Start by marking “This Is Not the End” as Want to Read:
This Is Not the End

This Is Not the End

I wonder if for the rest of my life, I’ll be haunted by beautiful days.

On one cloudless, radiant summer afternoon, Lake Devereaux lost everything. The car crash claimed the lives of her best friend and boyfriend, the people who had become her family after her own fell apart. But she doesn’t have to lose them both.

The development of resurrection technology has changed the w
Published August 8th 2017 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about This Is Not the End, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Aamna Imran
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of This Is Not the End
Richard Cardenas
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS!!!

(WARNING: Minor Spoilers Ahead!)

The GOOD: I've read plenty of YA and I've read plenty of bad YA and luckily this was one of the good ones. The story line was original, thrilling, and made my heart ache in parts. I really enjoyed that the book went from present to past and fleshed out the characters a lot better, especially Lake's quadriplegic brother Matt, who she has a broken relationship with. There's a scavenger hunt that happens in this and though that's not wholly original, it w
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
This Is Not The End is one of those books that from the very first page, from the very beginning, the prologue, jumps out at you and grabs your attention. The kind that urges you to keep on reading, keep turning those pages because you need to know the before just as much as you need to know the after of the events that took place. The start and maybe even the end, of it all.

It is so hard to describe this book without giving something away so I will try to keep this short and to the point. This
Christy
Aug 17, 2017 rated it liked it
The summary of this book sounded so intriguing to me so I couldn't wait to pick it up and while this was a fast read, I was left feeling unsatisfied at the end.

K Todd Ramer
This is an honest review of an e-book arc I received from NetGalley.

*THIS WILL CONTAIN PLOT SPOILERS*

Before I break into my reader/writer analysis, I just want to say that I have alot of feels in regards to this novel, and most are NOT positive. I almost DNF'd it a dozen times, PARTICULARLY at chapter 29 (you know why, author). As for a TOTAL overall star review, this earned 2 stars. For the following reasons:

~As a reader, I want to review in as polite a way as possible, so I apologize if I come
Meaghan
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
First off, I would like to thank the publisher and author for providing me this ARC to review. Please note that the version I read was an advanced copy, and certain events/language may be changed in the published edition.

Stars (Out of 10): 4/10 Stars

Overall Thoughts: I had high hopes for this book, really high hopes. A book about resurrection and a difficult choice? There are tons of way to draw excellent meaning and philosophical ponderings from that. I hoped for a book that would make me thi
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, audio-book-2017
4 stars. I didn't know much about this story before I borrowed it from my library. I was pleasantly surprised by what I read. What a fascinating concept for a story! I'm excited to write my review but know that I did really enjoy this story and agree with the ending.

FRTC

--------------

Full review can be found here: https://agingerlyreview.wordpress.com...

This book caught me off guard. I was not ready for it to be as captivating as it was. I borrowed it from my library because it was a “new releas
Danielle
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
(I received an ARC of this book on NetGalley from the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review.)

Yes. Just… yes.

In this near-future society, each person is given the right to bestow one Resurrection on their 18th birthday. This should come as a relief to Lake after her car crash, but here’s the catch: both her best friend and her boyfriend died, meaning that she now has to choose between them. And, making this even more complicated – she promised her Resurrection to her brother long ago
Jaime Arkin

I’m not sure how you would categorize this novel… it has a very contemporary feel with a dash of sci-fi mixed in. The setting is somewhat vague… you don’t know the exact time period… is it an alternate current world, further in the future… I don’t know, though I’m not entirely sure that’s super important. What is important though is that resurrection technology is now available and there are people on both sides of the fence of the ethics of it.

To regulate this technology, laws have be
Joséphine (Word Revel)
Initial thoughts: This book was absolutely morbid from the beginning right through to the end but amidst it all, it was extremely thought-provoking. What if we could bring loved ones back to life? What would life be like after a resurrection? I think these questions were artfully explored in This Is Not the End.

At the same time, I enjoyed the way the protagonist worked through the expectations placed upon her, her own conscience, as well as her relationships. I did get a little tired of the to a
ClarissaJoy
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it
It's more like 3.5 stars, just to be clear.

