Start by marking “Last Command (Fallen Empire, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Last Command (Fallen Empire, #0.5)

Last Command

(Fallen Empire 0.5)

In the final days of the empire, Cyborg Corps Colonel Leonidas Adler plans to die in a manner befitting of an imperial officer: he will fight until his last breath, giving his life to defend Emperor Markus. As it was meant to be.

But when the emperor himself summons him for a final special mission, how can he refuse?
Published June 25th 2016 by Lindsay Buroker

To ask other readers questions about Last Command, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Command

Tammie
I loved this prequel to the Fallen Empire series. This should really not be read until after the third book in the series as it gives away some spoilers about Leonidas that we don't learn until book three. There was a lot packed into this novella.
Liviu
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
another Fallen empire (free) novella, this time a prequel that will probably tie in with book 3; way too much "shoot them up" pages per total as the strength of the series is in the characters and the universe, rather than in the B-action movie fights which occasionally get into comic book hero invulnerability territory; however I still enjoyed the dialogue and the series remains a current favorite
Jamila
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
😢 LEO <3
how heartbreaking is this!!! Tearing up rn
Lola
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This prequel novella is part of the Fallen Empire box set and I read it after I read the first 3 books in this series. While chronologically set before book 1 I think it's more fun to read it after book 3 like how it's placed in the box set.

Last Commands follows the point of view of Leonidas and I really liked how this novella adds a bit to this characters. It also covers some interesting events from the end of the war. There is the usual action that I've come to expect from this series and thin
Jacob
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi
Another layer added to an already excellent story. I wouldn’t suggest reading this prequel until you’re a few books into the series.
Eggp
Apr 27, 2018 rated it liked it
End of the empire
protect the only thing left
the boy must be saved.
Cmoore
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a marvelous short story... Lindsay Buroker may have finely won me over to her Space Opera... She gave her Cyborg Colonel Leonidas humanity and that has been missing from the other ones that I've seen...
The edition I listened to was narrated by Kate Reading and she was the perfect pick for the job...
Susan
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Seriously, always a pleasure. I think Ms. Buroker's heroines are sisters, maybe best friends. This seems a lot like a syfy version of EE, wise-cracking woman kind of on the run and gathering similar teams of slightly eccentric, sometimes funny, members. This is not a bad thing. I enjoy these heroines and their teams; they are fun summer reading. I look forward to more books.
Tanya
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books
I love Lindsay Buroker! Love her books! I'm not too into sci-fi or space operas, but she pulled me in with this one. Just enough to make me want to read this series. I'm intrigued. I want to know what happens to Leonidas. Does he ever meet someone special, start a family? Does he ever see Thorian again? What happens to Thorian, how does he turn out? Gotta read to find out.
Kay Dee
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
another terrific series by Lindsay Buroker!
this one will rank as number 2 in my love of her series and characters.
buy the books! read the books! love the books!

the main characters, Alisa and Leonidas, remind me sooooooooooooo very much of Armanthe and Sicarious from The Emperor's Edge Collection

first the women
both women's name start with an A (wish they didn't. since they are so similar, it's a lil confusing.)
both women are tall and can fight and are the leaders of their ragtag bunch
both are wi
Jane
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
This short prequel story gives quite a lot of information about Leonidas while still keeping him rather mysterious to the reader. When I read the first book back in August, I didn't like Leonidas quite so much, but after reading this short story, I feel like I understand him quite a bit better and I think I made a good decision by reading #0.5 before continuing on with book #2.

Also, I think it made some things quite a bit clearer to me when I was reading Honor's Flight than I would've understood
A.M.
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: i-own, e-books
But the Emperor sends him away, with the custody of his son.
***
This one is kind of odd.
Leonidas is with a pilot Sadangi who is basically a male Alisa.
(view spoiler)
Banshee
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Leonidas Adler is guarding the Emperor and his family during the final days of the Imperial Empire legacy. They are surrounded and their asteroid is about to be breached. Leonidas is tasked with getting the Emperor's son to safety and to the Starseers.

