Start by marking “Lessons I've Learned” as Want to Read:
Lessons I've Learned

Lessons I've Learned

With her trademark humour, warmth and honesty, Davina McCall shares her life experiences.

"I am a work in progress. There are times when I feel in control and like I know what I'm doing . . . and there are times (quite a few) (actually lots) when I've got no idea what's going on, where to turn, what to do, how to behave, and those are the times I've sought help!

I have been
Published December 20th 2016 by Orion

To ask other readers questions about Lessons I've Learned, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lessons I've Learned

Start your review of Lessons I've Learned
Amanda Claire Bower
Outstanding

Every house should have s copy of this wonderful book. I have learnt so do much . Davina I salute you xx
Melanie Abbott
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Listened to this on Audible. Really well read - like going for a coffee with a friend. Really enjoyed and would recommend
Katie Harding
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. It was a 'gobble up in one sitting' kind of book! It's not autobiographical or in any way self indulgent, it's a sharing of some of her life experiences and what she's learned along the way and how shes used those lessons to overcome adversity, help others and promote a happy and positive life.
Its an incredibly genuine and honest book, with laugh out loud hysterical moments in some chapters and others that leave you with a lump in your throat. It's real, relat
Leanne
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: autobiography
I don't think I ever would have thought that I would be reading this book as I didn't like Davina McCall a while back. I found her behaviour a bit too over the top rather than charming. However, I saw this book in the library and thought, 'Why not?'. The book is actually a mixture of being humourous, interesting and useful in different parts.

It's not the usual autobiography that you might come across with an in depth description of the person's life but it does include a lot of useful informatio
Hannah
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I very, very, very rarely find myself reading autobiographies, especially by those who aren’t deemed ‘internet celebrities’. It’s just not my jam. So I was really taken aback as to why I felt the need to pick up Davina’s ‘Lessons I’ve Learned’.

Davina has always been someone whose made me laugh. Her general attitude when I used to see her on Big Brother always made me giggle. She was interesting to watch! But I wouldn’t say I felt exactly interested to read about her life.

Gosh! I was so wrong.
Suzy
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-book, memoir
I'm not a Davina McCall fan, but thought I'd give this a try. Davina reads her own book & this is great because all her character comes through. It makes it an easy listen and heartfelt. It's part autobiography telling the reader about her early life, hardships and drive to get what she wanted. It also honestly portrays Davina's issues and how she tackled them - that's the self help bit. Nothing revelatory in these sections and I found them a bit annoying, taking me out of the story. Overall a g ...more
Mark Thomas
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved the way Davina read this as though we were good friends sitting across from each other.
That said I had difficulty following any red thread through the book. It was very jumbled and makes it unfortunately hard to recall many of the good lessons to remember.
Vivienne
Oct 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Excellent book written from the heart
Claire Clairbie
Love the honest approach and can imagine Davina reading to me
Charlie Jackson
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Not quite what I was expecting but certainly a good thought provoking read, written with honesty & humour. ...more
John Wilkes
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't keep many books once I've read them, to potentially read again. I kept malala youzafsai's autobiography, and eat pray love by Elizabeth Gilbert. Until now. I'll be keeping this book too.
Lisa Bentley
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Davina McCall has been a staple of British TV for my whole life and I have always liked her. She is enthusiastic, funny and shows herself to be. A caring and compassionate person too.

I read her autobiography Lessons I’ve Learned and got a glimpse of the lady behind the TV personality. She is so positive, honest and expressive. She doesn’t shy away, in fact she reveals all of the colourful aspects of her life.

To say that McCall speaks with candour is an understatement. She discusses her past dru
Victoria Sigsworth
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I thought I would give this a read as we had it in the house and as most of us are at home at the moment, might as well work through the shelves. It is a very easy read. There are some subjects she talks about but then later on repeats in places. It is written as though she is chatting to a friend which some readers will like and some won't.
I have to say that some of the advice she gives, I have read elsewhere so is not all original. I thought her best sections were those on trolling and not be
"An Absolutely fabulous Read"

I found this book so open, honest and refreshing. Davina talks about the highs and lows in her life so far and does not gloss over her much publicised drink and drug taking habit.

Towards the end of the book Davina describes her emotional and intimate time with her sister. I could just imagine Davina reading it to a captive audience and being able to hear a pin drop amongst the silence. It bought tears to my eyes.

Davina mentions some books that really helped her and
Katie C1990
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I first started reading this book I wasn't sure that I was going to enjoy it but after the first few chapters my viewpoint totally changed. I loved reading about what had happened in her life for her to see things the way she did and what she put in place to deal with certain things that her and her family were going through. I love how she talks about her family in the book and the lessons she has learnt from being a young age right up until now. She deals some great advice in this book an ...more
Araceli
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of condensed advice and tips. Davina speaks from personal experience, not repeating what other books might advice and her humor and positivity make it a very enjoyable read. Some of the sections might sound like pure common sense, but I believe it's important to remind ourselves from time to time... as well as reflect on what truly matters. We are not perfect, and we are constantly evolving. It is our responsibility to keep working on our selves. "I'm me... A work in progress. ...more
Kel
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have just finished listening to Davina McCall on audible and really enjoyed her autobiography. She is honest and insightful and I found that I just wanted to keep listening to see what subject she would tackle next.

Listening to this book, made me thankful for what I have got and reminded me that being yourself is all your should ever be.

A brilliant autobiography that details highs and lows her battles with addiction and her overwhelming love for her family. A brilliant reflective autobiography
Saba Aftab
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still being a muslim, I found many useful tips and lessons from reading this book. Nicely written with humour and tough realities of her life which she describes with so ease - you had to have a good sense of humour to do that. It was really sad to read about her sister, Caroline. I envied Pippy’s character in her life - God bless her. Lastly, I got a little perplexed about her separation with her husband Matthew, as she writes beautifully about their relationship throughout the book. Would reco ...more
Jo Baalham-Curry
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit I didn't read this as such but audio booked it.
I wish it could have went on more. I suddenly came to the end of it and I could listen to Davina's fank and open flow all day.
An insight into her life which hasn't been a bed or roses.
I have alot of admiration for her and her get up and go and her family/friends are lucky to have her in their lives.
I do admit I did cry at a few parts of this happy and sad years.
Ellen Stafford
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great book with good advice. Davina shares her tips and advice that she has learned for all aspects of life including dealing with the kids, being a working mum and things she learned from her childhood and growing up.

I enjoyed reading the book and it left me feeling more positive about life and to be grateful for what I have. Loved it.
Zoe Gothard
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
I listened the audiobook on a long drive and I think that was my issue as I wouldn't have read it how it was spoken and made her sound like she was now living a perfect like that somehow she controlled.

Apparently if you decide you want something it will happen, but I've been trying that for a few years

Evelyn
Another memoir that I recently picked up from the library is Davina McCall's Lessons I've Learned, where Davina share's her life experiences and many of the lessons that she's learnt along the way. It's an easy, friendly, warm and chatty style of narrative, and the kind of non-fiction book that you can enjoy reading on holiday or curled up on the sofa on a lazy Sunday afternoon.
mrs j a button
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved reading this can identify with so much of davina's story

Really identified with so much of theses lessons, such a complex array of emotions, davina may not be everyone's cup of tea but I enjoyed reading about her struggles but she's real no holds barred
Rachael Mounteney
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Davina, and to hear her in my head as I read this book just makes it that more personal. The mistakes she's learnt are life lessons that just make you want to give her a hug!

Well written and such a personal book, will be reading again and again.
Carol
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and the way it was written. There were a lot of good life lessons included, and an insight into Davina's troubled childhood and adolescence. I gave 3 stars as found it a little disjointed in parts, and sometimes her life came across as more perfect than reality.
Emma Swift
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: enjoyment
Great read through what makes Davina tick and some heartfelt passages on her unique upbringing, influences and what motivates her. An enjoyable read that was part of my plane journeys to Japan and within it.
Anne-marie Becker
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honest. Albeit in many ways an unlikely story...with her being a beloved celebrity it's sometimes easy to think she may not be philosophical had she not have found fame and fortune. But her positive attitude is undeniable. As is her wish for people to live a happy and forfilled life.
Megan O'Kane
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved Davina before I read this book and I love her even more now. A really honest memoir and there were plenty of “laugh out loud” moments. I would highly recommend Lessons I’ve Learned to any of my friends.
Lastoadri
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the best audiobook I ever heard. Davina is not narrating a book, but talking to friends about her story.
Although sometimes I felt things are not going in order, and book was somewhat confusing. But yet, I will still recommend it to every woman I know.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Happy: Finding joy in every day and letting go of perfect
  • Once Upon A Tyne: Our story celebrating 30 years together on telly
  • Dare to Tri: My Journey from the BBC Breakfast Sofa to GB Team Triathlete
  • Slay In Your Lane: The Black Girl Bible
  • Mad Girl
  • Dear NHS: 100 Stories to Say Thank You
  • Unsinkable: My Story
  • Why Mummy Doesn’t Give a ****! (Why Mummy, #3)
  • Calm: Working through life's daily stresses to find a peaceful centre
  • Brutally Honest
  • Why Mummy Swears (Why Mummy, #2)
  • Eat, Drink, Run: How I Got Fit Without Going Too Mad
  • The Life of Rylan
  • Confidence: The Secret
  • The Prison Doctor: Women Inside: Stories from my time inside Britain’s biggest women’s prison.
  • The Prison Doctor
  • The Self-Care Project: How to Let Go of Frazzle and Make Time for You
  • The Turning Point

News & Interviews

“Never stop working on yourself. You can’t change other people but you definitely can change yourself.” 0 likes