Start by marking “Leviathan Rising (Pax Britannia, #2)” as Want to Read:
Leviathan Rising (Pax Britannia, #2)

Leviathan Rising

(Pax Britannia #2)

In the closing years of the 20th century the British Empire's rule is still going strong. Queen Victoria is about to celebrate her 160th birthday, kept alive by advanced steam technology. London is a fantastical sprawling metropolis where dirigibles roam the skies, robot bobbies enforce the law and dinosaurs are on display in London zoo. Welcome to Magna Britannia, a steam ...more
Published March 16th 2008 by Abaddon (first published March 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Leviathan Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leviathan Rising

edifanob
May 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books, 2009-reads
This is the third book of the PAX BRITTANIA series
and it is the second adventure of Ulysses Quicksilver.

This is the blurb:
"Around the world in eighty days in style!"

This proud claim, made by the Carcharodon Shipping Company, is about to be put to the test as its newest and most magnificent submersible cruise liner, the Neptune, sets sail on its maiden voyage around the world. Among the great and the good who have been invited to join this historic cruise is Ulysses Quicksilver, dandy adventure
Jana
Nov 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Chilling story people who like a good mystery and thrill!
The first book I bought in this series was the seventh, which is out of character for me because I like to read series in order but the blurb and the cover and everything about it just told me that this was something special. I was not let down. Jonathan Green is an amazing author and his skill of crafting words with such fluency and inspiration is a rare one. I am now gradually acquiring the whole series.

I was given the first two last Christmas and I know it's quite a while ago now but I can st
George
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I CAN’T GET ENOUGH! Book 1 of this series, ‘Thy Kingdom Fall,’ provides background and sets the stage for an all too possible future where the Government uses all means available to secularize the United States of America, removing religious obstacles necessary to exercise total power. Book 2, ‘Stars and Scorpions,’ focuses on efforts by followers of Judaism (Stars) and those of Catholicism as practiced in Mexico (Scorpions), to defend their faiths against external pressures: attacks against Jud ...more
Alexandra Peel
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thrilling adventure. Steampunk(ish), Horror(esque).
Ulysses Quicksilver is a cracking hero. All the expected cliches of the Victorian style dandy, bon-vivant, but written in a manner that makes him feel so very real and original.
Jonathan green has a way of writing that is reminiscent of good old fashioned writing styles, his world, though utterly fantastical, is utterly believable.

* Took me longer to read than necessary as the print is quite small in my edition, plus, I have multiple books on th
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Even though the beginning of the first act is pretty slow (the appearance of VIP passengers on board of the Neptune was one of those boring things), the second and the third act saved the day.

(view spoiler)
Donna
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jonathan Green will take you on a wild ride with a crescendo that lasts the whole last half of the books. I was eagerly gobbling up every piece of his story, but the only reason I didn't land it a 5 star is because I figured out his mystery long before dear Mr. Quicksilver did.
Joe Longstaff
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-my-bookshelf
Some more brilliant writing from the impressive Jonathan Green. No more needs to be said.
Jānis
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great sci-fi opera with an oldschool feel. Story before tech. Hope the rest of the trilogy are as good.
Michael
Oct 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
I was going to give this book two stars, because at least it is pacey and, I guess, kind of exciting at parts, but my conscience just won't allow it. Because below the very shallow exterior of an average James Bond novel filled with cliched characters (non of which are particularly likeable) and plot points (all of which are completely predictable), lies something rather unpalatable. I was enticed by this because the premise seemed rather steampunk. Victoria is somehow still queen after almost 2 ...more
Kate Gillogly
Jun 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
I love scifi and alternative histories, so I thought I had a winner when I started this book. The prologue is set on a tramp ship smuggling opium TO Britain (google "steps to opium production" to see why this thrilled me!).

If you read because you like good writing, then avoid this book. After the promising prologue, you'll be dropped into a world of writing in which characterizations consist of the hero going around the dinner table listing key points of each character to himself, and the autho
Paul
Jul 11, 2008 rated it it was ok
With his Ulysses Quicksilver character, Jonathan Green appears to want to have some sort of steampunk James Bond, with superpowers, in mind. Unfortunately the idea has gone very stale very quickly.

The characterisation is flat and, although I ploughed through until the end of the book, I really didn't find myself caring about what was going to happen. The identity of the villain was so apparent from so early on that I'm not sure whether the final reveal was supposed to be a surprise or not.
John Montagne
Apr 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
Another dreadful attempt to write steampunk by Green. Author has the main character (the lame hero named Ulysses Quicksilver), pretty much lead the reader by the hand in regard to other characters/events. No new ideas really... this leviathan is amongst the flotsam of steampunk. The writing itself is dull and the characters even more so.
Tim
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Very predictable....figured it out in the first 100 pages...will try one more to see if they are more satisfying.
Philip Chaston
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Those who gasp at the theatrical unmasking of the "villain" here need psychiatric help. Never was insanity so implausible!
John Hobkinson
Nov 18, 2012
Christos
Nov 10, 2012
Steve Towns
rated it did not like it
Feb 18, 2016
Apr 05, 2014
Burke Burke
Mar 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Ghosts of War (The Ghost, #2)
  • God Emperor of Didcot (Chronicles of Isambard Smith, #2)
  • The Steel Tsar (Oswald Bastable, #3)
  • Morlock Night
  • Wild Cards and Iron Horses
  • Camera Obscura (The Bookman Histories, #2)
  • Captain Nemo
  • Expedition to the Mountains of the Moon (Burton & Swinburne, #3)
  • The House of Storms (The Aether Universe, #2)
  • Full Steam Ahead
  • Flaming London
  • The Constantine Affliction
  • The Exile's Violin (Tethys Chronicles, #1)
  • Escapement (Clockwork Earth #2)
  • Tesla's Signal
  • Voltaire's Calligrapher
Jonathan Green is a writer of speculative fiction, with more than seventy books to his name. Well known for his contributions to the Fighting Fantasy range of adventure gamebooks, he has also written fiction for such diverse properties as Doctor Who, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Warhammer, Warhammer 40,000, Sonic the Hedgehog, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Moshi Monsters, LEGO, Judge Dredd and Robin ...more

Pax Britannia (8 books)
  • Unnatural History (Pax Britannia, #1)
  • Human Nature (Pax Britannia, #3)
  • Evolution Expects (Pax Britannia, #4)
  • Blood Royal (Pax Britannia, #5)
  • Dark Side (Pax Britannia, #6)
  • Anno Frankenstein (Pax Britannia, #7)
  • Pax Omega (Pax Britannia: El Sombre, #3)