Start by marking “The Irish Inheritance (Jayne Sinclair Genealogical Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Irish Inheritance (Jayne Sinclair Genealogical Mystery, #1)

The Irish Inheritance

(Jayne Sinclair Genealogical Mystery #1)

June 8, 1921. Ireland.
A British Officer is shot dead on a remote hillside south of Dublin.
November 22, 2015. United Kingdom.
Former police detective, Jayne Sinclair, now working as a genealogical investigator, receives a phone call from an adopted American billionaire asking her to discover the identity of his real father.
How are the two events linked?
Jayne Sinclair ha
Published June 15th 2016

To ask other readers questions about The Irish Inheritance, please sign up.
M.J. Lee Sorry for the late answer. If you bought them from Amazon, just check the button that says cloud on your new Kindle. Then you will e able to download …moreSorry for the late answer. If you bought them from Amazon, just check the button that says cloud on your new Kindle. Then you will e able to download them. Hope this helps.(less)

Start your review of The Irish Inheritance (Jayne Sinclair Genealogical Mystery, #1)
I liked "The Irish Inheritance" so much, I bought the #2 in the series as soon as I had finished it. Although, as I read, I thought "this is only worth about 2.5 stars", but by the time I got to the delightful twist at the end it was up to 4 (N.B. I reserve 5 stars for really exceptional writing and plot).

I have a personal ancestral link to the Easter Rising, so it was great to remind myself of what happened in 1916 in Dublin through Ms Lee's writing. I am also crazy about family history, so the
Cal
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thank you to TBC and the author who gave me an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Well, what can I say? I absolutely loved this book! It was the perfect mix of genealogy and mystery for me, with plenty of twists and turns to keep you guessing. As a keen genealogist myself, I find this type of book fascinating. I love how the smallest of details can unlock old family secrets, bringing to life the people and places of the past.

The back and forth between past and present was handled
Heather
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jayne Sinclair is an ex-cop with a failing marriage and a new business as a genealogical investigator, she is a woman who once she starts a job doesn't finish till she gets an answer but in the Irish Inheritance she may have bitten off more than she can chew.

She is contacted by an American billionaire, a man who also has months to live, a man who has a dying wish. That wish is to find out who he is, literally. Adopted as a child, he wants to find out who he father is and with a couple of pieces
Martha
This started well--for once the genealogy research seemed realistic, and the writing was okay. However, the historical episodes, which I would have expected to enjoy, were somehow not very engaging, and the dialog (especially between Michael Dowling and his wife) was clunky. Jayne herself was not very likable as a character (view spoiler). The final plot res ...more
Keri
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My favorite genre is historic mysteries and I spend time working on my family genealogy so what could be more perfect. Glad to find another series in this sub genre. But even being the right type of book doesn't insure it is a good read. If the 1st is the test then I have found a great series.
Gaele
AudioBook Review:
Stars: Overall 4 Narration 4 Story 4

Told in dual-perspectives the story of Jayne Sinclair’s first case for an American Billionaire with questions about his own history and ties to Ireland in the early 1920’s, M.J. Lee uses detailed research, descriptive storytelling and a clever heroine with a compelling background to draw us into the story and keep us reading on. While I’ve read many accounts of the Easter Rising in 1921, this perspective of an adopted man searching for his f
Marty Mcintyre
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this one! Lots of history about the Easter Rising in Ireland in 1916. A dying American billionaire comes looking for his roots. He hires retired police detective turned genealogist Jayne Sinclair to unravel the mystery but someone is very intent on making she doesn't. This was very compelling story. The only criticism I had was that as a seasoned police woman, Jayne should have been more aware of her surroundings but her failure to recognize the danger she was in was excused by the subpl ...more
Connie Long
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very noteworthy read

Historically interesting, not mushy, didn’t like the f word usage, very interesting twist which I like in stories such as this.
Karen
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Genealogical investigator, Jayne Sinclair, is contacted by an American billionaire who is seeking help in order to trace his father. Adopted at a young age, and with no recollection of his early life, John Hughes is desperate to discover his true identity before he succumbs to the illness that threatens to end his life in the following months. With few clues to help her, the former police detective has to use all of her investigative skills in order to make connections to Ireland’s Easter Rising ...more
Heather Fitt
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book from TBC on Facebook in exchange for an honest review.

