Start by marking “Noodleheads See the Future” as Want to Read:
Noodleheads See the Future

Noodleheads See the Future

(Noodleheads #2)

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  298 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
Tedd Arnold, the guy who does Fly Guy, and renowned storytellers, Martha Hamilton and Mitch Weiss, have done it again: the wacky Noodlehead brothers, who first appeared in Noodlehead Nightmares, are back for a second adventure that brings folktale tomfoolery into the 21st century!

Although Mac and Mac are as hollow-headed as, well, noodles, they are certain Mom will bake th
Published January 30th 2017 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about Noodleheads See the Future, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Noodleheads See the Future

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mac and Mac are two noodleheads who take everything told to them literally - which made me think about our politicians - but small children will enjoy the book on a much more wholesome level.
Joan
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
These stories are loads of fun! They are based on folklore, with specific types of folklore listed in the back. There are 3 hilarious stories in here based on the Noodlehead brothers, Mac and Mac. These lovable guys are intellectual kin to the Know-Nothings by Spirm, and many of the folklore picture books we have in the library. Kids should have lots of fun pointing out the illogical way these two brothers work....such as sawing off the branch they are sitting on for firewood. The language can b ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Weiss, Mitch Martha Hamilton and Mitch Weiss Noodleheads See the Future, illustrated (and co-authored) by Tedd Arnold EARLY READER. Holiday House, 2017. $16. 9780823436736

Aaron
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Silly fun from the Fly Guy crew, which my students love. The author's note at the end was kind of interesting too.
Tara
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A beginners graphic novel by Tedd Arnold who is always a hoot to begin with.
Melanie
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
my kids thought it was hilarious...
Beverly
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-beginners
graphic novel format
Francis Rodriguez
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Noodleheads See the Future is by Tedd Arnold, Martha Hamilton, and Mitch Weiss and illustrated by Tedd Arnold. This book is about two macaroni noodles brothers named Mac and Mac. Their main mission is to dig a garden for their mom, so they have a cake made as a treat. They aren’t brightest in the world and throughout the book, they are very gullible but remain positive throughout their adventure. Noodleheads See the Future won the Geisel Honor Book. I would recommend this book because of the sim ...more
Ro
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This collection of three stories has so many excellent attributes! First, teaching kids what literally means, which is a common expression nowadays that is used incorrectly, couldn't be funnier with the tales of these Noodleheads! Second, any folktale study unit can benefit from comparing the Tedd Arnold twisted tale of the folktales the Author's Note at the end of the book cites as inspiration for each of the Noodleheads' stories. Third, it is written in graphic novel format, which will serve a ...more
Allison
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
From time to time, when I hand a parent a Fly Guy book (Arnold's other early reader series), they turn their nose up at it because it seems too low brow. Arnold has a note in the back of this book, explaining the folk tale origins and inspirations for these stories. He also notes that stories like this help children understand humor and logical thinking. I love books like this where the jokes are not spelled out. The joy of the book is that you understand how figures of speech work and the noodl ...more
Alice
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
At first I thought 'this book is ridiculous' then I remembered it was a Tedd Arnold book and then it became almost hysterical! Read this to kids and then you will hear them say "that isn't right, why didn't they do this..." It is almost like when you tease kids and they are like "not that is not true" like if you put "magic firewood seeds" aka acorn in the ground you will get firewood, it will just take 2o or so years! And well, the motivation for cake...is well, always motivating! Fun graphic n ...more
Michael Rank
May 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphicnovels
The book, focusing on two pieces of macaroni and their adventures, didn't really connect with me. On page one they announce they have no brains because they are literally noodles with holes in the top of their heads. So based on that logic wouldn't they just be sitting there like dead limp noodles? Yes, I know I'm bringing adult logic into this, but when you don't find the humor very funny, it becomes easier to find other flaws.
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
Another zany installation in the Noodlehead series, this time they are in the woods trying to find firewood for the oven when they run into Meatball and trouble arises. Luckily, these hollow headed noodles find a way to fix the problem. In the end, they discovered that sometimes problems have a way of working themselves out. Another fun read, that both my son and I enjoyed immensely!
Teresa Bateman
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great silliness abounds in this second Noodleheads book. 3 graphic novel chapters show the two noodleheads making silly mistakes that help them eventually reach their goal. Arnold's big-eyed illustrations are wacky and wonderful. The stories are madcap and mischievous. Fans of Fly Guy will happily embrace this as their reading level rises.
Kevin Summers
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-reader
I like this early reader book's approach, i.e. re-tellings of old stories, tales, and allegories for contemporary children.
Leslie
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-readers, graphic
A cute beginning graphic novel. I loved the source notes at the end.
Colette Drouillard
Feb 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-reading
The story is well done but the illustrations remind me of cigarette butts & I find it hard to get past this.
Luella Lee
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Silly book indeed. Kids will love it.
Diane
Lots of figurative language that the noodleheads take literally make for fun reading.

