Start by marking “रश्मिरथी” as Want to Read:
रश्मिरथी

रश्मिरथी

This ebook is from Lokbharti Prakashan, a noted publishing house of Hindi literature.
Published by Lokbharti Prakashan (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about रश्मिरथी, please sign up.
Yash Mishra You can go for its explanation in simplified Hindi. I have Ashok Publication's Dinkar aur Unki Rashimrathi. (Address: 2615, Nai Sadak, New Delhi)…moreYou can go for its explanation in simplified Hindi. I have Ashok Publication's Dinkar aur Unki Rashimrathi. (Address: 2615, Nai Sadak, New Delhi) (less)

Start your review of रश्मिरथी
Asra Ghouse
What can one say of Dinkar? Such unequaled is his style!

Rashmirathi is, like how Arundhati Roy puts it in The God of Small Things:

"The secret of the Great Stories is that they have no secrets. The Great Stories are the ones you have heard and want to hear again. The ones you can enter anywhere and inhabit comfortably. They don’t deceive you with thrills and trick endings. They don’t surprise you with the unforeseen. They are as familiar as the house you live in. Or the smell of your lover’s
Himanshu
Nothing short of extraordinary. It is saddening that hindi literature of such stature will only find itself under the dust of historical achievements of mankind, for the generations to come. And to see it crumbling in front of our eyes is truly heartbreaking.
Onaiza Khan
This book was way beyond my reading level (in Hindi) but despite that, I enjoyed it thoroughly. Reading in Hindi had always felt like a task to me before but this book felt different. It actually made me feel more connected to my language and homeland.

The intrinsic descriptions and the powerful dialogues of Dinkar form an unusually beautiful narrative. I would go so far as to say that Dinkar has super-epified the greatest Indian epic by his rich and insightful writing. What else can I say...
Priyanshu
“जब फूल पिरोए जाते हैं,
हम उनको गले लगाते हैं”

This poem is that garland. Ramdhari Singh Dinkar Sahab's lyrical, much deserved, eulogy to Karna.
Aishwarya Dhaigude
This book is just amazing!!! I got to know about it through facebook since I had liked a few pages on it. I was just enthralled by the lines that were posted from this book. Fortunately I could immediately get it and read it in one stroke. Rashmirathi is the first hindi book I have ever read and probably the best too. I have always been a huge fan of Karna and Mrityunjay and Rashmirathi have deepened my respect and admiration for him. One can read this book over and over and still find it ...more
Rishabh Tripathi
I would not take the credit off from Piyush mishra for popularizing the parts of this epos. if you have not seen gulal as well, it is the chapter where Krishna goes to duryodhan and asks rajya for the pandavas and on the refusal of duryodhan gets angry and challanges him for the battle. This chapter beautifully captures the aggravated emotions of the otherwise tactical Krishna and the fear he inculcates in the Sabha.

well thats with the popularised chapter but the rest of it is equally
Bharat Jain
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I came across this book after watching this video, in which Manoj Bajpai beautifully recites verses from one of the chapters of Rashmirathi. The book eulogizes Karna, who is well-known not just for his skills and prowess as a warrior but also for his generosity and unrelenting pursuit of Dharma.
Recite it. Each verse is filled with rhythmic music and will leave you delighted.
Garima Yadav
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read it in it's original language-Hindi and also listened to its recitation. It is one of the best books I have read. I wish more people read it.
Vikalp Trivedi
"Rashmirathi" by Ramdhari Singh Dinkar is a phenomenal poem based on the life and moreover struggle of the most underrated character of the Mahabharat - Karn . The poem is composed in Veer-Ras and is composed so brilliantly that it literally gives goosebumps to the reader .

I've read some books based on the Mahabharata in which Karn is one of the chief character . But those books mostly portrayed the tragidies surrounding Karn's life and on the other hand this books portrays the stand of Karn
Shishir Chaudhary
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who knows Hindi
Shelves: favorites
Whatever you are doing right now, stop, buy this book and read it as early as possible - A one line summary of what this महाकावय is and deserves. Many of us have read a small section from this as a part of recommended school reading, the most memorable line being -

जब नाश मनुज पर छाता है
पहले विवेक मर जाता है।
(When the end of a man is nigh,
His common sense is the first to die.)

Composed by one of the greatest Hindi language poets of all times, it is about the most controversial and powerful
Abhimanu
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for veer ras lovers.
Akash
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the way he has written the poem is unparalleled.
A marvelous piece of writing of our times.
Shubham Joshi
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Rashmirathi' or 'The Sun's Charioteer' is an epic Hindi poem based on the story of Karna, a pivotal character in the Hindu epic Mahabharata.

Penned by Ramdhari Singh 'Dinkar', the national poet of the country, Rashmirathi is a Maha-Katha-Kavya, a poem that tells a philosophically dense and psychologically engaging story in a lyrical fashion.

Dinkar was a champion of the 'Veer Ras'; a poetic flavor that prioritizes struggle/war as a necessary ingredient of a person's success.