I was a little hesitant to read (and review) this book as I had read a Genealogical Mystery by another author and it really wasn't to my taste. However I have read both of Lee's Shanghai thrillers and really enjoyed them, so I decided to give it a go.

I knew very little of the Easter Rising in Ireland during the early 1900's, so I was looking forward to finding out a bit more. In truth there is only enough writte
Cathy Cole
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Irish Inheritance deals with two timelines. One during the time of the Easter Rising and the Irish War of Independence and the second in 2015 with Jayne's investigation. I'm always on the hunt for genealogical crime fiction since so many mysteries deal with long-buried secrets anyway. This first Jayne Sinclair mystery intrigued me for two reasons: one, that the genealogical investigator was a woman, and two, she is a former police detective. I thought this would make a change from the other ...more
Jackie Roche
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank Helen at TBC and the author for giving me the opportunity to read this in exchange for an honest and open review.
This was a crime novel with a difference. I've always been interested in genealogy and combined with my favourite genre, this was a must read.
This is the first book I've read by this author but it certainly won't be the last.
I was gripped from page one. Even though it moved from past to present, it was very easy to follow.
It was a well-researched novel with inter
Caron Mackenzie
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. Martin Lee has an amazing writing style that flows so smoothly. He transports you to places and you can hear the accents, see the scenery, smell the emotions! A wonderful saga of murder, mystery, war, greed, search for answers! I loved Jayne's tenacity and look forward to her next adventure. Thanks to The Book Club for the opportunity to review. 5 well deserved stars for me!
Lady Delacour
Enjoyable stories,
within stories,
within mysteries.
Nice start to a series.
Listened with TTS.
Clean with Foul Language.
AdiTurbo
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Very badly written. I hopes the subject matter would be interesting enough to keep me going anyway, but it wasn't presented well and the pace was off. Could have been a nice enough historical mystery if done right. Shame, I thought the Shanghai novels from this author were truly excellent, and am disappointed.
Judi Estes, J. Estes
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Just found a new favorite author!

I love genealogy and have enjoyed tracing my family history. This book, while mentioning some of the methods used, isn't a heavy "how to" manual, it did feed my love of the "backstory". Possible why's behind decisions our ancestors make and the repercussions from them.
Read this book, if you like genealogy, family and feelings, you will love this book.
Now, I'd stay and chat, but I have the next book in the series to read!
Jeanine
I enjoyed this book, the series is terrific.
Dixie
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the book, the time lines, characters etc. I realize I had read this book before, but once I got into it I just kept going and it kept my interest. Good research.
MRS A HARDY
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book

I absolutely loved this book it was truly gripping throughout .I look forward to reading more from this author.
Something has bothered me however the dates of the British officers death i thought it happened July 1922 but later records say June 1921 what have I got wrong?
MaryAnn C
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very informative and entertaining g

I was glued to this story. My father was born in April, 1916. His parents were immigrants,
Ifrom Ireland but he was born here. I never knew much about the Easter Uprising although I have always been aware of the issues between the English and the Irish. This story told a lot of the history of that time as well as telling the fictional story of a genealogical detective. An excellent read!
Darlene
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced!

Sleuthy and full of genealogy tricks! Jayne is always on the go, looking for her clients ancestors. I never knew about the Irish uprising. Great read!
Marci
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
I would have liked to give this 3 stars, but I'm going with 2.5 and rounding down instead of up because of the very poor editing in this edition.