Interesting author note talks about the origin of Noodle tales.
Lisa
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mac and Mac are brothers (noodles) who take everything literally. They go to help their uncle but can’t “give him a hand” or “listen up” or understand that the job isn’t an actual “piece of cake” This being said, they want to help their mother (who might bake them cake) so they go into the forest to gather firewood, but instead of collecting it, they cut it from a live tree which is dangerous. When their friend meatball warns them that they will fall, and then they do, they are certain meatball ...more
Ames Public Library Youth Services
Aahh, the Noodleheads! Silly, literal, well-intentioned, and oh-so-cute with their empty macaroni-shaped heads! These are reminiscent of Amelia Bedelia, but they have a sweetness to them that I really enjoyed.

This new series should be a great hit with younger readers--and reluctant readers. Readers will also enjoy pointing out what Mac and Mac are doing wrong, and appreciate that this is a chapter book. JP
Cristina Mrozek
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a SSYRA, Jr. book for the 2018-19 school year. I try to read all of the books on the list each year with my kids at school. I started with this book & I have to say I’m disappointed. It is written with slapstick humor that I suppose the kids will enjoy, but the part that disappoints me is that the main characters are portrayed as really dense & it’s not only ok it’s glorified. I would rather the characters be intelligent & lauded for that.
Rachel Grover
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute! Great for young children and English Language Learners, this book is laugh out loud hilarious. I appreciated that it's an in-between from picture books to chapter books, but also a very beginner graphic novel. The illustrations carry details that add to the humor and kids will find themselves noticing that the main characters really ARE noodleheads. Thanks to the 2018 YMAs for introducing me to this book - now I want to read the first one in the series!
Monica
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I have been using books written by the Beauty and the Beast Storytellers with my intermediate students for several years. Now my younger students can be introduced to the Noodlehead stories as well. The fact Tedd Arnold is the illustrator is a bonus because kids love him. Just plain silly books that kids will love.
Chris Hays
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a super book for the library. My biggest dilemma will be using it as a read aloud or handing it to students. I am not sure how Mr. Arnold comes up with taking old tales and turning them into modern learning, but he does the job in humorous and almost perfectly respectful ways. This will move from the shelves easily.
Lisa
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Maybe I am officially an out of touch old fogey, but I was shocked when I learned that this book won a Theodore Seuss Geisel Award Honor. If Beavis and Butthead were giant noodles named Mac and Mac, this might be their story.
Ang
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
2018 Geisel Honor Book

Themes: Seeing the future/gardening/digging/firewood

This is a funny, silly book about some noodleheads called Mac and Mac and their quest to see into the future. This would be a good book for kids who are just getting into chapter books.
Jesse
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was hilarious! There are so many phrases in the English language that don't make sense or don't mean what they seem to at face value that there are many opportunities to play with them. Berry was a little unsure of the illustrations, but I thought they were fun.
Meredith
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Personally, I did not love it, because folktales about dumdums have always stressed me out. But my kids will find it hysterical. As I was reading, several of the situations seemed familiar; the authors provide great source notes about how these story tropes cross cultures.
Jnase1
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn't care for the part where the Noodleheads were told they were going to die in one minute-although the author's note in the back does explain the meaning behind it. Still didn't sit well with me for it to be a children's book and one that won the Geisel award.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Tedd grew up with three brothers. His family lived on a farm in Pennsylvania for several years then returned to Elmira until Tedd was ten years old. His father's work then required that they move to Gainesville, Florida. There, Tedd's first art lessons in an abandoned dentist's office over the Happy Hour pool hall eventually led to a fine arts degree from the University of Florida.

He and his wife,