This story was amazing, another great addition to an awesome series. It can be read anytime thorough out the series as no spoilers are given away. I loved reading about Leonidas and what caused him to get stuck on Dusty. The action was great, the
astaliegurec
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Lindsay Buroker's "Last Command (Fallen Empire, #0.5)" is, like her "Starfall Station" written from Leonidas' point of view instead of Alisa's. And, just like that other short story, this one fleshes out Leonidas a bit more. On the plus side, since Alisa isn't present in this story (it happens before they meet), the sexual comments and innuendo are not present here. On the negative side, almost every person in the story has Alisa's personality and spews forth a constant stream of irreverent patt ...more
Phillip Murrell
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2018
I thought a book solely about Leonidas could be fun, but even before he met Alisa, he tolerated jokes and back talk. Instead of making him a better character, this book watered his badassery down. It was more confirmation that this book series was not for me. At least I didn’t have to tolerate the rest of the Nomad crew.
Tony Tkach
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this story, It sets the stage for the series of books with the destruction of the Empire back story. My only complaint is that it has a continuous rise in action as one thrilling adventure immediately leads to another with out a break. 4/5 on Goodreads
Llaph
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great, if reading Star Nomad hadn’t already made me eager to read the rest of the series this short story would’ve done it for sure. I am very interested in reading Leonidas’s story along with the series as a whole.
More so now.... Thanks lots Ms. Buroker.
Jane Halliday
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
So now we know what was the dirty secret that Leonidas kept. A tad emotional, something I hadn't expected. We get an exclusive look at how the war looks like on the losing side. It surprised me how much I liked it.
Shymsal
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
A nice short story that adds to Leonidas' background. I am very much enjoying him and Alisa and company, so it was nice to see more of where he came from. He and Sicarius should go bowling.
Jailyn
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, sci-fi
A short novella that narrates Leonidas's mission to take Thorian to the star seers. It was refreshing to see Leonidas's POV and his inner thoughts and doubts about himself and his mission.
Kelly
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love have some back story to a series. Lindsay Broker is great author. This should be a TV series. #discoverscifi
Bill
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was outstanding! I'm looking forward to the Fallen Empire series.
momokaachan
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, sci-fi
Interesting background read.
Christian Thibodeau
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It did what all good books do, which is leaving you wanting more.
Great way to get the back story on Leonidas.
Tim Seabrook
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great introduction to the series giving an insight to one of the main characters in the main book series and the hidden depths that drives the man Leonidas
Myra Wray
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Once again I have found a good book in this story. I found it hard to put it down until the end. I can not wait to see what happens next. copy.
Bruce
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This is the prequel that provides more insight into Leonidas' personality and the reasons for his teaming with Alisa.
Josephine
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good to understand Leo's part .
Elecia
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sweet and great backstory for Leonidas. Ok standalone.
Starfire
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this as part of an omnibus that included Books 1-3 plus a prequel short story.

I'll review them all together on Book 3

• Frost Station Alpha: The Complete Series (Frost Station Alpha, #1-6)
  • On a Rogue Planet (The Phoenix Adventures, #3)
  • Elf Saga: Doomsday: Part One: Blood of the Dragon
  • Just Like Heaven
  • Trigger & Friends
  • Emyr's Smile (The Stories of Ys, #2)
  • Joys R Us
  • Voyageurs
  • Vigilante (Major Ariane Kedros, #2)
  • The Greatest Gift (Memories, #2.5)
  • Chaos Station (Chaos Station, #1)
  • Almost But Not Quite
I'm a professional blogger by day and an indie fantasy author by night. Evenings belong to the dogs, tennis, and books.

Fallen Empire (8 books)
  • Star Nomad (Fallen Empire, #1)
  • Honor's Flight (Fallen Empire, #2)
  • Starseers (Fallen Empire, #3)
  • Relic of Sorrows (Fallen Empire, #4)
  • Cleon Moon (Fallen Empire, #5)
  • Arkadian Skies (Fallen Empire, #6)
  • Perilous Hunt (Fallen Empire, #7)
  • End Game (Fallen Empire, #8)