I was looking for another genealogical-themed mystery series after reading the Morton Farrier series by Nathan Dylan Goodwin. This seemed like an interesting pick, but I've decided it's pretty much a rip-off of Goodwin's series without the wit. Like the Farrier series, this features a genealogist who solves mysteries, but where Morton Farrier is a real
JoAnne Stupak
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very good mystery,with enough historical parts to make a wonderful read.

I really couldn't wait to find out all the many different twists that I thought I had figured out. Now I'm looking for more stories from MJ Lee. I'm hooked for certain. Thank you for a new direction for my reading addiction.
Gary Michaels
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
A nice story

In an interesting twist on police crime novels, Jane solves mysteries from the past. An enjoyable read, I'm ready to start the next book in the series .
Gaynor Mackenzie-Cooke
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Second book read in this series

I read the second book first and enjoyed it so much that I had to read another. Fantastic story well told.
Beth Sparrow
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed it. Good mystery with the genealogist trying to find who the real father was. Several twists and turns. Highly recommend if you like genealogical mysteries. It's now my favorite genre.
Bob Willis
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book

I would definitely recommend this book. Fast paced with lots of twists and turns. Very well thought out. I couldn't put it down
Elaine Bennington
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Like chocolate, you don't want the story to end

I am a fan of genealogical mysteries and it takes a well-read writer to build the intricate details that keep you up all night to find out who did it. On to book 2!
Steve Latham
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this unususal approach to the Irish Revolution through genealogy. Liked the look back to events wrapped around the Easter Uprising in Dublin through the eyes of participants. The genealogist/retired detective was a interesting character but perhaps a bit over stressed. I have bought the next episode and hope it entertains as well.
kerry arnold
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you like genealogy...

I like historical detective fiction and this novel combines another inerest: Genealogy. I gave this book 5 stars because I could not put it down until my eyes crossed, and so because I couldn't see to read I then switched it to audio and listened. It is a really good story. So, if you like genealogical fiction, you must give it a try. I will be looking out for more from this author.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Three Times Removed (Maze Investigations - The Genealogy Detectives Book 1)
  • Line of Descent (Maze Investigations - The Genealogy Detectives Book 2)
  • The Julia Legacy (Maze Investigations - The Genealogy Detectives Book 3)
  • The Orange Lilies (The Forensic Genealogist #2.5)
  • The America Ground (The Forensic Genealogist #3)
  • The Spyglass File (The Forensic Genealogist #4)
  • The Sterling Affair (The Forensic Genealogist #6)
  • The Lost Ancestor (The Forensic Genealogist #2)
  • The Missing Man (The Forensic Genealogist #4.3)
  • When Beggars Dye: A Jane Madden genealogical mystery (#1)
  • The Suffragette's Secret (The Forensic Genealogist #4.5)
  • Hiding the Past (The Forensic Genealogist #1)
  • The Wicked Trade (The Forensic Genealogist #5)
  • Dying Games (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #6)
  • Letters From the Dead (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #7)
  • The Memory of Music: One Irish family – One hundred turbulent years: 1916 to 2016
  • Kindred (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #5)
  • The Secret Wife
Martin has spent most of his adult life writing in one form or another. As a University researcher in history, he wrote pages of notes on reams of obscure topics. As a social worker with Vietnamese refugees, he wrote memoranda. And, as the creative director of an advertising agency, he has written print and press ads, tv commercials, short films and innumerable backs of cornflake packets and hotel ...more

Jayne Sinclair Genealogical Mystery (6 books)
  • The Somme Legacy (Jayne Sinclair Genealogical Mystery, #2)
  • The American Candidate (Jayne Sinclair Genealogical Mystery #3)
  • The Vanished Child (Jayne Sinclair Genealogical Mystery #4)
  • The Sinclair Betrayal (Jayne Sinclair Genealogical Mystery #5)
  • The Merchant's Daughter (Jayne Sinclair Genealogical Mystery #6)

News & Interviews

“showing no signs of emotion. Luckily, or unluckily, she had never given birth. Perhaps if any of her marriages” 0 likes