The entirety of the
Anshul Goel
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book just blew me over. It was out of this world. Shri Dinkar ji has described Karna, probably the tallest character in Mahabharata, beautifully. He has taken those conversations of Karna which in a sense had established Karna as a revered figure. Prose he has used to described Karna's conduct took my breath away. This is not a book that one reads and forgets instead it is d one that one would like to carry with oneself.
This book has not only made me a huge fan of Ramdhari Ji but also has
Samrat Gavale
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hindi
This is one of the best pieces of poetry I have read in a while. I read the original version in Hindi. For a long time, I had ignored this book thinking of it as just another story of Karna. But I was so wrong. It highlights so many different colors that paint a human life. Through a captivating description of various incidents in Mahabharata mainly centered around Karna's life, the poet Dinkarji goes on to talk about honor, love, destiny and about the depths to which human characters fall in ...more
A Man Called Ove
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dinkar's Hindi is a bit difficult even for me despite having Hindi as my mother-tongue. I really wish they would provide meanings of typical words in simple Hindi. Might help many more to read and appreciate this wonderful book.
Pulkit Yadav
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Beautiful and moving.
Abhishek Shekhar
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indian
Full of energy motivation and rhyme. This is a masterpiece and a book to be kept with you.
Baidhurya
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hindi-literature
Best poetry book (in Hindi obviously).... I don't think the story of Mahabharata could have been presented in poetic form in a better way than in the book....
Farozan
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully musical and poignant!
Manish Kumar
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the masterpieces of hindi poetry
Shur'tugal Argetlam
I was first introduced to this beautiful epic here :
After searching for this on kindle for many months and then finally finding it, I was delighted to find this as soul stirring as a poem on Karna should be.

Based on one of India's most celebrated mythological heroes, this poem is an ode to friendship and a man cursed by fate, but also molded his fortune with the strength of his arms.
If I may, here are four lines that show the depth of admiration and
Devanshu Vashishtha
Surya sarthi ,this book take you to the journey of the life of karna how this warrior of great age fighting from all pride and prejudice of society , fought humility from the people, though he have all quality of a great warrior still because of his identity always faced discrimination. Young warrior who knows he is able to rule the world. he have the best qualities a man can ever have.
but one mistake of his life butraying his teacher became a cause of his downfall a warrior who was also
Kirti Aggarwal
Phenomenal , a composition that I don't have the ability to praise, such a wonderful use of words, such depiction as can't be compared, it feels as if the story comes live in front of you or you feel like you have been transported to that place ,that era. Such an honest, just AMAZING. no composition in any language can stand equal to it.अदभुत,अवरणनीय अपरतिम, सराहनीय, परशंसनीय, वंदनीय, ...more
Tarun Rattan
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ramdhari Singh Dinkar is the national poet of India and in this lyrical poem written in 1952, he covers the life of Karna (Sanskrit: करण), the tragic hero of Indian epic Mahabharata, the record of war between Kauravas & righteous Pandavas. Life of Karna has always intrigued Indian psyche, he was the best of warriors i.e. Digvijaya but also famous as Daanveer i.e. the greatest giver of all time.

Karna was the son of Surya (the Sun God) and princess Kunti (later the Pandava Queen). He was
Vishnu Singh
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite book. I always keep this one in bag. Whenever i feel demotivated i read this and this give me a little push.
Sudhankar Raw
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life of karna has been explained in an excellent way. Every line increases the blood flow
Gaurav Mishra
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vani
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rashmi Rathi is an epic poem, a mahakavya, singing the lore of Karna, the unsung hero and one of the greatest humans portrayed in our epics. Reading this book is such a mesmerising experience, you realise how important rhythm is to a work of poetry, that too such an important one. This grand work is soaked in veera, bibhatsa and raudra rasas and flows with a lavish usage of atishyokti alankar alongside many other tools of poetry. What is even more surprising is that many verses, in fact complete ...more
Mrunal
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Karna and everything related to him is very very dear and close to my heart.

This is a must read book for poem lovers as well as those who love Karna like me. He is the epitome of Courage, Humanity and what not. The most heroic person I have ever admired.

As for the writer I do not have words to express how beautiful this work is. This is the first book I have read of Dinkar and I have become a huge fan. Awesome must read.

Loved the book!

• कामायनी
  • तमस
  • Nirmala
  • डार्क हॉर्स
Ramdhari Singh 'Dinkar' (September 23, 1908 – April 24, 1974) was an Indian Hindi poet, essayist, patriot and academic,[1][2] who is considered as one of the most important modern Hindi poets. He remerged as a poet of rebellion as a consequence of his nationalist poetry written in the days before Indian independence. His poetry exuded veer rasa, and he has been hailed as a Rashtrakavi ("National ...more
“दो न्याय अगर तो आधा दो,

नर भले बने सुमधुर कोमल,
पर अमृत क्लेश का पिए बिना,
आताप अंधड़ में जिए बिना,
वह पुरुष नही कहला सकता,
विघ्नों को नही हिला सकता.

उड़ते जो झंझावतों में,
पीते जो वारि प्रपातो में,
सारा आकाश अयन जिनका,
विषधर भुजंग भोजन जिनका,
वे ही फानिबंध छुड़ाते हैं,
धरती का हृदय जुड़ाते हैं.”
20 likes