Start by marking “The End of the Day” as Want to Read:
The End of the Day

The End of the Day

Charlie has a new job. He gets to travel, and he meets interesting people, some of whom are actually pleased to see him.

It's good to have a friendly face, you see. At the end.

But the end of all things is coming. Charlie's boss and his three associates are riding out, and it's Charlie's job to go before.

Sometimes he is sent as a courtesy, sometimes as a warning. He never kn
Published April 4th 2017 by Redhook

To ask other readers questions about The End of the Day, please sign up.
Dave White I struggled through the beginning, middle and end but thought the book was much like life, worth the effort.
I don't agree with the other folks respond…more
I don't agree with the other folks responding but it might just be me.(less)
bianca
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The End of the Day
karen
Apr 24, 2017 rated it liked it
although i own all of claire north’s previous books, this is the first one i’ve actually read. i’m like the library of congress up in here, just grabbing up all the books for my archives.

her books have always seemed like exactly the kind i would love, but i wasn’t over-the-moon crazy about this one. it is my understanding that it’s kind of a departure for her, and maybe not the best place to start, so i’ll definitely read those others i have lying around before i regret my grabbing.

if you want
Phrynne
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book last night and am still thinking about it today - a definite sign of a good book! However a good book to me might not be so to someone else, and in this particular case I can foresee some big differences in ratings!

Firstly there is no plot so if your books have to have a story that begins and ends you won't like it at all. Secondly there is a lot of emphasis on social and political issues so if your world opinion differs from the author's you might not care for it.

On the oth
Bradley
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm a fan of all kinds of literature, so this one struck me right off the bat as more of a literary fiction fare with a supernatural element than a straight SF or F like I'm used to with Claire North.

That being said, I would completely recommend this for anyone who's a fan of Terry Pratchett's Death and anyone who loves to glide across a very variable surface stretching across all continents and walks of life as Charlie The Harbinger, the One Who Comes Before (Death), hops from plane to plane, c
William
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ten Stars.
Truly incredible and extraordinary.
A Masterpiece.

It's clear that I will never find the words I need for my review of this astonishing book, unlike any other book I have ever read. But please accept these for now, and know that in my heart, they will grow and change and resonate always.

If you've read Claire North before, you know she loves developing new styles, new concepts, new presentations. Much of this book is almost stream-of-consciousness, bits of overheard "modern life" dialog
Justine
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
This is more a sort of philosophical musing on the state of the world and the nature of change than an actual story per se. Charlie is the Harbinger of Death, and his job is to bear witness. This book is essentially a window for the reader to bear witness to Charlie's experiences and feelings.

I like Claire North, and I'm in agreement with her political views -- which are always on prominent display in her books -- but this is a book that I think you will either love or hate. I fall more to the l
Liz Barnsley
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved The End of the Day. I took my time with it, a novel to be savoured for its utterly beautiful writing, gorgeous descriptive nuances and Charlie, the character at the heart of it, one I will never forget.

The world Claire North has built here is one of many levels, Charlie, who takes on a new role as the harbinger of death whilst learning about life, is so wonderfully normal that you just sink into his world feeling like it is all entirely possible. The End of the Day is melancholy, intense
Carly
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"A world has ended, and only tomorrow remains.”
I cannot decide if this was the perfect book at the perfect time or the worst possible book at the worst possible time. And I don't know if it really matters. All I know is that as I watch the world I thought I knew fall apart, The End of the Day was a difficult and emotional but also an oddly cathartic read. It is an anguished, strident call to see the value of humanity, to see all people, even those who devalue others, as people. And if there'
Apr 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
This book was mostly okay, although there was one element I really disliked about it. I loved Charlie, the MC, and I loved this idea of the Harbingers. Charlie witnessing so many things made for a fascinating view of other people's lives. Unfortunately the book also completely lacked a plot, which was annoying.

The element that bothered me and caused me to decrease the book from two stars to one was that a good portion of the story was spent in the U.S. and North is so clearly an outsider. This r
Mogsy (MMOGC)
2 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/04/24/...

I suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later. Let me just start by saying I adored the last two novels I read by Claire North, which is how I know firsthand her reputation for writing unique and fascinating stories. I never know what to expect when I pick up a book by her—only that it will be innovative with a good chance of being a bit weird. Well, it seems my luck with those experimental qualities finally ran out. Th
Nele
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-sale
I'm not quite sure what to think of this book. It wasn't a bad read, I enjoyed it, but I cannot form a very solid opinion on it.
In The End of the Day, we follow Charlie, the Harbringer of Death. He comes before Death, sometimes as a courtesy, sometimes as a warning. In a way, he celebrates Life, and we get to travel around the world with him, which is fun.
At the end of the book, you're left wondering: What is Death? And I cannot quite grasp the concept., although you're forced to think about it
Sarah Joint
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I finished this hours ago and I'm still digesting it. I knew before I finished this would be a five star read for me, but I do understand why some reviewers rated it low. It's a weird book, and it won't speak to every one. But it spoke to me. It confused me, scared me, made me teary, made me laugh, and made me think. I loved it. It's very depressing at times, but others it's uplifting and inspiring.

