Start by marking “Stone Cold” as Want to Read:
Stone Cold

Stone Cold

'It's like parachuting. Get the first jump over and it becomes routine, but you mustn't get complacent. Check your parachute every time.'

Homeless on the streets of London, 16 year old Link feels he has become an invisible outcast. When he meets streetwise Ginger, life becomes more bearable and he learns the tricks of survival. But when Ginger goes missing, Link feels a
Published June 9th 1997 by Heinemann Educational Publishers (first published March 30th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Stone Cold, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
TheDaughterOfNike Not really, it felt very rushed and anticlimactic. I also didn't like the fact that Gail was actually a journalist, this is how it felt to me:

Link- oh…more

Link- oh Gail I love
Gail- soz I'm a journalist, you mean nothing to me, have a tenner
Link- oh I don't care at all thanks

And they both leave like nothing has happened. I agree that Gail should have stayed with Link, however I wasn't such a big fan of their relationship but it would have been better than the journalist thing
Maybe if it had a different ending I would have enjoyed it more... Shame.(less)
Swagmoneyking2015 Yolocashking ggy is a good mate of mine from back the hood, mess with him, I mess with you homes. Word

Start your review of Stone Cold
Tayla
Jun 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, but the ending was a bit of an anti-climax.
Alannah Clarke
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
My sister was talking about this book along with others she had done for her GCSE English and English Language course, among the books she had, this appeared to interest me most. Probably because it was one that I have not read before, even while I was going through my GCSEs.

The novella gripped me from the first page, I automatically began to feel sorry for the character Link as he ended up homeless through a bad situation at home like many other people in the United Kingdom today. Reading this
A Bookish ✧ Fable
DNF'ed at 70%
Will Tetley
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Do you ever walk past a homeless person sitting on the side of the street and wonder to yourself how they feel or what is going through their mind? Well Stone Cold written by Robert Swindells is a novel about exactly that. Swindells is a multi-award winning English author. His other popular books include Room 13, Brother in the Land and Nightmare Stairs. Stone Cold is one of his most popular novels and has won the prestigious Carnegie Medal.

Stone Cold starts off when Link (not his real name but
Bea  Alex
Apr 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: school
Liv Wright
Oct 02, 2015 rated it liked it
I read some of this with school. Normally when you read books with school you never finish them and they always tend to be quite boring. Well according to my stereotype i did never finish it but it wasnt actually that boring, although in some parts iI'm not gonna lie were boring. Me and my friend were just dreading the idea of having to get this book out and read yet another chapter. In the end though we agreed that it was in actual fact wasn't as bad as we initially thought.
I'd say that
m A d D i E
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
4.2 **
this book was actually so good. it’s not worth 5 stars but still was a good read. i got a bit confused with the perspectives at some point after the middle of the book but i soon realised what was happening. honestly the end could have been done better, it’s kind of like the book was just explained in 3 pages and i was a little like “what the fuck” but it’s ok. i recommend this book to people who like mystery and murder (that’s not a spoiler). this book was really easy to read but i’m on a
Megan
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
I read this book with my english class at school and it seemed like a very good book at first. Then we started to learn more about Shelter and his evil mind, i felt that i was more interested in what happened with him then Link and the others. i also felt that the ending was very rushed, i wish it had gone in to more detail about Shelter being arrested and Gail life, and maybe a more darker story line.
♔Umayyah♔
Jul 14, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read this is school. This book was boring and if it hadn't been for school I wouldn't have read it. I didn't look forward to reading the book and it made the schoolwork that much worse because there wasn't much to write about.
I don't know why this book was picked especially because there was the option to choose other books that were definitely better.
Josefine May
Sep 29, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hated it from the start. Only read it because I had to.
Joanna Eaton
Jul 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
Had to read this for school, it was okay but nothing special, a pretty boring storyline with an extremely annoying main character. I wouldnt re comend reading this out of choice.
Rosemary
Link is seventeen when he leaves home in the north of England for London, to escape family issues. He can’t find work and is soon homeless. He meets up with Ginger and makes a friend, but then Ginger disappears.

