Asra Ghouse's Reviews > रश्मिरथी

रश्मिरथी by Ramdhari Singh 'Dinkar'

Jul 09, 2011

bookshelves: must-reads, indian-fiction
Read in June, 2011

What can one say of Dinkar? Such unequaled is his style!

Rashmirathi is, like how Arundhati Roy puts it in The God of Small Things:

"The secret of the Great Stories is that they have no secrets. The Great Stories are the ones you have heard and want to hear again. The ones you can enter anywhere and inhabit comfortably. They don’t deceive you with thrills and trick endings. They don’t surprise you with the unforeseen. They are as familiar as the house you live in. Or the smell of your lover’s skin. You know how they end, yet you listen as though you don’t. In the way that although you know that one day you will die, you live as though you won’t. In the Great Stories you know who lives, who dies, who finds love, who doesn’t. And yet you want to know again. THAT is their mystery and magic."

There can be no other way for me to put Rashmirathi's tale. Worth mentioning here is the view Dinkar take on Karna. Ah! Pleasure to the reader (especially to me. Karna is my favourite character!)

इस ओर कर्ण मार्तण्ड-सद्रश,
उस ओर पार्थ अन्तक-समान
रण के मिस, मानो, स्वयं प्रलय,
हो उठा समर में मूर्तिमान|

The way Dinkar strings up his words, it forms the most precious necklace of verses in the tale. It is like seeing it with your own eyes. For instance,

निशा बीती, गगन का रूप दमका,
किनारे पर किसी का चीर चमका|
क्षितिज के पास लाली छा रही है,
अतल से कौन ऊपर आ रही है?

Overwhelmed I am, whenever I read Dinkar!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read रश्मिरथी.

04/26/2016 marked as: read

Gourav Kumar This poem was a delight to read. Totally agree with you.

message 2: by Gopi (new)

Gopi Very well written piece. Your quote from The God of Small Things made my day. Thank you.

Asra Ghouse Gopi wrote: "Very well written piece. Your quote from The God of Small Things made my day. Thank you."
You're welcome :)