The Harbinger of Death has a name. It's Charlie. He's just a normal man, who applied for the job
Alexxy (Temporary Hiatus because I'm Writing a Thesis)
Death comes. Death comes, but first the Harbinger comes before.

Charlie is the Harbinger of Death. He is the one who comes before. Sometimes he comes as a warning. Sometimes he comes as a courtesy. Perhaps he’s there for an idea. Or a change in history. Maybe he’s come for the end of something we never thought would stop.

Charlie comes. And Death comes after him.

Death stands behind, and I look forward, and the world looks back and I see it and … the world when it seems me sees
ashley c
Humanizing, endearing, thought-provoking.

Claire North is my new favourite author. Well, she was already my new favourite author after The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August and Touch, but what I’m really trying to say is that after this one, I realize that the first two books were not lucky flukes, and that North really is a consistently great storyteller. She has a way of using everyday things – conversations, little events, interactions – and just making it very touchingly relatable, by using
Kate
Another ingenious novel from this clever writer.

Bandit
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are jobs and then there are jobs. Harbinger of Death is the latter. Fascinating, unusual job that is worth an entire book to follow. If it sounds quirky and whimsical, like certain tv shows or Christopher Moore's books, it really isn't. It's actually quite dark and emotionally devastating of a read. Apocalyptic and eerily timely, the world ending incrementally by stabs of hatred, prejudice, anger, stupidity and ignorance. Harbinger's job is to come before and to see the humanity behind its ...more
Warrengent
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ng
What a intriguing and interesting character Charlie is.
Highly recommend this brilliant novel to everyone but make sure you don't have anything planned, because you will cancel those appointments, my cold is much better now LOL
Paul
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It doesn’t matter who you are, or what you do, eventually we all have to confront the concept of death. You could be a pragmatist, happy to accept that moving from life to death is merely the transfer of energy from one form to another. You could be deeply devout, believing in an all-encompassing deity who will lead you into a far better afterlife. The choice is ultimately your own. The one thing that makes us all the same, accepting that with life comes death. Claire North’s latest is an explor ...more
Bookdrblog
Apr 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
This review and more on my blog https://bookdrblog.wordpress.com

I have read The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August and really enjoyed it so was excited to read this. I have been hugely disappointed. Reading this was a waste of my life. It was a huge struggle to get through and I nearly DNF-ed it so many times. In fact I wrote an entire post about DNF-ing books, and it was inspired by this book.

The beginning of this book is very confusing. There are multiple parts where it seems like the author
Shorty
This novel was difficult for me. While it had this fantastic concept for a brilliant story, it really failed to gel into anything more solid, for me. Either I had some issues connecting to the author, the novel, and the characters, or it was just not as well done as I would have liked. And from the other reviews, I can see,that I'm not the only one whose feels this way about this novel.
The audiobook was made by Hachette Audio, and they used this magnificently talented narrator named Peter Kenny.
Rebecca
Charlie is the Harbinger of Death, a role that involves a lot of free travel and some sticky situations. But really, it’s a job like any other:
When he got the job, the first thing he did was phone his mum, who was very proud. It wasn’t what she’d ever imagined him doing, of course, not really, but it came with a pension and a good starting salary, and if it made him happy…

The second thing he did was try and find his Unique Taxpayer Reference, as without it the office in Milton Keynes said they c
Paul Kearley
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don’t normally write reviews as I’m too busy picking up the next book!
This book however deserves written credit.
After completing the booker long list this year, (and crediting it with some great literature), I found myself picking up this book, only to find it was hands down the best book I have read this year.
The concept Claire North has put together for this book should in itself be applauded, the concept of death is something that humans fear, welcome and maybe even love. The literal tra
Andrea
Mar 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge
3.5★

A very different novel, in a good way. I liked it quite a lot, but not as much as this author's The Sudden Appearance of Hope, which I read a few months ago, so have rated it slightly lower.

Charlie, a regular music-loving guy from Birmingham UK, has an unusual job. He is the Harbinger of Death. The one who goes before, either as a warning or a courtesy. His job takes him all over the world, with all logistics, admin and troubleshooting taken care of by Death's office staff in Milton Keynes..
Bonnye Reed
GNab I received a free electronic copy of this novel from Netgalley, Claire North, and Hatchette Book Group, Inc. in exchange for an honest review. Thank you all, for sharing your hard work, with me.