This is a short book that tries to combine a gritty look at life on the streets for young homeless people with a murder mystery. I don’t think it’s long enough to do justice to both. The homelessness theme is covered well in the beginning, but then it gets lost in the murders. The ending
Sam H
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was thinking of saying every single teenager should read this book. After consideration I think every single person should read this book. This book follows the fate of homeless teen Link. The book describes homelessness through Link’s eyes and explains the plight of these homeless youngsters in graphic factual detail. Facts that everyone should consider. This book will definitely make me think twice next time I walk past a homeless person.
Emily | Literary Edits
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-4-stars, ya
I read this book at school when I was about 13 or 14 and I absolutely loved it. It is well written and the story is superbly crafted. I really felt the tension and came to be genuinely afraid of what was happening. It has a very urban setting and would probably be quite disturbing for a younger audience; I think I was about the right age for it.
Isaac
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it for school. Didn’t really like it, but didn’t dislike it either.
Chiara
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
it is like a "no-story" "no plot". Very boring. Useless and the reasoning isn't bright.
Fionn
Jan 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
good but slightly to short for my liking
Luke Speirs
A very sinister book that explores homelessness. A poor boy is forced to leave his family due to a nasty relationship with his stepfather. As he learns the way of the street, an army-obsessed killer is on the loose looking to clean up the streets and gather the bodies of his homeless victims as ‘recruits’. The story is told from the perspective of both the boy and the killer. A risky book for upper KS2!
Sharaban
Feb 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017-reads
Read for school in 2017. Forgot to add it. Hated it.
Tommy Hidaya
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jon Margetts
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
Swindells' book is relatively rote in its portrayal of life on the streets as a homeless youth, with coverage of the majority of expected themes: society, family, poverty, death, friendship, causes and dangers of homelessness. Most conspicuously missing are narcotics or alcohol (only alluded to a couple of times, if I remember correctly) - which is odd considering other more explicit material - prostitution and theft, for example - are addressed. At 132 pages long, such deeper explorations ...more
Lör K.
Within Stone Cold Swindells writes about a young man, homeless on the streets of London, struggling to get by day to day. The book follows Link through the dangers of living on the streets, and really opens your eyes to what living on the streets is like.

The writing haunts me, the experiences Link goes through still haunts me, ever since I read it back in Year 8. This book is well written, and the words seem to embed themselves in your mind, never leaving you alone, even years after you've read
Charlotte
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was not what I was expecting. Link's narrative was achingly raw and brutally honest but it was Shelter's Daily Routine Orders that fascinated me. I loved the insanity pitch and his justification for murder. That sounds grim I know, but it's rare that I come across a motive for killing in fiction that hasn't been done before in one variation or another. I really felt like Swindells put me inside Shelter's head, right down to his reasoning regarding Sappho and patterns. 'Stone Cold' ...more
Jemma
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I don't want to ruin the ending of this book; but it did take a while to get there. Swindells' chopping and changing of the characters was good; as Swindells had used two fonts to distinguish the two different characters. I also like the way it was written in the First Person. I found that the first half of the novel was rather slow paced and there was not much action occurring within the pages; however, I understand that this was in create the world and explain why the characters were the way ...more
Vanessa
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've had to read this very quickly for my new S4 class. I have to say, it was an entertaining and quick read. I genuinely felt for the main character Link, his situation was so horrible. However, I loved the alternate narration of 'Shelter' - extremely creepy and very effective. A genuinely entertaining little book.
Matthew Evers
Mar 18, 2015 rated it liked it
It wasn't spectacular but it was better than I expected. The book really shines a light on how the homeless live their everyday lives and it makes you wonder what you would do in the same situation. Would've prefered a happier ending, but like this book teaches us, life just ain't fair is it?
Aimee
I had to read this for uni and while it wasn't my thing I liked the chapters from Shelters POV and I definitely didn't see the plot twist with Gail coming which I liked. If I read this sort of book and didn't HAVE to read it I may have enjoyed it more.
Hannah
Mar 15, 2012 added it
its such a great book i absolutely loved it
Megan
May 03, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Too rushed at the end.
Kristin
Mar 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
I had to read this book for school didnt really like this book, I found it hard to read and predictable.
What's the Name o...: Homeless boy HELP! [s] 3 60 Nov 21, 2011 01:51AM