Start by marking “Kotlin in Action” as Want to Read:
Kotlin in Action

Kotlin in Action

Kotlin is a new programming language targeting the Java platform. It offers on expressiveness and safety without compromising simplicity, seamless interoperability with existing Java code, and great tooling support. Because Kotlin generates regular Java bytecode and works together with existing Java libraries and frameworks, it can be used almost everywhere where Java is ...more
ebook, Manning Publications, 360 pages
Published May 2016 by Manning Publications

To ask other readers questions about Kotlin in Action, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kotlin in Action

Start your review of Kotlin in Action
Wang Zirui
Nov 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
I don't like the book. It keeps saying Java is bad. I was trained in Java and I don't think the authors are making the right points. Java is a great language in my opinion, while Kotlin looks more like a bunch of ad hoc ideas. It's less elegant than Java. But the fact is that my colleagues are using Kotlin and I have to learn it. I'm looking for a better book that shows basic respect for Java.
Andrei Catinean
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book for anyone who wants to start grasping Kotlin. Goes from basic knowledge and use cases to rather complex ones towards the end.

There is a fair assumption that you are familiar with Java, as the book does not cover basic Java or object oriented programming explanations.
Nickson Kaigi
* 3.5 stars
* Must Have, if you intend to pass the Coursera course: Kotlin for Java Developers.
* This book was written in 2017 for Kotlin 1.0. When I read it, Kotlin was in version 1.3. Still a good book.

Exactly what you would expect from the people who worked at JetBrains to develop the Kotlin language.

Not beginner friendly, but goes in-depth with the language features. Has excellent comparisons between how Java does things vs the Kotlin way.

Loved reading part 2 of the book: Embracing Kotlin.
Mark Nenadov
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book takes an excellent approach to teaching the Kotlin language and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to dive into it. I enjoyed the way it is contrasted and compared to Java. I did find the sledding to be slow towards the end, though.
Muhammad Hakim Asy'ari
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
The best book for developer start coding in kotlin
Antonel Pazargic
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kotlin
I really enjoyed the way the book is written.
The authors found out a way to present the cool Kotlin features to make them easy to grasp.
The only thing that I found out quite hard to keep the pace with was the last part in the kotlin reflection (json parsing and object deserialization).
I am already looking forward to seeing the 2nd version of Kotlin in Action - including probably the kotlin coroutines, KJS.
Michael Greifeneder
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Just for the wonderful explanation of Generics I would recommend that book.
Mingwei Zhang
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
It is a very good introductory book on Kotlin. I would recommend anyone with some Java background to read it and try out Kotlin.
Venkatesh-Prasad
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This should be your first Kotlin book provided you have a good grasp programming concepts.

It is a brisk, no-nonsense, and pretty exhaustive coverage of the features of Kotlin. Unlike programming books that introduce a new language, this book does not go over the basics concepts of OO. Instead, it assumes you know your programming concepts (at least OO) and starts by describing how they are supported in Kotlin. For concepts common to Java, the book 1) briskly describes the concept as it occurs
Xanan
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book teaches Kotlin from the perspective of a skilled Java programmer.
It clearly separates topics into chapters but language aspects are often described insofar as they differ from Java.
Explanations are clear and generally easy to follow.
It cannot be used as a reference.

The book also pays a lot of attention to Java compatibility.
When Kotlin language features are explained the authors always indicate how Kotlin compiles those features into Java bytecode and how Java code can access code
Aivaras
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Loved it. I’ve worked with Java and Groovy for years and some time ago started Kotlin. Book gave me insights into concepts that I kind of used but did not understand them thoroughly.
Useful bits for me:
- objects are for singleton use
- extension functions are a thing, the ones with receiver types are useful in DSLs, also extension functions can be defined inside of a class
- generics, variance - now its clear what those “in” an “out” next to generic types mean
- operator overloading is something I’d
Piotr Kalinowski
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computers
Very no-nonsense and straightforward presentation style tailored for experienced programmers. I didn't feel like I have to skip through most of the book. It really focused on introducing new JVM language instead of teaching programming.

I liked how it took the time to explain a few implementation details, so that the reader could immediately understand how various language features interact with Java. But the authors didn't stop at that and also included some notes on how performance may be
Elliot Jean
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
An excellent book for developers to know more about Kotlin. It assumes some Java experience for the readers. If you haven't already known some Kotlin before, I'd say this book is perfect for you to get started.

