowlquape is awesome.

The Twig trilogy is, I think, the weakest in the whole series. They are good books, yes, but t
GREAT BOOK!!!! 4 12 Dec 13, 2011 02:32AM
edge chronicles rp: the posting pole 2 5 Dec 13, 2011 01:57AM
  • The Dragon's Apprentice (Dragonology Chronicles, #3)
  • Candle Man: The Society of Dread (Candle Man, #2)
  • The Dragon's Lair (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #3)
  • Otto and the Flying Twins (The Karmidee, #1)
  • The Rise of the Black Wolf (Grey Griffins, #2)
  • Wilma Tenderfoot and the Case of the Putrid Poison
  • Merlin (The Young Merlin Trilogy, #3)
  • Emlyn's Moon (Snow Spider, #2)
  • The Search for Truth (Erec Rex, #3)
  • Lost (Magic Thief, #2)
  • The Princess of Trelian (Trelian, #2)
  • The End of Time (The Books of Umber, #3)
  • Mothstorm (Larklight, #3)
  • Misty Gordon and the Mystery of the Ghost Pirates
  • Ogen van tijgers: een toekomstroman
  • Black Dragon Codex (Dragon Codices, #3)
Paul Stewart is a highly regarded author of books for young readers – from picture books to football stories, fantasy and horror. Together with Chris Riddell he is co-creator of the bestselling Edge Chronicles, which has sold more than three million copies and is available in over twenty languages. They have also collaborated together on lots of other exciting books for children of all ages. The F ...more
More about Paul Stewart...

The Edge Chronicles: The Twig Saga (3 books)
  • Beyond the Deepwoods  (The Edge Chronicles: The Twig Saga #1)
  • The Edge Chronicles 5: Stormchaser: Second Book of Twig
“Everything passes. Joy. Pain. The moment of triumph; the sigh of despair. Nothing lasts forever - not even this.” 22 likes