Start by marking “Shakespeare's Champion (Lily Bard, #2)” as Want to Read:
Shakespeare's Champion (Lily Bard, #2)

Shakespeare's Champion

(Lily Bard #2)

There's something rotten in Shakespeare... — Lily Bard was running from shattering memories when she moved to Shakespeare, Arkansas. Now cleaning houses pays her bills. Working out helps her heal. Still protecting her scars, she hides a hard body and impressive skill at martial arts under baggy sweats. And nobody knows how strong she is until racial violence has her lookin ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 214 pages
Published December 5th 2006 by Berkley Books (first published December 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Shakespeare's Champion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shakespeare's Champion

Start your review of Shakespeare's Champion (Lily Bard, #2)
Jilly
Apr 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
There are certain books that haven't appealed to me because of the descriptions of the main character's hobby or job because in order to make the character "real", we need to see them doing these things with details on the activity. That is the case with Lily Bard. She does two things a lot: cleaning and working out. I have no problem with these things, exactly, but I find it dull to read about the minutia of doing them.

It's a sickness..

So, get used to the idea of reading about every rep she doe
Hallie
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
[Editing because I slipped into the descriptors of race used in the book, which I shouldn't have done. Not good.]

As I said in my brief write-up of the first Lily Bard book, I had to try not to be too critical just because I was comparing this series to Julia Spencer-Fleming's series. The second book was less slight as a mystery, but it had more of the problems that had bothered me in the first, as well as a whole new set.

Firstly, there was the slut-shaming, with Deanna, as before, the chief sham
Emily
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2013
I'm glad Charlaine Harris and I are pals again. I was hoping that would happen if I picked up some of her older stuff. Lily Bard is a great character: taciturn, blunt, brave and tough. In the first two books, I've enjoyed seeing her come out of her shell, befriending (or more accurately, allowing herself to be befriended by)both men and women after keeping to herself for so long. And it's all because of murder. Thank you, murder!

This time around, I didn't figure out anything before it was reveal
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Kind of annoying when, as you're reading the first part of a book, you are thinking it's a four-star read, but in the second half it bumps itself down to three stars.

First - it's a small thing, but I was surprised and a bit bummed everyone in town found out her secret since the last book. I'm guessing it was from wagging tongues at the police department. The tension of everyone not knowing added an interesting twist.

Lily is awesome in ways, annoying in others. Unlike Sookie, she is without much
Lauren
Shakespeare's Champion
4.5 Stars

Still waters run deep in Shakespeare, Arkansas and when Lily Bard finds the corpse of the local body building champion, little does she know that the discovery will uncover a web of the most heinous evil in her seemingly innocuous small town.

The second installment in this cozy mystery series is just as appealing as the first, although the mystery is definitely darker and more violent with several truly sad and shocking moments. At this point, it is necessary to pr
Wanda
I would rate this book just a touch below the first book, maybe 3.5 stars, perhaps because I am now familiar with the setting and with Lily. I still like Lily a lot and she continues to surprise me. Harris introduced a love triangle at the end of the first book and I was anxious to get reading to see where it went. Boom! (view spoiler) ...more
Dec 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
Birgit
Apr 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Digging into my mystery book stacks, basically choosing the books by blindly picking a random one I came across this second part of a series by Charlaine Harris.
I must confess that the first couple of pages were everything but promising. Dead body in the local gym and the heroine Lily Bard is heavily into workout herself. Not exactly the kind of starting point I warm up to easily. But then, after more pages I simply couldn't put the book down. While Lily is far from being a likable person, she
Karen ⊰✿
I quite like Lily, and I like how Harris creates these small town USA locations with a dark side.
This book was pretty slow, and there were some pretty shocking small-minded characters, but I had to keep reminding myself of the book setting and when it was written. The audio narrator does a great job, and I enjoy listening to this on the commute. A pretty solid addition to the series, and I will continue on to book 3 as I've become invested in Lily's future ;)
Melissa Cochrill
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in this series and the author has brought up difficult subjects in both books. It was a quick read, but not a very surprising ending.
Judy
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I discovered this series late last year when I was reading some books dealing with Christmas. I am nearly compulsive about starting a series with the first book, but SHAKESPEARE'S CHRISTMAS is the third book of this series. I enjoyed it so much, I have now gone back to read the first two and will continue with the others. Lily Bard is an interesting woman who is recovering from a violent physical attack, and has chosen to live quietly supporting herself by cleaning houses. And she is developing ...more
Lauren Stoolfire
Shakespeare's Champion (Lily Bard #2) by Charlaine Harris is shaping up to be a pretty good mystery series so far. I've read quite a few books by Harris so far, and while this isn't a favorite series yet it's still nice to see what her non fantasy/ paranormal style is like with a real world set mystery. I will say that of this installment that the first half of this book is a solid 4 star read but the second half knocks it down to a 3 unfortunately. The mystery is pretty solid even if it spirals ...more
Yolanda Sfetsos
Jan 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
This is the second book in The Lily Bard Mysteries Omnibus, and I enjoyed it as much as the first one. It starts off with a pretty macabre murder, and things only get more dire from that point.

Lily Bard is a maid. She cleans the houses of a lot of the families around the small town of Shakespeare. She's content with her job, enjoys keeping other people's homes tidy and making money for herself. But more importantly, it's a job she can do on her own, without having to work with or for anyone. Her
Jet Silver
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
(view spoiler) ...more
Regina
2.5 stars. This book is just not good very dissapointing. I would have quit the book if I hadn't bought it. At least I did not know who the murderer was until the end, and I do enjoy how Harris writes Lily's daily task and duties. Harris has a knack for writing about daily chores -- like cleaning, cooking and exercising and making them not only interesting to read about but inspiring as well. After reading a Lily Bard mystery I always feel like cleaning, exercising and cooking! However, everythi ...more
Tracy
I like Lily Bard a lot. She is cranky and complicated. I had read this a few years ago and I didn't recall all of the racism in it. Lilly Bard isn't racist but I guess it endemic in Arkansas and this book explicitly looks at this issue.

Lily Bard ends up caught in an investigation into a group trying to form a white supremacist militia. It's ugly stuff. This was written 20 years ago and I don't suppose it's any better. If anything it is worse. I think my awareness of this ugliness is heightened
Carol
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved The Sookie series and so tried Lily Bard. I read #1, which I thought was pretty good. Number 2, maybe not so much. For one thing, I don't like Lily nearly as much as I did before. I liked that she was independent, but now she's hopping into bed with people she barely knows. What's with that? The race issues, too, were a problem. Lily is supposedly "Shakespeare's Champion," but I was not so impressed. I did enjoy the mystery itself and felt it was well-plotted. We all knew Charlaine Harri ...more
Daiva
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
The first part of the book was quite good, I did consider (for a moment) giving it 4 stars, later on settling for 3, but as you can see in the end well... at least it is more than one star, right? Let's look at this in a positive way - I didn't hate it. But did I like this one? Honestly, I don't have an answer to that.
Meigan
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another adventure in the world of Shakespeare, Arkansas. Lily stumbles upon a fellow resident, Del Packard, dead inside Body Time. It appears that his death may have been accidental, as he is found on a weight bench with the bar fallen on his neck. She is automatically pulled into the mystery because a) she was the one who found him, and b) she can't leave well enough alone.

There is also trouble brewing in Shakespeare. A young black man by the name of Darnell Glass was murdered (his murder didn
Tatiana
Apr 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
A man is found dead in the gym where Lily regularly works out. At first it's written off as an accident (the body found suffocated under the weight of a barbell), but later it appears to be a part of a larger series of racially motivated crimes.

This is by far the worst of Charlaine Harris's books I've read. The beginning of the book feels true to the first book in Lily Bard series, but gradually the story just gets simply out of control. Church bombing, torture, hate crimes, way too much crime t
Elyse
I listened to this book every second I could! In the car, at the grocery store, while cooking, while folding laundry so I finished it in less than 24 hours! I'm loving this series! It starts with Dell Packard but ends with sooooo much more!! This book was a maze of mystery! One thing I didn't get...there was a semi backstory about Jack but it wasn't enough for me. It so did not explain why Lily immediately felt so close to him...when he was just another scandalized Memphis-ite. I didn't see thei ...more
Rachel Groves
Nov 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Well I do love Charlaine Harris books it's official! I've already read the Harper Connolly series and am half way through Sookie Stackhouse (trying to pace myself through that series) and now I'm loving Lily Bard too.

Lily makes me want to get super fit so I can fight and makes me want to clean everything in my house. Another enjoyable story with Lily at the centre despite her not wanting to be and some changes in her love life too (not going to spoil that!).

It's not high brow literature but it's
Elisa
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I officially love this series.
Lily Bard is for sure the most badass woman in the world, the only flaw she has is that she seems to be a magnet for dead bodies... and hospitals. I was incredibly happy to see a softer side to Lily and I am very pleased with the way her personal life was developed in this book.
This book also introduces a new character, a detective - Jack Leeds - that, as it seems, it's going to stay around for a while. He's also as damaged and Lily herself.
This book is packed with
Jackie Lane
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Okay, so as much as I really enjoyed that last Lily Bard book, this one fell a little short for me.

For some reason, I did not connect as well with the characters and I felt like the story hopped around a little too much for me as well as things not seeming to flow as easily.

With that being said, I still enjoyed the book and I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.

I'm excited to see what misadventures Lily is going to get herself involved in. She always seems to be in the midst of all
Carolyn F.
Mar 31, 2011 rated it liked it
I don't usually mind dark heroines, especially all that she's been through, but boy-o-boy this woman is so depressing. She rarely smiles, gives short curt answers to normal questions and still has men throwing themselves at her. I'm not sure Jack is good for her. He's so .... uber male with no sweetness. Actually now that I think about it, he's like a male Lily. Don't opposites attract? I'll just see how this relationship goes in the next book.

I'm going to take a Lily Bard break and listen to t
Cherie
Apr 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the Lily Bard Mystery series. I'm really beginning to like Lily cuz she kicks ass! :P Granted, I may not always agree with her "need to be alone" attitude but I can understand where it comes from. Like the other reviewers, I liked this one a bit more than the first one as there was definitely more action here, and more setup there. ...more
Eloise
Dec 02, 2008 rated it liked it
There is something about this book that I didn't like as much as the first. I kept wondering if I missed a book. Thing were explained later but it was disconcerting. Now I will know what to expect from the next book.
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was surprised when I realized the main topic of this would be racial ignorance, but I loved how it was handled. There were some great surprises and some really powerful visuals given. And I love the new character introduced, Jack. Seems like I love everyone who has that name.
Jim
Jan 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Another fun, quick mystery from Harris. I'm liking Lily better all the time. She's a little weird, but she beats the rest of Harris' heroines hands down, including Sookie.
Amanda
Jul 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
BOBO! 😭

• Vampires Gone Wild (Vamp City, #1.5; Love at Stake, #13.5; Diaries of an Urban Panther, #3.5)
  • Snow Day (Touchstone #6)
  • Back from the Undead (The Bloodhound Files, #5)
  • A Witch and a Fish (The Grimm Files #3)
  • Killing Rocks (The Bloodhound Files, #3)
  • Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand, #4)
  • Alice at Heart (Waterlilies, #1)
  • Greedy Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #9)
  • Wishbones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #8)
  • Buzz Kill
  • A Field Guide to Homicide (Cat Latimer Mystery #6)
  • Murder at the Dolphin Hotel (A Miss Underhay Mystery #1)
  • Tomes Apprentice (The Tomes of Kaleria, #1)
  • No True Way (Tales of Valdemar, #8)
  • Them Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #1)
  • A Trouble of Fools (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #1)
  • Crucible (Tales of Valdemar, #9)
  • Finding the Way and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #6)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over thirty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Charlaine lives in Texas now, and all of her children and grandchildren are within easy driving distance.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was writing poetry an

Lily Bard (5 books)
  • Shakespeare's Landlord (Lily Bard, #1)
  • Shakespeare's Christmas (Lily Bard, #3)
  • Shakespeare's Trollop (Lily Bard, #4)
  • Shakespeare's Counselor (Lily Bard, #5)