I already knew some Kotlin and would like to delve more into the advanced topics. So I skimmed through the first half of the book which is the foundations and focused on the second half explaining the type system, lambda, DSL, reflections of Kotlin.

Overall I found the author explaining
Rostislav Vatolin
This is a perfect book to read, if you want to start with Kotlin, all the main features are explained here. As said in the back cover, the authors are expecting you to have experience with Java, it is true, so if you only starting you programming career, this book wouldn't be a smooth read for you. There is no doubt that it will boost your performance if you're only starting with kotlin, so I really recommend it to read before you start some serious complex stuff with this language.
I really
Marcos Trujillo
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the perfect book to learn Kotlin (if you have already experience programming, of course)
It's a trip to understand almost all the features kotlin has, inciting not only in the well know features like nullability or Higher order functions, also in the core parts of kotlin and, more important, in the whys and hows.
With this book you have also access to a complete set of exercices and examples similar to Kotlin Koans.

If you are planing to develop in Kotlin this is your book.

Dmytro Chasovskyi
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technical
As the book states, it will work the best for those who want to see Kotlin features and move from other JVM-based languages like Java.

I definitely recommend it for people who consider switching to Kotlin but beware that it is not easy and relaxed reading. I found it hard to understand some ideas the way they described here.
Yamir Encarnacion
This is a great book to learn Kotlin if you already know Java. If you do not know Java, many things will probably be confusing. The books starts off with the basics and works its way towards more advanced topics.

Also, it is a lot to take in from one reading. Myself, I expect to re-read this book.
Ben
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent overview of the Kotlin programming language. Starts with the fundamentals and works up to higher level constructs at a great pace. I found the chapter on DSLs most useful. It illustrates the power of lambdas with receivers and extension functions and should further help you understand Kotlin DSLs in the wild.
Justin Smith
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Not very engaging but it will give you a grasp of some deep Kotlin concepts if you don't fall asleep first.
Felipe Albuquerque
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great introduction to Kotlin. The examples are easy to understand and follow, and the comparisons with the Java codes generated for the JVM make it easier for Java developers to make the transition.
Siarhei Krukau
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Kotlin. But this book is too boring and hard-to-read.
Dmytro Turskyi
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: programming
I think this book is obviously is useful for those who are going to use Kotlin, though the real practical information you can take from it is quite doubtful. It is pretty dry and outdated.
Michiel
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great introduction to Kotlin. However occasionally too verbose and occasionally not explaining enough.
Alessandro
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book, gives a clear overview of Kotlin programming language, but keeping in mind on how to being "Idiomatic". Highly recommended for both beginners and advanced.
Michał
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
Good introduction to Kotlin for Java developers
Łukasz Słonina
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Very good book about Kotlin, you should know Java in details to take most of this book.
Peter
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I finished this while it was v11 MEAP (Manning Early Access Program) but it was very fleshed out even then. Only downside is Kotlin 1.1 came out while the book was being written and I don't see plans for them to cover co-routines. I think co-routines are a language differentiator for Kotlin, Go routine like calls for a JVM language makes me extremely happy. That aside, this book is great, although I don't know if I could recommend it for a non Java programmer as it refers to what's going on ...more
Christophe Addinquy
This is a text that "do the job", written without weaknesses but without passion also. Both authors work in the language team, so they probably are passionate about the language and producing the book was maybe part of the job ? Overall, this is a decent book to discover the language. If you whish to take a first ride with Kotlin, it could be the right pick.
Ma note de lecture en Français ici
Volker Leck
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great intro to the language, from the source.
Amr
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I only completed half the book, but I think I got what I need from it, to get a quick overview on kotlin and how I could understand how it is compiled under the hood. I wont read the second part right now, because I’d rather spend it on other books, but will come back later when I need a deeper look on Kotlin

• Effective Java Programming Language Guide
  • The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers
  • Test Driven Development: By Example
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • Thinking in Java
  • Reactive Programming with RxJava: Creating Asynchronous, Event-Based Applications
  • KOTLIN FOR ANDROID DEVELOPERS: LEARN KOTLIN THE EASY WAY WHILE DEVELOPING AN ANDROID APP
  • Java Puzzlers: Traps, Pitfalls, and Corner Cases
  • Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code
  • Kubernetes in Action
  • Effective C++: 55 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs
  • Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »