Start by marking “Normal (Something More, #1)” as Want to Read:
Normal (Something More, #1)

Normal

(Something More #1)

This is an alternate cover edition for ASIN B00MN075MG.

It's the kind of situation most people would dread. Starting at a new high school, in the middle of my senior year, in a new town, in a new state. I know no one. No one knows me. That's what I'm counting on.

Published March 2016 by Danielle Pearl (first published August 11th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Normal, please sign up.
Danielle Pearl M is right! I hope to release OKAY by the end of the year. Thank you for reading!
Danielle Pearl Normal is available on all ebook platforms. It is currently free, but only for a limited time!

Start your review of Normal (Something More, #1)
Kelli C
NO NO NO....I don't want a cliffhanger! Come on...why do I freaking do this to myself!

So, I was obviously not prepared to have my heart ripped out, but I have to say for a book with young characters set in high school, I was quite taken with this.

Aurora Pike is your everyday average Florida girl. She is part of a small town and fits into the "up/in" crowd well, with the exception that she is truly good and innocent. An opportunity to be on the arm of the towns rising sports star seems like a dre
Dora Koutsoukou
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: emotional
4 💔🖤💔💔⚓️⚡️⚡️⚓️🌟🌟🌟🌟s❣️❣️❣️❣️

“I'll be there for you, these five words I swear to you
When you breathe, I want to be the air for you
I'll be there for you
I'd live and I'd die for you
I'd steal the sun from the sky for you
Words can't say what love can do
I'll be there for you.” Bon Jovi

“I’ll be There for You” by Bon Jovi has completely matched my thoughts and feelings for the first part of this story I have just read which managed to touch and break my heart.

Note: This book is not for everyone. It is t
Aly (In Wonderland)
3.5 stars.

Well, fuck me. This was great. Once I got over the rocky start and the story started to unfold, I was totally, 100% invested.

Rory is the sort of character you hate in the beginning, mostly because she's so cynical and judgemental. With severe anxiety and triggers, she starts at a new school in New York, far away from her old school and her haunting past.

I hate the haunting, damaged past trope as much as the next person, but Christ, it worked so well here. By 30%, I was both horrified a
Natalie ✩★ The Biblioholic ★✩
First of all, this author is extremely talented. My goodness!! I was immediately absorbed in this story and COULD NOT put it down for the life of me. The writing, the pacing, the character development, the plot, the meat, all of it was just sooooooo amazing!!

This was a very hard read for me because... trigger! But I was still able to enjoy it while cringing (a lot). I was instantly sympathetic with Rory and eagerly awaited her champion. And her saviour came in such a delightful package. Sam look
Coco.V
Jan 02, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
💝 FREE on Amazon today (1/2/2018)! 💝

Blurb:

A year ago, Aurora "Rory" Pine was just a normal teenage girl - just as sweet and naive as the fairy tale princess she was named after.

But this isn't a year ago.

Rory is broken, and now suffering from a debilitating anxiety disorder, wrought with preca
Paula  Phillips
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Aurora Pine was named after Sleeping Beauty, but soon that nickname of Sleeping Beauty would become a word that would haunt her forever. Aurora was a popular girl and a cheerleader, she had pep and spirit and was stunning. She even caught the eye of one of the hottest guys, and her father approved as he was the son of the Mayor. Things though weren't as happy behind closed doors as this Prince Charming was abusive and harmed Aurora in more ways than one. When she decides to tell someone about it ...more
Kate (beautifulbookland)
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
This was cheese fucking city but I actually enjoyed it? It’s not the kind of book I could reread, but for enjoyment factor I’ll give it 4 stars.
Lia
Oct 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This. Book. Ughhh. I loved it, but I hated it. The underlying story was phenomenal. I was hooked, addicted from page one. But Rory was SOOO annoying. I'm sure many disagree with me. I can't begin to fathom what Rory has been through. Her fears, anxieties, etc. are very justifiable. Many, who go through the trauma she has, suffer from depression and anxiety. BUT her self-loathing attitude really got to me. I wanted desperately for her to see herself as a survivor. Not a victim.

I ADORE Sam. He's
Big Joe  Rossi
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Well written, well develoed characters, a present to past reveal.

Aurora "Rory" Pine has moved to Long Island NY forced to flee her small town Florida town. Why? We don't know yet. She is battling a multitude of issues...panic attack, nightmares, anxiety, fear. On her 1st day of her senior year in a new school one of those panic attacks start, worse it is witnessed by someone. Sam Caplan, the big man on campus at the high school. He is hiding his own dark issues but nothing like
Debbie
Here’s another book cover that threw me—from the cover, I thought the story was going to be about something else. I really do have to stop judging books by their covers. Now with that said, I do want to say this was an awesome read. So don't let this cover fool you. Rory’s (Aurora) story is no sweet Chick-Lit. Rory, Sam and Cam's story is gritty, a little dark, beautifully heart-touching with a steamy hot romance. No, there's no triangle romance between these three. I felt like I had to include ...more
Lo Bookfrantic

Captivating.
Emotionally shattering.
Overwhelming.
Un-put-downable.

the story of "perception", "acceptance", "pain", "abuse" and coping with inner shattered-self after the mentioned happend, finding a way towards the light and putting all the broken pieces back together with every single step, the story of trust and healing, the story that will undeniably grip your heart and hold it tight....

while you enter a world of Aurora/Rory Pine, a small Florida state town girl, that learned the h
RentasticReads
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sam and Rory will destroy you, console you and make you fall in love right along with them.

This book just rattled my world and shook me up like there's no tomorrow. Normal is an emotion-filled read that will break you and knock you sideways feeling heart crumbling pain, loss, dread, even anger, yet at the same time still have that hope, love, compassion and glee at the end of the tunnel too. Danielle Pearl really has managed to wiggle her way to being one of my favorite authors. Her characters a
Merrie
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's important to know that THIS BOOK CONTAINS VIOLENCE. If this sort of thing is an issue for you, please know that going in. Also, there is a pretty major cliffhanger, consider that when considering this read. Now, here we go.

I am sad to think that I may have never discovered this book, if it didn't come across my Facebook feed. Well, that's a little over dramatic, I would have eventually came across it, but who know when?

This book is told through the POV of Aurora ("Rory"). The story begins w
Sam

DNF @ 40%

Unfortunately this one just didn't work out for me. I didn't hate the book or anything, I actually liked it quite a lot at times, but there's not enough happening for the book to be as long as it is, so there's a lot of repeating the same sentiments and honestly, I've grown really bored with the flashbacks. Flashback Rory is the worst.

A disconnect with Rory is one of the reasons I'm calling it. The story is told from her perspective, but she doesn't have much of a voice, and frankly, I
Suzana Thompson
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: new-adult
This was a hard book to rate. Parts of it were riveting and definitely five star, but it was so crammed full of tragedy that it was almost melodrama. It stretched believability that so many tragic things happened to one person, and it made it seem like it was more than one book. The ending is what significantly lowered my rating though. All the drama was already becoming tedious, and it should have been resolved in this book. I have no interest in seeing it unfold in another book.

I actually do w
Helen Power
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow this book was heart-wrenchingly good. Just a warning--it ends on a major cliffhanger!
Apparently the author has written this same book from Sam's POV (didn't the author of Twilight do that?) I guess I have to read that--after I read the sequel!
Mertxe
Jan 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 stars. This book was a young adult about a young broken girl. I read it very fast and enjoyed it but I felt empty with the heroine POV.
Jessica
Man, this was quite intense. The flashbacks were almost too painful to read, to be honest. (view spoiler) ...more
my butterflies
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
well written but depressing
Jasmine
DNF.... This book was okay at first but I just kept getting more and more annoyed with the characters as I got farther in. I got about half way through before I stopped. I then decided to give it another try only to stop reading all together a few pages later. I honestly feel bad for what Rory had to go through how the people in her life, in FL, had treated her but honestly I think she needed to take a step back and realize that everyone is fucked up in their own way not just her. Rory was also ...more
Annie Brewer
I really hate what Rory does to Sam at the end but also understand her situation all too well. It's a shitty circumstance to be in but with Sam by her side, well, I'm just torn. Really I just loved Sam so much and now my heart is broken. I'm excited for his pov in the next book though. I started this last year and then life, plus other books got in the way of finishing it.
Also, I did feel awful for Cam.
I really hate her fucking father, along with that motherfucker Robin. Ugh. I hope they both d
Caroline Floyd
"I know from experience that some wounds, they're permanent- that even if they heal, they scar so profoundly that you are never, ever okay again."

