Start by marking “Consider (Holo, #1)” as Want to Read:
Consider (Holo, #1)

Consider

(Holo #1)

As if Alexandra Lucas’ anxiety disorder isn’t enough, mysterious holograms suddenly appear from the sky, heralding the end of the world. They bring an ultimatum: heed the warning and step through a portal-like vertex to safety, or stay and be destroyed by a comet they say is on a collision course with earth. How’s that for senior year stress?

The holograms, claiming to be h
Published April 19th 2016 by Jolly Fish Press

To ask other readers questions about Consider, please sign up.
Kristy Acevedo Yes, the relationship between Alexandra and her boyfriend is romantic in a realistic way.

Kristy Acevedo
Greatest book EVER.

I may be biased.

I hope you enjoy it :)

--Kristy Acevedo (the author)

Update:
Woohoo! School Library Journal gave CONSIDER a starred review!
"VERDICT Order multiple copies of this must-have"

CONSIDER is one of Barnes & Noble Teen 13 Top Anticipated YA sci-fi of 2016! http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/te...
AMEERA
DNF 52%
Michelle Morrell
The world is stunned when portals and holograms appear, claiming the earth is going to be destroyed by a comet. Told there is no hope but to step through into an alternate future, who will choose the unknown over the prophesied? As society starts to close down, the answer is suddenly not so clear anymore.

One of the Phillip K Dick award nominees for 2017, this is definitely a YA book, with a protagonist as concerned with her friends and romance as she is with the end of the world. But still, it w
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Actual Rating: 4.5*
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

With the synopsis -- and the holograms -- telling everyone to make a choice, I spent the whole novel weighing my options. Which made it a really fun and engaging read for me. I put myself into Alex's shoes and thought "What would I do in this situation?" At the end, when it was do or die, I had made the decision to stay. When you read the book, you should try this and see which decision is the rig
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kristy Acevedo’s debut novel for young adults is a taut sci-fi thriller featuring a unique concept and a complex protagonist. Consider (Book 1 of The Holo Series) is garnering much attention and has already won the 2015 PEN New England Susan P. Bloom Children’s Book Discovery Award and has been named to Barnes and Nobles’ “13 Most Anticipated Science Fiction YAs of 2016.”

Measured pacing, captivating relationships and unexpected plot turns make Consider an exciting debut. And the breathtaking con
Franzi Bücherseelen
3,5 Sterne :)
Mia Siegert
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was able to read an e-ARC as Kristy is one of my JFP buddies.

I'm not sure what to say about CONSIDER, in the sense of where to begin, where to end, the thoughts in the middle--I suppose that's appropriate for a book that will have a sequel. As well, as a disclaimer, I'm not big on SFF, so this comes from the perspective of a writer/reader who takes things very literally. So, in typical me-fashion, I'll stick with the standouts.

The descriptions of anxiety attacks, in particular, though out of
Peri June
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-challenge
I loved this book so much!
The main character, Alexandra, suffers from anxiety. (Something I relate to a little too well. Trying to make it as an author makes my anxiety worse, but in an ironic twist, writing and getting lost in a character's head makes it better. How's that for tricky?! But I digress. Back to the book).
Alexandra's anxiety is exacerbated when giant holograms appear in the sky proclaiming that a comet will obliterate Earth in just a few months. Oops! Bye bye everyone. Of course, t
Rikke
Nov 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the ending. Probably even enough for me to want to read the sequel. I liked the idea of the story too. And I liked the choice of a main character with anxiety disorder. Yet, I didn't like her all that much, possibly because it's a first person narrative. Also I felt the story dragged more than I would have expected. Still, the sequel might be awesome. I'll definitely be keeping an open mind, if I get to read it.
Jenny Baker
***Update 6-26-17: Only $.99 on Kindle today!***
Zyra
Apr 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, young-adult
I actually wanted to know more about this alien holograms & more of this. not actually focus on teenage anxiety girl.
i.
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book surprised me and I am not easily surprised. I was expecting another sci-fi/insta-love YA novel and I found a very well written book about pulling oneself together and making tough decisions.
The ending took me aback ; I could have predicted it but I was too worried about the characters to even think about it.
It is a science-fiction novel but that's not the most important part of the plot.It is in fact the most realistic sci-fi book I've read lately because the author focuses on human be
TJ da Roza
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
End of the world + female protagonist with an anxiety disorder? Does it get any better? This is an amazing story about what loyalty, trust, and family means. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys sci-fi, people who don't enjoy sci-fi, and people who don't even like reading! This is the book.
Cali Garrison
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Omg!!! The first two pages had me hooked! I would read a few pages at a time and then today I read about half the book and holy rollercoaster with the twists and turns. And that ending...lets just say I'm having major withdrawals. Kristy Acevedo has such a strong voice, I felt Alex's anxiety. And it was so cool reading about places that I've been too living in the same area where the story took place. You need to read this book!!!
Vani
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Oh my god, y’all! I get to break the streak of bad reviews! Three in a row had really upset me, and I was desperate to find a book I really love to review next. Enter Consider, by Kristy Acevedo!

Funny enough, I found this book on accident. So, I was approved for yet more ARC’s I had forgotten I signed up for. One of which is called Contribute. Now, somehow, when I asked for Contribute on NetGalley, I totally missed that it is a sequel! I hate that, and I am obviously still obligated to read and
Wendy MacKnight
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads

I received an Advanced Reader Copy of this book in return for an honest review, which I am happy to provide because I loved this book! Loved it as in devoured it in one sitting, because I had to know how it all turned out.

For 17 year old Alex, life is full of choices. And every decision she makes - about her boyfriend Nicholas, her parents, where she's going to go to school after graduation - only serves to heighten her already out-of-control anxiety. And then the unthinkable happens: vertexes (
Caroline
SO good!! I'm a sucker for a good apocalyptic novel, and CONSIDER definitely delivered. I appreciated getting a perspective into anxiety disorder—Alex is a great protagonist to represent this because though she goes through a lot mentally and emotionally, she's also strong at the same time, even though she doesn't recognize it. The relationships are so believable and compelling and addicting. And the end BLEW MY MIND. I'm SO excited for the second book!!!
Lisa
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Easily one of my favorite reads of 2016. Exactly the kind of book I love, and beautifully executed to boot. Loved, loved, loved this book.
Nella
WTF. You do not end a book like that, it's just rude

Full review in Swedish here
Anne Oftedahl
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow... That was amazing!

While this book is kinda marketed as a sci-fi, to me it felt more like a contemporary with some sci-fi in the background.
Alexandra is a senior in high school, struggling with heavy anxiety and frequent panic attacks - and just to make things a little more complicated, the world might be ending.

No but really, this book tells the story of a young girl with mental health issues having to deal with the possibility of Earth's imminent destruction, and I am here for it!

As far a
Books
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-2016
I received a copy of this book for review, and since I haven’t been accepting books for review for over than two years, I was ready to dismiss the review request as I’ve done countless others.After looking at the cover and reading the synopsis, though, I decided to give this book a chance. I must admit, I was sceptical about this book. It sounded like a unique and interesting concept (to leave the world through a vertex and survive, or die in the fiery blaze of a stray comet), but I was wary tha ...more
Parker Peevyhouse
Is the world really about to end? Should we try to escape to another world? Can we trust that the other world will be a good place for us?

CONSIDER asks a lot of intense questions, and I couldn't wait to find out how the characters answer them. After holograms announce that a comet is about to collide with earth, portals to another world open across the globe, and everyone must decide whether to evacuate. Every part of this premise is explored: whether governments should control access to the por
Carlisa Cramer
Dang—that ending! Stunningly done.

This book is really interesting in that it's kind of dystopian, kind of sci-fi, both mostly just this girl's life. How she reacts to these impending, potentially cataclysmic events and also how she reacts to her better-than-her-at-everything brother, her best friend, her boyfriend, her upcoming graduation and start of college. And also her anxiety. I've never experienced anxiety in my own life, but Acevedo's portrayal of it was beautiful, I thought.