I was really excited to receive this book for review. Our protagonist is just an ordinary guy who is hired by the Horsemen of the Apocalypse as the Harbinger of Death. What a job! But I was really intimidated after opening the file - over 8,000 words, and 110 chapters! What a read!

And a wonderful re
Mary
Apr 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
I'm really disappointed with this book. I love Claire North's books, but not this one. I persevered for the first third but it didn't get any better. The concept was good as ever, but the execution appalling. The main character was annoying and unlikable. So far it seems like the book is just a vehicle to preach about social injustice and what's wrong with the world. Her writing has changed and has become literary (a criticism) and pretentious to the detriment of her normal amazing story telling ...more
RG
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5*. Again Claire North wows you with her wordplay/writing/language as well as build this amazing concept around again a lovable main character 'Charlie'. I think it was a little too episodic in structure and may have with a few tweaks been better suited for a series of short stories in one self contained novel. Cant wait for her next!
Annie
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
On first impression, Claire North’s stunning and strange novel, The End of the Day, is about death. Charlie is the most recent Harbinger of Death. As he explains it, he goes before as a courtesy or a warning. Through his eyes, we see good deaths and bad—and the longer you read, the more you realize that this is not a book about death so much as it is a book about empathy. I read The End of the Day in chunks over two days. I would inhale the short chapters until I could take no more of its emotio ...more
Carlos
May 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Very ambiguous books with no clear plot and purpose, I mean is it a philosophical view into death ? no , is it a cold hard look into human behavior ? no , is it a good novel with a well developed plot and strong characters ? no. What it is, is a chronicle of Charlie who is the Harbinger of Death and all the complications he goes through doing his "job" per se. Read it if you are into a mood to read an uncomplicated book about a complicated issue , if not I wouldn't recommend it,
Milou
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was quite different from the things I usually read, and it was beautiful.

We follow Charlie as the Harbinger of Death on some of his visits. He goes to Greenland to visit a scientist on the ice, he visits an elderly man and his granddaughter who are being kicked out of their flat in London, he goes to Syria and witnesses the war, he goes to Nigeria to visit a lesbian woman, and he goes to the USA filled with fear of immigrants.

I was a bit hesitant to pick up this book. It sounded so int
Latkins
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must admit I'm a massive fan of Claire North's - I've read and enjoyed all her previous novels, particularly her last one, The Sudden Appearance Of Hope. Initially, I was a bit disappointed with this one, but I think that's just because my expectations of her are so high. It was rather harder to get into than her previous novels, but once I got my head around the central conceit, I really loved it.

Englishman Charlie gets a new job, to be the Harbinger of Death. He has a schedule arranged from
SpookySoto
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
Rating: Bad and boring, didn't like it 😒
Feelings:Disappointment, boredom, confusion.
Recommended if you like: Social commentary / critique in books, non linear and non traditional writing style, magical realism (sort of).
Would I read something else from this author: Yes

I have read 3 Claire North's novels counting this and is the only one I haven't like. One thing I have notice in her work is her ideas, the premise of the novels, are far better than their execution; they tend to be too long and dr
Goodreads Librari...: Kindle edition without book cover art 2 9 Mar 07, 2018 12:36AM

• Waywalkers
  • The Other Lives
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Esthetic Rehabilitation in Fixed Prosthodontics: Prosthetic Treatment - A Systematic Approach to Esthetic, Biologic, and Functional Integration v. 2
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • Beyond the Dragon's Gate
  • Heart and Seoul (Seoul Series #1)
  • Manifesto for a Moral Revolution: Practices to Build a Better World
  • The Extraordinary and Unusual Adventures of Horatio Lyle (Horatio Lyle, #1)
  • Stars and Bars
  • The Choice
  • Little Free Library
  • The Lights Go Out in Lychford (Lychford, #4)
  • Durarara!! Saika Arc, Vol. 1
  • The Midnight Mayor (Matthew Swift, #2)
  • Behind Hitler's Lines: The True Story of the Only Soldier to Fight for both America and the Soviet Union in World War II
  • The Boy on the Bridge (The Girl With All the Gifts #2)
  • Fallible Justice (Wilde Investigations, #1)

Claire North is actually Catherine Webb, a Carnegie Medal-nominated young-adult novel author whose first book, Mirror Dreams, was written when she was just 14 years old. She went on to write seven more successful YA novels.

Claire North is a pseudonym for adult fantasy books written by Catherine Webb, who also writes under the pseudonym Kate Griffin.