Rating: 2.5(or 3)/5 Stars

Songs for Normal by Danielle Pearl:
1. The Score- Something New
2. Billie Eilish- Ocean Eyes (Blackbear remix or original)
3. James Young & Phoebe Ryan- We Won't
4. Tom Rosenthal- It's OK
5. Amber Run- I Found (<--Such a beautiful song)
6. Sia- Angel By the Wings
7. The Night We Met- Lord Huron
8. Secrets- One Republic
9. Gab
Jezabell Girl

Gah, I love Danielle Pearl's books! I know YA/NA isn't everyone's cuppa, and I'm probably too old to openly admit to loving them, but this is one special story.

Having read and loved In Ruins, I knew I needed to step back in time to read Normal and the rest of the Something More series. Danielle Pearl has a wonderful writing style and her books easily draw you into the lives of those who live within her stories.

This book tells the story of Aurora “Rory” Pine as she starts a new school with, wha
Deborah G.
I was not expecting this book to be...SO MUCH! This young teenage girl has experienced much more trauma than I have in my advanced years & I often wondered how she could go on. Even though she doesn't always react or handle circumstances well, she is my hero.
A year ago Rory lived in a small town in north Florida, she had two fairly happily married parents, good friends & a hot guy & star of the football team interested in dating her. With very little experience, a bit meek & quiet, Rory reluctan
Niamh Cahill
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Normal begins with Rory starting at a new school in a new town after moving away from her small hometown to escape Robin, a man who basically ruined her. Initially you feel for Rory as she has a panic attack during her first day... and then Sam... an adorable angel sent from above saves her and helps her through it. He was so sweet, and thus so unrealistic it would make anyone's heart swoon immediately.

This book is a refreshing read tackling real-world issues with a heart-wrenching romance in t
Cassandra
May 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
...... This did not click with me. I didn't like the writing style I think... which put me off of the rest of the book.

Aurora was just hard to read. I might try again.... but I think I'm done with trying to get through this.

I need to stop trying to force myself through books before I make my head explode.
Katie Jones
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blind-dates
Danielle Pearl did a phenomenal job with approaching subject matter that could be triggers for people. She wrote this masterpiece and made my heart break for Rory and Sam.

Rory's and Sam's love is just beautiful. The strength of it, is tremendous.
Fyrephoenix
ANGST!!!! Holy heck...I wanted to reach into the book and beat the living crap out of people...so sad also...with an important message...yell and tell till somebody listens

• Haven's Knight
  • Until Alex
  • Falling for Autumn (Falling for Autumn, #1)
  • Unraveling (Second Chances, #1)
  • The Tattered Gloves
  • Unspeakable (Freedom, #1)
  • Tell Me When (Lost in You, #1)
  • Live Me (Pieces of Broken, #1)
  • Like Gravity
  • Keep Me Still (Keep Me Still, #1)
  • Safe (Conquering, #1)
  • I am Free
  • Needing to Fall
  • Written on my Heart
  • Rae of Sunshine (Light in the Dark, #1)
  • Keep You from Harm (Remedy, #1)
  • Breathe You (Pieces of Broken, #2)
  • Fighting For Air (The Fighting Series Book 1)
Danielle Pearl is the Amazon and iBooks best selling author of the Something More series. She lives in New Jersey with her three delicious children and ever-supportive husband, who--luckily--doesn't mind sharing her with an array of fictional men. She did a brief stint at Boston University and worked in marketing before publishing her debut novel, Normal. She writes mature Young Adult and New Adul ...more

Something More (5 books)
  • Okay (Something More, #2)
  • In Ruins (Something More, #3)
  • In Pieces (Something More, #4)
  • In Flames

News & Interviews

“But I know from experience that some wounds, they're permanent - that even if they heal, they scar so profoundly that you are never, ever okay again.” 3 likes
“But I'm not normal. I'm so glad I'm medicated right now.” 1 likes