Okay....where do I start with this book...I mean, I finished it in 4 days so maybe that has something to do with it. Parts of this book, more towards the beginning, were really hard for me to read. They just reminded me of the horrible pain of losing someone in an instant.

I did also predict the ending kinda early on, so that wasn't exactly thrilling. I thought I was really going to like this book, but it didn't end up that way. It was kinda disturbing
Bianca Damaso
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I really enjoyed this! Despite the "bringing people back to life" aspect, the story reads like a contemporary. I suppose it is just a contemporary with advanced scientific discoveries.

We follow Lake, a seventeen year old girl who is in love with her boyfriend and has the best relationship with her best friend. They have an amazing day together until a car accident leaves Lake the only survivor. With her birthday less than a month away, Lake must decide who she wants to use her resurrection on.
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
THIS IS NOT THE END is a story full of emotions, heartbreak, but also hope and reconciliation as one girl tries to decide who to resurrect on her 18th birthday. It's a powerful story, with complex characters, full of friendship, family, and love. Perfect for contemporary young adult readers looking for a unique story of self-discovery.

This story was definitely intense in parts! It tugged on my heart and brought my emotions to the surface. There were a lot of tough issues and choices. Lots of hea
MsArdychan
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Please Note: I received an advance reader's copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This did not influence the opinions of my review in any way.

When I started reading This Is Not The End, by Chandler Baker, I really didn't know what to expect. Was this going to be a story of love and loss? About making the most of the life you have? A mystery? A tale of one messed up family? Well, the answer is all of the above. I was blown away by this book. The author took some risks
Heather Hughes
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
(4.5 stars)
I received an ARC from Disney-Hyperion in exchange for an honest review.

This is another speed read challenge I completed for myself and I can definitely admit that it was hard to put it down. I really only put it down if I needed to go to sleep or if I had to stretch my legs (I sat on my recliner for three hours, guys).

Lake is a teenage girl who lives in a world where, once you turn eighteen, you can bring back to life only one person. She is turning eighteen in a few short weeks and
Marcie
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it
his Is Not The End is one of those books that definitely make you wonder what you would do if you were in the main character's shoes. Lake had a difficult decision to make. But calling it 'difficult' seems to be an understatement.

Lake Devereaux is approaching her eighteenth birthday. On that day, she'll be able to resurrect one person. A person that has already been chosen for her, even though that person is still alive. But then a tragedy strikes. A car crash claims the lives of her best frien
Reviews May Vary
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
Okey dokey.
There were some awesome parts of this book, including Lake, our main character who has lost a lot in a short time. She has to make a decision that will effect everyone she cares about. There's some great moral discussion stuff here about resurrection without consent, making this a pretty good book club pick, if you need one.

Someone has to be dead. Some people want to be dead. Some people want to be alive, and some people are keeping secrets. At times, it feels like secrets were kept
Lisa
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, arc
This book was moving and brutal and beautiful and sad. The premise is fascinating and delivers on its promise to pull you along Lake's journey...and decision. I loved it as it broke my heart and slowly put it back together. Truly original

Edited to add: There are a few problems with the story I didn't think about initially. One is the message of relationships. I think there is a huge reliance on others that by the end of the story I think gets a bit unhealthy and sends mixed messages.

Still a gre
Lisa Mandina
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure if it's a five or 4.5 star book. But it was really good and hard to put down. Full review to come on Lisa Loves Literature soon.
Lauren Murray
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Thank you, Net Galley and Hyperion Books, for this advanced copy of the novel in exchange for an honest review.

This is a one-of-a-kind, near future dystopian novel that really calls to question end-of-life rights. I love the social justice topics this novel tackles - should people be able to be brought back to life after they've died? Lake is a very believable character, grappling with the grief and complications of her friends' deaths and the loyalty she has to her family. Most vividly, she str
Paige Green
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I received this book from an auction (no I did not buy it as it is an arc. It was included with other items in the package). All opinions are my own.

Rating: 5/5

Genre: YA Contemporary

Recommended Age: 16+ (death, sex, violence, disabilities, suicide, resurrection. Trigger warnings.)

Pages: 384

Author Website

Amazon Link

Synopsis: I wonder if for the rest of my life, I’ll be haunted by beautiful days.

Stephanie Ward
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

'This Is Not the End' is a thought-provoking young adult novel that will appeal to readers of all genres. To be completely honest, I wasn't sure what to expect and I didn't really have high hopes of a great read. I was definitely wrong. I was immediately drawn into Lake's life and world and I felt like I was right with her during everything that happened throughout the story. She's a fantastic main character for the book. I thought she was incredibly realistic and easy to connect with -
Emily O'Brien
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shannon Oakes
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a review copy of this book from Kidlitexchange and I was very impressed. I have never read this author's work until now and I will definitely be looking for more of her books.
This story had such depth to it- the moral dilemma a teenager has to face in the wake of her best friend and boyfriend's deaths and her brother being a quadriplegic due to an accident that happened in the past. Who will her resurrection choice be? Or is it wrong altogether? I love the ups and downs Lake goes thr
Kristen
Mar 05, 2020 rated it liked it
This was such an interesting concept--a world where resurrection is possible...but there's a catch. Each person is allowed only ONE resurrection when they turn 18. So when Lake's boyfriend and best friend are killed in a car accident, she's left with an impossible (and then further complicated) decision.

This part kept me going...because honestly? I lost interest about halfway through thanks to the cheesy scavenger hunt, an ever-more-crowded story line (Will's hiding something, her parents are hi
Kylie Herondale
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
At first I was unsure about this book. Mysteries don't often go well with me. It did not seem like something I would normally read, but I picked it up anyway. And I am glad I did. This book was very touching and inspirational. I feel it touched me directly because I have friendship issues, and this book was mostly based around friendship and lovers. I love how everyone is connected in their own ways. Although you may think ties have been severed between you and another, they can always stay conn ...more
Kristin
Aug 09, 2017 marked it as dnf
DNF at 25%
I've tried. I've read. I've skim/read (you know, when you read and then skim over the wordy "inner thought" parts). I'm bored. I think it's really just me, though. There are quite a few positive reviews for this one but to me, nothing much has happened yet, beyond what we were promised in the synopsis. And Lake? I know she's a 17 yr old but even before the accident, she was a bit bratty. I know it's a character. I guess I'm just not in the mood to read a protagonist like that.

It's me.
Cambear
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A beautiful and sad book about grieving and friendship

Lake has such a clear voice, you sink into this story of grief and the pressures to make the right decision as she has the power of life and death. It's a tough, emotional read, but beautifully written.

There are some plot points/holes that don't make sense to me, but this book is a workout for the heart.

Thanks to the publisher for providing a copy of the book for review.
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Jennie
Cover Story: If All Your Friends Wanted To Jump Off A Cliff…
BFF Charm: Big Sister
Swoonworthy Scale: 3
Talky Talk: Straight Up
Bonus Factor: Scavenger Hunt
Factor: Disability Rep
Anti-Bonus Factor: Patty Chase Award for Awful Parenting
Relationship Status: One and Done

Read the full book report here.
Jacob Cook
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
A story with an intriguing concept, Baker quickly turns this into a page-turner that keeps you guessing what the protagonist will choose to do in the end. Which families she will ease of grief, and which she will leave to suffer permanently. The text deals with a variety of themes and issues, most notably death and the idea of characters playing God in pursuit of their own interests. Overall, a good read.
Sarah Emmelie
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The quality I liked most about this book is the guessing and the mystery. The author doesn't tell you flat out who is the lucky duck, which I enjoyed. I borrowed this book from my friend and along the way, I was asking her about the book and guessing to see what was going to happen next. But of course, she wouldn't tell me. I recommend this book for anyone who wants a fun read that will leave you on the edge of your seat!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Craig & Fred: A Marine, a Stray Dog, and How They Rescued Each Other: Young Reader's Edition
  • Mirror in the Sky
  • Game Changer
  • Extraordinary
  • The How and the Why
  • The Hidden Power of Dandelions
  • The It-Girl (The It Girl, #1)
  • Ironheart (Valentine, #2)
  • Misrule (Valentine, #3)