And isn't it
Kathryn
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The unique and suspenseful SF premise kept me reading, but where Consider really shines is in character development. As someone prone to anxiety, I found narrator Alex's inner struggles spot on, including her musing that the end of the world (as we know it) may be less stressful for her than for some people, because at last what's going on in the real world is more disastrous than the what-if scenarios that constantly play out in her head. The relationships, family and friendships and romantic, ...more
Catherine McCarran
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is what happens when a great premise meets flawless execution. I can't go into details without getting spoilerish--can't help myself, this story is just too good. I will say that the MC is sympathetic and believable without resorting to any of the usual YA tropes--Mom and Dad are very much alive and central to the unfolding story. The dilemma is provocative and its unfolding is absolutely riveting. There's humor, horror, hope and frustration all masterfully evoked and propelled by the ...more
Judy Sheehan
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lucky me -- I got to read an advance copy of this book. You'll have to wait until it's published!

Science fiction, fantasy or any other surreal stories are most successful when they are most human. And that's the key here. Alex, the protagonist and narrator has deep-felt anxiety issues and complex relationships with her family, friends, and boyfriend. The reality of her situation guides us seamlessly into a fantastic story. Step by step, we explore a drastically changed world, where we all must c
Rachel Mans Mckenny
So many feels.

Okay, so I burned through this book in a day because I couldn't put it down. The dilemma of Stay or Go is really well played out here and I felt physically tense at many points. The main character, Alex, grows and starts to come to grip with some big physical and emotional challenges here.

One reason for a star deduction is the whole "good thing my boyfriend is good at math but I'm good at words" thing near the beginning. Over all, though, I'm already psyched for book two. I'll def
Adriana Mather
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Alexandra (Alex) is a 17-year-old whose future plans are completely overridden when 500 alien vertices appear all over the world.

These vertices are accompanied by holograms that foretell doom for the Earth in six months time. Purportedly there is a large comet on a collision course with the Earth and the only pathway to safety is to escape to another planet through a vertex. How will Alex and her family and friends deal with this situation? This was an exciting read and I was so happy to see th
Kaela Rivera
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First person isn't usually my favorite, but CONSIDER's 1st chapter had me in an instant. A protagonist with an anxiety disorder? With a sci-fi twist on the Apocolypse?

Yes PLEASE~
Anthony ➳ KeepReadingForward ➳
3/5
Date Reviewed:
11 November 2017
This Review was first posted on Keep Reading Forward. If you want to see more, check out our other locations as well as here.

In Consider, vertexes appear throughout the entire planet with one message: the world is ending. As everyone tries to decides on what is best for the planet, friends and families, and even themselves, Alex is forced to deal with everything, even with her anxiety.

When I first began this story, I thought I was going into something different
Norwescon: Consider 5 11 Feb 20, 2017 05:00PM
Amazon releasing CONSIDER three weeks early?!?! 5 9 Mar 26, 2016 04:58PM
Goodreads Librari...: Publisher changed cover--please delete and add new 7 60 Mar 15, 2016 03:34AM
Full Chapter 1 Free Preview of CONSIDER 2 15 Nov 01, 2015 07:19PM
  • Shudder (Stitch Trilogy, #2)
  • Into the Black (Beyond The Red, #2)
  • Through Glass  (Glass, #1)
  • The Girl at the Center of the World (Islands at the End of the World, #2)
  • Vanquished
  • Pull
  • The Year of Lightning (Time Shift Trilogy, #1)
  • The Other Side Of Gravity (Oxygen #1)
  • Skyward Volume 1: My Low-G Life
  • Bluescreen (Mirador, #1)
  • Freefall
  • Now That You're Here (Duplexity #1)
  • Beyond the Ever Reach (Mortality, #1)
  • Facsimile
  • A Walk Out of the World
  • Nexis (Tricksters, #1)
  • A Matter of Days
  • Mindwalker (Mindwalker, #1)
Kristy Acevedo is a YA author, high school English teacher, and huge Star Trek, Doctor Who, and Harry Potter fan. When she was a child, her “big sister” from the Big Brothers Big Sisters Program fostered her love of books by bringing her to the public library every Wednesday.

A member of SCBWI, her debut novel, CONSIDER (Jolly Fish Press, April 2016), won the 2015 PEN New England Susan P. Bloom Chi

Holo (2 books)